Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Season Starts Saturday

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 16, 2017, 09:39:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:01:08 pm
Things haven't gone "well" for most of the last 26 years.

Here are our SEC conference records, by coach:

Joe Kines 3-4-1 (.438)

Danny Ford 16-24-1 (.413)

Houston Nutt 42-38 (.525)

Bobby Petrino 17-15 (.531)

John L. Smith 2-6 (.250)

Bret Bielema 10-25 (.286)

That's 90-112-2 (.446). If you factor out the Bielema Years, we're still just 80-87-2 (.479).

That, my friend, is a losing program.

While I am in favor of a coaching change, the difference between me and a lot of the posters around here is that I believe the picture the numbers paint. I'm under no illusions that we just have to find the "right" coach.

Look at the bigger NCAA historical picture. Programs success come and go. Oregon, VA Tech, FSU, TCU, OSU, Washington were perennial losers.

Then you had the military schools back in day dominating. SMU. Minnesota. Miami. Nebraska. UCLA. Houston. ARKANSAS.

They come and go.

Try to get a hold of yourself. It can happen with right circumstance/coach.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 17, 2017, 08:03:57 pm
2008 was 10,000,000% not 4-4. We won 5 games that entire season, Petrino's first year.
Ok. I don't recall doing that badly in his 1st season but I stand corrected.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PonderinHog

2008 ended on a good note.  That was about it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:51:35 pm
I know the history; 26 years of it.

Imagine if that history had occurred from 1960 to 1986.

If Jack Crowe, Danny Ford and Houston Nutt had coached then things may have been different. And you might be a fan of some other team. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 08:16:19 pm
If Jack Crowe, Danny Ford and Houston Nutt had coached then things may have been different. And you might be a fan of some other team.

Perhaps so.

At some point (I argue now), what we did under Frank Broyles is no more relevant than what we did under Hugo Bezdek.

From Tusk Till Dawn

We have some traditional powers in the west.  Ever year if we lose to those guys and scratch and claw with the Mississippi's for middle of the pack we should probably be 4-4 in conf play.  Plus 3 cupcakes and a p5 opponent.  So year in year out, I typically feel we are prob a 7-8 win team.  With some luck maybe 9.  So im not super disappointed with 6 or 7 as long as we play hard because historically (as pointed out) thats been about where we have been in the SEC.  This is not your father's SWC. 

thebignasty

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 17, 2017, 08:13:06 pm
2008 ended on a good note.  That was about it.

Only beat some directional school because we hit freshman Chris Gragg on a bomb near the end of the game. I was there.   I think we beat Tulsa but going in they were riding high on Gus and I expected us to lose that game.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 08:19:01 pm
Perhaps so.

At some point (I argue now), what we did under Frank Broyles is no more relevant than what we did under Hugo Bezdek.

That has nothing to do with this subject and you know it. The issue is the quality of coaches Arkansas employed between 1992 and 2007. Crowe sucked, we went through an interim year, Ford was burned out, and Houston Nutt was at best mediocre like his SEC record. BP was 12-4 in years 3 and 4 before the program was eviscerated by a year of John L. Smith. Two years of recruiting were compromised and a new coach with an impressive resume came in to build an entirely different type team than Petrino recruited for.

So here we are with another coach you and most here for the moment say isn't any good. I'd prefer to wait until the end of the season to offer an opinion and, frankly, don't think it makes sense to hire a new coach until after next year. I'd like to see Bielema get one year without a QB named Allen. How would you like to have been in his situation the last five years?

lakecityhog

BPhil, he has had 5 years to bring in a QB  not named Allen. I have a very hard time dumping 5 years of frustration on the Allen boys, those 2 have done nothing but play their guts out for this team. All the while being talked about like dogs by "Razorback Fans"!

He has had every opportunity to change his situation. Do you remember that when HDN came here our biggest question was "can we beat teams like SMU, UNLV and Memphis State"??? Ford took us to the SEC Championship game and HDN had us there twice, now truthfully that was probably the apex for both. But, the fact remains that they got us there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 17, 2017, 09:13:50 pm
BPhil, he has had 5 years to bring in a QB  not named Allen. I have a very hard time dumping 5 years of frustration on the Allen boys, those 2 have done nothing but play their guts out for this team. All the while being talked about like dogs by "Razorback Fans"!

He has had every opportunity to change his situation. Do you remember that when HDN came here our biggest question was "can we beat teams like SMU, UNLV and Memphis State"??? Ford took us to the SEC Championship game and HDN had us there twice, now truthfully that was probably the apex for both. But, the fact remains that they got us there.

Do you really think he could have brought in a QB not named Allen?  Would you like to have
been in his position?

Brandon Allen had a good year-and-a-half and Austin Allen was very good the first half of 2016.  For whatever reason, he has not been the same QB in 2017.  Maybe he has been injured.  That and no WRs was the explanation for BA's poor sophomore year. 

What I do know is that AA's mechanics were not good from the get-go this year.  I said that here before Dan Enos said it publicly.  His decision making has been questionable as well.  The Allen brothers have always been off limits on Hogville.  The Arkansas media doesn't criticize their play.  Are they pretty good?  Yes.  At times both have been impressive.  But over 5 years, they have been spotty.  My point is that Bret Bielema entered a situation with the Allen family that would be awkward for most, at best. That may not be a popular thing to say, but it's pretty obvious if you're honest.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 17, 2017, 09:32:10 pm
Do you really think he could have brought in a QB not named Allen?  Would you like to have
been in his position?

Brandon Allen had a good year-and-a-half and Austin Allen was very good the first half of 2016.  For whatever reason, he has not been the same QB in 2017.  Maybe he has been injured.  That and no WRs was the explanation for BA's poor sophomore year. 

What I do know is that AA's mechanics were not good from the get-go this year.  I said that here before Dan Enos said it publicly.  His decision making has been questionable as well.  The Allen brothers have always been off limits on Hogville.  The Arkansas media doesn't criticize their play.  Are they pretty good?  Yes.  At times both have been impressive.  But over 5 years, they have been spotty.  My point is that Bret Bielema entered a situation with the Allen family that would be awkward for most, at best. That may not be a popular thing to say, but it's pretty obvious if you're honest.

last year AA had veteran receivers, this year not so much.

there is a serious lack of chemistry going on between them.  where AA seems constantly frustrated, CK looks like he wants to be there.  I think the WR group is going to connect with CK better as the season goes on. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 17, 2017, 09:38:14 pm
last year AA had veteran receivers, this year not so much.

there is a serious lack of chemistry going on between them.  where AA seems constantly frustrated, CK looks like he wants to be there.  I think the WR group is going to connect with CK better as the season goes on. 

All I know is what I see on the field.  Cole Kelley looks like a project to me from a mechanical perspective, but he presents some interesting options and has a classic QB demeanor.  AA's play has been a real problem this year, and that's just the way it is.

Mr Jade

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 16, 2017, 10:13:50 am
Did you watch Auburn Saturday?

They're not the world beaters they were advertised as.

Sure are Arkansas beaters though.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:35:56 am
I am not saying Auburn is top 10. But they are clearly top 25. Arkansas is not top 75. How do you see Auburn is NOT a good team? They are a very good team. Barely lost AT Clemson in 2nd game of year and had a 20-0 lead AT LSU that they gave away on a punt return. Get back to me after Auburn beats Ark by a score of around 48-17 and tell me Auburn is not putting it all together yet.

Again, I'm not coming at this from any angle, I am looking at it based solely on stats and results.
The poster to whom I made the above reply isn't getting back to me on this, is he?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:08:56 am
Friends, Auburn is 5-2 and 3-1 in SEC with the only SEC loss AT LSU in a very close game, by 4 points. Auburn's only other loss is to Clemson by score of 14-6. They pounded Missouri, Miss St and Ole Miss, scoring 51, 49 and 44 points respectively.  In other words, they don't lose to mediocre to bad teams. Not only do they not lose to them, they punish them.

Arkansas is 2-4 and 0-3 in SEC. In their 3 SEC games, the Hogs have given up 50, 48 and 41 points.

Auburn, after losing AT LSU on Saturday, will be hungry to show off their skills. Auburn has the dog in them while Ark has a domesticated Persian long-haired pussycat in them.

This is going to be at least a 20 point win for Auburn and yet another Bielema classic where Arkansas scored very little to zero in 2nd half.

The above is not what I hope for. It is based on facts and stats. It doesn't matter at this point because Bielema is already gone.
So easy to see when you can view all of this with total objectivity.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 16, 2017, 12:17:59 pm
What kills me:

1. not posting on HV until something bad happens, and then showing up to gloat about it or say "I told ya' so"
2. arguing in the summer that we were no better than a 6-win team, then when we are on track to (maybe) meet those expectations suddenly that poster revises things and says we are underachieving
3. posting contradictory reasons why we are not meeting expectations, and not caring about the contradictions (ie, you can't have it both ways)

I understand being optimistic is part of being a fan for a lot of people, but the fact that there are, or have been until now, fans who apparently don't realize or don't want to admit how terrible this football program has become is baffling.  We were 12-28 in our last 40 SEC games going into this season.  We had been beaten by at least three TDs three times in four games, and yet some people thought we were good enough to beat Auburn.

Here is what I said back in early September.

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 06, 2017, 08:54:13 pm
I'm going to ask all of you how confident you are again after the first seven games are over.

We are what our record says we are.

WDE44

Kudos to the 2 reasonable hog fans ITT.. That's 2 more than I realized even existed on hogville. To the rest of you... Please, keep it up. I love this place.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 04:15:08 pm
I understand being optimistic is part of being a fan for a lot of people, but the fact that there are, or have been until now, fans who apparently don't realize or don't want to admit how terrible this football program has become is baffling.  We were 12-28 in our last 40 SEC games going into this season.  We had been beaten by at least three TDs three times in four games, and yet some people thought we were good enough to beat Auburn.

Here is what I said back in early September.

We are what our record says we are.
You make good points but you (not necessarily you personally) cant have it both ways.  By that I mean you cant complain about people being optimistic or out of touch but then complain about our overall record.  We have 19 losses to ranked opponents.  Arguably if one team is ranked and the other is not, the ranked team should win.  So in 19 previous occasions we should have lost.  How do we ever get over the hump?  We have to beat some people that we shouldnt right?  We have to surprise some people like we did FL last year.  Maybe your right and we lose out, I hope not.