Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verizon/Alltel Clinton School of Public Service

Started by Ash, August 14, 2008, 01:54:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

Just got back from the presentation. Some important questions were answered.

1) Verizon Wireless will convert Alltel HQ into a regional HQ
What does this mean? According to them there will be a large call center and approximately 100 jobs in the finance, marketing, and sales departments.

Impact: Currently there are a couple of thousand high-paying jobs. This means the LR area will lose a couple of thousand jobs that all start around 40k for someone completely new. The impact on the local economy is going to huge. Not to mention the loss of tax revenue for the city/county/state.

Also, Verizon is going to "reexamine" all existing partnerships with local companies. To me this means there are going to be many companies that currently depend on Alltel business to survive that are going to go under or lose employees.

The point is not only is the salary going to be lost but there will be a multiplicative effect throughout the community that will probably be pretty noticeable.

2) Sponsorships/Volunteerism
Gave some examples of sponsorships, oddly enough they were all centered around New Jersey (where the Verizon main HQ is located). When asked directly about current sponsorships of the LR Football Club, RiverFest etc the speaker told the audience that would be evaluated when the deal closed.

My thoughts: The only examples he could pull out of his head were for the area around the Verizon HQ in NJ. This tells me that the current Alltel donations/sponsorships will dry up. Sure Verizon will put some money into the community but nothing compared to the current scale of things.

In closing it was well put together and I cannot blame Verizon for any of this happening. It sucks but thank god I'm young enough to move to something else easily (I hope).

Soooo.... anyone want a finance/economics major with experience as a cost analyst? :D