Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS renovations

Started by factchecker, May 11, 2017, 07:43:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 11:06:11 pm
I'm not talking about the fans that don't have the funds, health, or means to attend games.  I'm talking about the fans that explicitly state I will not go to a game if it's played in Little Rock.   There have been plenty on this board that have made that clear.   Are you calling these fans t-shirt fans also?

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've seen somebody post they would stop being a Razorback fan if games aren't played in Little Rock.  What I have seen posted many times is how somebody's first memory of Razorback football was a game in Little Rock and that is how they became a fan, and they are afraid that kids now aren't going to have that same experience or attachment to the team because of it.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?

Does the person choosing not to go to Fayetteville OR Little Rock still cheer on the Razorbacks?  Does the person still donate money to the Razorback Foundation?  Does the person have a degree from The University of Arkansas on their wall?

If ANY (does not have to be all) of those questions are answered yes (especially the first one) then they are NOT t-shirt fans.  Simple.

I've seen plenty of little rock fans threaten to switch their fanhood.  I've seen plenty of little rock fans wish that state would play in WMS (even they don't want to play there) so that they can switch their t-shirt.  Someone on here was hoping LSU would start playing a game every year in WMS.  Yes, they want LSU to give up a home game to play in little rock.

If your worried about your kids making memories then try your best to get them to the Razorback stadium for a game.  Times change.

Moreso, you need to go back and reread this thread.

I stated that although I don't like tax money being used that I was happy with WMS renovations.  I never said that I will never go to WMS or that we need to stop playing there.  The problem arose when someone who doesn't even live in this state told everyone to shut up and leave central arkansas alone.

My retort was simple.  Since we are paying taxes then we have a right to complain.

I still find it ironic that people are perfectly fine with tax money being used for WMS renovations but bitch about Razorback Stadium's self funded renovations.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawganatic

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 11:18:18 pm
Does the person choosing not to go to Fayetteville OR Little Rock still cheer on the Razorbacks?  Does the person still donate money to the Razorback Foundation?  Does the person have a degree from The University of Arkansas on their wall?

If ANY (does not have to be all) of those questions are answered yes (especially the first one) then they are NOT t-shirt fans.  Simple.

I've seen plenty of little rock fans threaten to switch their fanhood.  I've seen plenty of little rock fans wish that state would play in WMS (even they don't want to play there) so that they can switch their t-shirt.  Someone on here was hoping LSU would start playing a game every year in WMS.  Yes, they want LSU to give up a home game to play in little rock.

If your worried about your kids making memories then try your best to get them to the Razorback stadium for a game.  Times change.

Moreso, you need to go back and reread this thread.

I stated that although I don't like tax money being used that I was happy with WMS renovations.  I never said that I will never go to WMS or that we need to stop playing there.  The problem arose when someone who doesn't even live in this state told everyone to shut up and leave central arkansas alone.

My retort was simple.  Since we are paying taxes then we have a right to complain.

I still find it ironic that people are perfectly fine with tax money being used for WMS renovations but bitch about Razorback Stadium's self funded renovations.

You dance around it but you won't answer my question.  If a fan, who is otherwise capable (as far as time, money, work, etc), refuses to go to a game at WMS for no other reason than he/she doesn't think games should be played there, is that fan put in the same category as "not much of a fan." Either way the person is putting their own preference over the team.

You also seem to not want to answer my second question.  Do you agree/disagree that no games in Little Rock will have an effect on kids who can't, for whatever reason, go to games in Fayetteville?

Really don't care about all that other stuff.  I didn't comment on any of those posts for a reason.

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 11:38:03 pm
Do you agree/disagree that no games in Little Rock will have an effect on kids who can't, for whatever reason, go to games in Fayetteville?

Really don't care about all that other stuff.  I didn't comment on any of those posts for a reason.

I'm sure games not being played in little rock can impact kids.  Just like if we pulled games out of Dallas it would impact some of the Razorback fans/alumni who live in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. - Side note:  I think we should play the AnM game on campus.  I hate that we play a conference home game in Dallas every other year.  If we continue to play in Dallas I'd rather it be a non-con.

However, cable and internet has changed the landscape dramatically.  You can still be a fan without going to games.

In the end, you do you.  If you want to switch allegiance because the Razorbacks pull out of WMS then go for it.  I'll go to every game that I'm able to regardless of venue and when I can't make it to games I still cheer on the Hogs.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawganatic

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 11:50:04 pm

However, cable and internet has changed the landscape dramatically.  You can still be a fan without going to games.

This is the crux of their point.  You can turn on the TV on Saturday and watch any team in the country.  Without the personal experience of being able to go to a game (which a lot of people just can't), then more and more kids are going to grow up fans of other teams (primarily the ones that actually win championships).

We are unique to any other team in the country in that the bulk of the fanbase lives 2 and 1/2 hours from the campus.  Most teams have enough fans in a 50 mile radius to fill the stadium, we don't.  Games at WMS obviously hurt the team from a financial/travel/recruiting perspective, but removing the games will also have a negative impact in that the connection between the team and fans that can't go to Fayetteville (talking primarily kids) is going to be hurt.

Me personally, I don't really care where the games are played.  I go to Fayetteville and Little Rock games when I can.  Last year I was living in Dallas so I as able to go to the TCU and A&M games.  The games I don't go to I'm usually in a bar with my buddies drinking beer and watching.  Just really doesn't matter to me where they are as long as I get to watch in one way or the other.

And you still haven't answered my first question.  I suspect it's because you know you'll be descended upon and attacked by the anti-WMS crowd...

factchecker

Quote from: hawganatic on May 26, 2017, 12:06:37 am
Me personally, I don't really care where the games are played.  I go to Fayetteville and Little Rock games when I can.  Last year I was living in Dallas so I as able to go to the TCU and A&M games.  The games I don't go too I'm usually in a bar with my buddies drinking beer and watching.  Just really doesn't matter to me where they are as long as I get to watch in one way or the other.

And you still haven't answered my first question.  I suspect it's because you know you'll be descended upon and attacked by the anti-WMS crowd...

We are in the same boat.  I just want to be able to watch the game.

Overall, I think it's idiotic to let hatred of a stadium or city keep someone from watching their Razorbacks play.   If you don't like drunks then stay away from the rowdy tailgates.  We have drunks in Fayetteville too. If you want elbow room then make sure you get a chairback or buy an extra ticket.  Simple.  WMS is old but not bad.

With the news of the GnR concert it will be interesting to see if this spurs them to get the renovations done before the season.  It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a concert series designed to give WMS the ability to be self-sufficient.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 11:06:11 pm
I'm not talking about the fans that don't have the funds, health, or means to attend games.  I'm talking about the fans that explicitly state I will not go to a game if it's played in Little Rock.   There have been plenty on this board that have made that clear.   Are you calling these fans t-shirt fans also?

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've seen somebody post they would stop being a Razorback fan if games aren't played in Little Rock.  What I have seen posted many times is how somebody's first memory of Razorback football was a game in Little Rock and that is how they became a fan, and they are afraid that kids now aren't going to have that same experience or attachment to the team because of it.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?

What's the running tally between "won't go to Fayetteville anymore" and "won't go to WMS anymore". You seem to have some knowledge of a hand count. As to the growing up going to games in LR, sure, in the 70's to early 90's, people didn't travel as they do today. It's a different time, so it isn't really comparable.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on May 26, 2017, 07:16:56 am
What's the running tally between "won't go to Fayetteville anymore" and "won't go to WMS anymore". You seem to have some knowledge of a hand count. As to the growing up going to games in LR, sure, in the 70's to early 90's, people didn't travel as they do today. It's a different time, so it isn't really comparable.

This isn't directed at rice, but do any of you who insult WMS and the fans here realize how ridiculous and petty you sound? How old are you factchecker?  Where do you live?  Where did you grow up?  Did I say I wouldn't be at the FAMU game?  No.  I told the jerk who patronized me about my "fond memories" to eat me.  The guy is too stupid to comprehend that I had just agreed with Guv that playing no more games in LR is a "no brainer", which I've said for about 5 years.

Plenty of us are getting pretty sick of this B.S. I thought this was a Razorbacks message board for Razorbacks fans.  What is is y'all's problem in Fayetteville?  Are your poor whiddle undies still in a bundle because our Hogs played 4 games a year in Little Rock when NWA was nothing more than a sleepy little hamlet with AQ Chicken and not enough hotels for us to stay in when we came up for games?  Well those days are over.  We LOVE coming to games in Fayetteville.  We're PROUD of RRS and the growth of NWA.  We're PROUD of Bud Walton and Baum and the stature and growth of the UofA.  As for me, my name is in the sidewalk and I'm PROUD of the degree on my wall.  I will be PROUD if one of my children follows in their parents' footsteps. 

As for travel, I don't have any data on how many people traveled in the 60's or 70's or 80's or 90's or since to games.  What I do know is this - you'd best leave Little Rock early on a Saturday 20 or 30 or 40 years ago when a game was in Fayetteville unless you were one of the lucky ones who could get a hotel room anywhere from Fort Smith to Eureka Springs on a game weekend.  People who made the trip for virtually every game the way my family did will remember the steady stream of traffic on I-40, the Pigtrail and over Mt. Gaylor.  The roads were PACKED with Razorbacks fans.  And you know what?  We looked forward to those trips!  They were highlights of the year for us.  They were one of the main reasons so many of us couldn't wait to get to Fayetteville for college.

Google a photo of WMS full of 55,000 red clad fans and tell me it looks like a high school stadium.  It looks like a smaller version of the Rose Bowl, especially from the Goodyear blimp, which at one time was an annual sight over Little Rock.  Jim McKay and Chris Schenkel loved the scene in WMS and it came through in their telecasts.  What was not to love?  It was an awesome place for college football.  It was part of the Razorbacks brand that lives on, and it gave the people of Arkansas something to be proud of, just like RRS does now.  You want to see old bathrooms and long lines for concessions?  Go to a game in Knoxville.  I can't recall ever seeing a shot on television of any stadium's bathrooms.

I spoke with a friend recently who said there's a lot of talk in the men's locker room at his country club in a city south of Little Rock about the attitude of the University towards the rest of the state.  He was talking about football.  Like me, he grew up in Little Rock in a family that went to all the games and had supported the team and the university for generations.  His family and career took him away from the state for 40 years before he moved back recently.  He is shocked by the decline of Little Rock and the general malaise and discontent in the fanbase.  He doesn't believe it has anything to do with less games, or no more games, in WMS.  Neither do I.  He just said the men he has spoken to don't feel valued by the program anymore.  The message has been delivered load and clear - Little Rock is a road game with "bad mojo", and the players don't like playing there.  Why do you think the stands should be full for the bones Jeff Long has been throwing central Arkansas and the delta the last few years?  They won't be.  More importantly, the message the worst games on the schedule send, coupled with quotes from Bielema and Long and Brooks Ellis, has changed the culture in the fanbase itself, and that is damage that may never be repaired.  Was it worth a few million dollars or throwing Little Rock under the bus to damage loyalty that way?  Who knows, but it is not the kind of stewardship and vision that built the program to begin with.  It is the kind of "what have you done for me lately" bottom-line only thinking that permeates board rooms and athletic departments today, and it is wrong.         

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

311Hog

I am sorry but people at the UofA and in NWA didn't "do this" to Little Rock.  You cannot act like you own something and refuse to be civil about something you "supposedly" love and expect things not to change.

1. You want big time college football in the SEC.  But you want the UofA to continue to subsidize playing in an alternate venue when no one else in the conference does for obvious reasons.
2. I am from southern AR, and yes for years LR games were all i could see as a kid and as an adult before i moved to NWA and graduated from the UofA. They are fond memories, but being an acehole about it and getting into a regional pissing contest because a "fact of life" happened isn't the way to go about it.
3. The UofA tries to ease out as gently as possible and gets slammed in the process for "bad opponents" etc. Have you been to the golf course on a game day recently? because i have and it is a pretty big shiet show.  Basically woodstock married to nascar and when i say that i mean that thousands of people are just there to get hammered and tear stuff up, they don't even go into the game and it wouldn't matter if the Hogs were playing Bama.
4. For along time the two have needed each other, and the fact that the UofA doesn't really need Little Rock anymore is a very painful thing to some i get that believe me, but man the reaction is just wrong and it smacks that there was never really any love there to begin with from some, that they think of and thought of the Hogs are their professional team to cheer and spit on as they pleased never understanding that there is an institution connected to it, and it could have been in Little Rock but they made the wrong choice.

It is hard to live with your choices sometimes.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 26, 2017, 12:05:59 pm
I am sorry but people at the UofA and in NWA didn't "do this" to Little Rock.  You cannot act like you own something and refuse to be civil about something you "supposedly" love and expect things not to change.

1. You want big time college football in the SEC.  But you want the UofA to continue to subsidize playing in an alternate venue when no one else in the conference does for obvious reasons.
2. I am from southern AR, and yes for years LR games were all i could see as a kid and as an adult before i moved to NWA and graduated from the UofA. They are fond memories, but being an acehole about it and getting into a regional pissing contest because a "fact of life" happened isn't the way to go about it.
3. The UofA tries to ease out as gently as possible and gets slammed in the process for "bad opponents" etc. Have you been to the golf course on a game day recently? because i have and it is a pretty big shiet show.  Basically woodstock married to nascar and when i say that i mean that thousands of people are just there to get hammered and tear stuff up, they don't even go into the game and it wouldn't matter if the Hogs were playing Bama.
4. For along time the two have needed each other, and the fact that the UofA doesn't really need Little Rock anymore is a very painful thing to some i get that believe me, but man the reaction is just wrong and it smacks that there was never really any love there to begin with from some, that they think of and thought of the Hogs are their professional team to cheer and spit on as they pleased never understanding that there is an institution connected to it, and it could have been in Little Rock but they made the wrong choice.

You need to read his post again because your #1 is wrong. He specifically stated that he supports moving all games to Fayetteville.

I support that too but the derogatory and degrading remarks some make about WMS are unnecessary and uncalled for.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 26, 2017, 12:20:43 pm
You need to read his post again because your #1 is wrong. He specifically stated that he supports moving all games to Fayetteville.

I support that too but the derogatory and degrading remarks some make about WMS are unnecessary and uncalled for.

did i quote him? because i am pretty sure i didn't and i wasn't responding directly to the immediately previous post to mine.

And no there is no need to be derogatory in either direction, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.  Also when you observe something as basically 100%  fact and then say it out loud, that isn't being derogatory.

ricepig

Quote from: 311Hog on May 26, 2017, 12:05:59 pm

+1000, I live in NEA and make the drive 6+ times a year to Fayetteville, why, because that's where the university is located. As you said, the times have changed, learn to adapt. I find it funny that I never hear any of the alums up here complain that the university has abandoned us, it's always the Central or Southern people claiming this.

And to the posts disparaging WMS or LR, I figure 95% of the posters do it to elicit a response, such as above. You know, it is a message board, lol.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 26, 2017, 12:30:35 pm
did i quote him? because i am pretty sure i didn't and i wasn't responding directly to the immediately previous post to mine.

And no there is no need to be derogatory in either direction, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.  Also when you observe something as basically 100%  fact and then say it out loud, that isn't being derogatory.

Yes indeed, people do it in both directions and it should stop. The U of A needs its fans from all over to fill DWRRS and will even more so when the current expansion is completed.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 26, 2017, 11:48:41 am
This isn't directed at rice, but do any of you who insult WMS and the fans here realize how ridiculous and petty you sound? How old are you factchecker?  Where do you live?  Where did you grow up?  Did I say I wouldn't be at the FAMU game?  No.  I told the jerk who patronized me about my "fond memories" to eat me.  The guy is too stupid to comprehend that I had just agreed with Guv that playing no more games in LR is a "no brainer", which I've said for about 5 years now.

I don't give a flying flip where you think the games should be played. You are getting patronized for trying to convince everyone WMS and Little Rock has not become a cesspool when the few folks that aren't hammered out of their gourds on a LR game day know better.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Pork Twain

Way too little and far too late.  Time to move all games to our home stadium.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 09:45:20 am
True but what you're forgetting is that Millions in tax money was spent to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. If I-540 had not been built from I-40 to Fayetteville, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium so tax money did make the renovations to DWRRS possible even though no tax money was used in the renovation itself.

You forget that most of that money was fed money. It usually is for interstates and sometimes for state roads as well. NWA or any are that is having severe going pains normally gets the $ for infrastructure. That was going to happen in NWA at some point in time due to some big companies up there no matter what. There are two other fairly long interstates in the state that "connects" an area to somewhere else. Neither was built because of the primary need to connect a college. One which I know you are familiar with since it connects Pine Bluff and a lot of SEA to the central part of the state. That is I-530. The other is I-555. I wonder if you know where it is and what it connects..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goodguytex

When is the last time WMS was even filled to capacity for a game?? Seems like there's not enough support from LR to play there anyway.

hog.goblin

True but what you're forgetting is that Millions in tax money was spent to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state. If I-540 had not been built from I-40 to Fayetteville, RRS would still be just a 49,000 seat stadium so tax money did make the renovations to DWRRS possible even though no tax money was used in the renovation itself.

Interstates are FEDERAL property funded with FEDERAL money, and I-540 has always been part of the FEDERAL plan since 1965 to extend I-29 from Canada to New Orleans.  This is why it's now known as I-49 and not I-540.

GuvHog

May 27, 2017, 10:03:22 am #217 Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:46:01 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 27, 2017, 09:37:33 am
You forget that most of that money was fed money. It usually is for interstates and sometimes for state roads as well. NWA or any are that is having severe going pains normally gets the $ for infrastructure. That was going to happen in NWA at some point in time due to some big companies up there no matter what. There are two other fairly long interstates in the state that "connects" an area to somewhere else. Neither was built because of the primary need to connect a college. One which I know you are familiar with since it connects Pine Bluff and a lot of SEA to the central part of the state. That is I-530. The other is I-555. I wonder if you know where it is and what it connects..........................

Yes, I know where I-555 is and what it connects. I'm originally from that area of the state. It connects Jonesboro to I-55.

I never said that I-540 was built to connect a college, Where you got that I do not know.

I-540 was built to connect I-40 with NWA. The U of A just happened to greatly benefit from it in that I-540 made the University far more accessible for the rest of the state and other areas. My point still stands. Had I-540 not been built, RRS would not have been expanded to 72,000.

Inhogswetrust

May 27, 2017, 10:03:44 am #218 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:14:14 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2017, 01:40:49 pm
3. At least FedEx considered Little Rock. They never even batted an eyelash at NWA.

We've all heard the story about that. My wife works at the FedEx corporate offices. Do you honestly think they were a huge company back then WHEN they "considered" Little Rock or did everyone know it was going to grow as big as it is today. Nope. Same with Wal-Mart and NWA or Nike and Beaverton, OR and many other companies as to where they located or why. FedEx was a little more than a huge gamble and dream of Fred's for what they eventually would become. It would have been a big risk for Little Rock to do it AND Fred used them somewhat to get what he wanted out of Memphis PTB's at the Airport Authority and the local government. Would you like for my wife to call you and tell you how all of that went down at the time?

I will admit because of some cities dealing with small businesses that became large one's and not getting them in their city, that cities today are scared of making that mistake and will do damn near anything to get a company to locate in their city. My Brother in Law moved his company to Memphis from a suburb ONLY because Memphis was willing to break the bank to get it over that suburb. Ironically very few of his employees actually live in Memphis. Most live in that suburb or another one. He got so many concessions from Memphis he was able to use that against the suburb he moved it from. The suburb is actually where he and his whole family still live and the main office is barely in Memphis almost straight across the road from the suburb and his old headquarters. The suburb knew that did not have to cave in and would still get the benefits of the location he chose without having to give up a lot. Ironically he is still using his old location anyway as the administrative support office and has almost as many employees in it as it did before the main office moved!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:03:22 am
Yes, I know where I 555 is and what it connects. I'm originally from that area of the state. It connects Jonesboro to I-55.

I never said that I-540 was built to connect a college, Where you got that I do not know.

I-540 was built to connect I-40 with NWA. The U of A just happened to greatly benefit from it in that I-540 made the University far more accessible for the rest of the state and other areas. My point still stands. Had I-540 not been built, RRS would not have been expanded.

You mentioning the UA and the stadium means you believe it was a part of the reason it was built. Quit talking about what if's. What if's are for losers. Where and what would any city in Arkansas have become if any besides LR had been chosen as the capital? Also don't forget other cities in Arkansas have a road close to them or that passes through them that are built to interstate quality or at least somewhat similar to it. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: goodguytex on May 27, 2017, 09:45:07 am
When is the last time WMS was even filled to capacity for a game?? Seems like there's not enough support from LR to play there anyway.

There is support for the UA there. As far as the need to play there anymore, that is another subject.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 27, 2017, 10:07:47 am
You mentioning the UA and the stadium means you believe it was a part of the reason it was built. Quit talking about what if's. What if's are for losers. Where and what would any city in Arkansas have become if any besides LR had been chosen as the capital?

Wrong. The U of A was not part of the reason that I-540 was built but it did benefit greatly from it's construction. Whether you will admit it or not, the construction of I-540 made the Stadium expansion possible.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:14:52 am
Wrong. The U of A was not part of the reason that I-540 was built but it did benefit greatly from it's construction. Whether you will admit it or not, the construction of I-540 made the Stadium expansion possible.

The stadium was also expanded before the interstate connected to I-40. No way to know what would have happened going forward afterwards. IF the area continued to grow as it did then expansions might have still occurred. Maybe not as fast or as big but I bet enough to where playing in LR would perhaps still have been dropped at some point.

hog.goblin

I-540 was built to connect I-40 with NWA. The U of A just happened to greatly benefit from it in that I-540 made the University far more accessible for the rest of the state and other areas. My point still stands. Had I-540 not been built, RRS would not have been expanded.

No it wasn't, it was built as part of the overall plan to connect K.C. to New Orleans.  Hwy 71 already connected NWA to I-40 and was only insufficient on game day

hog.goblin

you sure implied it and now you are splitting hairs to try and back track

GuvHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 27, 2017, 10:29:11 am
you sure implied it and now you are splitting hairs to try and back track

No, I did not imply that at all, that is just the way you chose to read it. I've maintained all along that I-540 was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state and other areas.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 27, 2017, 10:19:15 am
The stadium was also expanded before the interstate connected to I-40. No way to know what would have happened going forward afterwards. IF the area continued to grow as it did then expansions might have still occurred. Maybe not as fast or as big but I bet enough to where playing in LR would perhaps still have been dropped at some point.

Wrong again. I-540 was already under construction when the expansion to 72,000 began.

GuvHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 27, 2017, 10:26:18 am
No it wasn't, it was built as part of the overall plan to connect K.C. to New Orleans.  Hwy 71 already connected NWA to I-40 and was only insufficient on game day

The I-49 idea came about long after I-540 was completed. One had nothing to do with the other.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:37:23 am
Wrong again. I-540 was already under construction when the expansion to 72,000 began.

No you are wrong. You are forgetting there was expansion prior to that one!

hog.goblin

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:40:14 am
The I-49 idea came about long after I-540 was completed. One had nothing to do with the other.

Incorrect.   I-29 being extended through NWA has been part of the plan since 1965.  The only question was whether it would be via Hwy 71 or alternate roads.  When the state made plans to build the bypass it was immediately known that it would be a future part of I-29.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:35:14 am
No, I did not imply that at all, that is just the way you chose to read it. I've maintained all along that I-540 was built to make NWA more accessible to the rest of the state and other areas.

You maintaining a wrong opinion all along doesn't keep you from being wrong

Hawg414

Quote from: goodguytex on May 27, 2017, 09:45:07 am

about the time JL removed any meaningful games.  reduced games overall (which is fine) and began throwing a few bones with what games it did have.  i contend that was part of JLs master plan all along.  make the games in WMS so undesirable that it doesnt sell out... then use that as added ammunition in the argument to move all games. 

we open the season this year against something called florida a&m i think.. or maybe its florida atlantic.  not sure.  oh, and its also moved to a thursday night.  i wonder if it is going to sell out??

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on May 27, 2017, 10:35:14 am

See hog.goblin?.....you're not reading it right. Gotta tighten up man.

hog.goblin

Quote from: LZH on May 27, 2017, 02:07:14 pm
See hog.goblin?.....you're not reading it right. Gotta tighten up man.

good point, I need to get my #@%! together   :)

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 27, 2017, 02:21:39 pm
good point, I need to get my #@%! together   :)

Or new glasses....

Sweet Feet

Quote from: factchecker on May 25, 2017, 02:00:46 pm
I agree.

Hopefully trojan fans help them become self-sufficient vs. stealing money from students and relying on government subsidies.  Maybe WMS will be nice and not charge the trojans to play there unlike they do with the Hogs.

Theres already been a push towards it. From the students with a petition, to the chancellor and AD with interest, and even the Mayor of LR and WMS officials wanting them to have one.

Something to think about too: the Sun Belt has forced out Idaho and New Mexico St amongst others in the past who either didn't have football, or wasn't a full member. They now have 10 football schools, with a CCG starting in 18. Most conf have more than 10 teams when wanting divisions and CCGs. The Sun Belt indeed has 12 full time teams, but 2 don't have football. So maybe the Sun Belt will push towards UALR getting football too?

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 27, 2017, 03:52:30 pm
Theres already been a push towards it. From the students with a petition, to the chancellor and AD with interest, and even the Mayor of LR and WMS officials wanting them to have one.

Something to think about too: the Sun Belt has forced out Idaho and New Mexico St amongst others in the past who either didn't have football, or wasn't a full member. They now have 10 football schools, with a CCG starting in 18. Most conf have more than 10 teams when wanting divisions and CCGs. The Sun Belt indeed has 12 full time teams, but 2 don't have football. So maybe the Sun Belt will push towards UALR getting football too?
Or kick them out of the league.....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 27, 2017, 02:00:56 pm
about the time JL removed any meaningful games.  reduced games overall (which is fine) and began throwing a few bones with what games it did have.  i contend that was part of JLs master plan all along.  make the games in WMS so undesirable that it doesnt sell out... then use that as added ammunition in the argument to move all games. 

we open the season this year against something called florida a&m i think.. or maybe its florida atlantic.  not sure.  oh, and its also moved to a thursday night.  i wonder if it is going to sell out??

Actually the number of reduced games started when Frank was still AD. He also had it in the contract to play only a certain number of conference games there. That later got amended somewhat.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 27, 2017, 06:21:32 pm
Actually the number of reduced games started when Frank was still AD. He also had it in the contract to play only a certain number of conference games there. That later got amended somewhat.

I don't think that's what he's talking about and doubt you do, either.  His theory has crossed a few minds.

Pork Twain

Watching Guv recreate history and just flat out make stuff up, is like watching a masterful artist.  He is like FCJ, if FCJ were smarter.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 27, 2017, 11:25:05 am
No you are wrong. You are forgetting there was expansion prior to that one!

Indeed there were some minor ones but I was referring  to the big one that raised capacity from 49,000 to 72,000. Construction on It began while the construction of I-540 was underway.

Seebs

Relining of the WMS parking lot has begun.  No corners cut.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 07:43:29 am
Indeed there were some minor ones but I was referring  to the big one that raised capacity from 49,000 to 72,000. Construction on It began while the construction of I-540 was underway.

I believe adding a whole sideline with an upper deck and a whole sideline of suites is not minor...................................

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 29, 2017, 08:44:55 am
I believe adding a whole sideline with an upper deck and a whole sideline of suites is not minor...................................

Is that like minor surgery???

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 29, 2017, 08:44:55 am

They did that on the east side as part of the major expansion I referred to as the big expansion to 72,000 capacity. I do not remember when they did the upper deck on the west side. I remember when they had bench seating in the south end zone but it was removed prior to the 1999 season to make way for the existing south end zone structure.

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 11:19:38 am
They did that on the east side as part of the major expansion I referred to as the big expansion to 72,000 capacity. I do not remember when they did the upper deck on the west side. I remember when they had bench seating in the south end zone but it was removed prior to the 1999 season to make way for the existing south end zone structure.

bphi11ips

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on May 29, 2017, 12:10:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn't remember exactly when they did it.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 29, 2017, 01:05:29 pm
Happy Memorial Day!

You too.....

Quote from: GuvHog on May 29, 2017, 01:24:12 pm
Thanks for the info. I didn't remember exactly when they did it.

Texas was the first game in the expanded stadium that year. We missed at least 3 FG's and a two point conversion and Texas kicked five field goals to win by 1 or 2. Fwiw, I saw a couple of our offensive starters later that night and they were plastered, laughing about it.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg414 on May 27, 2017, 02:00:56 pm

the game won't sell out but there will be quiet a few in the golf course outside of the stadium.