Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas coaches and graphics impresses highly recruited athlete

Started by Richard Davenport, February 15, 2018, 11:29:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hou-Hog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 15, 2018, 11:29:01 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/15/coaches-and-graphics-impresses-highly-recruited-at/
Richard - doesn't it feel like waste of time to recruit him since his dad is coaching at FSU.  What are the chances that he does not sign there?1%. I know some will say "so we still have a chance".  From my perspective our coaches have a finite amount of time to recruit and I would hope that we would spend our time with top athletes that are not so clearerly linked to one school. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hou-Hog on February 15, 2018, 11:38:10 pm
Richard - doesn't it feel like waste of time to recruit him since his dad is coaching at FSU.  What are the chances that he does not sign there?1%. I know some will say "so we still have a chance".  From my perspective our coaches have a finite amount of time to recruit and I would hope that we would spend our time with top athletes that are not so clearerly linked to one school.
assistant coaches change schools every 1.5 years on average.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Peter Porker

Reggie Herring coached  for us but his son signed with Auburn.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jgphillips3

Sometimes Dad's tell their kids to go somewhere other than where they are coaching.  You never know.

NoogaHog

Multiple examples of kids being somewhere other than where their dad is an assistant. Vernon Hargreaves, III, Vinnie Sunseri come to mind right off the bat.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

AugustaHog

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 16, 2018, 09:08:27 am
Multiple examples of kids being somewhere other than where their dad is an assistant. Vernon Hargreaves, III, Vinnie Sunseri come to mind right off the bat.
I get where you are going here, but the Hargreaves reference is a bit off because dad was at a lower quality school (either USF or Houston not sure) when his son was being recruited.  Gators >>>>>either of those schools.  Vinnie Sunseri was recruited when his dad was still at Bama so that doesn't work either.  His FR year was 2011 and dad was there from 2009-2011.

oldhawg

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 16, 2018, 09:13:20 am
I get where you are going here, but the Hargreaves reference is a bit off because dad was at a lower quality school (either USF or Houston not sure) when his son was being recruited.  Gators >>>>>either of those schools.  Vinnie Sunseri was recruited when his dad was still at Bama so that doesn't work either.  His FR year was 2011 and dad was there from 2009-2011.

Sort of supports the idea that the lifespan of assistant coaches at a particular school often is not very long. 

Brent Venables son signed with Clemson, but who knows, in two years Venables may be a head coach somewhere.

Probably a bit more difficult to convince a son to go somewhere that his father is not coaching, but still worth the effort, at least initially until a commitment is made.  I have no facts to back this up, but I would think that someone committing to the school where his father coaches, would happen rather early in the process.

Lanlord

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 16, 2018, 08:38:08 am
Sometimes Dad's tell their kids to go somewhere other than where they are coaching.  You never know.

My experience has been whenever a coach has coached his own son he is harder on him and expects more out of him than anyone else on the team.

TexHog188

Why not offer, and then gauge the interest from the young man.  If he says thanks, but I'm going to stay home, then nothing is lost.  If he shows genuine interest, then follow up with intensified recruiting.  We put out hundreds of offers, but will only concentrate on a limited number of those in the end.  You can't win a recruit if you don't offer, that is for certain.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Cinco de Hogo

I would be fine if we offered every single high quality player in America and beyond that expressed any interest in us, as long as he's not a criminal.  I want people to look and say "oh look he has an offer from Arkansas".   

Vantage 8 dude

I'd prefer to at least take a run at the young man on the outside chance we COULD actually get a commit. Heck, if he's a top notch player you have to at least give it a legitimate effort if we're ever going to compete with the "bigger boys" of the conference. Besides, I believe that old adage that "you miss 100% of the shots you never take" most certainly applies.

Richard Davenport

Foshodo

Quote from: Lanlord on February 16, 2018, 12:02:41 pm
My experience has been whenever a coach has coached his own son he is harder on him and expects more out of him than anyone else on the team.
So what yer saying is that Bobby Allen set the truck on fire...?