Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IFR Training

Started by GusMcRae, June 09, 2014, 10:29:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Another 2 hours Sat night at KSPS after the tower shut down, pretty windy conditions, about 5 ILS approaches RWY 33, then back home with a GPS approach to RWY 20, but he added another new (to me) little twist, did a circle to minimum, landing on RWY16,,, wind was out of 140 and there is no GPS approach procedure for 16. 

All went well for the most part.  Busted assigned altitude a couple of times while vectoring, which prompted the usual "you just flunked a checkride".   But also got another rare "I think it's going pretty well". 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on December 15, 2014, 02:57:48 pm
Another 2 hours Sat night at KSPS after the tower shut down, pretty windy conditions, about 5 ILS approaches RWY 33, then back home with a GPS approach to RWY 20, but he added another new (to me) little twist, did a circle to minimum, landing on RWY16,,, wind was out of 140 and there is no GPS approach procedure for 16. 

All went well for the most part.  Busted assigned altitude a couple of times while vectoring, which prompted the usual "you just flunked a checkride".   But also got another rare "I think it's going pretty well". 

on the circling app, do you have to be in VMC to circle?

i have done one circle at Addison (i think) and he cleared us to land 18 and were were shooting the circle to land IAP for 36, when on final i asked if he wanted us to circle east or west and he said, i cleared you to land, didnt i?

so i landed and went about my business... but still dont get it.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 15, 2014, 04:38:45 pm
on the circling app, do you have to be in VMC to circle?

i have done one circle at Addison (i think) and he cleared us to land 18 and were were shooting the circle to land IAP for 36, when on final i asked if he wanted us to circle east or west and he said, i cleared you to land, didnt i?

so i landed and went about my business... but still dont get it.

Yes, on the GPS approach to RWY 20, he told me when I got to the decision height (which was 1720' at a 1200' elev runway) pull off my hood and provided I could see the field, then do a right turn, which put me in a left base for RWY 16, turn final (pretty short final I might add), and land.  So it really wasn't literally a "circle".  The way I took it, the GPS approach to RWY 20 got me to the field and under the soup, but if I had really needed RWY 16 due to the wind direction and wind strength, then you would navigate to that preferred runway using visual references.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

4 week countdown has begun.  Getting my static check and GPS database current tomorrow.  Been waiting on the lady that will do the checkride to get her currency in order, she had to go to Portland, OR to take a required class she was lacking.  She got back from that on Jan 28th.  Last time I flew with my CFII , he said sometime after 1/28, I should go fly with him for 3 or 4 days in a row, (will need to do a VOR check one of those days of flying) prepping for the checkride, then take it.  I'm a little spooked up about it all.  Lots of other stuff going on in my world besides trying to knock this IFR out.  I guess if I don't get it done, I'll write it off, or take the written again. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 03, 2015, 10:03:15 am
4 week countdown has begun.  Getting my static check and GPS database current tomorrow.  Been waiting on the lady that will do the checkride to get her currency in order, she had to go to Portland, OR to take a required class she was lacking.  She got back from that on Jan 28th.  Last time I flew with my CFII , he said sometime after 1/28, I should go fly with him for 3 or 4 days in a row, (will need to do a VOR check one of those days of flying) prepping for the checkride, then take it.  I'm a little spooked up about it all.  Lots of other stuff going on in my world besides trying to knock this IFR out.  I guess if I don't get it done, I'll write it off, or take the written again. 

get after it gus... get er done. i am jealous.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 03, 2015, 10:03:15 am

Good luck!  Check rides are the worst on the nerves.  I have to take all mine within the next 5 months and I'm already pinging a little bit about it.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

Quote from: Flying Razorback on February 03, 2015, 11:36:17 am

Good luck!  Check rides are the worst on the nerves.  I have to take all mine within the next 5 months and I'm already pinging a little bit about it.

yup... you can make the smallest mistake... did you guys see that article about ADF/NDB and cross chart conversions? they gone... typical of the FAA though... gonna take 18-24 motnhs for all of them to get out of the test question pool.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/January/29/FAA-posts-positive-airman-testing-changes-on-web-site

theFlyingHog

I blew my first IFR ride on a VOR at Pine Bluff. It was my last approach, all I had to do was get some throttle and climb out when that needle went full-scale

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 03, 2015, 01:22:32 pm
I blew my first IFR ride on a VOR at Pine Bluff. It was my last approach, all I had to do was get some throttle and climb out when that needle went full-scale

im trying to catch up to you... so you have foggles on... DE sitting next to you... you are on approach and get full scale deflection and didnt initiate the missed quickly enough?

GusMcRae

CFII has been out of pocket practically all of Feb, through tomorrow.  Decided to go fly with another CFII yesterday, Keith Cole, near GYI but works out of numerous airports around North Texas/DFW MetroPlex area. 
Here is his website: http://www.pilotkeithcole.com/.  He specializes in Cessna 210 and Conquest training.  He has a much different (in a good way) method of teaching than what I've been used to.  Just sat and talked for 30 minutes or more, assessing my IFR and approach plate knowledge, posing a few scenarios, best choice to enter a hold depending on position and angle of entry and such before we flew.  Initial portion of the actual flight part of the lesson was him having me do some steep turn 360s staying at assigned altitude, some climbing or descending a certain amount, recovering from unusual attitudes, etc,,,  then did a GPS approach for 17L, and 2 ILS approaches for 17L.  His assessment was I handle the plane good, shot the approaches good (especially considering how windy and rough it was yesterday, and that I was flying with an unfamiliar person in the right seat, etc), but my academics (a structured ground school would do me wonders) are where I'm lacking.  Some of it with approach plate knowledge and some with 430 buttonology, need to get more comfortable with both, need to verbalize more, and need to demonstrate use of checklists to the reviewer.  He had me verbalize, ex: "out of two thousand three hundred (or whatever altitude) for nine forty (decision altitude)" while shooting the approaches to keep me engaged in the tasks at hand.  If I didn't call it out every couple of hundreed feet, he was asking me "out of?", I'd answer, he'd ask "for?", then he would have me check and say "on glide path, at desired airspeed and rate of descent", stuff like that. 
Too bad he is a little too far away from me to use on a regular basis.  I highly recommend him for anyone in that area. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 03, 2015, 01:59:38 pm
im trying to catch up to you... so you have foggles on... DE sitting next to you... you are on approach and get full scale deflection and didnt initiate the missed quickly enough?
Exactly. Kept turning for the needle and blew through MDA

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 11, 2015, 07:01:23 pm
Exactly. Kept turning for the needle and blew through MDA

gah, that sucks.

i am flying to Indy 3/26 and that is the goal, wanna be done by then... kind of a stretch. had someone in the office quit so picking up slack... and vacation days are hard to come by in this situation... my CFII/dad will not compromise on taking a week and getting the dual flight training done...

i am beyond ready to hear 'cleared as filed'

theFlyingHog

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 12, 2015, 08:25:09 am
gah, that sucks.

i am flying to Indy 3/26 and that is the goal, wanna be done by then... kind of a stretch. had someone in the office quit so picking up slack... and vacation days are hard to come by in this situation... my CFII/dad will not compromise on taking a week and getting the dual flight training done...

i am beyond ready to hear 'cleared as filed'
I took my time getting my IFR ticket and I am glad I did. My CFII for most of my training made sure I was in actual IMC several times. My first x-country with my IFR, I used it in anger and had no issues. LIT-GPT-LIT, leaving GPT had to wait for storms to pass my route(I didn't want to deviate west because I love having way too much fuel) so I departed after dark into a layer 2000 to 8000'+ so I was in the layer past Jackson. Center was trying to get a VFR guy in under it down south and asked me how high the ceiling was on climb out. Had to tell him I was so nervous I went on instruments while I was still on the runway

GusMcRae

I've been in "PRESS MODE" since Sunday. 
Looks like I'll get a chance to fail a check ride before next Monday, and burn a crap load of fuel and owe my FBO and CFII more than I can afford in the process.... 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 18, 2015, 11:32:17 am
I've been in "PRESS MODE" since Sunday. 
Looks like I'll get a chance to fail a check ride before next Monday, and burn a crap load of fuel and owe my FBO and CFII more than I can afford in the process.... 

ha!!!! get em gus.... keep us posted

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 18, 2015, 08:20:21 pm
ha!!!! get em gus.... keep us posted

Brief update.  Flown 12+ hours this week with foggles on.  10 Duel, and 2 with a pilot buddy as safety pilot.  Same guy is going with me today to pick up my son, on the way we are planning to shoot the ILS appproach at KABI, then possibly a few approaches at BWD before picking up my son at BBD (GPS approach), then back with a GPS approach at home base. Should be another 4-5 hrs Sim IMC. 

Weather looks very unfavorable Sunday for checkride, but that's what they're still saying, North wind, all clues seem to point to VOR and LOC approaches at KDUC, unusual attitudes/steep turns/steep turn climbs and descents, on the way back to F05, GPS approach and Circle to Min.  If weather holds us up, then will be one day next week other than Monday (wx is worse). 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 20, 2015, 09:36:25 am
Brief update.  Flown 12+ hours this week with foggles on.  10 Duel, and 2 with a pilot buddy as safety pilot.  Same guy is going with me today to pick up my son, on the way we are planning to shoot the ILS appproach at KABI, then possibly a few approaches at BWD before picking up my son at BBD (GPS approach), then back with a GPS approach at home base. Should be another 4-5 hrs Sim IMC. 

Weather looks very unfavorable Sunday for checkride, but that's what they're still saying, North wind, all clues seem to point to VOR and LOC approaches at KDUC, unusual attitudes/steep turns/steep turn climbs and descents, on the way back to F05, GPS approach and Circle to Min.  If weather holds us up, then will be one day next week other than Monday (wx is worse). 

good luck!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

Good luck Gus, and remember, the go/no-go decision is yours. On the day of my CFII checkride, the ceilings were below my personal minimums and I called the DPE and told him. No problem, we just did it the next day and everything went fine. Good luck!
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

GusMcRae

Made it through the oral part.  About 2.5 hours, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I should have studied the Low IFR charts more than I had. 
Will have to find a weather window sometime this week to take the checkride.  Outside chance the weather may clear just enough late this afternoon, Tuesday doesn't look too bad, Wednesday looks to be the prettiest day all week but the examiner has to go to Lubbock that day.  If we can't get it done before then, I've offered to fly her to Lubbock on Wednesday, do the checkride on the way.  Downside of that is, it will definitely be at unfamiliar airports, which I know shouldn't matter, I need to be able to pull up a brand new (to me) approach and execute it, and I think I am to the point that I can do that, provided it's not too awful crazy.  Thursday doesn't look too bad either, but if I don't pass on the first attempt, I need Thursday for a 2nd attempt day.  Fri & Sat weather looks bad again, and Saturday is the deadline for me.

Trip Friday was beneficial.  My safety pilot went through the IFR checkride within the last year or so it was still fairly fresh on his mind and he gave me some good preperation tips.  Did a LOC at KABI, 2 VORs at KBWD (one with assistance of the 430, then at missed, took the 430 away), then over to BBD for a GPS full stop, then back home and another GPS full stop.  He had a go-pro and is supposed to be e-mailing me the footage.
Wanted to get oral and checkride done Saturday, but examiner was down for the day, sick.  She was a trooper for making it through the oral yesterday.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 23, 2015, 09:28:34 am
Made it through the oral part.  About 2.5 hours, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I should have studied the Low IFR charts more than I had. 
Will have to find a weather window sometime this week to take the checkride.  Outside chance the weather may clear just enough late this afternoon, Tuesday doesn't look too bad, Wednesday looks to be the prettiest day all week but the examiner has to go to Lubbock that day.  If we can't get it done before then, I've offered to fly her to Lubbock on Wednesday, do the checkride on the way.  Downside of that is, it will definitely be at unfamiliar airports, which I know shouldn't matter, I need to be able to pull up a brand new (to me) approach and execute it, and I think I am to the point that I can do that, provided it's not too awful crazy.  Thursday doesn't look too bad either, but if I don't pass on the first attempt, I need Thursday for a 2nd attempt day.  Fri & Sat weather looks bad again, and Saturday is the deadline for me.

Trip Friday was beneficial.  My safety pilot went through the IFR checkride within the last year or so it was still fairly fresh on his mind and he gave me some good preperation tips.  Did a LOC at KABI, 2 VORs at KBWD (one with assistance of the 430, then at missed, took the 430 away), then over to BBD for a GPS full stop, then back home and another GPS full stop.  He had a go-pro and is supposed to be e-mailing me the footage.
Wanted to get oral and checkride done Saturday, but examiner was down for the day, sick.  She was a trooper for making it through the oral yesterday.

good work man!!!! good luck on the flying portion. keep us posted...

Flying Razorback

Good luck!

A lot of good airports in that part of Texas for IFR training.  I used to take students to GGG, ABI, LBB, Midland, and AMA all the time for training. 

And you're very right, your skills have made it so you can show up anywhere at any time and shoot any approach.  At some point you realize that an ILS is an ILS is an ILS.  As long as you can read the approach and take everything slow and methodical it ends up feeling the same every time after a while.  Which is great because then it's easier to feel "off" when things aren't going right.

GusMcRae

Done!  Finished up yesterday evening.  Waaaay too much drama leading up to finishing with only having 3 days left in February when my written expires, and those 3 days not looking very fit for flying.  Very relieved to have it behind me.  I don't see a smiley with it wiping the hand across the forehead and saying "whew!", but that's the one that fits.

Will be a very long write up to provide details, if I decide to do that. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 26, 2015, 10:56:40 am
Done!  Finished up yesterday evening.  Waaaay too much drama leading up to finishing with only having 3 days left in February when my written expires, and those 3 days not looking very fit for flying.  Very relieved to have it behind me.  I don't see a smiley with it wiping the hand across the forehead and saying "whew!", but that's the one that fits.

Will be a very long write up to provide details, if I decide to do that. 

NICE!!!

...and dang it. you win the race to IFR. whats next... commercial? ;D

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 26, 2015, 10:58:30 am

NICE!!!

...and dang it. you win the race to IFR. whats next... commercial? ;D

As I said before, I would have been a gracious loser to you, but I had to beat that other guy (time).
Probably will pursue a commercial rating, but I need to recover from all the money I've spent this month trying to finish, or hit an oil well or win the lottery. 

GusMcRae

Very long, sorry,,,,
February 2015, what a month!  31.5+ hours flying time (biggest month ever for me), majority of that under the hood. $600+ to avionics shop to get plane legal for a checkride,,, static system check, transponder currency, and GPS database updates.   ~$1500.00 worth of 100LL Avgas (fortunate that it's cheap right now), another $750 worth of lessons with CFII's (3 different ones) and $350 to the flight examiner, about 6 hours with a safety pilot, end of February deadline looming with weather and schedules of all involved causing flying windows to narrow significantly.  Several nights with only 4 or 5 hours of sleep, up late or up early studying for the oral, studying and making notes on approach plates, etc... This was all coupled with the FAA flight examiner coming down with a bad case of bronchitis and missing a couple days of work, one of which was a good weather day, the other one not so good.
Knocked out the oral on Sunday 2/22, weather was not good enough to do the checkride afterward.  2/23 was one of the examiner's sick days, weather was crappy anyway.  Wasn't sure she was going to feel up to it on Tuesday, so I went to the office not very confident that I would get to take the checkride.  Didn't eat any breakfast.  Got a call at 8:45 from my CFII telling me to get on out to the airport and get ready, examiner was on the way to the airport to meet me for the checkride,,, already had a few things on my plate at work and just had to take about 20 minutes to either finish them up or postpone, which only added more to the pressure I was feeling.  Let my wife know what was going on, and asked her to say a little prayer for me.  I didn't feel like I had time to grab something to eat on the way out to the airport, but should have anyway.  Did not feel very good about it at all, but knew I didn't have the luxury of postponing for some other day, I had to go that morning, thinking that even if I didn't pass it all, I could pass some of it, weather was good that day, forecast the rest of the week not good, other than a good forecast for Wednesday, she felt good enough to come to work today, but would she the rest of the week?,,, etc... 
Flight examiner had another checkride to do that afternoon.  Temps that morning were in the mid-twenties, 88Romeo did not want to start, but she did eventually.   
My #2 radio (Garmin SL-30) has been acting up, intermittently flashing a message "DSP communication failure", and low and behold, it decided to act up that morning.  For the LOC approach at KDUC, I needed my #2 radio on the VOR, on a 256 radial, to pinpoint the FAF.  I let it rattle me,,, I didn't know if I she was going to allow me to follow the 430 to the FAF and use the 430 for the time instead of using the timer after the #2 needle came across, or if she would take the 430 away.  Didn't know if I needed to say "looks like I can't count on my #2 radio, I've had a failure" in order not to fail the checkride, or if the NAV side of the #2 was going to work just fine, or if the radio problem would prevent me from continuing the checkride altogether.  Bottom line, under the stress of it all, I got rattled.  My communication with ATC was mediocre at best.  Late on the timer, managed a so-so LOC approach, but I failed to hit suspend button and switch off of VLOC and back to GPS after the missed, climbed and came back to the FAF for the LOC as if that was where the hold was, instead of the VOR, which IS where the hold is located.  I blew it, and knew that I had blown it.  I was rattled, mad, disappointed, sick!  Anything bad, you name it, I was feeling it.  After re-grouping and getting back to the VOR, and holding (late on the timer at least once in the hold), I salvaged the VOR procedure turn, VOR approach under partial panel, with a circle to minimums, departed KDUC, did the unusual attitude recovery fine on the way back home, and successful on the RNAV approach at home, but not my best RNAV work either, kept over-correcting for some reason,,, just off my A-game altogether it seemed. 
We ate lunch (a late lunch I might add and I was about starved out by then), talked about what went wrong and how when in actual IMC, that it will rattle us as pilots as bad or worse than I was rattled by things not going my way that morning.  I was able to get the additional time required with a CFII to go do another LOC approach and a hold after lunch.  However, examiners are only allowed to do 2 checkrides in one day, so the option to re-take that day was not possible since she had another one to do that afternoon.  Having to wait, and not knowing how long I would have to wait, was painful.   
Examiner had to go to Lubbock for some FAA business Wednesday.  I had no clue if she would make it back in time, if she would feel up to it (still sick) after 6 hours in the car plus whatever else she had to do, but that was the best weather day we have had all week, and the remaining 3 days of February not looking good weather wise.  I got a text from her about 4:00 that she would be back by about 5:00.  She was a trooper.  I know she didn't feel good.  Game on!
No oral to worry about, no VOR, no GPS, no unusual attitudes.   Just go execute a successful LOC and the proper hold afterward, and don't forget any of the little stupid stuff that will fail you.  I was much more relaxed on the re-take.  Air was pretty smooth, easy to maintain altitudes, and my radio work with ATC was good.  A Bonanza came on the frequency with intentions of doing IFR work at KDUC as well, which added a little more real life scenario, but I was not bothered by that.  When I did the LOC and VOR ID check, I did the VOR 2nd and with the LOC frequency in standby mode, I think I got interrupted by ATC for a vector right about that time, and almost forgot to toggle it back up to the active NAV frequency.  ATC vectored me until being cleared to establish the LOC path and cleared for final, so no procedure turn.  I actually did forget to toggle the LOC frequency up to the active NAV until roughly a mile or so from the FAF inbound!  Needle wasn't coming in like it should have been (was being allowed to use the 430, following the magenta line), caught my mistake just in time to toggle it up to active, get the needle centered, and said "I nearly blew it again!"  After I caught it the examiner said "you're killing me over here, I was real curious how you were going to handle that".  All went well for the approach and hold.  ATC had me climb to 4000' to stay above the Bonanza at 3000'.  After a few turns and legs in the hold, she had me tell ATC our intentions to exit the hold and head back to F05, VFR, and let me take the hood off.
I passed!  I'm relieved. 
The deadline and everything leading up to bumping the deadline has stressed me out to the max.  Finishing it up by the deadline has practically consumed me this entire month, but still having to deal with all the everyday activities and stresses of life, work, farming and cattle operation after the day job, etc... 
Never thought I would say "I'm ready for a little break from flying", but that's exactly what I'm saying.  I'm exhausted and so is my flying budget for the next 2 or 3 years!  ; )

I need to continue to practice instrument approaches in VMC to get more and more comfortable.  I know my personal minimums need to be higher than the published until I hone my skills and develop good instrument approach habits until it becomes second nature.  I plan to start filing IFR every time I fly cross country, execute instrument approaches the majority of the time in VMC, do what's required to stay IFR current, and just continue to learn. 

theFlyingHog

Thanks for posting, Gus. And congrats! I hated the instrument ride

GusMcRae

I'm quite positive any IFR pilot that went through some sort of formal flight school had a better understanding of departures than I did going through the local CFII that I did.  Basically no time spent on instrument departures, mostly about the approaches.  We also spent a very very small amount of time on low IFR charts in general and zero actual flight time on the victor airways on the those charts. 

I filed IFR direct to KSAT Friday, received some arrival instruction about an hour and a half prior to arrival, but then was vectored in and told to expect visual approach to 12R, I went ahead and shot the ILS for 12R in VMC.  Rain had cleared out for the most part that I was never in clouds on Friday.

Departure yesterday had my head spinning on the ground just getting my instructions from the clearance frequency and eventually reading them back correctly.  A couple of different Victor airways included in the  sequencing before arriving at the Llano VOR, then direct home from there.  I did have to climb through a layer to get up to my cruise alt.  It all went fine, but I also realize I needed some additional schooling on departures and more on low IFR charts.
Just a tip for anyone not using a formal flight school:  In addition to approaches, get some duel doing departures out of a big airport, not just the little country airport your CFII is based out of. 

I still have sooo much to learn. 

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 18, 2015, 01:22:15 pm
I'm quite positive any IFR pilot that went through some sort of formal flight school had a better understanding of departures than I did going through the local CFII that I did.  Basically no time spent on instrument departures, mostly about the approaches.  We also spent a very very small amount of time on low IFR charts in general and zero actual flight time on the victor airways on the those charts. 

I filed IFR direct to KSAT Friday, received some arrival instruction about an hour and a half prior to arrival, but then was vectored in and told to expect visual approach to 12R, I went ahead and shot the ILS for 12R in VMC.  Rain had cleared out for the most part that I was never in clouds on Friday.

Departure yesterday had my head spinning on the ground just getting my instructions from the clearance frequency and eventually reading them back correctly.  A couple of different Victor airways included in the  sequencing before arriving at the Llano VOR, then direct home from there.  I did have to climb through a layer to get up to my cruise alt.  It all went fine, but I also realize I needed some additional schooling on departures and more on low IFR charts.
Just a tip for anyone not using a formal flight school:  In addition to approaches, get some duel doing departures out of a big airport, not just the little country airport your CFII is based out of. 

I still have sooo much to learn. 

Approaches are easy to focus on, but IFR departures are probably one of the most dangerous especially when you get to multi-engine aircraft.  We spend a ton of time teaching and going through IFR departures.  Once you get reading an approach plate and your instrument cross check, approaches become very routine.  But determining whether or not you can make an IFR climb out when you have an engine out and if you have the weather minimums and then compliance is much different.  You're also accelerating on a departure and climbing and it comes quick.

I'm glad you saw it.  Departures are easy to overlook but can be very dangerous.

GusMcRae

This little tip is probably not anything new for the veteran IFR pilots, but I can not begin to say how much this helped me in regard to my Sunday departure from KSAT, which was identical to the one back in May described on my last post on this thread.  Here it is:  Read the expected route e-mail and provided they don't change it on you, have it ready to use when it's time for the readback. 
Typically I am departing from a non-towered country airport, filed direct, pick up my IFR flight plan in the air when I get at, or close to cruising altitude. 
In May 2015, and on Sunday, departing KSAT, I filed IFR plan using Foreflight.  When I get the notification e-mails that my flight plan was filed successfully and an expected route, I don't really even open the e-mail,,, just see that it was successful and truck on. 
Sunday, I opened the e-mail that had my expected route outlined.  I thought "this looks familiar,,,, ALAMO9 departure to GOBBY V163 AMUSE V565 LLO",,, same as it was back in May.  So I wrote all of that down, pulled up the low IFR chart on my IPAD, plotted that expected route out the map.  When I contacted clearance they in fact did give me the same route as was outlined in the "expected route e-mail", I got the readback right on the first attempt,,, unlike in May when it took me numerous times to get it halfway right (I could tell back in May that ATC was getting impatient with my ignorance). 
I was able to program in the ALAMO9 and GOBBY into my 430, but beyond that, I didn't know how, or if it can be done, to get the V163, AMUSE, V565 programmed in there.  Also, when ATC cleared me to GOBBY early, and when they cleared me to LLO (Llanno VOR) before I got to AMUSE, I didn't know how to amend the 430 procedure to accomodate the shortcuts.  I know there must be a way.   I had the LLO VOR on my #2 radio, plus using my iPad to keep me on track.  When I finally got to LLO, I hit direct to my destination airport and I was good to go. 

Departed for KSRR on Sunday Oct 4th for our annual golf trip, and all but about 30 minutes of the roughly 3 hour flight was in IMC.  GPS Approach at KSRR with a 600' ceiling, worked great.
Departed on Friday October 9th, and the ceiling was low enough that we had to get cleared for an IFR departure.  Pilot friend flew with me and I told him he could either fly left seat out there or on the way back.  He didn't want to fly out there so he flew back.  He was pretty rusty on flying instruments and just flying a 182 in general, so I got a little taste of what it's like to instruct.  I did a good bit of his radio setting up and such as well.  Lots of "you're off course, you're descending, etc,,,". 
Departed for KSAT a few hours after getting home on Oct 9th. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on October 14, 2015, 11:14:32 am
This little tip is probably not anything new for the veteran IFR pilots, but I can not begin to say how much this helped me in regard to my Sunday departure from KSAT, which was identical to the one back in May described on my last post on this thread.  Here it is:  Read the expected route e-mail and provided they don't change it on you, have it ready to use when it's time for the readback. 
Typically I am departing from a non-towered country airport, filed direct, pick up my IFR flight plan in the air when I get at, or close to cruising altitude. 
In May 2015, and on Sunday, departing KSAT, I filed IFR plan using Foreflight.  When I get the notification e-mails that my flight plan was filed successfully and an expected route, I don't really even open the e-mail,,, just see that it was successful and truck on. 
Sunday, I opened the e-mail that had my expected route outlined.  I thought "this looks familiar,,,, ALAMO9 departure to GOBBY V163 AMUSE V565 LLO",,, same as it was back in May.  So I wrote all of that down, pulled up the low IFR chart on my IPAD, plotted that expected route out the map.  When I contacted clearance they in fact did give me the same route as was outlined in the "expected route e-mail", I got the readback right on the first attempt,,, unlike in May when it took me numerous times to get it halfway right (I could tell back in May that ATC was getting impatient with my ignorance). 
I was able to program in the ALAMO9 and GOBBY into my 430, but beyond that, I didn't know how, or if it can be done, to get the V163, AMUSE, V565 programmed in there.  Also, when ATC cleared me to GOBBY early, and when they cleared me to LLO (Llanno VOR) before I got to AMUSE, I didn't know how to amend the 430 procedure to accomodate the shortcuts.  I know there must be a way.   I had the LLO VOR on my #2 radio, plus using my iPad to keep me on track.  When I finally got to LLO, I hit direct to my destination airport and I was good to go. 

Departed for KSRR on Sunday Oct 4th for our annual golf trip, and all but about 30 minutes of the roughly 3 hour flight was in IMC.  GPS Approach at KSRR with a 600' ceiling, worked great.
Departed on Friday October 9th, and the ceiling was low enough that we had to get cleared for an IFR departure.  Pilot friend flew with me and I told him he could either fly left seat out there or on the way back.  He didn't want to fly out there so he flew back.  He was pretty rusty on flying instruments and just flying a 182 in general, so I got a little taste of what it's like to instruct.  I did a good bit of his radio setting up and such as well.  Lots of "you're off course, you're descending, etc,,,". 
Departed for KSAT a few hours after getting home on Oct 9th. 

good stuff, dont think you can put airways into the GPS, only waypoints... i am pretty sure to edit the waypoints you just hit the FPL button, CLR on the waypoint you dont need and just add the new one.... something like that. i dont even have a 430, but the BE58 im in all the time has a 530/430 and i used to push buttons on it all the time... been a almost 7-8 months to fully work the nav/comms. the new pilot and i aren't near as good as friends as the last pilot, plus he is not CFII/MEI... just a CFI...

glad you are using it. i'll update mine in a min in a new thread. real bummer.

theFlyingHog

I'm finally on my way to getting back into flying. Gotta get the IPC after not doing any IFR work for five years. Commercial, multi and probably CFI

GusMcRae

Sprung for tickets to the Ags vs Gamecocks game with plans to fly down.  Heavy chances of T-storms at KCLL clearing out around game time caused a plan B to be in place, wifey still not so comfy flying in clouds, descending through layers, and instrument approaches.  Checked weather before bed time, large system moving across SW Texas, got up at 0300, system was over San Antonio, all clear behind it, and moving NE fast enough I was comfortable enough that we would not be dealing with thunderstorms, just some remaining clouds, I decided we would not get on up to get on the road by 4:00 AM to arrive by vehicle one hour  beffore the 11:00 AM kickoff.  Went back to sleep, although it was not the greatest quality sleep.  Filed for 0650 departure, 7000', clear at departure airport, turned to solid layer over most of Texas shortly after takeoff.  Most of the trip was clear, we were 1000' or more above the solid layer until about Waco, it started breaking up and could see the ground occasionally through a hole.  Continued to break up, but KCLL reporting 500' ceiling over the airport, but we could still see the ground as ATC routed us around to the south for a rwy 34 localizer approach.  There was a thin solid layer hanging over KCLL at 500' and it was cool to see my wife's face out of my peripheral vision when we broke through the clouds and were lined up perfect on the runway.  That might have done wonders for her approval to fly now when the weather is somewhat less than perfect, as she has always tended to be. 
Sidenote, about 15 minutes North of KCLL, a Leerjet checked in with ATC that had just departed Austin, and by the time ATC routed me a fair distance South before intercepting the Localizer, the jet landed before we did,,, Wow!
Caught the shuttle over close to where our group was tailgaiting, brief visit before heading to our seats.  Watched the Ags beat the Gamecocks in less than dominant fashion, but a W nonetheless.  Saw the new stadium, pretty awesome venue!  Wish we would drop the Jerryworld contract and have Bacon and Ags game played at home and home again.  Tailgated with old friends but didn't get to drink any cold beer.  Friends dropped us off at the airport after tailgate broke up.  The line guy said there were about 150 planes came in for the Alabama game, but only 38 or so for the SC game.  Probably a good one for my first trip in there for a game.  Weather and losses to Bama and Ole Miss kept a lot of GA planes away I suppose.
Departed for home at roughly 1750, just before another system was threatening to move into the area.  Clouds to start the trip but turned clear within an hour and was clear for the remainder of the trip, of which the final hour was in the dark.  Made for a long day but well worth it. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 29, 2015, 03:57:27 pm
I'm finally on my way to getting back into flying. Gotta get the IPC after not doing any IFR work for five years. Commercial, multi and probably CFI

get after it, keep us posted of your progress!

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on November 02, 2015, 09:58:29 am
Sprung for tickets to the Ags vs Gamecocks game with plans to fly down.  Heavy chances of T-storms at KCLL clearing out around game time caused a plan B to be in place, wifey still not so comfy flying in clouds, descending through layers, and instrument approaches.  Checked weather before bed time, large system moving across SW Texas, got up at 0300, system was over San Antonio, all clear behind it, and moving NE fast enough I was comfortable enough that we would not be dealing with thunderstorms, just some remaining clouds, I decided we would not get on up to get on the road by 4:00 AM to arrive by vehicle one hour  beffore the 11:00 AM kickoff.  Went back to sleep, although it was not the greatest quality sleep.  Filed for 0650 departure, 7000', clear at departure airport, turned to solid layer over most of Texas shortly after takeoff.  Most of the trip was clear, we were 1000' or more above the solid layer until about Waco, it started breaking up and could see the ground occasionally through a hole.  Continued to break up, but KCLL reporting 500' ceiling over the airport, but we could still see the ground as ATC routed us around to the south for a rwy 34 localizer approach.  There was a thin solid layer hanging over KCLL at 500' and it was cool to see my wife's face out of my peripheral vision when we broke through the clouds and were lined up perfect on the runway.  That might have done wonders for her approval to fly now when the weather is somewhat less than perfect, as she has always tended to be. 
Sidenote, about 15 minutes North of KCLL, a Leerjet checked in with ATC that had just departed Austin, and by the time ATC routed me a fair distance South before intercepting the Localizer, the jet landed before we did,,, Wow!
Caught the shuttle over close to where our group was tailgaiting, brief visit before heading to our seats.  Watched the Ags beat the Gamecocks in less than dominant fashion, but a W nonetheless.  Saw the new stadium, pretty awesome venue!  Wish we would drop the Jerryworld contract and have Bacon and Ags game played at home and home again.  Tailgated with old friends but didn't get to drink any cold beer.  Friends dropped us off at the airport after tailgate broke up.  The line guy said there were about 150 planes came in for the Alabama game, but only 38 or so for the SC game.  Probably a good one for my first trip in there for a game.  Weather and losses to Bama and Ole Miss kept a lot of GA planes away I suppose.
Departed for home at roughly 1750, just before another system was threatening to move into the area.  Clouds to start the trip but turned clear within an hour and was clear for the remainder of the trip, of which the final hour was in the dark.  Made for a long day but well worth it. 

:jealous face: