Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In depth breakdown of 2018 commits

Started by bennyl08, February 04, 2018, 12:55:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

February 04, 2018, 12:55:05 am Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:43:15 pm by bennyl08
*Note, to be edited as any new commit or if somebody flips.

Conner Noland
: 6'2-3", 195-205 pounds depending on who you ask, 4*, QB
Offers: aTm, Mizz, UCLA, PSU, OM, UNC, UK, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4002954/Connor-Noland
Verified numbers: 6'2 195 (old-ish), 4.3s shuttle, 28" vert, 30 powerball

Comments: In short, think Brandon Allen. Very agile, able to make would-be sackers miss in the open field. Quick release though a hair slower than BA's. Also, not quite a vertical, over the top delivery, but not too far to the side either. NFL could nitpick at that, but shouldn't be an issue. Very good thrower on the run able to accurately place the ball tens of yards downfield while on the move. No verified 40 time, but from his highlights, again, I'd say similar to BA, somewhere in the 4.7's.

Noah Gatlin: 6'7 300-305, 3*, OT
Offers: UVa, TTU, Miss St, ASU, Ark St, AF, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4825439/Noah-Gatlin
Numbers: Unverified, but 5.1 40 dash, 4.68 shuttle, 26" vert, 45 powerball, 325 bench max, 15 reps at 185, 325 squat and 235 clean

Comments: Not a whole lot to say given the highlights. Don't see a lot plays against anybody of any real caliber. He's strong enough to pancake with just one arm against HS competition but that doesn't mean much for the SEC. The one real take away is that he has a lot of experience of blocking in space. Seems like over half the plays involved him as a pulling tackle on quick plays to the outside. One play the guy he was supposed to block was lined up well of the line. Gatlin sprints and dives to get just enough of a block to spring the play, but he gets there. Judging by the numbers listed, if correct, suggests that he's currently a bit top heavy when it comes to muscle with his bench being as big as his squat which is common for younger players.

Michael Woods: 6'1-6'2 180-188, 3*, WR/FS
Offers: SMU, CSU, Ind, Hou, NW, Minn, TTU, Vandy, UVa, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3368621/Michael-Woods
Numbers: Verified, 4.76 forty, 4.44 shuttle, 34.7 vert, 32.5 powerball, 6'2 188

Comments: Guy that Morris brought from SMU. Off the top of my head, would be by far the slowest receiver we've had in the group. People complained that Hatcher was slow, but Hatcher was a full tenth of a second faster. That said, the play of Woods has some similarities to Hatcher. Looked up Horton's forty time, still sub 4.70. Anyways, Woods likes to hit and block as a WR and can high point the ball and outjump HS level DB's to get the ball. Given his physicality, it's possible he moves to defense instead of playing WR, but again, unless he's playing in the front 7, a 4.76 forty is going to be liability in the secondary. Could be a good screen blocker for quicker receivers as well as a RZ threat.

Silas Robinson: 6'4-6'5 285-300, 3*, OT
Offers: UVa, SMU, army, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/6318095/Silas-Robinson
Numbers: Verified, 6'5 300, 5.75 forty dash, 4.94 shuttle, 23.4 vert, 34 powerball

Comments: He's aggressive, I'll give him that. Another guy Morris is bringing from SMU. Even in the highlight tape, you'll see him whiff on blocks from quicker defenders before looking for somebody else to try and hit. You often see him diving to make blocks. However, in contrast to Gatlin, he's diving on what at least appears to be otherwise normal blocking plays. Not him being a pulling tackle trying to get to somebody in space. While going off your feet in a pancake block is fine, he often loses his footing in his highlights without the pancake as well.

Rakeem Boyd: 5'11 200, 3*, RB
Offers: Colorado is his only other offer

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/10491476/Rakeem-Boyd
Numbers: *Verified, but from when he was a HS recruit, he's now a JUCO, 5'11 200, 4.59 forty, 4.47 shuttle, 33" vert, 38 powerball

Comments: Unlike a lot of HS backs, he likes to get N-S and pick up positive yards sooner rather than later which is very good. He lacks that top end gear (he outruns several JUCO guys, but watch him in the open field compared to somebody like Collins and yeah, he's not a 4.4 type back). Style wise, he is a lot of JWill, but thinner. N-S runner who has a underrated juke and can deliver power.

Ryan Winkle: 6'6 280-286, 3*, OT
Offers: Miss St, Neb, Tenn, UCF, UVa, lot of smaller school offers

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4668130/Ryan-Winkel
Numbers: n/a

Comments: Might be my favorite of the OL in this class. Smooth accurately describes his playing style. He throws his defender to the ground while staying on his feet, able to find somebody else to block if needed. Rarely do you see him on the ground, and at least in his highlights, only when he's pancaking which again, majority of those he stays on his feet. Don't see him on open space too often so can't comment on that aspect, but his is very explosive. You often see him trap block, exploding to the center's position and obliterating the target. These plays are the ones he most often falls on top of his block if he does fall.

John Stephen Jones: 5'10 175-185, 3* QB
Offers: Kansas, SMU, TTU

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6297804/John-Stehpen-Jones

Comments: Very accurate with the ball. Always seems to hit the receiver in stride with the exceptions being purposeful placement to avoid defenders. Arm speed is solid. Not particularly great, but not a liability either. Footwork is decent, better than most coming out of HS. Top end speed looks to be about the same as Noland's but he's very slippery to tackle. Really needs to add some weight though, at least getting to ~200 pounds.

Bumper Pool: 6'3 213-217, 4*, LB
Offers: Bama, Zona, Mich, LSU, USC, aTm, TCU, OkSt, Maryland, SMU

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3918167/Bumper-Pool
Numbers: Verified, 5.01 forty dash (not a typo), 4.25 shuttle, 31.4" vert, 38 powerball

Comments: Anybody have any extra info on his forty time? He has offers from everybody, but that's a crazy slow forty for a LBer. Especially given that shuttle time. Did he pull a hamstring and run anyways type of thing, but that offer list and shuttle time don't match with the forty time. Much less his actual tape. Speaking of, don't see a lot of coverage plays for him. Though, you do see a nice couple of interceptions from him. Overall, he's very quick with excellent first few steps and seems to have good speed as well. He gets into the backfield making impact plays. Doesn't hit super hard, instead, wrapping up and making the sure tackle, squaring up. Bit small for a MLB, but hopefully he can add some mass without losing speed or explosion.

Isaiah Nichols: 6'3-4 265-275, 3*, DE
Offers: Miss St, Mizz, UCF, KSU, Ind, ISU

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/5355492/Isaiah-Nichols

Comments: Doesn't appear to have great speed, but is very strong, very quick, long arms and he knows how to use them well. Two DE's we had that ran slow forties but had those other qualities will be starting in the superbowl tomorrow. You see him fight his way through double teams on strength or use his quickness to spit the difference and get into the backfield. Watch him play and you really see how much of an asset his arms are. He can reach for a tackle when still being blocked. He can fight off the hands of attempting blockers to keep himself free.

LaDarrius Bishop: 6' 189, 4*, CB
Offers: Miss St, UF, Baylor, ISU, Ok St, Perdue, Mem, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/5323102/Ladarrius-Bishop

Comments: Very good athlete. No surprise that UF who has an argument to make for DBU offered him. Good size, and arguably our fastest commit. Very similar to Mason, but with better hands. This guy is an impact playmaker on defense who could easily play on offense as well.

Nick Fulwider: 6'6-7 241-260, 3*, DE
Offers: Wiscy, UVa, Vandy, Tenner, Rutg, OM, Purdue, Miss St, NCSt, MSU, Md, ISU, Ind, ECU, UNC, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4850907/Nick-Fulwider
Numbers: Unverified, 6'7 230, 245 bench, 405 squat, 225 deadlift, 245 clean. (surely that's a typo on the deadlift?)

Comments: Don't see a ton of speed in his game, but he is a very strong, at least compared to his competition. Biggest things you see watching his tape (other than Fulwider himself who is huge) is his strength and long arms to go with that 6'6 frame. Could also see him developing into an OL player.

Billy Ferrel: 6'2-3 331, 4*, DT
Offers: Bama, CSU, Mem, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6188103/Billy-Ferrell
Numbers: Verified, 6'3 331, 5.31 forty dash, 4.84 shuttle, 24.1" vert, 40 powerball

Comments: This guy is a bad man and one of my favorite recruits in this class. Want to see his strength, watch his plays at DT where he'll play here. However, is this guy just a strongman and not much else? Watch the big man carry the ball as a RB in HS. He can make guys miss while weighing over 300 pounds. Insane. Then, watch him play a few snaps at TE. Catches a pretty fast pass one handed in the endzone for a td. Could definitely see using him in a goal line situation at FB, being a threat to go out for a pass, carry the ball himself, or plow a hole for the back.

Myles Mason: 6'2 196-205, 4*, S
Offers: Bama, Aub, FSU, Lou, Tenner, Miss St, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4371268/Myles-Mason
Numbers: Unverified, 4.4 forty, 310 bench, 495 squat, 265 clean

Comments: Good reason everybody has offered this guy. Very good athlete. Don't think he'll run sub 4.40 but probably mid range 4.4's, low 4.5's at worst. Seems to drop some potential interceptions which you'd like him to come down with, but really, that's about the worst thing I have to say. You see him get the arm in to break up passes, has good speed, size, and power. Could genuinely start at RB or S in the SEC.

Courtre Alexander: 6'4-5 235-260, 3*, DE
Offers: Tx, Mem, Tulsa, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/8230787/Courtre-Alexander

Comments: This is what you look for in a 3-4 OLB. Smooth, fluid, loose hips. Can cover in space, rush the passer, take on blockers, etc... If he has a good career here as a hand in the dirt DE, don't be surprised to see teams ask him to test at the senior bowl/combine standing up as a LB. He is strong, strings out plays well, and has good explosion. Think Jamario Bell type player.

Andrew Parker: 6'1-2 220-225, 3*, LB
Offers: Tex, TCU, aTm, , small school others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6462629/Andrew-Parker
Numbers: Unverified, 6'2 230, 4.57 forty, 4.41 shuttle, 34" vert, 290 bench, 20 reps @185 bench

Comments: He's a hitter. Watch him play and he loos a little wild. Not terribly smooth or refined in motions, more like a madman who wants to hit hard. He'll need to clean up a bit, but if he actually runs a 4.57 at the mid 220's range, then once that happens, he could be a future Spaight-like player. Got speed, power, and likes to hit.

Joseph Foucha: 5'11 194 pounds, 3*, S
Offers: OM, Bama, Zona, Aub, Baylor, FSU, LSU, Michigan, Miss St, Okla, Oregon, OSU, TCU, Tenner, aTm, UCLA, Vandy, VT,

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3977090/JOSEPH-FOUCHA
Numbers: Verified, 5'11 194, 4.41 shuttle, 29.1" vert, 31 powerball

Comments: About the only negative I have to say is that it's clear he's going against really terrible teams. However, you see him some of everything in his highlights. Want to see a ball hawking safety that can high point interceptions or catch the tipped balls? Check. Want to see a head hunter at safety that can knock the ball free with a heavy hit and closing speed? Check. Want to see a safety who can line up like a CB and swat the ball away in tight, man coverage? Check. Want to see a safety that can line up in the box and penetrate into the backfield or just support the run game? Check. I can't think of a single skill you could ever want to see from a safety that you don't see him do, multiple times, in his video. I mean, just check out that offer list, it speaks for itself. Only hesitation I have is that the other teams looked really, really bad. However, that offer list shows that plenty of people think he'll translate and I see no reason to think otherwise.

Dorian Gerald
: 6'3 250-260, 4*, DE
Offers: aTm, Florida, Lou, Tenner, Bama, Zona, ASU, FSU, UGA, LSU, Mia, Neb, Okla, Oregon, OM, SC, TTU, WSU, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/3198388/Dorian-Gerald
Numbers: N/a

Comments: Whoo wee. I was talking before about there not being any studs in the front 7. Now there is. This guy is fast. And I'm not just talking explosive, but has top end speed as well as being explosive. Further, he doesn't appear to be a one trick pony as you see him fight through double teams and simply bull rush the OL player, and while these highlights aren't against SEC level players, JUCO players are a tier above the average player at even the best HS's. So, him dominating these guys like that doesn't guarantee he'll be able to do the same here, but is a lot closer than if a HS player was doing the same. Now, it's not a review without at least something negative. With Gerald, that's technique. He probably has never needed to worry about it too much since his speed and strength are good enough. However, compare his tape to Nichols and you'll see what I'm saying. Gerald will need to get better with the swim move and and a spin move and such to his game as you can't succeed with only a speed rush or a bull rush. However, that's a pretty straightforward correction and something that applies to a lot of players. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Al Boarland

Lot of 3 stars. It's good to see most have a Miss St offer. They recruit similar to us and do a decent job of finding players.

redleg

There is no way some of these 40 times are correct. I've seen Pool run down RBs and cover TEs, so there is no way he is that slow.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hawgsawjimdugan

Dang.  Nice work putting this together, benny. 

Interesting to see that only Gatlin can bench over 3hundy. Fulwilder's bench and clean are headscrathers. His numbers don't match his offers. Maybe ol' Bumper tripped and fell during his 40? Regardless, that dude has a nose for the ball.

Pumped for this class, but out of the gate, the available numbers overall seem to indicate we are slow and weak.  Coach Tru has his work cut out for him, and I'm optimistic about what he can do.

tophawg19

Conner has a better Arm than than BA had at the same time . Otherwise a similar skill set
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

East TN HAWG

rzrbk4life

Awesome post benny. This is why I love hogville so much
Let's call those hogs!!!!

greenie

Very good post, benny.  Thanks for the effort.

Porkys Revenge

What do you think about Treveon Johnson? I think he starts from day 1 if he comes here.

hamhocks

Tejano Jawg

Great thread B-b-b-benny. Please update as they happen. One more reason to skip the Jump Ball forum.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bennyl08

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 04, 2018, 11:16:53 am
What do you think about Treveon Johnson? I think he starts from day 1 if he comes here.

No idea about him. I used to follow recruiting a bit more, but past several years I tend to just wait and see which fish we land.

With the vast number of HS players out there, and the limited usefulness of watching their highlights, I find it just isn't quite worth it.

That said, I checked out his highlights, dude is a baller for sure. Unverified, but listed at 4.37. Don't know about that, but he is very fast. His tape looks sped up, but I feel like I was looking at the background people as much as him and unless they were moving in slow motion, he probably is really fast. He also plays tough as well. Reminds me of an Odell Beckham Jr like player.

Can't say that I'd bet he starts from day 1 though. Namely due to the quality of players that we currently have. He'd have to beat out the likes of Cornelius who in 2016 was the most productive receiver when in the slot position in the entire country. Nance had the highest qb rating when being thrown to through the first 6 games and ended up as one of the top 5 receivers in the SEC. Throw in Martin and Jones who have tapes and speed just as impressive as Treveon's along with actual collegiate experience and that's before getting to guys like Stewart, Pettway, Warren, Barnes, Cross, Jackson, etc...

He absolutely does have the potential to start from day one, but the key word there is potential. Guys like Cornelius, Jones, and Martin have a ceiling every bit as high as Johnson's and a head start too. So him beating them out would mean them not realizing their potential.

I think it's key not to judge our talent based on in game production last year. That was a case of a lost lockerroom. Not claiming we win the natty this coming season, but see Auburn's 2012 vs 2013 season. 3-9 to 13-1 in a single season. They didn't jump 12 wins because of new players. We could jump to 9 wins next season and my surprise level would be at a 3/10, and only surprised that the coach was able to adapt so quickly.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

DeltaBoy

Maybe we will see a return of the Bermuda Triangle that we had a few years ago on D.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 08, 2018, 04:54:45 pm
Added the latest two prospects.
Great job, Benny. I appreciate how you label the 4* guys properly. You know you can add a star to Big Billy, too, if you want to.
247SPORTS  **** 90
NATL. RK 336
DT RK 28
AR RK 2
https://247sports.com/Player/Billy-Ferrell-93508
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 09, 2018, 11:47:08 am
Great job, Benny. I appreciate how you label the 4* guys properly. You know you can add a star to Big Billy, too, if you want to.
247SPORTS  **** 90
NATL. RK 336
DT RK 28
AR RK 2
https://247sports.com/Player/Billy-Ferrell-93508

Thanks, I didn't see that. I forget that 247 has their own ranking sometimes. Wish they would advertise that a bit more and have the composite be a secondary thing as opposed to the other way around. Fixed.

bennyl08

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 09, 2018, 11:41:36 am
Maybe we will see a return of the Bermuda Triangle that we had a few years ago on D.

Not sure any of these defensive recruits will get us there. By far our biggest studs on defense in this class are all in the secondary. With Foucha, Mason, Bishop, Curtis, Brown, Curl, and Calloway, we haven't a seen a secondary like what we will have in a couple years in at least 30 years.

The LB's have some promise, but don't see anybody of the caliber of Harris here. We have guys who can be very good, but nothing different from what we've seen with guys like Fisher, Richardson, Jean-Babtiste, etc...

As for the DL, I like the length we are getting here. However, while I like Ferrell, nobody is here looks particularly better than guys like TJ Smith, J. Marshall, or Guidry did coming here. That's not to say I don't think they'll do well here. I think Smith, Marshall, and Guidry can become very good and possibly great players here as well. Just that I don't see the new guys coming in and providing anything we don't already have physically. If they come in and play better, then it would be between the ears that they have the advantage which doesn't show up very well on HS highlights.

Hawgphat

Thanks, benny.  Your cameos are much appreciated.  It's gratifying to note that you're motivated by more than just political interests.

Keep up the good work, please.

;D

SooieGeneris

That took some effort, thanks. The only thing I would quibble with is a couple of the 40 times. I have seen tape of Pool, Boyd and Woods and I don't think those times are correct.

A LB with that slow time would not have his offer list. Some guys through instincts and film study can make up for their time. For instance, I looked up Spaight's 40 time from the combine and it was actually slower than that of Brooks Ellis.

As we all noticed, though, Spaight played way faster of the two. Still, I doubt that time for Pool as he seemed to run better than average at a high level of TX HS football.

As for Woods, he looked consistently faster than the opposition in his tape, didn't get caught from behind. He is a very tenacious blocker, nasty really and WR coach Steppe has been recruiting him for 2-3 years.

I saw Boyd break a 90+ yard run on his tape and he was leaving people in the dust. That was JC not HS, also.

Otherwise, I agree with most of your analysis, good job overall.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

bennyl08

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 09, 2018, 06:41:55 pm
That took some effort, thanks. The only thing I would quibble with is a couple of the 40 times. I have seen tape of Pool, Boyd and Woods and I don't think those times are correct.

A LB with that slow time would not have his offer list. Some guys through instincts and film study can make up for their time. For instance, I looked up Spaight's 40 time from the combine and it was actually slower than that of Brooks Ellis.

As we all noticed, though, Spaight played way faster of the two. Still, I doubt that time for Pool as he seemed to run better than average at a high level of TX HS football.

As for Woods, he looked consistently faster than the opposition in his tape, didn't get caught from behind. He is a very tenacious blocker, nasty really and WR coach Steppe has been recruiting him for 2-3 years.

I saw Boyd break a 90+ yard run on his tape and he was leaving people in the dust. That was JC not HS, also.

Otherwise, I agree with most of your analysis, good job overall.

I think he must have had a flu or a pulled hamstring or something when Poole ran that forty. However, that was an official time, electronically timed forty at a national combine.

Woods and Boyd seem to be on par with the tape though. Watch Boyd and then watch Alex Collins tape. You can run a 4.8 and blow people away and not get tackled from behind at the JUCO and HS level. The trick is you can't watch the other players when trying to guess speed from tape. Watch the player in relation to the field. That way, doesn't matter if you are watching NFL, college, JUCO, or HS tape, 5 yards is 5 yards is 5 yards. See how quickly they move relative to that constant ruler and you can get a decent sense of their speed. Woods doesn't look any faster than Hatcher or Morgan who ran in the 4.6's. Also, Morgan didn't become a full tenth faster b/w combine and pro day, he just learned better technique. Woods looks to be somewhere similar.

pghawg1

Instead of looking at the star rankings look at who offered theses players that is impressive.

Earth Hog Fan

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 04, 2018, 12:55:05 am
*Note, to be edited as any new commit or if somebody flips.

Conner Noland
: 6'2-3", 195-205 pounds depending on who you ask, 4*, QB
Offers: aTm, Mizz, UCLA, PSU, OM, UNC, UK, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4002954/Connor-Noland
Verified numbers: 6'2 195 (old-ish), 4.3s shuttle, 28" vert, 30 powerball

Comments: In short, think Brandon Allen. Very agile, able to make would-be sackers miss in the open field. Quick release though a hair slower than BA's. Also, not quite a vertical, over the top delivery, but not too far to the side either. NFL could nitpick at that, but shouldn't be an issue. Very good thrower on the run able to accurately place the ball tens of yards downfield while on the move. No verified 40 time, but from his highlights, again, I'd say similar to BA, somewhere in the 4.7's.

Noah Gatlin: 6'7 300-305, 3*, OT
Offers: UVa, TTU, Miss St, ASU, Ark St, AF, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4825439/Noah-Gatlin
Numbers: Unverified, but 5.1 40 dash, 4.68 shuttle, 26" vert, 45 powerball, 325 bench max, 15 reps at 185, 325 squat and 235 clean

Comments: Not a whole lot to say given the highlights. Don't see a lot plays against anybody of any real caliber. He's strong enough to pancake with just one arm against HS competition but that doesn't mean much for the SEC. The one real take away is that he has a lot of experience of blocking in space. Seems like over half the plays involved him as a pulling tackle on quick plays to the outside. One play the guy he was supposed to block was lined up well of the line. Gatlin sprints and dives to get just enough of a block to spring the play, but he gets there. Judging by the numbers listed, if correct, suggests that he's currently a bit top heavy when it comes to muscle with his bench being as big as his squat which is common for younger players.

Michael Woods: 6'1-6'2 180-188, 3*, WR/FS
Offers: SMU, CSU, Ind, Hou, NW, Minn, TTU, Vandy, UVa, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3368621/Michael-Woods
Numbers: Verified, 4.76 forty, 4.44 shuttle, 34.7 vert, 32.5 powerball, 6'2 188

Comments: Guy that Morris brought from SMU. Off the top of my head, would be by far the slowest receiver we've had in the group. People complained that Hatcher was slow, but Hatcher was a full tenth of a second faster. That said, the play of Woods has some similarities to Hatcher. Looked up Horton's forty time, still sub 4.70. Anyways, Woods likes to hit and block as a WR and can high point the ball and outjump HS level DB's to get the ball. Given his physicality, it's possible he moves to defense instead of playing WR, but again, unless he's playing in the front 7, a 4.76 forty is going to be liability in the secondary. Could be a good screen blocker for quicker receivers as well as a RZ threat.

Silas Robinson: 6'4-6'5 285-300, 3*, OT
Offers: UVa, SMU, army, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/6318095/Silas-Robinson
Numbers: Verified, 6'5 300, 5.75 forty dash, 4.94 shuttle, 23.4 vert, 34 powerball

Comments: He's aggressive, I'll give him that. Another guy Morris is bringing from SMU. Even in the highlight tape, you'll see him whiff on blocks from quicker defenders before looking for somebody else to try and hit. You often see him diving to make blocks. However, in contrast to Gatlin, he's diving on what at least appears to be otherwise normal blocking plays. Not him being a pulling tackle trying to get to somebody in space. While going off your feet in a pancake block is fine, he often loses his footing in his highlights without the pancake as well.

Rakeem Boyd: 5'11 200, 3*, RB
Offers: Colorado is his only other offer

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/10491476/Rakeem-Boyd
Numbers: *Verified, but from when he was a HS recruit, he's now a JUCO, 5'11 200, 4.59 forty, 4.47 shuttle, 33" vert, 38 powerball

Comments: Unlike a lot of HS backs, he likes to get N-S and pick up positive yards sooner rather than later which is very good. He lacks that top end gear (he outruns several JUCO guys, but watch him in the open field compared to somebody like Collins and yeah, he's not a 4.4 type back). Style wise, he is a lot of JWill, but thinner. N-S runner who has a underrated juke and can deliver power.

Ryan Winkle: 6'6 280-286, 3*, OT
Offers: Miss St, Neb, Tenn, UCF, UVa, lot of smaller school offers

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4668130/Ryan-Winkel

Comments: Might be my favorite of the OL in this class. Smooth accurately describes his playing style. He throws his defender to the ground while staying on his feet, able to find somebody else to block if needed. Rarely do you see him on the ground, and at least in his highlights, only when he's pancaking which again, majority of those he stays on his feet. Don't see him on open space too often so can't comment on that aspect, but his is very explosive. You often see him trap block, exploding to the center's position and obliterating the target. These plays are the ones he most often falls on top of his block if he does fall.

John Stephen Jones: 5'10 175-185, 3* QB
Offers: Kansas, SMU, TTU

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6297804/John-Stehpen-Jones

Comments: Very accurate with the ball. Always seems to hit the receiver in stride with the exceptions being purposeful placement to avoid defenders. Arm speed is solid. Not particularly great, but not a liability either. Footwork is decent, better than most coming out of HS. Top end speed looks to be about the same as Noland's but he's very slippery to tackle. Really needs to add some weight though, at least getting to ~200 pounds.

Bumper Pool: 6'3 213-217, 4*, LB
Offers: Bama, Zona, Mich, LSU, USC, aTm, TCU, OkSt, Maryland, SMU

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3918167/Bumper-Pool
Numbers: Verified, 5.01 forty dash (not a typo), 4.25 shuttle, 31.4" vert, 38 powerball

Comments: Anybody have any extra info on his forty time? He has offers from everybody, but that's a crazy slow forty for a LBer. Especially given that shuttle time. Did he pull a hamstring and run anyways type of thing, but that offer list and shuttle time don't match with the forty time. Much less his actual tape. Speaking of, don't see a lot of coverage plays for him. Though, you do see a nice couple of interceptions from him. Overall, he's very quick with excellent first few steps and seems to have good speed as well. He gets into the backfield making impact plays. Doesn't hit super hard, instead, wrapping up and making the sure tackle, squaring up. Bit small for a MLB, but hopefully he can add some mass without losing speed or explosion.

Isaiah Nichols: 6'3-4 265-275, 3*, DE
Offers: Miss St, Mizz, UCF, KSU, Ind, ISU

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/5355492/Isaiah-Nichols

Comments: Doesn't appear to have great speed, but is very strong, very quick, long arms and he knows how to use them well. Two DE's we had that ran slow forties but had those other qualities will be starting in the superbowl tomorrow. You see him fight his way through double teams on strength or use his quickness to spit the difference and get into the backfield. Watch him play and you really see how much of an asset his arms are. He can reach for a tackle when still being blocked. He can fight off the hands of attempting blockers to keep himself free.

LaDarrius Bishop: 6' 189, 4*, CB
Offers: Miss St, UF, Baylor, ISU, Ok St, Perdue, Mem, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/5323102/Ladarrius-Bishop

Comments: Very good athlete. No surprise that UF who has an argument to make for DBU offered him. Good size, and arguably our fastest commit. Very similar to Mason, but with better hands. This guy is an impact playmaker on defense who could easily play on offense as well.

Nick Fulwider: 6'6-7 241-260, 3*, DE
Offers: Wiscy, UVa, Vandy, Tenner, Rutg, OM, Purdue, Miss St, NCSt, MSU, Md, ISU, Ind, ECU, UNC, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4850907/Nick-Fulwider
Numbers: Unverified, 6'7 230, 245 bench, 405 squat, 225 deadlift, 245 clean. (surely that's a typo on the deadlift?)

Comments: Don't see a ton of speed in his game, but he is a very strong, at least compared to his competition. Biggest things you see watching his tape (other than Fulwider himself who is huge) is his strength and long arms to go with that 6'6 frame. Could also see him developing into an OL player.

Billy Ferrel: 6'2-3 331, 4*, DT
Offers: Bama, CSU, Mem, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6188103/Billy-Ferrell
Numbers: Verified, 6'3 331, 5.31 forty dash, 4.84 shuttle, 24.1" vert, 40 powerball

Comments: This guy is a bad man and one of my favorite recruits in this class. Want to see his strength, watch his plays at DT where he'll play here. However, is this guy just a strongman and not much else? Watch the big man carry the ball as a RB in HS. He can make guys miss while weighing over 300 pounds. Insane. Then, watch him play a few snaps at TE. Catches a pretty fast pass one handed in the endzone for a td. Could definitely see using him in a goal line situation at FB, being a threat to go out for a pass, carry the ball himself, or plow a hole for the back.

Myles Mason: 6'2 196-205, 4*, S
Offers: Bama, Aub, FSU, Lou, Tenner, Miss St, others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4371268/Myles-Mason
Numbers: Unverified, 4.4 forty, 310 bench, 495 squat, 265 clean

Comments: Good reason everybody has offered this guy. Very good athlete. Don't think he'll run sub 4.40 but probably mid range 4.4's, low 4.5's at worst. Seems to drop some potential interceptions which you'd like him to come down with, but really, that's about the worst thing I have to say. You see him get the arm in to break up passes, has good speed, size, and power. Could genuinely start at RB or S in the SEC.

Courtre Alexander: 6'4-5 235-260, 3*, DE
Offers: Tx, Mem, Tulsa, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/8230787/Courtre-Alexander

Comments: This is what you look for in a 3-4 OLB. Smooth, fluid, loose hips. Can cover in space, rush the passer, take on blockers, etc... If he has a good career here as a hand in the dirt DE, don't be surprised to see teams ask him to test at the senior bowl/combine standing up as a LB. He is strong, strings out plays well, and has good explosion. Think Jamario Bell type player.

Andrew Parker: 6'1-2 220-225, 3*, LB
Offers: Tex, TCU, aTm, , small school others

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6462629/Andrew-Parker
Numbers: Unverified, 6'2 230, 4.57 forty, 4.41 shuttle, 34" vert, 290 bench, 20 reps @185 bench

Comments: He's a hitter. Watch him play and he loos a little wild. Not terribly smooth or refined in motions, more like a madman who wants to hit hard. He'll need to clean up a bit, but if he actually runs a 4.57 at the mid 220's range, then once that happens, he could be a future Spaight-like player. Got speed, power, and likes to hit.

Joseph Foucha: 5'11 194 pounds, 3*, S
Offers: OM, Bama, Zona, Aub, Baylor, FSU, LSU, Michigan, Miss St, Okla, Oregon, OSU, TCU, Tenner, aTm, UCLA, Vandy, VT,

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3977090/JOSEPH-FOUCHA
Numbers: Verified, 5'11 194, 4.41 shuttle, 29.1" vert, 31 powerball

Comments: About the only negative I have to say is that it's clear he's going against really terrible teams. However, you see him some of everything in his highlights. Want to see a ball hawking safety that can high point interceptions or catch the tipped balls? Check. Want to see a head hunter at safety that can knock the ball free with a heavy hit and closing speed? Check. Want to see a safety who can line up like a CB and swat the ball away in tight, man coverage? Check. Want to see a safety that can line up in the box and penetrate into the backfield or just support the run game? Check. I can't think of a single skill you could ever want to see from a safety that you don't see him do, multiple times, in his video. I mean, just check out that offer list, it speaks for itself. Only hesitation I have is that the other teams looked really, really bad. However, that offer list shows that plenty of people think he'll translate and I see no reason to think otherwise.

Dorian Gerald
: 6'3 250-260, 4*, DE
Offers: aTm, Florida, Lou, Tenner, Bama, Zona, ASU, FSU, UGA, LSU, Mia, Neb, Okla, Oregon, OM, SC, TTU, WSU, others

Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/3198388/Dorian-Gerald
Numbers: N/a

Comments: Whoo wee. I was talking before about there not being any studs in the front 7. Now there is. This guy is fast. And I'm not just talking explosive, but has top end speed as well as being explosive. Further, he doesn't appear to be a one trick pony as you see him fight through double teams and simply bull rush the OL player, and while these highlights aren't against SEC level players, JUCO players are a tier above the average player at even the best HS's. So, him dominating these guys like that doesn't guarantee he'll be able to do the same here, but is a lot closer than if a HS player was doing the same. Now, it's not a review without at least something negative. With Gerald, that's technique. He probably has never needed to worry about it too much since his speed and strength are good enough. However, compare his tape to Nichols and you'll see what I'm saying. Gerald will need to get better with the swim move and and a spin move and such to his game as you can't succeed with only a speed rush or a bull rush. However, that's a pretty straightforward correction and something that applies to a lot of players.

Benny, this comes from some of RD's articles
Bumper Pool, LB, 6-2, 220, 4.79, Lucas (Lovejoy), Texas
STAR STATUS
RIVALS.COM (****) No. 37 prospect in Texas, No. 14 inside linebacker in the nation
ESPN.COM (***) No. 75 prospect in Texas, No. 17 inside linebacker in the nation
247 SPORTS (****) No. 42 prospect in Texas, No. 16 inside linebacker, No. 331 prospect in the nation
TOM LEMMING (****)
Mike Woods
Video Highlights
Notable Offers: Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Washington State, Houston and Northwestern
   WR   Magnolia, Texas   6-1   188   4.43
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2018, 03:52:37 pm
Thanks, I didn't see that. I forget that 247 has their own ranking sometimes. Wish they would advertise that a bit more and have the composite be a secondary thing as opposed to the other way around. Fixed.
i totally agree. you have to really want to know what 247s actual rating on a guy is to even know.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SooieGeneris

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2018, 06:51:30 pm
I think he must have had a flu or a pulled hamstring or something when Poole ran that forty. However, that was an official time, electronically timed forty at a national combine.

Woods and Boyd seem to be on par with the tape though. Watch Boyd and then watch Alex Collins tape. You can run a 4.8 and blow people away and not get tackled from behind at the JUCO and HS level. The trick is you can't watch the other players when trying to guess speed from tape. Watch the player in relation to the field. That way, doesn't matter if you are watching NFL, college, JUCO, or HS tape, 5 yards is 5 yards is 5 yards. See how quickly they move relative to that constant ruler and you can get a decent sense of their speed. Woods doesn't look any faster than Hatcher or Morgan who ran in the 4.6's. Also, Morgan didn't become a full tenth faster b/w combine and pro day, he just learned better technique. Woods looks to be somewhere similar.

Morgan ran 4.7 something at the combine as I recall, the slowest time by a WR at last year's combine. That was laser timed of course. I like Drew and have watched him for years. Woods would smoke Drew in a race IMO. And he's taller and jumps better. If he turns out to be as good a player as either Morgan or Hatcher, I'll be happy though. In the coaches video, Steppe, the new WR coach, said he considered Woods a 5 star and one of the best WRs in the country.

That would put a lot of pressure on a kid coming out of HS to just blow smoke up our behinds, I think he meant it.

I agree with your assessment of Gerald. I would like to have gotten Mincey and Gerald both, but the only edge Mincey has is 4 years vs 2. Mincey can't rush the passer like this guy..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 04, 2018, 03:00:33 am
Lot of 3 stars. It’s good to see most have a Miss St offer. They recruit similar to us and do a decent job of finding players.
You just described every class Arkansas has signed since they started giving out stars.  Nice to see us haul in a few defensive studs in our first class, albeit a class with limited space.  Pretty good for a DC that "doesn't recruit".
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 09, 2018, 10:15:54 pm
Morgan ran 4.7 something at the combine as I recall, the slowest time by a WR at last year's combine. That was laser timed of course. I like Drew and have watched him for years. Woods would smoke Drew in a race IMO. And he's taller and jumps better. If he turns out to be as good a player as either Morgan or Hatcher, I'll be happy though. In the coaches video, Steppe, the new WR coach, said he considered Woods a 5 star and one of the best WRs in the country.

That would put a lot of pressure on a kid coming out of HS to just blow smoke up our behinds, I think he meant it.

I agree with your assessment of Gerald. I would like to have gotten Mincey and Gerald both, but the only edge Mincey has is 4 years vs 2. Mincey can't rush the passer like this guy..

Don't want to look up that old post, but I remember commenting on Drew Morgan coming out of HS. Said there was nothing particularly exciting about him. He didn't seem to do anything greatly, but didn't see any really glaring faults either. Guy that won't blow you way athletically but is probably solid and dependable.

I wasn't surprised by his forty time at the combine, though some of the plays he made did surprise me. Like, that TD play in OT vs Auburn I think. Most of the time, you watch Morgan and he looks like a 4.6 to 4.7 guy. That play where he raced down the sideline, diving for the goal line? He looked way faster. Maybe because it was only like a 20 yard dash or something, but still. I still think Woods looks like a Morgan/Hatcher type runner on the field. However, like you, even if that is true, not necessarily a bad thing. I'll reiterate my Hatcher-NFL comparison with Anquan Boldin. Thicker guy at 6'1 216. Ran a 4.71 forty at the combine. Not a fast receiver, but very physical an in a one on one situation, he knows the ball is his and will muscle his way for it. Saw a lot of that in Hatcher and see a lot of that from Woods.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2018, 12:19:36 am
Don't want to look up that old post, but I remember commenting on Drew Morgan coming out of HS. Said there was nothing particularly exciting about him. He didn't seem to do anything greatly, but didn't see any really glaring faults either. Guy that won't blow you way athletically but is probably solid and dependable.

I wasn't surprised by his forty time at the combine, though some of the plays he made did surprise me. Like, that TD play in OT vs Auburn I think. Most of the time, you watch Morgan and he looks like a 4.6 to 4.7 guy. That play where he raced down the sideline, diving for the goal line? He looked way faster. Maybe because it was only like a 20 yard dash or something, but still. I still think Woods looks like a Morgan/Hatcher type runner on the field. However, like you, even if that is true, not necessarily a bad thing. I'll reiterate my Hatcher-NFL comparison with Anquan Boldin. Thicker guy at 6'1 216. Ran a 4.71 forty at the combine. Not a fast receiver, but very physical an in a one on one situation, he knows the ball is his and will muscle his way for it. Saw a lot of that in Hatcher and see a lot of that from Woods.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71.  There's more to playing wide receiver than straight line speed. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.