Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chevin Calloway(4* DB)

Started by CamArk08, November 27, 2016, 08:30:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CamArk08

He just had an in home visit with Paul Rhoads, Robb Smith and Vernon. Man this would be a huge get for our defense. 247sports has us at a 47% to get him.

The_Boot_stops_here

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 27, 2016, 08:44:57 pm
Need 10 more like him

I'll start with him, though.  Possible difference maker at CB.  Throw in Brown at S, and we have an immediate talent upgrade in the secondary.  We need that anywhere we can get it. 

On paper, I feel like last class was maybe BB's best with the excretion of crappy OL recruiting again.  Anywho, the front 7 recruiting might have real potential.  Maybe, in a couple years, we have another 2014 situation where we actually have a handful of NFL caliber defensive players.

Will be interested to see what ultimately happens with Agim.  Is he really a DT, or is he ultimately a DE?

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 09:26:55 pm
I'll start with him, though.  Possible difference maker at CB.  Throw in Brown at S, and we have an immediate talent upgrade in the secondary.  We need that anywhere we can get it. 

On paper, I feel like last class was maybe BB's best with the excretion of crappy OL recruiting again.  Anywho, the front 7 recruiting might have real potential.  Maybe, in a couple years, we have another 2014 situation where we actually have a handful of NFL caliber defensive players.

Will be interested to see what ultimately happens with Agim.  Is he really a DT, or is he ultimately a DE?

I am hoping like all get out that there is a coaching and/or philosophy change that puts big-ass 325 pound neanderthals at DT and we keep the weight off of Agim so he can be really productive at DE.

Agree on Calloway and Brown. Not that you want 4 true frosh starting in your secondary (yikes) but having players who can step in and grab 20-30% of the reps by mid-year is a decent goal, right? We do graduate two CBs so there will be playing time.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 11:20:22 pm
I am hoping like all get out that there is a coaching and/or philosophy change that puts big-ass 325 pound neanderthals at DT and we keep the weight off of Agim so he can be really productive at DE.

Agreed.

smokeyB_blues

If we got Calloway we could possibly put Brown and Calloway at CB them along with Ryan Pulley would immediately change our defense

a0ashle

Don't forget Tutt's return. It remains to be seen how much he will contribute, but he isn't a frosh.

Bubba's Bruisers

Agree on Calloway and Brown. Not that you want 4 true frosh starting in your secondary (yikes) but having players who can step in and grab 20-30% of the reps by mid-year is a decent goal, right? We do graduate two CBs so there will be playing time.

Completely agree.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

RedyorNot

Quote from: a0ashle on November 28, 2016, 08:54:28 am
Don't forget Tutt's return. It remains to be seen how much he will contribute, but he isn't a frosh.
I forgot about Tutt, Rhodes seemed pretty high on him till he got hurt. I also wouldn't mind Reid seeing the field more, if nothing else he at least plays hard till the whistle.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: smokeyB_blues on November 28, 2016, 08:34:11 am
If we got Calloway we could possibly put Brown and Calloway at CB them along with Ryan Pulley would immediately change our defense
I love Brown's play recognition at safety. He reads the play quickly and attacks.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 28, 2016, 10:40:31 am
I love Brown's play recognition at safety. He reads the play quickly and attacks.

Well, I hate to say it, but he's going to need a few pounds to tackle Bo Scarborough, as do our LB's, haha.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 10:41:40 am
Well, I hate to say it, but he's going to need a few pounds to tackle Bo Scarborough, as do our LB's, haha.
That's the case with every other team that plays Bama. Take out them legs ala Bob Sanders.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 28, 2016, 10:55:37 am
That's the case with every other team that plays Bama. Take out them legs ala Bob Sanders.

Dem legs are tree trunks.....

onebadrubi

Quote from: RedyorNot on November 28, 2016, 10:36:30 am
I forgot about Tutt, Rhodes seemed pretty high on him till he got hurt. I also wouldn't mind Reid seeing the field more, if nothing else he at least plays hard till the whistle.

I believe he is the one that whiffed on the tackle in the fake punt

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 10:41:40 am

Well a proper defense won't have a safety and a RB one on one. A safety's job is is to finish a RB off, make sure he isn't falling for that extra yard or two.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 28, 2016, 12:13:47 pm
Well a proper defense won't have a safety and a RB one on one. A safety's job is is to finish a RB off, make sure he isn't falling for that extra yard or two.

Safeties have to make tackles all the time in run fits, especially read options.

WriterWrong

It is my uninformed, non-important opinion that the one person that will be let go is Segrest. Our DL has done absolutely nothing the past two years. That really affects everything else in the defense. We can't waste the time we have with Agim. Need a coach who is going to get this line playing well. I don't believe we have him right now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 12:21:16 pm
Safeties have to make tackles all the time in run fits, especially read options.

In a 4-3 a safety making a tackle on a RB means good offensive play. Every RB coach wants his RB just to have the opportunity to be one on one with just a safety, rb's win that battle 9.5 times out of 10, the .5 are for the chancellors of the world. But even he plays in the box a majority of the time very similar to a OLB

a0ashle

Liddel and Ramirez were both brought closer to the line to help our run support... then we couldn't cover the long ball. I think it was Biggus who mentioned having sheet too small for our bed.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 28, 2016, 01:00:55 pm
In a 4-3 a safety making a tackle on a RB means good offensive play. Every RB coach wants his RB just to have the opportunity to be one on one with just a safety, rb's win that battle 9.5 times out of 10, the .5 are for the chancellors of the world. But even he plays in the box a majority of the time very similar to a OLB

What coaches want, and what happens are not always the same. Watch a football game and tell me how many times a safety has to come up to make a tackle on a run outside the tackle. It may not be the preferred guy to make the tackle, but when they've blocked the other guys, your safety Damon well better be there or we watch the back of his jersey.

a0ashle

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 01:04:13 pm
What coaches want, and what happens are not always the same. Watch a football game and tell me how many times a safety has to come up to make a tackle on a run outside the tackle. It may not be the preferred guy to make the tackle, but when they've blocked the other guys, your safety Damon well better be there or we watch the back of his jersey.

How many tackles did TA&M's Watts have on us...he sniffed our RBs out pretty will from the S position.

jwilliamson67

Quote from: a0ashle on November 28, 2016, 08:54:28 am

kevin richardson too

Oklahawg

Jordan Curtis, DB commit from Jenks, will be on the field as a true FR at nickel or CB. He is amazing and plays at the highest level of HS competition. I am not sure how he is not a 4-star recruit.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LRHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 28, 2016, 03:28:10 pm
Jordan Curtis, DB commit from Jenks, will be on the field as a true FR at nickel or CB. He is amazing and plays at the highest level of HS competition. I am not sure how he is not a 4-star recruit.

He shows a a RB commit. Maybe because of his HS position. I remember checking his tape out and was surprised he wasn't offered by more schools.

WriterWrong

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 28, 2016, 03:28:10 pm
I am not sure how he is not a 4-star recruit.

Because he's committed to Arkansas, of course

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LRHawg on November 28, 2016, 04:04:31 pm
He shows a a RB commit. Maybe because of his HS position. I remember checking his tape out and was surprised he wasn't offered by more schools.
We announced from day 1 that he was a CB recruit.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawginbigd1

The good defenses in the country have safeties making run stops at or near the LOS, the bad ones like ours do not.

Oklahawg

Quote from: LRHawg on November 28, 2016, 04:04:31 pm

He is a pretty salty RB as well. His father and HS coach concluded a couple of years ago that Curtis would be a perfect fit for the hybrid S/OLB/CB like what Tolliver started the year playing...the inside CB against the spread. When Bielema told them last summer that UA saw him as the prototypical nickel back that clinched the deal.

HoggusMaximus

I'm no recruiting guru, honestly I know very little. My question is if he is as good as you are saying Okla, why the suitor list. Other schools just not in the know?

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 28, 2016, 09:05:57 pm
I'm no recruiting guru, honestly I know very little. My question is if he is as good as you are saying Okla, why the suitor list. Other schools just not in the know?

He didn't start for Jenks at RB until this year, playing more and more as a backup as the playoffs kept going (2015). He was the only returning starter for the Jenks defense (tells you something about him as a player and the program as a whole).

OU and OSU hurt their chances by talking about RB or CB, maybe, while CBB happened to suggest the exact position the player and his inner circle see as his optimal position. I think he was 170-ish last year and that would be light in the britches but he is heavier this year and runs away from people.

jackflash

Do we still have a chance at he CB from Oklahoma Brown

Nosboar Accubond

Would be the highest rated corner we've signed in many years.

ricepig

I'm guessing he's a NSD or that time frame to announce guy?

Oklahawg

Quote from: jackflash on November 29, 2016, 08:22:08 am
Do we still have a chance at he CB from Oklahoma Brown

The buzz on Tre Brown from Tulsa Union (commit to OU) has died down. When he visited unofficially earlier in the year he really was excited about it.

HoggusMaximus

Did we get some picks for calloway recently? or has it always been at 60%

carolinahogger

Quote from: WriterWrong on November 28, 2016, 04:13:18 pm
Because he's committed to Arkansas, of course

Yes, because our recruits are always underrated as proven by our 7-5 record.

moto625

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 03, 2016, 11:36:20 pm

Correct

King Kong

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 03, 2016, 11:36:20 pm

You could actually make that argument as only one of our losses was to a team that we out recruit.

Compared to 2 wins against teams that out recruit us in Ole Piss and FL.

a0ashle

Do we need this bull in the Recruiting Board? Plenty of threads in MMQB to hash out your frustrations.

Oklahawg

Quote from: a0ashle on December 04, 2016, 08:40:23 am
Do we need this bull in the Recruiting Board? Plenty of threads in MMQB to hash out your frustrations.

Cosign.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: King Kong on December 04, 2016, 08:29:35 am
You could actually make that argument as only one of our losses was to a team that we out recruit.

Compared to 2 wins against teams that out recruit us in Ole Piss and FL.

I'll give you OM, but not FL.  FL is more talented all around, but were terrible at the most important position on the field.  It makes that much difference.  It's why we've had so much success against LSU lately.  If either team has just adequate passing game, then we're in trouble.

Hogdomer

To get this back on topic, the main Texas message board predicts Calloway to Arkansas (Texas staff offered him last week). 

3kgthog

He does have one of the most impressive offer lists we've seen in awhile. For a CB legitimately interested in Arkansas, probably the best since we lucked into Michael Grant or snagged Batman and Lawrence Richardson.

Hogdomer

Bishop Dunne has some Hog connections.  Rawleigh Williams' younger brother goes there and Jabril Durham's nephew does as well.  I met Jabril's uncle at a bball game there last year.  He had on a razorback shirt and hat, as did several students.  Can't hurt.

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 05, 2016, 11:29:32 am
He does have one of the most impressive offer lists we've seen in awhile. For a CB legitimately interested in Arkansas, probably the best since we lucked into Michael Grant or snagged Batman and Lawrence Richardson.

Last year we made it all the way down to the final 2 or 3 on the number one Safety (I know not CB but a DB) and then Fulton.  We just have to start inking a few of these...

hogoffate

I'm with you.. however I wish we would link a lot of these.

WPS

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 11:48:40 am
Last year we made it all the way down to the final 2 or 3 on the number one Safety (I know not CB but a DB) and then Fulton.  We just have to start inking a few of these...

Great point.

Richard Davenport

parallaxpig

Quote from: Richard Davenport on December 05, 2016, 08:09:04 pm
Like Arkansas' chances here.

RD.

Whats your guess on how many slots you think we will have left to fill after bowl game.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,