Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many SEC Jobs Open Thanksgiving Weekend?

Started by WilsonHog, October 15, 2017, 01:00:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

It is 9am Monday here so will Jones be fired today??  That is the rumor at some sites I have seen.

ThisTeetsTaken

I'd like Barry Odom to be our new coach's DL coach.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: husker71 on October 15, 2017, 07:55:03 pm
It is 9am Monday here so will Jones be fired today??  That is the rumor at some sites I have seen.
I've seen nothing but some questionable tweets alluding to it. But who knows. I think they have Bama this weekend so maybe they want him to coach the beat down.

harley spoon

Aggie here:  Interesting thing with Sumlin is that after this year, he will only have two years left on his contract.  If he stays, will be hard to recruit next year with only one year on his contract.  So most speculate he will either get an extension or be fired....one or the other.  Win only seven games and he's gone.  Win nine games and he stays.  Win eight games and it depends how those last two games are lost.  Hard to replace unless there is a very good candidate.  From his perspective, who else is going to give him a guaranteed $5.5M per year at this point?  Thus, good chance he will get a one year extension with a nominal raise after Thanksgiving.  A young head coach when we hired him....he seems to have learned a lot the last six years in the SEC......so is now really the time to hire another young coach to learn all over?  We could have easily already lost four games....or we could much easier have only one loss to the number one team by only one score and be in the top ten.  That's the conundrum.  So....probably a one year extension at end of year.....unless he loses three more games (fired) or goes 11-2 (longer extension).

jbcarol

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 01:00:21 pm
SEC West

Bret Bielema - Let's just leave this here: In his 5th season, he's 27-30 overall at Arkansas and 10-25. Best case scenario, it's hard to envision anything better than 5-7 this year, and more likely no better than 4-8.

Matt Luke - Looks like somewhere between 4-8 and 6-6. The latter might be enough to get the Ole Miss admin to favor the local boy, but not likely.

Gus Malzahn - Isn't amazing how quickly fortunes can turn in the SEC? Coughing up a 20-0 lead to LSU has the good people down On the Plains up in arms.  If he can beat the Crimson Tide and go into bowl season 9-3 he'll be golden; otherwise, Gus is probably looking at an 8-4 season capped by another loss to Alabama. After going 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 the last three years, that won't likely be enough to save his job.

Ed Orgeron - Gotta give the Big Cajun credit. After the disaster against Troy, the Tigers have won games over Florida and Auburn. They really should finish 8-4 or 9-3, which will certainly be enough to keep him employed down in Baton Rouge.

Kevin Sumlin - This gets more intriguing by the week. Will 8-4, the fifth consecutive eight or nine-win season in College Station, get Sumlin another year? Doubtful. He probably wouldn't want it anyway. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

SEC East

Jim McElwain - Could be looking at a 6-5 or 7-4 regular season. He'll probably get one more season at least after consecutive appearances in the SECCG, but he'll enter 2018 on a little bit of a hot seat.

Butch Jones - Almost certainly out at Tennessee. As inept as the Vols' offense is, it is difficult to see Tennessee finishing any better than 6-6, maybe 7-5. Consecutive 9-win seasons doesn't appear enough to save him.

Barry Odom - Looks like consecutive 4-8 seasons for the Tigers, but he'll likely get one more year. Not many coaches get fired after two seasons barring some off-field nonsense.

That's likely four, maybe five SEC jobs open. The crazy thing is that the one whose case for termination should be the strongest is Bielema's. Of all the coaches listed, he's had a combination of the most time and the weakest results.

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell Oct 20

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd speculates that frustrated Jim McElwain could bolt Florida
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net