Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where are the Texas recruits?

Started by redleg, November 22, 2016, 01:48:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Historically, Arkansas has gone after recruits in Texas. The best teams in Razorback history were chocked full of players from the Lone Star state. So what happened? I realize that Texas A&M joining the SEC put a serious damper on players leaving for other schools outside of the state of Texas, but the Aggies can't get them all. The Longhorns get their fair share too, but other than that, Arkansas always competed quite well with the other Texas schools for some of the best players!
That does not seem to be the case over the last few recruiting classes. There are only 2 from Texas currently committed for the 2017 class. 2016 had 4, as did 2015 and one of those players has already transferred. 2014 there was 1. One lousy signee from Texas, and that was a kicker!   >:(
I know CBB is signing players from other parts of the country, and he's been hitting Florida and Louisiana really hard. That's great! But surely he knows the Hogs recruiting history, and history proves that Arkansas MUST sign numerous quality recruits from Texas to be competitive on a consistent basis!
So.....
what gives?!  ???
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Quote from: redleg on November 22, 2016, 01:48:15 pm
Historically, Arkansas has gone after recruits in Texas. The best teams in Razorback history were chocked full of players from the Lone Star state. So what happened? I realize that Texas A&M joining the SEC put a serious damper on players leaving for other schools outside of the state of Texas, but the Aggies can't get them all. The Longhorns get their fair share too, but other than that, Arkansas always competed quite well with the other Texas schools for some of the best players!
That does not seem to be the case over the last few recruiting classes. There are only 2 from Texas currently committed for the 2017 class. 2016 had 4, as did 2015 and one of those players has already transferred. 2014 there was 1. One lousy signee from Texas, and that was a kicker!   >:(
I know CBB is signing players from other parts of the country, and he's been hitting Florida and Louisiana really hard. That's great! But surely he knows the Hogs recruiting history, and history proves that Arkansas MUST sign numerous quality recruits from Texas to be competitive on a consistent basis!
So.....
what gives?!  ???

Can't be right, there was a 4 page thread on MMBQ telling us that Texas's players were overrated and soft. As far as where they are going, to Big 12 schools and PAC 12 schools that run the spread. The vast majority of these kids know nothing besides spread football, both sides of the ball.

AirWarren

So.....
what gives?!  ???

I wouldn't imagine the Texas recruits are in Texas.

Hugo Bezdek

So.....
what gives?!  ???

I think the biggest thing really is that we are having more success recruiting LA and FL players than in the past. I don't see why that's a bad thing. By my count we have 13 scholarship players from TX, which is second to AR players (24). After that we have 9 each from LA and FL, followed by 4 each from GA and MO. Those are all talent-rich states that we're developing in-roads to.

howie76

Recent success of tcu,Baylor, and Houston doesn't help wither

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on November 22, 2016, 03:20:02 pm
I wouldn't imagine the Texas recruits are in Texas.
Well I would imagine they ARE in Texas ;)

razored

CBB probably stopped crutin TexAss cause the linemen don't weigh enough.

Danny J

Quote from: razored on November 22, 2016, 05:37:51 pm
CBB probably stopped crutin TexAss cause the linemen don't weigh enough.
I read on this board he recruits big and slow...so that's why we don't recruit from Texas. They too fast...

Oklahawg

Baylor, TCU, and others have made TX recruiting a dirtier game than it once was. That is distasteful and may contribute to UA being more focused on who we pursue from TX.

That said, I'd say we are doing just fine with TX recruiting. Can't sign 'em all.

We were finalists for quite a few elite TX recruits the last couple of years. Land 1-2 of those and the perception shifts a lot.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

IronMountainHog

Texas Tech has a roster full of Texas recruits and just got rolled by a 2-9 Iowa State team 66-10. Poor Kliff 😂

varrichione

Having the A&M game in DFW was supposed to yield better results in Texas.  We currently have two commits.  That's not worth losing a home game every other year.  Our new defensive coordinator needs to have strong Texas recruiting ties.

The_Iceman

We have put a greater focus on Louisiana going after the LSU leftovers. Not a bad strategy to be honest.

jackflash

even with success we had in LA and FL we need Texas to get where we want to be

redleg

Recruiting the state of Texas is vital to Arkansas' success on the football field. Regardless what other schools are doing, CBB needs to make a concerted effort to recruit the Dallas-Ft. Worth area much harder. Houston too, but A&M and the recent success of UH make recruiting there more difficult.
If Bielema could ever actually BEAT Texas A&M, I think that might help too!

onebadrubi

Whaley and Pool are the most recent success stories. We hope RW3 little brother as well. We won't have a high hit rate with the top Texas talent, but if we can continue to pluck a couple a year I'm satisfied with that.

RazrRila99

Quote from: varrichione on November 22, 2016, 11:30:44 pm
Having the A&M game in DFW was supposed to yield better results in Texas.  We currently have two commits.  That's not worth losing a home game every other year.  Our new defensive coordinator needs to have strong Texas recruiting ties.

This makes absolutely NO sense to me.  Arent we getting $5M/yr there base then more when we are "home" team?  Or did that agreement change when aTm came to the SEC?

ricepig

Quote from: RazrRila99 on November 23, 2016, 09:54:56 am
This makes absolutely NO sense to me.  Arent we getting $5M/yr there base then more when we are "home" team?  Or did that agreement change when aTm came to the SEC?

We get more money, we get a game with our largest alumni base outside of Arkansas, we a game when we are the home team where we can have recruits there, and we get exposure for our overall university for perspective students in the DFW area.

RazrRila99

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2016, 10:18:24 am
We get more money, we get a game with our largest alumni base outside of Arkansas, we a game when we are the home team where we can have recruits there, and we get exposure for our overall university for perspective students in the DFW area.

I was making case why its GOOD we play at JerryWorld.  That said, I completely forgot about the non-football/sports aspect of the reason for UofA to play in DFW.  Thank you for the reminder. 

Plus, would we be as in on Bumper Pool or have got Devwah without the DFW exposure (Granted Uncle Terry had a huge push to UofA).

ricepig

Quote from: RazrRila99 on November 23, 2016, 12:17:06 pm
I was making case why its GOOD we play at JerryWorld.  That said, I completely forgot about the non-football/sports aspect of the reason for UofA to play in DFW.  Thank you for the reminder. 

Plus, would we be as in on Bumper Pool or have got Devwah without the DFW exposure (Granted Uncle Terry had a huge push to UofA).

Probably Pool as his grandfather, parents, maybe just father, and a sibling attend or attended the UofA.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2016, 06:29:22 am

We have put a greater focus on Louisiana going after the LSU leftovers. Not a bad strategy to be honest.

Oklahoma, Alabama,  Mississippi, Auburn, etc......also recruit from Louisiana.  There is plenty of competition for Louisiana players.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area alone....has the population equal to the whole state of Louisiana. Other big cities include, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. The state of Texas has plenty of major college football players, & they play good football.  We need to always keep this as a major recruiting area....not to, would be a huge mistake.  RW II & Whaley both came from Texas.  We couldn't afford to have missed those 2.   
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ricepig

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 25, 2016, 07:11:34 pm
Oklahoma, Alabama,  Mississippi, Auburn, etc......also recruit from Louisiana.  There is plenty of competition for Louisiana players.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area alone....has the population equal to the whole state of Louisiana. Other big cities include, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. The state of Texas has plenty of major college football players, & they play good football.  We need to always keep this as a major recruiting area....not to, would be a huge mistake.  RW II & Whaley both came from Texas.  We couldn't afford to have missed those 2.   

The highest percentage per capita of NFL players come from LA. We need to go wherever we can to get some more speex, especially on defense.

Wildhog

We don't recruit Texas well, anymore.  The sooner people realize this, the better.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 12:39:55 am
We don't recruit Texas well, anymore.  The sooner people realize this, the better.

RWIII and Whaley are good players. Problem with Texas right now is Todd Dodge and Briles and Morris led the spread offense takeover at the high school level to the point they have made Texas football soft. It shows in A&M and Texas and OU to an extent.  The OT from Allen who went to OM summed it when he said he likes spread football because of lack of contact. How do you recruit from that culture?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 26, 2016, 12:45:29 am
RWIII and Whaley are good players. Problem with Texas right now is Todd Dodge and Briles and Morris led the spread offense takeover at the high school level to the point they have made Texas football soft. It shows in A&M and Texas and OU to an extent.  The OT from Allen who went to OM summed it when he said he likes spread football because of lack of contact. How do you recruit from that culture?

I didn't say we couldn't get good players out of Texas. 

The problem is we spend so much time and money in Texas with so few players to show for it.  We're just not very efficient with how we spend our resources.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 01:09:30 am

The problem is we spend so much time and money in Texas with so few players to show for it.  We're just not very efficient with how we spend our resources.
. I agree. Said it for years. Especially now with the spread virus having taken over Texas.

The Dallas series was a stupid idea oversold in terms of what it would do for recruiting although it has probably helped the university's brand in Texas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 01:09:30 am

We don't have an ace Texass recruiter. We change our lead guy down there every year, because they leave. When we make our defensive staff changes, hopefully we get a better Florida and a better Texas recruiter. One can wish, correct?

BirmingHam

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2016, 07:32:09 am
We don't have an ace Texass recruiter. We change our lead guy down there every year, because they leave. When we make our defensive staff changes, hopefully we get a better Florida and a better Texas recruiter. One can wish, correct?

Yep, we need a Strong recruiter who has recruited those areas well.

Muskliketusk

We don't need no Texas kids. Ain't a school recruiting Texas hard that better un us.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

jackflash

I will take Calloway and day of the week

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

passinghog

We need to continue to focus on getting more players from the Deep South, this is where the best players are. Continue to dig deeper into Louisiana. If we're going to try to be more efficient with resources in Texas, the SEC quality athletes are predominantly in the Houston area and eastward. Lot of competition there with A&M and LSU, but that's the goldmine..

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2016, 07:32:09 am

But the main problem is there are more and more teams competing for  TX talent.  Many are TX schools.  The emergence of Baylor and TCU and Houston have created a log jam.  TX will still get who they want, as will A$M.  OU depends on TX as does OSU.  The pool is getting crowded, and just about everyone in the pool is measurably more connected than UA.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PEtrader

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 26, 2016, 08:39:36 pm
We need to continue to focus on getting more players from the Deep South, this is where the best players are. Continue to dig deeper into Louisiana. If we're going to try to be more efficient with resources in Texas, the SEC quality athletes are predominantly in the Houston area and eastward. Lot of competition there with A&M and LSU, but that's the goldmine..

Going to be hard to compete against coach O
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PEtrader on November 26, 2016, 10:50:01 pm
Going to be hard to compete against coach O

We weren't beating LSU on anyone when Les was there either. So no change there

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 26, 2016, 10:59:58 pm
We weren't beating LSU on anyone when Les was there either. So no change there

Correct, no change in LA, unless Ed gives out more in-state offers than Les.

jackflash

we done pretty good in Texas on the offensive side of the ball .Defensive side of the ball is where we are failing

FrozenHam

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 26, 2016, 01:02:59 pm

After head coaching their flagship university for three years, Charlie would certainly have intimate knowledge of Texas high schools, and yesterday's news suggests Charlie may be able to make strong arguments for leaving Texas.  Hope he's interested in Arkansas.

hawgmasta

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 26, 2016, 01:02:59 pm

I see what you did there, and I like it.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 27, 2016, 11:38:52 am
If Charlie Strong takes another coaching job in the next two years, he will forfeit close to FIVE MILLION DOLLARS he is currently owed by Texas.

Bielema has had four years to build on relationships in Texas.  I think one problem is a lot of high-caliber players don't see him as a leader they want to play for.

Wrong, it's a deduction equal to 50% of his salary at the new school, read the contract.

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/charliestrong-uta-employment-contract.pdf

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2016, 07:38:45 pm

The highest percentage per capita of NFL players come from LA. We need to go wherever we can to get some more speex, especially on defense.

Agree, we need to go wherever we need to, no argument there.  The 3 states that had the highest number of 3 star or better recruits that were D1 signees the last few years  are Florida, Texas & Calif.  Texas was #1.....  Florida was #2....  & Calif #3.  Texas had 4 times as many as Louisiana. 

We need to recruit better & harder everywhere, but we certainly need to do a better job in Texas.  It's close & has a ton of talent that we could use.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Next1_04

Another interesting take on Texas struggles. Even with A&M who went 8-4 who is supposedly "soaking up" all Texas recruits who want to play in the SEC.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/117225/why-was-the-state-of-texas-so-bad-in-2016

Pig in the Pokey

December 14, 2016, 11:58:13 am #42 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:37:27 pm by Pig in the Pokey
Quote from: Next1_04 on December 14, 2016, 10:56:29 am
Another interesting take on Texas struggles. Even with A&M who went 8-4 who is supposedly "soaking up" all Texas recruits who want to play in the SEC.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/117225/why-was-the-state-of-texas-so-bad-in-2016
For the first time since September 1997, not one Texas team is ranked in the AP Top 25. If Houston and A&M fail to win their bowl games, they'll ensure that the state gets shut out of the final AP poll for the first time in almost 50 years.

please let this happen!! Or , at least let it be only Houston ranked. That works, too. hehehehehehehhehee ;D ::hornsdown::

Also, Brandon Martin and Javier Edwards... 2 more Texas kids coming your way.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TX HOG

Wonder if Jeff Traylor got a new job anywhere. Whoever hires Jeff can almost guarantee lots of Texas kids immediately being interested in that program, especially East Texas.

Bubba's Bruisers

Too many programs firmly entrenched in TX recruiting these days.  Easily more entrenched than we are.  And it shows in our recruiting. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 14, 2016, 11:58:13 am
For the first time since September 1997, not one Texas team is ranked in the AP Top 25. If Houston and A&M fail to win their bowl games, they’ll ensure that the state gets shut out of the final AP poll for the first time in almost 50 years.

please let this happen!! Or , at least let it be only Houston ranked. That works, too. hehehehehehehhehee ;D ::hornsdown::

Also, Brandon Martin and Javier Edwards... 2 more Texas kids coming your way.

Martin is from LA. Just went to prep school in Texas.

ICEman

There are approximately 10,000 of them sitting in various classrooms on the hill on any given weekday.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

redleg

Quote from: ICEman on December 15, 2016, 06:48:13 am
There are approximately 10,000 of them sitting in various classrooms on the hill on any given weekday.
And how many of those 10,000 play football for the school?

jackflash

they say we can't recruit Texas? if the NCAA allows a ten coach. I say lets hire a pure Texas recruiter and go from there. I don't think we given our self are real shot at recruiting Texas. You can't bring in someone who's not known in Texas and recruit  there

ricepig

Quote from: jackflash on December 16, 2016, 03:03:56 pm
they say we can't recruit Texas? if the NCAA allows a ten coach. I say lets hire a pure Texas recruiter and go from there. I don't think we given our self are real shot at recruiting Texas. You can't bring in someone who's not known in Texas and recruit  there

We had Clay Jennings former TCU coach, so, I wouldn't say we haven't had anyone from Texas.