Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

$100 hops and hamburger thread

Started by gotyacovered, March 02, 2012, 03:53:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

places to fly.

been somewhere to eat? or just "to go"? give us a PIREP.

Ill start. (dont laugh)

i was told that i needed to eat at the pine bluff airport sometime, not even sure of the name, so i did. it was soul food, and it was awesome. not the place to go if you are trying to eat lite. but it was great. beware, there were some catfish 'steaks' (and filets), while very tasty, there were a lot of bones.

flew up to benton to see some fam, ended up going to dinner at Luigi's pizza and pasta, it was good, highly recommend the rock city specialty pizza.

my middle leg xc i stopped in LR and snagged a burger at Central. good stuff.

i have been to Hot Springs 5-6 times now, hit the races, back porch (cowboy cut bone in ribeye), villa (manicotti side of meatballs, highly recommend the meatballs), big chill (they just added on a no smoking section, it is VERY nice and of course the beer is cold). all come highly recommended, the airport staff is very helpful and friendly.

went to magnolia for business and hit up flying burger, it is also very good. KAGO has a courtesy car.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

I have only been to a few fly in restaurants.

Lamberts at Sikeston  KSIK Home of the Throwed Rolls  They will pick you up and take you through the back door straight to a table . It does not matter if the line is 2 hours long.

LuLu' s Gulf Shores Alabama Jimmy Buffetts sister

Patti's Country Kitchen and 1880's village  Kentucky Lam Dam

Gaston's  I land at Baxter county but they have a grass strip at the restaurant. I would like to do the grass but another Saratoga did not make it out of there a few years ago so I am a little wary. I have also heard it was a pretty bumpy strip.

Of Course Central

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on March 02, 2012, 08:36:05 pm
I have only been to a few fly in restaurants.

Lamberts at Sikeston  KSIK Home of the Throwed Rolls  They will pick you up and take you through the back door straight to a table . It does not matter if the line is 2 hours long.

LuLu' s Gulf Shores Alabama Jimmy Buffetts sister

Patti's Country Kitchen and 1880's village  Kentucky Lam Dam

Gaston's  I land at Baxter county but they have a grass strip at the restaurant. I would like to do the grass but another Saratoga did not make it out of there a few years ago so I am a little wary. I have also heard it was a pretty bumpy strip.

Of Course Central

Lamberts looks really cool.

Isn't gastons one way in, one way out for most aircraft?

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 02, 2012, 09:07:14 pm
Lamberts looks really cool.

Isn't gastons one way in, one way out for most aircraft?

Yes.  24 Landing  06 Take Off.
Iwould love to hear some PIREPS of the surface. I have conflicting reports.

Flying Razorback

March 04, 2012, 10:50:36 pm #4 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:28:34 am by gotyacovered
This is basically what I have done as an instructor the past 4 years.  I like Amarillo's English Field House and Ponca City, OK has one of the best mexican restaurants I have ever visited (Enrique's I think?..).  My all time favorite is probably Chennault in Lake Charles, LA.  Great cajun seafood.

Most of the time I take the courtesy car and we go eat a specific place in town.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Hankweb

I agree...Enrique's does have good Mexican food (not Tek Mex) at Ponca City - PNC and Barnstormers in Enid - WDG is decent (not Mexican) and both are on the ramp.
The place in Lake Charles - CWF has great cajun food that they get from a local place and if you'll call ahead on the unicom they'll have it there at the FBO waiting on you. Also in Louisiana is New Iberia - ARA where they have good (not as good as CWF!) cajun food for 2 bucks!!...and it includes ice cream.
LuLu's has been mentioned... in Gulf Shores - JKA has a great variety of food, excellent seafood, and typically a lively and busy atmosphere. Most of the many times I've been there they've run me over and back in a golf cart but if not the courtesy car is typically available for the 6 block drive. Another you might try in that area is FlorAla Muni - OJ4 northwest of Pensacola on the AL FL line. Was an honor buffet at one time, and it may still be...it's over a year since I've been there, With pork butt, burgers, etc and fixings. There's no avgas here by the way and be aware of the helicopters and military trainers that the buffet was originated for.

In Arkansas Lakeview/Gaston's - 3MO is definitely my favorite. I've flown a 172, 182, and a 210 in and out multiple times and an A36 many times. The strip is 3200 ft and I wouldn't call it rough at all although the approach end does have some undulations that can maybe get your attention but overall it's in great shape. It is one way in and out always unless there are mitigating circumstances. The site picture can be a bit intimidating when you're in the slot for approach because the trees on either side of the runway seem to loom larger than reality. Runway lies between two ridges along the river. Downwind following the river can put you below the ridge height with the strip on the opposite side so you may loose site of the strip but just follow along the river and then turn base following the river around to the left, be aware of high power lines, and turn final out over the pasture just to the right of the river, slow approach and you'll nail it every time. Flying out climb out as rapidly as you're safely comfortable and if the cliffs on your left and ahead are making you uncomfortable don't stubbornly fly runway heading but gently follow the river out right on a right crosswind, again being aware of the power line location, and exit the pattern on an extended right crosswind. Great food, cabins, fishing, restaurant hanging over the river with all glass and a mean green chile cheese burger.
Walnut Ridge - ARG has a very cool restaurant, Parachute Inn, attached to a 737 fuselage that has been converted to restaurant seating inside with tables and booths using the original seats and much of the cockpit intact. The food is also good with quite a few "town folk" coming out to eat. I think they're closed Sunday-Monday or maybe Monday - Tuesday so check before you go. Multiple long runways to spare and multiple approaches if you need to get some practice in. You can also taxi to within about 30- 40 feet of the restaurant!
Bearce 7M3 at Mt Ida has a restaurant and Inn just off the airport about a 3 or 4 minute walk. Crystal Inn maybe?
I love Petit Jean - MPJ with ample camping and a nice heated bath house at the lake end of the runway that you can taxi to that no one ever uses. If you call ahead to Mather Lodge they will typically come get you for dinner or to stay in a cabin or room.
And Flight Deck at Central in Little Rock - LIT is always good food. Don't forget that Friday is catfish day and it is excellent!!
Can you tell I love these trips?!! Have a few more out west but probably not as useful as these close by ones. Any new spots for you guys?

bvillepig

November 09, 2012, 10:34:00 am #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:38:56 am by bvillepig
We have found a new one on Kentucky Lake. It is called Pattis and they will pick you up and take you to the village. They light it up for Christmas and it is very good.

It is M34 Kentucky Dam State Park.

http://www.pattis-settlement.com/

gotyacovered

anyone eat at the BBQ place in west Helena? Has a wierd name... Heard it was good and close to the airport.

gotyacovered

KHOT
English Muffin
4832 Central Avenue 
Hot Springs, AR 71913
(501) 525-2710

I ordered the Eggs Benedict - Highly Recommended. Its on the other side of the town, but worth it if you can work out the logistics of getting there/back.

Hankweb

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 27, 2012, 09:51:06 pm
anyone eat at the BBQ place in west Helena? Has a wierd name... Heard it was good and close to the airport.

Are you talking about T-Mac's maybe? Just a few minutes from the airport. BBQ baked potato, BBQ nachos.
BBQ good but catfish and hush puppies may be better!

gotyacovered

Quote from: Hankweb on January 16, 2013, 10:57:22 am
Are you talking about T-Mac's maybe? Just a few minutes from the airport. BBQ baked potato, BBQ nachos.
BBQ good but catfish and hush puppies may be better!

thats it... we ended up not eating bc we were behind schedule... but i will next time i am there.

bvillepig

Walnut Ridge  KARG has taken a Southwest Airlines 737 and turned it into a restaurant. I have not flown there yet but plan on it and will give a full pirep.

http://crankyflier.com/2008/11/21/the-parachute-inn-and-other-great-airport-restaurants/

http://www.aecc.com/assets/pdfs/lets-eat-feb-2012.pdf

jbcarol

Quote from: bvillepig on November 09, 2012, 10:34:00 am
We have found a new one on Kentucky Lake. It is called Pattis and they will pick you up and take you to the village. They light it up for Christmas and it is very good.

How was that?  We used to travel in or through the area often but never went there.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Flying Razorback

Quote from: bvillepig on June 28, 2013, 07:39:33 pm
Walnut Ridge  KARG has taken a Southwest Airlines 737 and turned it into a restaurant. I have not flown there yet but plan on it and will give a full pirep.

http://crankyflier.com/2008/11/21/the-parachute-inn-and-other-great-airport-restaurants/

http://www.aecc.com/assets/pdfs/lets-eat-feb-2012.pdf

That sounds pretty sweet, I'll have to try that one out.  Pretty soon I'm going to have to find time and start making these trips with the wife.  She never has flown with me and there are so many cool places here in Arkansas to fly in to.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

jbcarol

Quote from: bvillepig on November 09, 2012, 10:34:00 am

Dropped in and at 3:00 PM local time there was a 1.5 hour wait for Patti's and a one hour wait for companion restaurant Bill's (apparently Patti's husband). At least in the summer they are doing very well.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

gotyacovered

Newport... hungryman

not really close to the airport. but its good.

nice FBO, also.

AND... (unfortunately) had great experience with Edmonds Aviation MX on the field. nice hangar, nice people.

Hankweb

From 100.00 Hamburger(Gaston's makes list):

The Best of the Best 2014

In past years, you the subscribers of the $100 Hamburger website, www.100dollarhamburger.com were asked to put forth your candidates for the top flyin restaurants in the United States. The restaurants with the largest number of votes won a spot on our Best of the Best list.

Simple as that!

This year we broke that mold. To be considered for Best of the Best recognition, a restaurant must be reviewed in the just released $100 Hamburger -2014/15 Edition, which means it must be located on an airport, close doesn't count. Hurdle number two is its rating; only five stars achievers qualify.

Then it hit me.

If a restaurant is on an airport and you, our subscribers, have already given it five stars, that restaurant is by definition one of the Best of the Best. This year we recognized that simple fact and went with it.

Previously we limited the Best of the Best to ten. This year's system demands that we throw away that barrier and list every restaurant that makes the grade.

Please join me in congratulating the twenty-six that define our 2014 Best of the Best. All tastes are served and every imagination fulfilled. Some are very, very impressive, high dollar, white table cloth, uptown style cafes; others are downhome, family spots. Each is special. They are presented in alphabetical order by state and city within state, followed by the name and three letter identifier of the airport that hosts them.

The Mesa Grill
SEDONA, AZ (SEDONA - SEZ)

Gaston's Restaurant
LAKEVIEW, AR (GASTONS - 3M0)

Harris Ranch Restaurant
COALINGA, CA (HARRIS RANCH - 3O8)

Izzy's Steakhouse
SAN CARLOS, CA (SAN CARLOS - SQL)

The Perfect Landing
DENVER, CO (CENTENNIAL - APA)

121 Restaurant and Bar
OXFORD, CT (WATERBURY-OXFORD - OXC)

Jet Runway Cafe
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (FT LAUDERDALE EXECUTIVE - FXE)

Jekyll Island Club Grand Dining Room
JEKYLL ISLAND, GA (JEKYLL ISLAND - 09J)

Pilot Pete's
CHICAGO/SCHAUMBURG, IL (SCHAUMBURG RGNL - 06C)

The Airport Steak House
HUTCHINSON, KS (HUTCHINSON MUNI - HUT)

Bistro Le Relais
LOUISVILLE, KY (BOWMAN FIELD - LOU)

Nick's Airport Inn
HAGERSTOWN, MD (HAGERSTOWN RGNL - HGR)

Nancy's Air Field Cafe
STOW, MA (MINUTE MAN AIR FIELD - 6B6)

Rick's Crabby Cowboy
MONTAUK, NY (MONTAUK - MTP)

Pik N Pig BBQ
CARTHAGE, NC (GILLIAM - MC CONNELL AIRFIELD - 5NC3)

Sky Galley Inn
CINCINNATI, OH (LUNKEN FIELD - LUK)

Tin Goose Diner
PORT CLINTON, OH (CARL R KELLER FIELD - PCW)

Jake's Joint
ARDMORE, OK (ARDMORE MUNI - ADM)

Enrique's Mexican Restaurant
PONCA CITY, OK (PONCA CITY RGNL - PNC)

DeNunzio's Italian Chophouse and Sinatra Bar
LATROBE, PA (ARNOLD PALMER RGNL - LBE)

Ryan's Hangar Restaurant & Ace Lounge
HURON, SD (HURON RGNL - HON)

Southern Flyer Diner
BRENHAM, TX (BRENHAM MUNI - 11R)

The Hard Eight
STEPHENVILLE, TX (CLARK FIELD MUNI - SEP)

Rickenbacker's Bistro
OGDEN, UT (OGDEN-HINCKLEY - OGD)

The Basin Harbor Resort
VERGENNES, VT (BASIN HARBOR - B06)

Spruce Goose Cafe
PORT TOWNSEND, WA (JEFFERSON COUNTY INTL - 0S9)

The $100 Hamburger 2014/15 Edition is now available at PilotMall.com, Sporty's, Amazon or directly from us. Follow the link to get your copy.

Thanks for your continued support ....................

Fly some place today – you've earned it!

To comment on this eBurger send me an email, jpurner@100dollarhamburger.com . I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Author of

The $100 Hamburger 2014/15 Edition
02 GOLF
The $100 Hamburger Guide to Buying and Selling Aircraft!
6 Weeks to Winning Weekend Golf

Pistol Pete

Quote from: bvillepig on March 02, 2012, 11:38:35 pm
Yes.  24 Landing  06 Take Off.
Iwould love to hear some PIREPS of the surface. I have conflicting reports.

Speaking of Gaston's... (Hankweb's post)

The pirep about the surface... yes it is bumpy, not jarring, but smooth bumps if that makes sense. I've flown there 4 times with my 172 and a passenger. I'd say your 'toga would be just fine (if you still have it), but you will be bounced around.

I strongly suggest a soft/short field takeoff. The grass is thick and getting up to speed is a lot slower than asphalt... a LOT slower. 10 degrees of flaps made all the difference in the world for my 172.

As far as the food? They are slow, food is fair/ok at best, the scenery is outstanding. I'm going again soon.

GusMcRae

Quote from: Pistol Pete on May 01, 2014, 10:02:30 pm
Speaking of Gaston's... (Hankweb's post)

The pirep about the surface... yes it is bumpy, not jarring, but smooth bumps if that makes sense. I've flown there 4 times with my 172 and a passenger. I'd say your 'toga would be just fine (if you still have it), but you will be bounced around.

I strongly suggest a soft/short field takeoff. The grass is thick and getting up to speed is a lot slower than asphalt... a LOT slower. 10 degrees of flaps made all the difference in the world for my 172.

As far as the food? They are slow, food is fair/ok at best, the scenery is outstanding. I'm going again soon.

What about the fishing report? 
I still plan to take my wife there for a fishing weekend.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 06, 2014, 03:09:27 pm
What about the fishing report? 
I still plan to take my wife there for a fishing weekend.

I didn't fish, just had a nice chef salad, enjoyed the scenery, then left...

However, I DO wat to give an update on the strip surface... it's rough!