Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't imagine how this will not negatively impact Ole Miss recuiting..

Started by BadHog, November 08, 2012, 11:11:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

whosiskid

Reminds me a bit of Lou Holtz's firing. We were having complaints by black players of insensitivity on racial issues and the Holtz goes out and makes a commercial for racist North Carolina senator Jesse Helms. Granted, at Ole Miss it isn't the coaches who were involved, but if I were a young black man with multiple offers out there, I would think several times before going to Ole Miss.

Politics should never, ever intrude in football. I don't care if a coach is to the left of Karl Marx or to the right of Adolf Hitler, you simply do not let any kid you are recruiting know what your politics are. There are kids out there whose families are all over the map politically. It is simply dumb to alienate any of them on politics. Utter political tolerance is the only possible option.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

chiefhawg

Jackrabbit Hog

Ole Miss will ALWAYS fight the stigma of racism, and it will be something they will always have to overcome in recruiting.  That's just the way it is.  Signed, Bruce Hornsby.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogcoots

And yet today, the Nation's #1 Recruit decommits from Clemson and has Ole Miss in his top 5.

elviscat

If you were black would you want to play for a team that calls itself "Rebels"? No way. They still have the plantation mentality down there.

thebignasty

I think landing Ndemkiche will help them more than this will hurt.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

beebefootballfan

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

whosiskid

Well, it might speak well to the kids to grasp that there is a difference between a group of protestors and the football team. And to play devil's advocate, when I cited Lou Holtz making commercials for a racist senator in another state, he was the head coach of the team.

Still, I've never had a very positive image of Ole Miss. Academically it lags behind pretty much every other university in the SEC. It is, however, a lovely place. And I'm a huge fan of William Faulkner. But academics were important to me and I wouldn't have gone to Ole Miss if they'd offered me a free ride.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

IronHog

Quote from: elviscat on November 08, 2012, 06:02:43 pm
If you were black would you want to play for a team that calls itself "Rebels"? No way. They still have the plantation mentality down there.

Compared to say a team in NWA?  The white flight palace of middle america?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

go hogues

Quote from: thebignasty on November 08, 2012, 06:20:03 pm
I think landing Ndemkiche will help them more than this will hurt.
This. They're the team to beat for him.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

newera08

Quote from: IronHog on November 08, 2012, 07:17:15 pm

This..... I live in south Arkansas but have family and friends up there. One comment i hear all the time is that its cleaner because there are no blacks.

BirmingHam

Quote from: IronHog on November 08, 2012, 07:17:15 pm

I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like NWA.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I'm thinkin this is the wrong forum for this discussion.

:razorback: :razorback:   ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

IronHog

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 10, 2012, 09:56:17 am
I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like NWA.

It isn't conducive to good football or good education.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Arazorbackguy1

Trash can please.  Not sure if you realize that our recruits read this board too.  Just because a few people in NWA are ignorant and believe idiotic things doesn't mean the majority do. 

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BirmingHam

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 11, 2012, 10:42:15 am
Trash can please.  Not sure if you realize that our recruits read this board too.  Just because a few people in NWA are ignorant and believe idiotic things doesn't mean the majority do. 

I have lived in Mississippi (Como, Southaven), Birmingham AL, and NWA.  There is less racism and discrimination in NWA than the other 2.  You're just blinded by your hate of the progress in NWA over the last 20 years while your little corner of AR is drying up.  NWA is diverse with more races than you will ever see in SEA.  And per capita we have less racial tension than small town South Ark.

Sawyer

Quote from: whosiskid on November 08, 2012, 07:14:52 pm
It is, however, a lovely place. And I'm a huge fan of William Faulkner.

Pretty much all Ole Miss has going for it.

Everything looks great. It's a Romantic, almost poetic place, like stepping into a novel. But it also happens to be a novel about a mediocre school with mediocre athletics and a long history of racial tension...

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 11, 2012, 11:11:27 am
I have lived in Mississippi (Como, Southaven), Birmingham AL, and NWA.  There is less racism and discrimination in NWA than the other 2.  You're just blinded by your hate of the progress in NWA over the last 20 years while your little corner of AR is drying up.  NWA is diverse with more races than you will ever see in SEA.  And per capita we have less racial tension than small town South Ark.

Did you even read my post? 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BirmingHam

I did, but you sound like IronHog (aka - only players in SEA or Central Ark are D1 quality and NWA is little league even though they kick our butts all the time). 

If you're saying that the so called racists are the minority, then we agree.  I've seen waaaayyyyy more racism in Birmingham, Memphis, South Ark, and Mississippi (Como is only 35 miles from Oxford)

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: BirmingHam on November 14, 2012, 09:10:54 am
I did, but you sound like IronHog (aka - only players in SEA or Central Ark are D1 quality and NWA is little league even though they kick our butts all the time). 

If you're saying that the so called racists are the minority, then we agree.  I've seen waaaayyyyy more racism in Birmingham, Memphis, South Ark, and Mississippi (Como is only 35 miles from Oxford)
Why would NWA come off as racist?  There aren't any minorities for them to hate there.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 11, 2012, 10:42:15 am

There is a lot of racism going on at Ole Miss these days, everyday on the memphis news there is more about one particular black student who has had the N word put on the door to his room, his car vandalized with the N word etched into his paint. This crap exists and it should be made public. Things arn't as bad in NWA thankfully.

This crap needs to stop.

BirmingHam

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 14, 2012, 09:39:47 am
Why would NWA come off as racist?  There aren't any minorities for them to hate there.

You sir are ignorant.  I believe your point is that there are not many African Americans. We have a distinct mix of minorities = African Americans, Vietnamese, Indians (from India), Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, etc.  Can you say the same for your beloved SEA.  I don't think so! 

Pull your head out and look at the facts!

the_kosher_pig

WTH are you talking about?  How did you assume that minorities meant ONLY black people? 
African American is racist to say. 

Would you say this guy:

is African American?  Then you'd be wrong.  He's not even in the US.  That makes you racist for assuming. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

PeabodyHawg

Mods please send this crap to the Trash.  This is the last topic we need to have discussed on the Recruiting Forum.