Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gerry Bohanon 2018

Started by Letsroll1200, January 16, 2017, 03:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 27, 2017, 01:12:21 pm
I had a buddy tell me the young man walked back the "dream school" stuff once he figured out Aubbie wasn't offering as a qb either.  Just second hand info though.

Is he set on playing QB?  What are schools recruiting him to play?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 01:19:55 pm
Is he set on playing QB?  What are schools recruiting him to play?

The young man himself said, in an interview after Bama offered, that while he loves playing qb, he's open to anything.  I think he's being recruited as an athlete but I could certainly be wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 27, 2017, 01:12:21 pm
I had a buddy tell me the young man walked back the "dream school" stuff once he figured out Aubbie wasn't offering as a qb either.  Just second hand info though.

He was on the local sports the other night, said he took that down because of the grief he was getting from the Bama fans. He also said Auburn offered as a QB.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 01:24:38 pm
He was on the local sports the other night, said he took that down because of the grief he was getting from the Bama fans. He also said Auburn offered as a QB.

Well there ya go.  Like I said, just second hand info.  I'll ask him where he got it

WildRazorback

I think some people are overlooking the fact that Earle is way off in Eastern Arkansas and much closer to Arkansas State University. I live in Wynne, which is pretty close to Earle, and there are a number of ASU fans in the area. Maybe he always liked ASU? And when Malzahn took over, he fell in love with that style of offense and would prefer to be the next big 'Manziel' type. Just a thought. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: WildRazorback on January 27, 2017, 01:31:23 pm
I think some people are overlooking the fact that Earle is way off in Eastern Arkansas and much closer to Arkansas State University. I live in Wynne, which is pretty close to Earle, and there are a number of ASU fans in the area. Maybe he always liked ASU? And when Malzahn took over, he fell in love with that style of offense and would prefer to be the next big 'Manziel' type. Just a thought.

Lol yup THAAATS it

Next1_04

Ole Miss Joining the club- Per Twitter

clutch

I've been told that he really like Miss St., even though they haven't offered yet. I'm sure they will.

ricepig

Quote from: clutch on January 27, 2017, 02:08:29 pm
I've been told that he really like Miss St., even though they haven't offered yet. I'm sure they will.

Big Blue fan, I suspect he'll take Monk's spot.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Next1_04

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2017, 02:38:55 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/27/earles-bohanon-thrilled-about-state-offer/

UA offer. Time to quit fretting.

Earle quarterback-linebacker Gerry Bohanon is now the third in-state junior prospect to receive a scholarship offer from Arkansas. Coach Bret Bielema, tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr. and linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves visited the school. He announced on Twitter on Friday that the Hogs extended the offer and he was thrilled. "I instantly smiled; I was excited on the inside, but I was at school so I couldn't let out how I really felt," Bohanon said, laughing. "I've been feeling good ever since because it's from the state I've grown up in all my life."

Bohanon, 6-4, 215 pounds, also has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Memphis and Arkansas State. Ole Miss became his sixth offer shortly after the Razorbacks offered. The Hogs are recruiting him as an athlete. He passed for 2,734 yards and rushed for more than 1,000 this past season. As a sophomore, he passed for 1,763 yards and rushed for 964 yards in eight games while also recording 46 tackles and 9 sacks in five games at defensive end. Earle Coach Albert Coleman said in an earlier interview that Bohanon is a special talent with a great attitude.

"He's one-of-a-kind in my football playing days, and I'm going back to Little League to junior high to high school and playing college ball at UCA, " Coleman said. "I haven't seen a kid with that type of a work ethic." Last spring, Bohanon had a 3.7 grade point average. As a freshman, he passed for 1,800 yards and rushed for 1,500 yards. Coleman said Bohanon can play quarterback and several other positions on the next level.

"There's no doubt on the next level he would be able to play the position the coach puts him at," Coleman said. "He's as aggressive as he needs to be at linebacker or defensive end. He would probably have some of the best hands on the team at wide receiver or tight end."

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: clutch on January 27, 2017, 02:08:29 pm

Maybe he sees himself as Dak 2.0

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 01:24:38 pm

Alright, so it turns out it was something he heard from a friend who read it from a Mod on the Aubbie 24/7 board.  The mod said that Bohanon being under the impression that Aubbie was offering him as a QB was, in fact, a mistake and that possibly impacts Aubbie being his "dream school".  What it probably comes down to is that Bohanon would really like to play QB even though he's made it clear that he is willing to play anything.  He certainly seems happy with his Arkansas offer.

jgphillips3

Well, I'm guessing if one of our competitors lies to him (ala Devin White/LSU) and tells him he can play QB just to get him to campus, we probably lose him but if he isn't going to get to play QB, then our chances are as good as any.

Letsroll1200

SonOfMud

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 27, 2017, 03:29:09 pm
Well, I'm guessing if one of our competitors lies to him (ala Devin White/LSU) and tells him he can play QB just to get him to campus, we probably lose him but if he isn't going to get to play QB, then our chances are as good as any.

I have no doubt that Auburn will give him every opportunity to be Cam 2.0.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

King Kong

Quote from: SonOfMud on January 27, 2017, 03:59:55 pm
I have no doubt that Auburn will give him every opportunity to be Cam 2.0.

Like they did with Kodi Burns or Kiehl Frazier

Hollywood870

Quote from: King Kong on January 27, 2017, 04:13:50 pm
Like they did with Kodi Burns or Kiehl Frazier
I hope we at least give him a chance as a QB. You know how the running backs that always seem to make that one defender miss in the backfield work out better for us? Same story here. There's gonna be a pass rush coming. We may as well get used to that.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 04:36:49 pm
I hope we at least give him a chance as a QB. You know how the running backs that always seem to make that one defender miss in the backfield work out better for us? Same story here. There's gonna be a pass rush coming. We may as well get used to that.
We run a Pro Style O that requires the ability to make great coverage reads and throw the ball, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  We want a kid who will run a little if there is NOTHING there otherwise. 

Y'all need to give up this running qb thing.
All Gas, No Brakes!

rzrbk4life

Quote from: Next1_04 on January 27, 2017, 02:55:07 pm
Earle quarterback-linebacker Gerry Bohanon is now the third in-state junior prospect to receive a scholarship offer from Arkansas. Coach Bret Bielema, tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr. and linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves visited the school. He announced on Twitter on Friday that the Hogs extended the offer and he was thrilled. “I instantly smiled; I was excited on the inside, but I was at school so I couldn't let out how I really felt,” Bohanon said, laughing. “I've been feeling good ever since because it's from the state I've grown up in all my life.”

Bohanon, 6-4, 215 pounds, also has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Memphis and Arkansas State. Ole Miss became his sixth offer shortly after the Razorbacks offered. The Hogs are recruiting him as an athlete. He passed for 2,734 yards and rushed for more than 1,000 this past season. As a sophomore, he passed for 1,763 yards and rushed for 964 yards in eight games while also recording 46 tackles and 9 sacks in five games at defensive end. Earle Coach Albert Coleman said in an earlier interview that Bohanon is a special talent with a great attitude.

“He’s one-of-a-kind in my football playing days, and I’m going back to Little League to junior high to high school and playing college ball at UCA, “ Coleman said. “I haven’t seen a kid with that type of a work ethic.” Last spring, Bohanon had a 3.7 grade point average. As a freshman, he passed for 1,800 yards and rushed for 1,500 yards. Coleman said Bohanon can play quarterback and several other positions on the next level.

“There’s no doubt on the next level he would be able to play the position the coach puts him at,” Coleman said. “He’s as aggressive as he needs to be at linebacker or defensive end. He would probably have some of the best hands on the team at wide receiver or tight end.”

3.7 GPA is pretty impressive. Doesn't sound like grades will be an issue with this young man
Let's call those hogs!!!!

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

GB said on twitter that Auburn offered him as a qb. I hope we are to

ricepig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on January 27, 2017, 04:44:02 pm

We didn't, offered as an athlete.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 04:45:54 pm
We didn't, offered as an athlete.

AKA you can come here and try to compete at QB for a year or two but if you aren't moving up the depth chart you'll switch positions.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 27, 2017, 04:39:12 pm
We run a Pro Style O that requires the ability to make great coverage reads and throw the ball, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  We want a kid who will run a little if there is NOTHING there otherwise. 

So all those second halves that Austin Allen was getting pounded in the backfield, the ability to  scramble away from those blitzes and hurt the defense wouldn't have helped. Nice post. You watch Clemson or Bama play?

HardingHog

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 05:20:34 pm
So all those second halves that Austin Allen was getting pounded in the backfield, the ability to  scramble away from those blitzes and hurt the defense wouldn't have helped. Nice post. You watch Clemson or Bama play?

Lamar Jackson couldn't have avoided most the hits Austin took this past year. Heck, he got sacked like 8 times against Houston! It's not easy to get away from unblocked Auburn, LSU, Bama, etc linemen and line backers I don't care who you are

Hollywood870

Quote from: HardingHog on January 27, 2017, 05:43:37 pm
Lamar Jackson couldn't have avoided most the hits Austin took this past year. Heck, he got sacked like 8 times against Houston! It's not easy to get away from unblocked Auburn, LSU, Bama, etc linemen and line backers I don't care who you are
What about the hits vs Missouri, Va Tech, AtM, every game we play? I just say I hope we look at him as a mobile QB and get ridiculous criticism for that. What person with a brain wouldn't want their QB to be able to avoid pressure? Just because your mobile doesn't mean you can't run a pro style offense anymore.

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 05:49:04 pm
What about the hits vs Missouri, Va Tech, AtM, every game we play? I just say I hope we look at him as a mobile QB and get ridiculous criticism for that. What person with a brain wouldn't want their QB to be able to avoid pressure? Just because your mobile doesn't mean you can't run a pro style offense anymore.

Nope, but those guys are few and far between. We need a little more athleticism out of our QB's, Hyatt and Noland have that.

Hollywood870

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 05:53:46 pm
Nope, but those guys are few and far between. We need a little more athleticism out of our QB's, Hyatt and Noland have that.
Well ricepig you certainly are going down with the ship. I have to give you credit for that. If I had a violin quartet right about now....

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 05:58:09 pm
Well ricepig you certainly are going down with the ship. I have to give you credit for that. If I had a violin quartet right about now....

I support the University of Arkansas, I don't bandwagon jump from week to week like most. If, and when a change is made, I'll support that.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Yeah, two best offensive lines in college football what's your point? That Austin Allen wouldn't have gotten pounded behind those lines? Good point.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 05:53:46 pm

I talked to Connor Noland's long-time professional QB coach, Dennis Gile, about Connor and he said he is one of the best QBs he's worked with or played with on any level. He's been around some good ones, including Tom Brady and no, I'm not saying Connor Noland is going to be the next Tom Brady but he has certainly caught the eye of some folks who know what high-caliber talent looks like. He's virtually a lock to make it to the Elite 11 finals this summer. Great kid off the field as well. Sad to see some of the "fanbase" is already selling him short.  :razorback:

Deep Shoat

No, I watched Arkansas play.  My OPINION on whether running QB's are better or worse is irrelevant.  We play a Pro Style O.  Therefore, we will never see that style QB at Arkansas.  At least not until we change coaches and bring in Gus or someone like him.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 27, 2017, 06:52:56 pm
No, I watched Arkansas play.  My OPINION on whether running QB's are better or worse is irrelevant.  We play a Pro Style O.  Therefore, we will never see that style QB at Arkansas.  At least not until we change coaches and bring in Gus or someone like him.

I think they'd take a Pro passer that can run some, ala Russell Wilson, but those are few and far between.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on January 27, 2017, 04:44:02 pm
Ole Miss offered as a QB as well.

Bubba's Bruisers

Clemson is a fair example.  Bama isn't. 

Yes, anyone would want a kid like Watson.   We would to, because he's capable of being a pocket passer first.  The Bama QB couldn't hit the ocean a outside of 10 yards.  He has to be run first.  At least at this point in his career.  He's THE reason they lost the NCG.  Was mostly enept in the passing game.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 07:24:34 pm
I think they'd take a Pro passer that can run some, ala Russell Wilson, but those are few and far between.

And ironically, as everyone knows, a BB player.  So there's some precedent for it right there.  At Wisky notwithstanding.

Deep Shoat

Yeah?  Who wouldn't take Russell Wilson.  Or Steve Young?  Or John Elway?  A Pro Style guy who has wheels is welcome at any program. 

Run first guys?  How many NC's have been won by them in the post wishbone era?
All Gas, No Brakes!

imtad16

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 07:28:21 pm
Clemson is a fair example.  Bama isn't. 

Yes, anyone would want a kid like Watson.   We would to, because he's capable of being a pocket passer first.  The Bama QB couldn't hit the ocean a outside of 10 yards.  He has to be run first.  At least at this point in his career.  He's THE reason they lost the NCG.  Was mostly enept in the passing game.

And to add to this Deshaun Watson himself is adamant that he is a pocket passer. He has said that he doesn't even like the Dual Threat label.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: imtad16 on January 27, 2017, 07:50:17 pm

And to add to this Deshaun Watson himself is adamant that he is a pocket passer that can run. He has said that he doesn't even like the Dual Threat label.

Apparently someone has said they want a run first QB, which has brought on this debate.  Never saw who made that claim.  However, I think pretty much everyone is saying they'd want a passing QB who can easily make plays with his feet when necessary.  That's just a no brainier.  There probably isn't an offense in college football that wouldn't want that.  Even Malzahn's.

imtad16

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 07:55:56 pm
Apparently someone has said they want a run first QB, which has brought on this debate.  Never saw who made that claim.  However, I think pretty much everyone is saying they'd want a passing QB who can easily make plays with his feet when necessary.  That's just a no brainier.  There probably isn't an offense in college football that wouldn't want that.  Even Malzahn's.

I hope no one hears me comparing AA to Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, but I think Allen can move. That was not the problem this season. The reason he was getting hit was because of the line (call me captain obvious, I'm just saying it wasn't because he lacks mobility). I believe the line will be much much better next year, Allen won't get hit like he did this season, and we see some of the mobility we would like to see while continuing to pass the ball well.

I haven't seen Bohanon play at all, but Noland has this trait. There is mobility, but he is more of a passer for sure.

factchecker

Quote from: imtad16 on January 27, 2017, 08:04:02 pm
I hope no one hears me comparing AA to Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, but I think Allen can move. That was not the problem this season. The reason he was getting hit was because of the line (call me captain obvious, I'm just saying it wasn't because he lacks mobility) . I believe the line will be much much better next year, Allen won't get hit like he did this season, and we see some of the mobility we would like to see while continuing to pass the ball well.

I haven't seen Bohannon play at all, but Noland has this trait. There is mobility, but he is a passer for sure.

I agree with you about Allen.  He isn't dual threat or a runner by any means but he can move.  The problem was that there was a ton of pressure from up the middle -- primarily over the left guard position.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: imtad16 on January 27, 2017, 08:04:02 pm
I hope no one hears me comparing AA to Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, but I think Allen can move. That was not the problem this season. The reason he was getting hit was because of the line (call me captain obvious, I'm just saying it wasn't because he lacks mobility). I believe the line will be much much better next year, Allen won't get hit like he did this season, and we see some of the mobility we would like to see while continuing to pass the ball well.

I haven't seen Bohanon play at all, but Noland has this trait. There is mobility, but he is more of a passer for sure.

Yes, Nolan appears to have those characteristics.  I think Hyatt may too.  If so, then it's obvious this staff would like QB's that can be elusive when necessary.  Kelly may even have some wheels too for being such a huge guy.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: imtad16 on January 27, 2017, 08:08:37 pm

Matt Jones anyone?

Actually Matt jones was a run first guy.  Would not excel in our offense.

clutch

I think a lot of people are under the wrong impression of Bohanon, thinking he is a run first QB. He isn't, He's a pass first guy who just so happens to rack up a lot of rushing yards each year because he's such a good athlete.

I'm on record as saying that I think his best position is DE, but I'm pretty confident that he could play QB pretty well at a major University. The kid is just an all around very good athlete. He's shown it at some pretty high level camps and all-star games too, not just against 2a competition.

I'm pretty sure he goes to whichever school gives him the best opportunity to play QB though. He didn't even play defense most of the season this year because he wanted to focus on QB play and showing himself off at that position. He started playing D a lot more later in the year when colleges started asking for defensive film on him. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 27, 2017, 06:52:56 pm

Gus will NEVER be HC @ Arkansas.

onebadrubi

See, the thing about types like you, is that if we had a mobile QB who scrambled and we get beat, you'd be hear saying we need someone much more Mallett and pro QB like that can hit throws and make reads...

tophawg19

you realize Bama now uses a mobile Qb as does most top teams .No reason to think we won't .Hyatt , Noland And this kid all are mobile
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 27, 2017, 08:09:11 pm
Yes, Nolan appears to have those characteristics.  I think Hyatt may too.  If so, then it's obvious this staff would like QB's that can be elusive when necessary.  Kelly may even have some wheels too for being such a huge guy.
Kelly is Matt Jones 0.2 lol. all jokes aside he can run and you have to think twice about coming up to hit that big dude . don't look goodf getting freight trained by a QB

tophawg19

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 28, 2017, 11:26:40 am
See, the thing about types like you, is that if we had a mobile QB who scrambled and we get beat, you'd be hear saying we need someone much more Mallett and pro QB like that can hit throws and make reads...
who says a Mallett type QB can't run.