Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Kiffin says 75% of being successful in football is recruiting

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 08, 2018, 12:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

redneckfriend

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2018, 12:07:21 pm
and further states that Saban by far best recruiter in college football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLn9gOpO7UI

So Lane Kiffin says the same thing about recruiting that anyone on Hogville with a clear head would say? Maybe were clued in better than we thought.

TrueBlue

I love the attitude of the current staff and hope they will do well on the field.

But I can't help but think that we missed the boat by not hiring Lane. High risk but very high reward.

Hopeful Hog

No that can't be right!! It only matters if the kids you get have heart no matter how unathletic they are and of course putting a fence around a state that puts out maybe a fourth (if that) of the talent that the state to it's immediate left and right under it does. This sound about right hogville?  What, no? Say it ain't so!!! I've been living a lie!!!!!!!

radar

Switzer always said that it was 90% recruiting 10% coaching.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 01:07:21 pm
No that can't be right!! It only matters if the kids you get have heart no matter how unathletic they are and of course putting a fence around a state that puts out maybe a fourth (if that) of the talent that the state to it's immediate left and right under it does. This sound about right hogville?  What, no? Say it ain't so!!! I've been living a lie!!!!!!!
We didn't sign any slouches amigo...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

theFlyingHog

Would you rather have a 6'1" 210 4.45 corner who can't tie his shoes or a 5'11" 190 4.6 corner with brains?

Hoggish1

Hog N Bama

hawgon

Clearly, recruiting must be why Lane took over a team that was 3-9 and made them 11-3 the next year.

Boarcephus

Still not buying he's the greatest collegiate coach, recruiter, etc.  He is great at Bama, was at LSU (both schools that have first dibs at talent), not so much at Michigan State.  I like what Spurrier said about him, if you are to be considered the greatest, then do it a place it's never been done before. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 08, 2018, 03:46:44 pm
We didn't sign any slouches amigo...

Nah that wasn't a knock on most of the kids we signed, it was more a shot at the "stars don't matter" excuse makers around here. I think Morris signed some really solid players actually and if he can close Gerald it'll be an impressive haul all things considered.

liljo

I think Kiffin is right with regards to 75% of coaches. But successful coaching, for some coaches, is a whole lot less about recruiting than player development. Obviously the kids have to be athletic. But let's take two kids, both we'll say are 6'2", 215 pounds, and both run 4.6 40-times consistently. Both bench and squat similar weight amounts as seniors in high school. Both have similar verticals, etc. and both have very similar measurements in all areas. One plays at a major high school with excellent coaches. The other one plays at a small school where the coach also teaches math and drives a bus to supplement his income.

As freshmen, the kid from the big school that had better high school coaching is VERY likely to outperform the kid from the smaller school, who is simply less developed as a player. In the hands of a great staff, by the time these kids are sophomores, things may begin to even out a little. And if the second kid has the "want to", he might even become the better player in time. So much depends upon the will of the kid, AND the skill of the coaches.

But yes, for many coaches, I'm sure recruiting ensures the bulk of their success. We'll have to wait and see, but I have a feeling the coaches we have now are of a different type. I love this mix on this staff. I'll take a well-coached and highly motivated Junior in college who was a 3-star in high school over a 5-star Freshman ALL DAY LONG.

Time will tell.
Go Hogs.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Tusks

How does he explain his school's 3 straight 3-9 records and then an 11-3.  Hoof & mouth.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: tusked on February 08, 2018, 04:59:02 pm
How does he explain his school's 3 straight 3-9 records and then an 11-3.  Hoof & mouth.

Hoof and mouth? Umm ok? It can be explained as he's a really good offensive coach who played what amounts to a bunch of high school teams. Pretty much common sense really. You can't just be a good coach with some really good ole boys who will try real hard and win at this level though. You need great athletes (not 2 or 3* coach em up types) and at least a decent coach.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 08, 2018, 03:54:23 pm
Would you rather have a 6'1" 210 4.45 corner who can't tie his shoes or a 5'11" 190 4.6 corner with brains?
Is this a trick question? Can you re-do it and make the speed differential greater?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2018, 04:18:40 pm
Still not buying he's the greatest collegiate coach, recruiter, etc.  He is great at Bama, was at LSU (both schools that have first dibs at talent), not so much at Michigan State.  I like what Spurrier said about him, if you are to be considered the greatest, then do it a place it's never been done before.
Well, he did win 10 games one year at Mich St and went to Citrus Bowl.
Clearly Mich St doesn't have the same fertile grounds as LSU and Alabama.
Saban would be the first to tell you the reason he went to LSU was he noticed how many players in the NFL were from Louisiana. Saw a real opportunity there.

I don't have any issues with saying Saban is the best. Only talent plus coaching enables 6 national titles. Gotta have both, not one or the other. He recruits great and coaches great

So he had 'success' at Mich St which is kinda like Arkansas in that it's not the easiest place to win. Plus even at Bama and LSU those programs weren't setting the world on fire prior to his arrival. Bama is always good, but nowhere near the levels now. Plus LSU went 2-9 in 1999 before he arrived. Succeeding anywhere is no guarantee.

Yep...he's the best. Maybe Urban Meyer second.

26.2Hog

Because of major violations under coach George Pearles, Michigan State was placed on four years probation with the loss of nine scholarships.  That is what Saban inherited from Pearles.

After the four years of sanctions and scholarship losses were over, Saban took them to a 9-2 record and finished 7th in the final AP poll.

Even if you don't believe Saban is the GOAT, he still did an excellent job at Michigan State.

The Hogfather

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 08, 2018, 01:03:31 pm
I love the attitude of the current staff and hope they will do well on the field.

But I can't help but think that we missed the boat by not hiring Lane. High risk but very high reward.

For sure. However, I do think this staff will do well.

kennypig

I believe that. Last summer I ranked teams for the upcoming year based on nothing but recruiting rankings for the four preceding years. This is the list I come up with, and how they finished.

predictions for 2017
EAST
GA, FL or TN, SC, KY, Mizz, Vandy
FINISHED: GA, SC, KY, Mizz, FL, Vandy, TN.     

WEST
AL, LSU or AU, TA&M, ARK, OM or MS ST
FINISHED: AU, AL, LSU, MS ST, TA&M, OM, ARK.

GA finished as expected and the coach got coach of the year.
FL, TN, TA&M, and ARK finished below what I had them finishing, and you know what happened to their coaches.

Hogtimes

Yep....that is why many consider Bill Snyder the greatest.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 08, 2018, 06:55:58 pm
Yep...he's the best. Maybe Urban Meyer second.

One area where I will admit Saban is the best is talent evaluation and how it fits to his system.  Towards the end of Bobby Bowden's career he was under fire for having all these nationally top ranked recruiting classes that didn't translate to nationally top ranked teams.  He just came out and said they did a poor job in evaluating how this talent and player personalities would fit into their system.  Saban, on the other hand, doesn't swing and miss very often. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Stu

Quote from: tusked on February 08, 2018, 04:59:02 pm
His predecessor, Coach Partridge, was a better recruiter than coach, apparently.   Partridge was arguably Bielemas best recruiter.

hawgwash

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 08, 2018, 01:03:31 pm

We went the high risk, high reward route once before.  Got some high rewards, but ended up with the high risk.  Having gone through that may make it a hard sell to try that road again.

Flrazrback

Players make plays.. As Lane stated.. That's what won the game.  Sabans recruiting stats speak for themselves, consistently in the high ranks.

TexHog188

It's all coach speak.  What percentage of wins/loses should we attribute to scheduling?  There are other factors involved.  Yes players matter, but great players with bad coaching will lose to inferior players and great coaching. Mack Brown/Mark Richt/Bob Stoops all had great players, but often lost to inferior teams.  Then you see teams like Boise St, with average players and a very good coach (Peterson) beat much better (by recruiting standards) teams with also very good to great coaches.

My point is that I think coaching and player development is underrepresented in the 75/25 ratio, and that you can not ignore scheduling and level of competition when looking at wins/losses/success.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

sickboy

100% of pontificating valid statistics is waking up in the morning.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 06:05:32 pm
Hoof and mouth? Umm ok? It can be explained as he's a really good offensive coach who played what amounts to a bunch of high school teams. Pretty much common sense really. You can't just be a good coach with some really good ole boys who will try real hard and win at this level though. You need great athletes (not 2 or 3* coach em up types) and at least a decent coach.

I really believe that Lane grew up while on Saban's staff and He doing great where he is at.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2018, 06:14:48 pm
His Daddy?
well, his daddy was a coach on one if Arkansas's greatest teams ever, but I doubt that Lane was ever cognizant of that....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

nwahogfan1

Totally agree.  Maybe more than 75% but at least that amount.  Sabin is winning because of his constant recruiting players who can win in the SEC and nationally.

But the 25% is important also.  Play calling, player motivation and all the other stuff that coaches can do helps but first you have to have the STUDS.

Oliver

If those percentages were accurate, Mack Brown would still be the coach at Texas today.  And he certainly would have never had a 5 win season.

Gonzo

Considering the time span of his run at Bama, at least a semblance of a playoff system, and scholarship limits that weren't in place when The Bear was coaching, it could be argued Saban is doing something that has never been done there, or anywhere, including anywhere the Visor coached, before.

Is he the G.O.A.T.? Maybe, maybe not, but he is certainly in in the discussion imo.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

As to the OP,

football is 2/3 physical..........and the other 2/3 is mental!

Go Hogs!

johnfanman

Its about finding the diamond in the rough and kids that are all about the helmet. Recruiting stars don't mean anything. Recruit the helmet and coach'em up! The Hogville motto.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

kennypig

Great recruiting didn't help save the jobs of Jim McElwain at FL or Butch Jones at TN. Turns out they can't coach big time football.