Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gerry Bohanon 2018

Started by Letsroll1200, January 16, 2017, 03:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fullfan

I hope he is under center for the Hogs at the season opener in 2019.  :razorback:  Time for a run/pass option at the QB position.

King Kong

Quote from: Letsgohoggin on March 10, 2017, 11:13:25 am
Word from Earle is that Mississippi State is his favorite at this time.

Must not have visited there yet

NoogaHog

Quote from: King Kong on March 27, 2017, 08:48:00 am
Must not have visited there yet

I dunno, have you ever been to Earle? That bar is pretty low.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

redleg

Bielema is going to stick with a pro style offense, which Bohanon doesn't fit. Chances are, Bohanon will be playing for Auburn or LSU in 2018 at QB. The thing is, he'd probably have a better future at WR or OLB, regardless where he goes to school.
There are not very many dual-threat running QB's that make it in the NFL. Cam Newton is an exception, mostly due to his overall talent, and especially his size. If I was in charge of drafting players for an NFL team, I would never draft a dual-threat QB, and especially not one that played in a spread or spread-option offense.
Bohanon might do well at his chosen school as a running QB, and he might even get drafted, but his longevity in the NFL will be diminished due to his proclivity to run. Any QB in the League that runs a lot does not last nearly as long as a pocket-passer.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

chiti66

This kid is a bigger version of Deshaun Watson....I hope we don't live to experience UGA did when facing Clemson.  Kid was literally in their backyard and they didn't recruit for the same reasons UA is hinting at...

Sign both and the best will shine.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: chiti66 on April 10, 2017, 04:24:42 pm
This kid is a bigger version of Deshaun Watson....I hope we don't live to experience UGA did when facing Clemson.  Kid was literally in their backyard and they didn't recruit for the same reasons UA is hinting at...

Sign both and the best will shine.
Watson? Cmon man

6A Georgia HS football vs Earle

NotSoFastMyFriend

Pork Twain

I swear some on here want to return to the HDN days and offer every in-state kid, no matter what position he played or how deep we were there.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 11, 2017, 07:43:47 am
I swear some on here want to return to the HDN days and offer every in-state kid, no matter what position he played or how deep we were there.

It's only going to get worse as this kids recruitment keeps taking off. 

Some want a mobile QB so bad, they will spin it to a racial thing. 

Hawg Red

I'm not as into football as I am basketball, but has it been discussed what Noland's chances of playing pro baseball are? Personally, I'd like to see the staff offer both and offer Gerry as a QB. By all accounts, the kid is a great talent and an exceptional athlete. He's not someone I'd want going to another SEC program. I get that he isn't a pro-style QB, and I agree with the poster (I think it was redleg) that made the point about running QBs not having long NFL careers compared to pocket-passers. It sounds to me like Gerry should consider switching positions if he wants to have a better shot at being an NFL player, though I have no doubt he can be a very good college QB because dual-threat QBs do have good success in college. Again, not a huge football guy but it sounds like he could have a great college and NFL career by switching positions.

Just my less-than-informed take on it. I'd like to see us offer him as a QB and get him on board. I'd love to see him open up more to being moved around and consider the long-term implications of sticking it out as a dual-threat QB (and I'm assuming that he is a dual-threat QB based on what I've read in this thread). Everyone says he's a great kid and I want Arkansas kids to succeed if they are quality young men. I want this kid in a Razorback uniform but I'll understand if he doesn't happen if he's dead-set on being a QB and if the staff doesn't want to offer him as a QB (goes back to Noland -- is he a lock to play football?).

chiti66

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 11, 2017, 08:08:05 am

Only in Arkansas....you dudes are comical.  For the record, I don't give a rats butt what color the kid is, he is an athlete who can help out the Hogs. I lived in Atlanta during the time when Watson was being recruited, and UGA felt that he wasn't a QB, so they didn't really recruit him as they felt that he didn't fit their system.....but he'll be a 1st round draft pic next month.

And as for HS classification....really?

WPS!

chiti66

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 11, 2017, 08:30:01 am
I'm not as into football as I am basketball, but has it been discussed what Noland's chances of playing pro baseball are? Personally, I'd like to see the staff offer both and offer Gerry as a QB. By all accounts, the kid is a great talent and an exceptional athlete. He's not someone I'd want going to another SEC program. I get that he isn't a pro-style QB, and I agree with the poster (I think it was redleg) that made the point about running QBs not having long NFL careers compared to pocket-passers. It sounds to me like Gerry should consider switching positions if he wants to have a better shot at being an NFL player, though I have no doubt he can be a very good college QB because dual-threat QBs do have good success in college. Again, not a huge football guy but it sounds like he could have a great college and NFL career by switching positions.

Just my less-than-informed take on it. I'd like to see us offer him as a QB and get him on board. I'd love to see him open up more to being moved around and consider the long-term implications of sticking it out as a dual-threat QB (and I'm assuming that he is a dual-threat QB based on what I've read in this thread). Everyone says he's a great kid and I want Arkansas kids to succeed if they are quality young men. I want this kid in a Razorback uniform but I'll understand if he doesn't happen if he's dead-set on being a QB and if the staff doesn't want to offer him as a QB (goes back to Noland -- is he a lock to play football?).

The current trend is that most of these kids are not looking for a 10 year career in the NFL.  Hell, with the money that is being thrown around these days, why would anyone want to play more than 3-5 years. 

As for mobile or pro-style QBs....both are desired and are successful in the NFL.

chiti66

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 11, 2017, 08:08:05 am

Hell who knows, the kid could be another....Matt Jones, albeit, with a better arm:).

WPS

bennyl08

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 08:51:36 am
The current trend is that most of these kids are not looking for a 10 year career in the NFL.  Hell, with the money that is being thrown around these days, why would anyone want to play more than 3-5 years. 

As for mobile or pro-style QBs....both are desired and are successful in the NFL.

??

That is not a trend at all.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 11, 2017, 08:30:01 am

So, go back on your promise of only taking 1 QB to your first commit who is recruiting feverishly for you? It almost cost us a safety last year, notice how a certain DB was listed as a CB in our list of commits?

We have a very limited number of scholarships this year, less than 20, so I don't see us offering as QB. As to Noland to MLB, he needs to pick up some mph to get in the discussion of top money, can he??

onebadrubi

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 08:53:27 am
Hell who knows, the kid could be another....Matt Jones, albeit, with a better arm:).

WPS

And that could very well be correct, and he will be given the opportunity to display that talent the next few years in high school

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 11, 2017, 11:06:12 am
And that could very well be correct, and he will be given the opportunity to display that talent the next few years in high school

One more year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 11:08:45 am
One more year.

Geeze hard to believe we are 1 year away from 2018 signing class. 

chiti66

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 11, 2017, 10:26:37 am
??

That is not a trend at all.
Meant to say, "at a 10 year career".  The average of a NFL player is 3.3 years. 

bennyl08

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 11:58:26 am
Meant to say, "at a 10 year career".  The average of a NFL player is 3.3 years.

Still not a trend, it's always been a short career in the NFL.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

chiti66

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 11:03:04 am
So, go back on your promise of only taking 1 QB to your first commit who is recruiting feverishly for you? It almost cost us a safety last year, notice how a certain DB was listed as a CB in our list of commits?

We have a very limited number of scholarships this year, less than 20, so I don't see us offering as QB. As to Noland to MLB, he needs to pick up some mph to get in the discussion of top money, can he??

So you offer this kid as an athlete and a sincere promise to allow him to compete for the QB job.  He then goes on to win the job, do you say, "hey I know you won the job, but I promised....". Come on man!😆.  Look, I like Noland and believe that he can become our starter when the time comes, I just feel equally about Bohanon.

We are on the same team 👌🏾.

chiti66

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 11, 2017, 12:01:45 pm
Still not a trend, it's always been a short career in the NFL.

Bruh

onebadrubi

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 12:06:37 pm
So you offer this kid as an athlete and a sincere promise to allow him to compete for the QB job.  He then goes on to win the job, do you say, "hey I know you won the job, but I promised....". Come on man!😆.  Look, I like Noland and believe that he can become our starter when the time comes, I just feel equally about Bohanon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but people are doing that with this kid and they are getting put way in the back. He is putting the schools at the top that are looking at him exclusively as a QB, MS st and Auburn for example.

HogHomer

Okay what if he's not any better at QB than the QBs we have on the roster when he gets here? He's sounds pretty set on being a QB. He might not want to change and will transfer if he can't beat out anyone. So we lose his scholarship that we could've used for a guy who would be in our program for 4 years.

Whats wrong with the coaches doing their due diligence and making sure that if he doesn't succeed at QB here he won't transfer somewhere else when we ask him to change positions?

Why handcuff yourself with a player offering him the QB spot and no position switching without even knowing if that's his best position in college?

hawginbigd1

Not to say I haven't been impressed already by his recruiting, but it would be really impressive if he was working hard to get Bohanon. He may be on some level I just haven't heard much about it.

ricepig

He's the one saying he wants to be recruited as a QB, apparently he doesn't like being offered as an athlete. I think if they wanted him to play QB, they would offer him at that position. We aren't going to run a zone read option offense, so it's best we find a QB who better fits our style. Now, if you are arguing on our style of offense, start a thread in MMQB, and we'll discuss it there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogHomer on April 11, 2017, 12:23:36 pm
Okay what if he's not any better at QB than the QBs we have on the roster when he gets here? He's sounds pretty set on being a QB. He might not want to change and will transfer if he can't beat out anyone. So we lose his scholarship that we could've used for a guy who would be in our program for 4 years.

Whats wrong with the coaches doing their due diligence and making sure that if he doesn't succeed at QB here he won't transfer somewhere else when we ask him to change positions?

Why handcuff yourself with a player offering him the QB spot and no position switching without even knowing if that's his best position in college?
While I totally agree with you, as far as to your last question it's easy. Some envision themselves as the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne, Nick Saban all rolled into one. In other words, THEY'RE the geniuses and our present coaching staff the ignorant know-nothings.

Hawg Red

I was not aware they promised Noland they would only sign one QB. Thought I made it clear that I don't follow football that closely. That seems like a deep cut.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 11, 2017, 02:46:21 pm
I was not aware they promised Noland they would only sign one QB. Thought I made it clear that I don't follow football that closely. That seems like a deep cut.

We only take one QB a year, or that's Bielema's stance on it. Presently, we have to get 4 to leave in order for to enroll all of this year's class. Next year's Sr class is small, 13, I believe.

chiti66

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 02:55:22 pm
We only take one QB a year, or that's Bielema's stance on it. Presently, we have to get 4 to leave in order for to enroll all of this year's class. Next year's Sr class is small, 13, I believe.
Bruh....if there are 2 legit 4* pro-style QBs wanting to come to the Hill, I am sure that CBB will take them both.  Or at least he should....

chiti66

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 12:41:32 pm
He's the one saying he wants to be recruited as a QB, apparently he doesn't like being offered as an athlete. I think if they wanted him to play QB, they would offer him at that position. We aren't going to run a zone read option offense, so it's best we find a QB who better fits our style. Now, if you are arguing on our style of offense, start a thread in MMQB, and we'll discuss it there.

Now we are just making shat up.  The kid has said that he wants to play QB, so recruit as a damn QB, give him a shot and go from there.  Rafe and Austin agrees with me.....

PS

ricepig

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 03:05:24 pm
Bruh....if there are 2 legit 4* pro-style QBs wanting to come to the Hill, I am sure that CBB will take them both.  Or at least he should....remember Rafe and Austin? 

Bruh.....Allen was Class of 2013, Peavey Class of 2014.  You know, one a year??

chiti66

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 03:09:36 pm

Correct.....they were both 4* QBs battling for the starting job. 

ricepig

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 03:11:26 pm
Correct.....they were both 4* QBs battling for the starting job. 

Yeah, throw in Storey and you have another, the point is we take one QB in a class.

ricepig

Also, for 2019 we'd take Grant Gunnell and take no more.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 03:07:52 pm
Now we are just making shat up.  The kid has said that he wants to play QB, so recruit as a damn QB, give him a shot and go from there.  Rafe and Austin agrees with me.....

PS
Well first of all Rafe isn't on the Hill any longer to agree or disagree. Secondly, it's been a very common practice for CBB to stay with one...as is in single, lone, solitary, etc. QB per recruiting class. It's not as if it's some real unknown secret. At this point his choice is Nolan. Until or unless that changes I suspect no amount of moaning by you is going to change that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: chiti66 on April 11, 2017, 03:05:24 pm
Bruh....if there are 2 legit 4* pro-style QBs wanting to come to the Hill, I am sure that CBB will take them both.  Or at least he should....

Bruh. We have more pressing needs than taking two QB's and our classes are small right now already. We aren't taking two QB's any time soon. Heck even one a year ends up with a logjam and kids transferring.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2017, 04:54:08 pm
Bruh. We have more pressing needs than taking two QB's and our classes are small right now already. We aren't taking two QB's any time soon. Heck even one a year ends up with a logjam and kids transferring.
Dis. Right. Here.

We don't do runnng QBs and if you want to watch one then go cheer for Auburn

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

rljjr

Quote from: Polecat on April 12, 2017, 09:21:28 am
auburn lock

I'd take "the field" over him choosing the Hogs -- and that's ok. The Hogs evaluate and decide, and so do recruits.

Would I like to have him? Yes, based on everything I've read. Will it hurt me if he chooses elsewhere? Nope. Will I be ticked if he goes to an SEC rival and beats us? Nope.

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on April 12, 2017, 09:57:35 am
I'd take "the field" over him choosing the Hogs -- and that's ok. The Hogs evaluate and decide, and so do recruits.

Would I like to have him? Yes, based on everything I've read. Will it hurt me if he chooses elsewhere? Nope. Will I be ticked if he goes to an SEC rival and beats us? Nope.

Yeah, feel the same way. We, different team's and coach's, see different athletes in different ways. Now, will I be ticked if he beats us, you bet, but that will be because lost the game.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 11, 2017, 04:50:37 pm
Well first of all Rafe isn't on the Hill any longer to agree or disagree. Secondly, it's been a very common practice for CBB to stay with one...as is in single, lone, solitary, etc. QB per recruiting class. It's not as if it's some real unknown secret. At this point his choice is Nolan. Until or unless that changes I suspect no amount of moaning by you is going to change that.

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2017, 03:09:36 pm
Makes sense.....but we took Town when we already had a QB, so we don't always take one.

Vantage 8 dude

Arthur pigby sellers.

You could also look at it this way. If you take 2 QBs in one class that likely has a max of 15 scholarships to give, then in reality you have 2 players for the same position and now you cut your effective scholarships down to 14.  Noland is a QB only so if Bohannon beats him out he will transfer. It really sounds like Bohannon is set on being a QB, so if he's beat out then he will very likely transfer rather than switching positions. This could also make some bad blood for Arkansas with his relatives and friends who think he never got a fair shot at QB.  If he goes to Auburn or LSU and they switch him, they really don't care if some people in Arkansas are mad at their program.
     Our recruiting has started out pretty selective and if it continues this way do you want to risk losing a scholarship that could be used on a 2 yr starter at another position?

Also by the practice reports it sounds like Kelly is the real deal at QB and Enos also sounded exited about Hyatt who I think was another Enos steal.  It's not like we are short on QBs and probably won't be while Enos is here, so do we really want to waste an extra scholly on one.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 12, 2017, 10:10:16 am
Makes sense.....but we took Town when we already had a QB, so we don't always take one.

Well, if a 4* QB wants to "transfer" in, I doubt we say no if he fits our system. As it showed, Town didn't fit, so he transferred again.

hawgwash

FWIW I was listening to DTS this afternoon driving home from work.  Marcus Elliott was interviewing Dr. Fitz Hill about his recent trip to Fayetteville where he checked in on both the basketball and football programs. He said he spoke to Barry Lunney and CBB.  At that point Forrest City Joe called in and asked Dr. Hill if he had spoken to CBB about Gerry Bohanon.  Hill has previously expressed his favorable opinion of Bohanon and hopes he ends up with the Hogs.  Dr. Hill said he spoke to both CBB and Barry Lunney about Bohanon and feels much better about the situation.  He says he was told if Bohanon wants to come to Arkansas he will be given a chance to play QB.  At that point I arrived home so I didn't hear the end of the interview.

Hollywood870

Tommie Frazier
Cam Newton
Tony Rice
Deshaun Watson
Mike Vick
Charlie Ward
Major Harris
Chris Leak
Jalen Hurts
Darian Hagan
Jamelle Holloway
Quinn Grovey
Tyrod Taylor
Jamarcus Winston
Jamarcus Russell
EJ Manuel
Dak Prescott
Pat White
Donavan McNabb
Dunte Cullpepper
Steve Mcnair
Tommie Armstrong
JT Barrett
Lamar Jackson

So everyone is recruiting him as a QB except us and he's a home state kid. I don't appreciate that and I'm white. Tired of the hypocrisy here. If he weren't from Arkansas I wouldn't really care. "He doesn't fit our system." Give me a break

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on April 16, 2017, 03:07:55 pm
Tommie Frazier
Cam Newton
Tony Rice
Deshaun Watson
Mike Vick
Charlie Ward
Major Harris
Chris Leak
Jalen Hurts
Darian Hagan
Jamelle Holloway
Quinn Grovey
Tyrod Taylor
Jamarcus Winston
Jamarcus Russell
EJ Manuel
Dak Prescott
Pat White
Donavan McNabb
Dunte Cullpepper
Steve Mcnair
Tommie Armstrong
JT Barrett

So everyone is recruiting him as a QB except us and he's a home state kid. I don't appreciate that and I'm white. Tired of the hypocrisy here. If he weren't from Arkansas I wouldn't really care. "He doesn't fit our system." Give me a break

According to Dr Hill on the radio the other day, we've told him he can come compete for the QB  job, so we'll see how interested he is in Arkansas.

Hollywood870

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2017, 03:10:25 pm
According to Dr Hill on the radio the other day, we've told him he can come compete for the QB  job, so we'll see how interested he is in Arkansas.
He can compete like Brandon Mitchell and get moved to WR and then go win the starting job at NC State in one fall while we play a rookie Brandon Allen and AJ Derby at QB? Gonna be another one of those situations?

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on April 16, 2017, 03:13:59 pm
He can compete like Brandon Mitchell and get moved to WR and then go win the starting job at NC State in one fall while we play a rookie Brandon Allen and AJ Derby at QB? Gonna be another one of those situations?

I don't think Bielema was the first one to move Mitchell to WR, was he? If you suggest there is something else to this, then you don't know the history of Arkansas QB's, or Bielema's QB's. Now, does our system stress more of a passer than a runner, you bet. We aren't running the zone read, and I don't see it in the future either under Enos or Bielema.