Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gerry Bohanon 2018

Started by Letsroll1200, January 16, 2017, 03:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on May 16, 2017, 08:03:54 am
Did you know who Bohanon was 6 months ago before Bama offered? Because I know I didn't and I'd bet half of this board didn't either.

The sky is falling!!! Or maybe the ground is rising!!!

theshiva

Hopefully Arkansas not putting a full court press on him means that Connor isn't going to go pro in baseball (which was a big topic about a year ago). If he does and we have to scramble for a QB while not getting any of the 2 4 stars in state... Oh boy.

hawginbigd1

I was thinking we were making some ground, but apparently not enough. The staff was in a tough situation here, and I think they could have handled it better, just my personal opinion. I think they got the guy that was at the top of their board.  It's going to hurt to lose him to Aub., or MSU.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: woodrow hog call on May 15, 2017, 05:13:54 pm
I don't think the draft is something to worry about, I think he will be drafted but, I think he is pretty set on being a two sport hog. The money it would probably take to keep him from coming to school, is the kind of money they only throw around to the early rounds, and I don't think he projects that high.

That is of course subject to change if he comes out next spring and has added 5 to 6 MPH to his fast ball, that could bring him into the discussion for an early pick and a large signing bonus, but then you have the sign-ability factor. When a kid is legitimate two sport star it's always a risk drafting them early because of the draw for them to go on to school and give football a try.

Appreciate it. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 10:53:19 am
I was thinking we were making some ground, but apparently not enough. The staff was in a tough situation here, and I think they could have handled it better, just my personal opinion. I think they got the guy that was at the top of their board.  It's going to hurt to lose him to Aub., or MSU.
Well let's wait until the young man actually makes his official decision before we go into ultimate panic mode. Who knows, perhaps all the fretting and wailing/gnashing of teeth may be for naught.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 16, 2017, 11:57:04 am
Well let's wait until the young man actually makes his official decision before we go into ultimate panic mode. Who knows, perhaps all the fretting and wailing/gnashing of teeth may be for naught.

Well, he's committing to MSU, so no reason not to gnash those teeth for those so inclined.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 09:50:01 am
The sky is falling!!! Or maybe the ground is rising!!!

We'll never know.

PorkRinds

Wonder what happens if Mullen finds a job and bounces out of town after next season.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 01:02:08 pm
Wonder what happens if Mullen finds a job and bounces out of town after next season.

Wonder if his new job is in Fayetteville.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Virgil on May 15, 2017, 02:49:22 pm
It surprised me but there are now 7 picks and they are all for MSU.
It may just be theat first dude heard he wasnt going to Bama and HAD heard he wasn't going to Arkansas, so he went w/ Miss State. Gerry may have fell for the Hogs since that dude's info.

The rest are rats following the pied piper.

I am still holding out hope.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 16, 2017, 11:57:04 am
Well I hope you are right and Rice is wrong but I don't think that is happening.

rljjr

Quote from: theshiva on May 16, 2017, 10:12:44 am
Hopefully Arkansas not putting a full court press on him means that Connor isn't going to go pro in baseball (which was a big topic about a year ago). If he does and we have to scramble for a QB while not getting any of the 2 4 stars in state... Oh boy.

Wait, when did anyone say we weren't recruiting him with the intent of bringing him on board?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 16, 2017, 01:23:28 pm
Wonder if his new job is in Fayetteville.  :)

He coming as the QB coach?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 02:58:47 pm
He coming as the QB coach?

I'm sure he'd play a role, like Bobby.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 16, 2017, 02:20:34 pm
It may just be theat first dude heard he wasnt going to Bama and HAD heard he wasn't going to Arkansas, so he went w/ Miss State. Gerry may have fell for the Hogs since that dude's info.

The rest are rats following the pied piper.

I am still holding out hope.

I am all for holding out hope but there ain't even a rope to hold on to here.

southeasthog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 10:53:19 am
Since you don't know "how" the staff handled it besides offering first as an athlete and the later a QB, how could they have handled it better? Not take Nolans commit until Bohanon made his decision?

PorkRinds

My guess is that he bases his decision on what school has the least amount of depth in front of him. We are not that school.  Does MSU have a QB commit for his class? If not, it would be an obvious reason as to why he would  choose them.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 04:23:30 pm
My guess is that he bases his decision on what school has the least amount of depth in front of him. We are not that school.  Does MSU have a QB commit for his class? If not, it would be an obvious reason as to why he would  choose them.

Agreed. And I'm sure Mullen is selling the, I developed Dak Prescott, angle as well. Probably showed Gerry the most love from the jump.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 16, 2017, 05:54:06 pm
Agreed. And I'm sure Mullen is selling the, I developed Dak Prescott, angle as well. Probably showed Gerry the most love from the jump.

He was Tebow's QB coach, too.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: southeasthog on May 16, 2017, 04:15:21 pm
Since you don't know "how" the staff handled it besides offering first as an athlete and the later a QB, how could they have handled it better? Not take Nolans commit until Bohanon made his decision?
I would have offered him as a QB from the start and I would have told both we are wanting to take both of you.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 06:34:41 pm
I would have offered him as a QB from the start and I would have told both we are wanting to take both of you.

You would have offered Bohanon after his sophomore year?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2017, 06:56:41 pm
You would have offered Bohanon after his sophomore year?
Not what I meant talking about when we got on Bohannon, I would have been up front with Noland about it.

One reason is I am not convinced Noland barring injury ever makes a start at QB before he is in the MLB. If he is as good a pitcher as has been reported. I believe he has a 3 year starter in front of him in Cole Kelley. Being a part time player is also going to be problematic

Rocket23

Quote from: Seebs on May 15, 2017, 09:29:40 pm
You .. um ... you should stop coming here.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 16, 2017, 07:11:34 pm
Not what I meant talking about when we got on Bohannon, I would have been up front with Noland about it.

One reason is I am not convinced Noland barring injury ever makes a start at QB before he is in the MLB. If he is as good a pitcher as has been reported. I believe he has a 3 year starter in front of him in Cole Kelley. Being a part time player is also going to be problematic

Obviously they told Noland that they were only going to sign one QB when he committed last summer. I don't think Bohanon was on the radar as a QB then. As to Noland going to MLB, he's good, but he isn't as good as kids we have pitching for the Hogs now, when they were high school Sr's. Noland works in the 87-89 range, good, but not worth the money he's reportedly asking.

NinoHogUNIA

So we just gonna gaze over the elephant in the room?

I mean we had a QB transfer to Alabama St and got drafted.

I dont think his replacement was drafted as a QB.

Guess Grovey will be the last one thats worth remembering.

I really think we will look back and wonder WTH happened and why isnt a 6'4 215 lb Qb built like a warrior from the Kingdom of Kush isnt a hog.

Funny how his comp is brought up but folks got warm and fuzzies for a shot gun qb that played what 3a ball?
BIE

RazorWhacker

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on May 16, 2017, 08:28:08 pm

I really think we will look back and wonder WTH happened and why isnt a 6'4 215 lb Qb built like a warrior from the Kingdom of Kush isnt a hog.

Funny how his comp is brought up but folks got warm and fuzzies for a shot gun qb that played what 3a ball?

You should probably duck.

ricepig

Well, those same teams that offered Bohanon, all offered the 3A QB and wanted his services, correct? Our current system doesn't rely on a running QB, if you wish to debate our offensive style, that's a different forum.

NotSoFastMyFriend

I mean, the real elephant in the room is Connor Noland's athleticism being COMPLETELY discounted in this thread. He owns a 4.3 shuttle. His vertical (28") is right there with what Corey Clement and Leonard Fournette did at the NFL combine (28.5"). He's no slouch.

Noland is 6'2" whereas Bohanon is 6'3". We're not talking about a Ryan Mallett/Dowell Loggains difference here.

Let's not mistake Connor for a DT QB but he was respectable last season with just over 500 yards rushing and 6TD to go with 27 pass TD and 5 INT while splitting time at QB with FCS-signee (UCA) Luke Hales.

Speaking of which, Hales went for about 1000 yards passing with 10 TD and 2 INT to go with over 500yds rushing and 10 TD. Imagine if Noland would have gotten all the snaps. His numbers would be nearly identical to Bohanon.

Feel better?

At the end of the day, the Hogs got their #1 option at QB and GB gets to pick the offense that's right for him. I wish him well. He can go to whichever school he wants. Not many kids have that option. I think he'll be a great QB in a running spread offense.

Sometimes there are no losers, only winners. This seems to be one of those times.

Snortingred1

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on May 16, 2017, 05:54:06 pm

In all fairness, it is a pretty nice selling point.  Dak is tearing it up.  We won last season, but Fitzgerald could come along as well.

RaisinHog

Who cares he plays 2a football in Arkansas it will take years for him to adjust to SEC level ..

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on May 16, 2017, 09:40:09 pm
I mean, the real elephant in the room is Connor Noland's athleticism being COMPLETELY discounted in this thread. He owns a 4.3 shuttle. His vertical (28") is right there with what Corey Clement and Leonard Fournette did at the NFL combine (28.5"). He's no slouch.

Noland is 6'2" whereas Bohanon is 6'3". We're not talking about a Ryan Mallett/Dowell Loggains difference here.

Let's not mistake Connor for a DT QB but he was respectable last season with just over 500 yards rushing and 6TD to go with 27 pass TD and 5 INT while splitting time at QB with FCS-signee (UCA) Luke Hales.

Speaking of which, Hales went for about 1000 yards passing with 10 TD and 2 INT to go with over 500yds rushing and 10 TD. Imagine if Noland would have gotten all the snaps. His numbers would be nearly identical to Bohanon.

Feel better?

At the end of the day, the Hogs got their #1 option at QB and GB gets to pick the offense that's right for him. I wish him well. He can go to whichever school he wants. Not many kids have that option. I think he'll be a great QB in a running spread offense.

Sometimes there are no losers, only winners. This seems to be one of those times.
i mean, i agree with his post. But your is also a good post. And you lived up to your name.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

searkhogfan

Quote from: RaisinHog on May 16, 2017, 11:07:51 pm
Who cares he plays 2a football in Arkansas it will take years for him to adjust to SEC level ..

I think you discount the 2A a little much.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 17, 2017, 12:24:47 pm

lolololololololol

Yeah, you discount a league where the average player is 5'8" 137.5 lbs and runs a 5.2 forty.

Guys like Bohannon eat 2a competition alive.  Then, most of them go to college and fail. 

Not all.  Some make the adjustment.  But they dang sure don't do it quickly, and they dang sure don't do it at QB.
All Gas, No Brakes!

searkhogfan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 12:46:24 pm
lolololololololol

Yeah, you discount a league where the average player is 5'8" 137.5 lbs and runs a 5.2 forty.

Guys like Bohannon eat 2a competition alive.  Then, most of them go to college and fail. 

Not all.  Some make the adjustment.  But they dang sure don't do it quickly, and they dang sure don't do it at QB.

What's the percentage of high school players that make the adjustments quickly?   Byron Jones of Junction City played as a freshman.  Alan Turner was a eventual starter.   Kenneth Dixon of Strong & Tyrell Johnson of Rison.  NFL starters.  There's more.  Just BS that because they're in the 2A that they're less. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 17, 2017, 03:04:00 pm
What's the percentage of high school players that make the adjustments quickly?   Byron Jones of Junction City played as a freshman.  Alan Turner was a eventual starter.   Kenneth Dixon of Strong & Tyrell Johnson of Rison.  NFL starters.  There's more.  Just BS that because they're in the 2A that they're less.
They aren't less.  But they sure haven't played enough competition to know who is real and who isn't.  And QB may be the worst, particularly one who can run.  I mean, seriously.  Who in 2a is going to slow down Gerry Bohanon?
All Gas, No Brakes!

searkhogfan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2017, 03:16:25 pm
They aren't less.  But they sure haven't played enough competition to know who is real and who isn't.  And QB may be the worst, particularly one who can run.  I mean, seriously.  Who in 2a is going to slow down Gerry Bohanon?

Very few.  I think JC did.  But not sure about that.  They're some great athletes in 2A & 3A down south.  They just don't see a whole lot of competition.   A couple of years ago. I would have put Junction City against any team in the state. 

Arkiebarkie

Playing in the 3A at QB is going to be much slower learning curve in the SEC. QB is much different than say a Lineman or a RB.  He could certainly be ready in a couple years to start but I think it will take longer than that. If he came to Arkansas he could take his time and learn the speed of the game and not be thrown in the fire to soon. We have QB's ahead of him that know the system. Man, I hope he comes here but if he doesn't, I wish him well unless he's playing Arkansas.

Pig in the Pokey

Well, I agree with some saying he is unproven. But I'd say the same about Nolan. In his split duty last year, Greenwood wasnt exactly playing against SEC level players either. Nobody in High School is a sure fire college player except for a very select few. Those guys, it's usually obvious regardless of their classification.

It's just unfortunate these two are in the same class. Would really have loved to have them both. But, I can't blame CBB or Gerry for it. And Nolan deserves kudos for his unselfish attitude, too.

MrKlem10

Just put off his decision.  Just going to release a top 5 list

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Smart move. Make sure you have all the info you need before you commit to anyone.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 17, 2017, 09:11:50 pm
Here we go again with another drama filled in-state kid that's too good to play for the Hogs... Announcing decision only to blackout and account Top 5. Won't be the last time this happens either  ::)

Considering he was practically gone coming into this week, it is only good news for us.

hogfan14

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 17, 2017, 09:11:50 pm
Here we go again with another drama filled in-state kid that's too good to play for the Hogs... Announcing decision only to blackout and account Top 5. Won't be the last time this happens either  ::)

If his favorite is Mississippi State I don't really think it's a too good for the hogs situation lol

RaisinHog

Quote from: searkhogfan on May 17, 2017, 12:24:47 pm

No I don't .. I spend every fall Friday night at 2a football games and I watch the SEC the next day .. it is a far cry I know all levels are but it's like so far it's not even funny .. im sure he is a great kid I hope he is a hog but every time we offer one of these low classification kids I just cringe .. and there is one.difference between him and those other kids you mentioned .. those kids all led there team to a state championship . Maybe he does his this year who knows .. but we sign these kids fans exspecting them too be the next Newton they have no chance from the git go

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MrKlem10 on May 17, 2017, 08:08:47 pm
Just put off his decision.  Just going to release a top 5 list
Yes! great news/

bennyl08

Watch his throwing compared to Noland's in their respective hudl tapes and you'll easily see why he was offered first as our qb and why Bohannon was offered as an athlete.

Noland throws accurate ball, with a lot more zip than Gerry, and into tight windows while under intense pressure from the DL. His motion is a lot more compact and a much quicker release.

Gerry, otoh, doesn't put a lot of zip on his balls. You watch his tape and you don't see any 30 yard passes that never go more than 10-15 yards above the ground. That isn't to say he can't do that though. Because you will see him arc a pass 50 yards down field and he doesn't seem to need to really wind up to do it, just a flick of the wrist it seems. So, the potential for him to throw zip passes is there, but it does beg the question why he doesn't ever zip them? Part of that could be his receivers can't catch them and in his hudl tape, the windows he is throwing to are pretty wide open so he doesn't need to zip it in there. Further, you see a much slower release from Gerry compared to Noland due to a much longer throwing motion.

In short, Connor looks to be almost a carbon copy of Brandon Allen. Similar size. Similar athleticism. Similar arm/throwing motion.

Gerry is very similar to Ty Storey. Both are about the same size. Both have longer than desired throwing motions though Ty's improved his in college. Both played in a small school. Gerry is significantly faster than Ty, while Ty's HS tape showed him to be a much better passer at that point in their careers.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 17, 2017, 11:30:14 pm
I come here quite often, but this board has become practically dead, so I don't comment much. And what does race have to do with it?
Apparently some of these people think we have a better shot with a black QB.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 17, 2017, 10:20:53 pm
here we go with another insecure poorlilolearkiesaw syndrome flare-up.... coming on the recruiting thread just to criticise the state's top black athlete ::)

What difference does his color make?

riccoar

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2017, 07:13:41 am
What difference does his color make?
It doesn't until you run out of other arguments.  Their is a strong argument to the level of comp he has faced.  However, he is a very gifted athlete and I hope he chooses the Hogs.