Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice offseason workouts Stan!

Started by larrylegend33, May 01, 2006, 08:55:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SultanofSwine

pigture perfect

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 02, 2006, 08:14:32 am
It does seem when the players go in to the Pro's they get much bigger.
That's because as you get older, you body changes. I know I've gotten bigger since I was 22.

Besides, there is plenty of time before next B'Ball season to worry about this now. It's finals time and I would rather have them acad. eligible
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Here is what there real summer workout should be.

1.  Monday:  Watch Hoosiers, followed by an episode of The White Shadow
2.  Tuesday: Watch The Fish that Save Pittsburgh, followed by an episode of The White Shadow.
3.  Wednesday:  Watch He Got Game, followed by an episode of The White Shadow
4.  Thursday:  Watch One on One, followed by an episode of The White Shadow
5.  Friday:  Watch Fast Break followed by an episode of The White Shadow
6.  Saturday:  Double Header:  Glory Road during the day, and then Love and Basketball with one of your ladies, of course both followed by and episode of The White Shadow
7.  Sunday:  Serious Study and Inner Reflection Hoop Dreams and Heaven is a Playground followed by an episode of The White Shadow.

This will be much more beneficial than any weightlifting or conditioning program.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 02, 2006, 08:14:32 am
It does seem when the players go in to the Pro's they get much bigger.
It's almost like they've given up their amatuer status and are getting paid to work out ;)  Or, that it's like a full time job or something.  Or, maybe they are getting better food than what is served at Brough Commons...
I'm kind of a big deal.

Lando Calrissian

You guys are right.

It worked to Arkansas's advantage to get outrebounded by their opponents last season.

I'm on all of your side now.  I say we keep doing anything and everything to remain consistently mediocre.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hogs24

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 02, 2006, 09:49:41 am

2.  Tuesday: Watch The Fish that Save Pittsburgh, followed by an episode of The White Shadow.
6.  Saturday:  Double Header:  Glory Road during the day, and then Love and Basketball with one of your ladies, of course both followed by and episode of The White Shadow
7.  Sunday:  Serious Study and Inner Reflection Hoop Dreams and Heaven is a Playground followed by an episode of The White Shadow.

This will be much more beneficial than any weightlifting or conditioning program.

Where's "White men can't jump"?? ;D
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

SupaCrawf

Quote from: hogs24 on May 02, 2006, 03:04:42 pm
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 02, 2006, 09:49:41 am

Where's "White men can't jump"?? ;D

In the dollar bin at wal-mart...
I'm kind of a big deal.

Spider-Pig

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Fresh LegsThe coach can only work with four players at a time.  I suppose they could get a manager in there but the offseason is for strength & conditioning.  Period.

They have a few weeks before their first game and then the non-conference season to get used to playing to each other.

You're kidding yourselves if you think these guys don't need to be hitting the weights hard for STRENGTH training.  You can gain strength and not bulk up and mess up your shot.  These guys could lift every day Monday-Friday if they alternated the area they worked.  The SEC is physical and you can have all the team chemistry you want but if you don't have the strength to compete, forget about it.  That's what happens to some of these little rinky dink schools.  Great team chemistry, but no muscle.  Besides, how much team chemistry are you creating in April with four guys working together? 

One other thing, they should be doing some serious conditioning.  If Heath ever makes another comment like he made in the Press Conference in Dallas, he should be fired immediately.  I don't want to hear "but they were playing 34 minutes a game" as an excuse.  Ronald Steele played 40 minutes nearly every game for Bama.  He brought the ball up which is exhausting both mentally and physically.  He also would have usually been guarding the other teams point guard.

Get in shape or get off scholarship.  This is a program that one a Nat'l title 12 years ago.  Man, it seems like we're not even near that status now.

But if they lift more than twice a week they're sure to get tired!

;)

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Richard_white

Man just reading some of this thread I need fresh legs. 

hogfankb

Fresh legs-

I agree they should be running their asses off. They looked tired in every game last year. Not just in the egg they layed in Dallas (I went and speant the money just like you. Believe me I think they should have ran back from dallas). I did not know the coach could only be with 4 players at a time that is why i was asking earlier how much time he could be with them.

I know they need to be working out. But with as horrible of an offensive and zone defensive team we were last year I think we could use just as much time on the court. I would like to think these guys are working out on their own. So that the full time they are with Heath they could be getting in more basketball. Maybe I just have too much faith in college athletes.

mbgrulz

Quote from: dkwvike on May 02, 2006, 04:24:13 am
If these guys, don't already have bball skills, and fundamentals then they shouldn't have ever been recruited to a D-1 school. They need work on execution, and team chemistry. They should have plenty of time to lift.HS girls are lifting 3 times a week.
Anyone else know of teams lifting through the season? They lift light for  maintenance.
i think you may be dreaming about players coming into college with fundamentals. the first thing a college coach looks for is not who shoots a layup correctly, or who dribbles with their heads up, but they look first and foremost at physical size. i assume tyrus thomas shouldnt have been allowed to play college b-ball? fundamentals are something that a basketball player practices over and over whether he is at his first summer camp as a 3rd grader, or in his final season as an NBA veteran.

what do you do for team chemistry? obviously pat riley doesnt know how to fix it and i think he would know. that is something that is there or not there depending on your personell. personally i think without pookie and ferg. ours will improve.

like somebody said above, was there a game all year where we got pushed around? we did pretty well with the national champs. our problem was not strength, but shooting the ball, and anybody who has ever played basketball outside of their driveway knows that lifting too much tears your shot all to hell.

whether we lift 2 or 3 or 4 times a week, will not be the difference between us making the dance or not. the games will be won and lost on our ability to forget about brewer, come together as a team, hit shots, and have a star rise up from the ranks.

dana caldwell

"Always looked like Pooky was lifting PLENTY.."

modica arrived, and i mean from Day 1, with that body.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: hogfankbBut with as horrible of an offensive and zone defensive team we were last year I think we could use just as much time on the court.

Who plays a zone defense in a pickup game?

hogfankb

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 03, 2006, 11:58:17 am
Quote from: hogfankbBut with as horrible of an offensive and zone defensive team we were last year I think we could use just as much time on the court.

Who plays a zone defense in a pickup game?

"with the team meeting three times a week to practice and two or three other times a week to play pickup games."

I didn't really read that as the only basketball they were playing was pickup games. I would doubt they run offensive sets in the pickup games either but I sure as hell hope they are working on them during practices.

hogs24

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 03, 2006, 10:32:04 am
"Always looked like Pooky was lifting PLENTY.."

modica arrived, and i mean from Day 1, with that body.
No offense...just stating a fact.. :razorback:
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

mbgrulz

first of all, offseason is for players to become better basketball players. strength is a big part of that, but "fooling around" doesnt create better shooters. we SUCKED from the shooting aspect of it last year, and the offseason is the time to address that, not in october when fall practice starts.

i was a very successful basketball player, and i can not pick up a ball for a year, and still be able to shoot better than most. the reason why you shoot thousands of shots during the summer, is for your muscles. it takes great muscles endurance that no lifting can give you to be able to shoot a good shot late in the game.