Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice offseason workouts Stan!

Started by larrylegend33, May 01, 2006, 08:55:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

larrylegend33

Lifting weights only 2 days per week.  What the hell is that. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: larrylegend33 on May 01, 2006, 08:55:27 am

Good, The Transformer's crew has less of an impact.  Smart move there.  Keep Decker away. 

HogISH™

they could put about 20 more pounds of muscle on hill. i am sure it won't affect his shot :)

"lifting weights is over rated"

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

hogfan064

Really?  Where is this info coming from.  2 days a week will get you nothing.   Guess he thought this wouldn't allow his players to have fresh legs

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 01, 2006, 09:04:19 am

Guess he thought this wouldn't allow his players to have fresh legs

I saw that one coming LMAO!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Kevin

any individual workouts going on with coaches?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

casken

May 01, 2006, 10:13:59 am #6 Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:18:01 am by casken

I know it doesn't sound like much but...if you space them equally and do all body parts in each bi-weekly workout it is plenty with cardio in between.  They aren't trying to build any "significant" mass.  It will improve their strength and general conditioining to a limited degree. 
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

pigture perfect

May 01, 2006, 10:22:04 am #7 Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:26:11 am by pigture perfect
Quote from: nwarazfan on May 01, 2006, 08:58:56 am

Good, The Transformer's crew has less of an impact.  Smart move there.  Keep Decker away. 
Decker was hired by Nolan as S&C coach. It's funny to me no one was complaining about what he did with Day and Mayberry through the Kareem And Pat show. Why bring his name up now?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Table Rocker

Stan Heath doesn't drink milk!!! what the #$%@# Stan, milk is good for the bones, do you not drink it b/c its white?????

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Table Rocker on May 01, 2006, 10:27:57 am
Stan Heath doesn't drink milk!!! what the #$%@# Stan, milk is good for the bones, do you not drink it b/c its white?????
uhhh they got Chocolate Milk ya know... why that allegation?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Table Rocker

just looking for another reason to b!tch at stan like larry.

nwarazfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2006, 10:22:04 am

Decker was hired by Nolan as S&C coach. It's funny to me no one was complaining about what he did with Day and Mayberry through the Kareem And Pat show. Why bring his name up now?

He did something with Day?  He and Newt were beanpoles. 

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: caskenIt will improve their strength and general conditioining to a limited degree.

So the goal for the entire summer is to get limited-ly better?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 10:52:37 am
Quote from: caskenIt will improve their strength and general conditioining to a limited degree.

So the goal for the entire summer is to get limited-ly better?

They don't need weights.  They need Cleveland Hill every dang day.  Fresh legs!

oswilliams

I don't know if Ronnie and Hill beefed up on their own last year or what but both got significantly bigger. I think if Hill can bring the same intensity to the weight room this off season, he will be a strong force in the paint. If he can get bigger and work on his aggression and touch on the offensive half, he will become one of the premier big men in the SEC.

mbgrulz

May 01, 2006, 11:10:08 am #15 Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:11:40 am by mbgrulz
weights in basketball dont equal success. sure, you have to take a high schooler and put muscle on him to be able to stand his ground, but putting 20 lbs. on a guy is not what youre looking for in every case. muscle mass in basketball screws up a shooter's shot, and god knows that is what we need. look at the  players who will be drafted in the top of the draft:

joakim noah & corey brewer (if they woulda declared), adam morrison, rudy gay, andrew barganani, jj redick - they are all skinny guys, who dont look like they live in the weight room. i am not saying i agree with only twice in the weight room per week, but i am saying that there are different desirable qualities in basketball and football. basketball emphasizes more refined skills and football emphasizes more brute strength.

SultanofSwine

You don't have to add mass to increase strength either and 2 days a week won't be much help in the strength dept. When has a Stan team ever been physically superior to the rest of the league? When have they ever been the superior team as far as conditioning goes?

hogfan064

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 01, 2006, 11:10:08 am
weights in basketball dont equal success. sure, you have to take a high schooler and put muscle on him to be able to stand his ground, but putting 20 lbs. on a guy is not what youre looking for in every case. muscle mass in basketball screws up a shooter's shot, and god knows that is what we need. look at the  players who will be drafted in the top of the draft:

joakim noah & corey brewer (if they woulda declared), adam morrison, rudy gay, andrew barganani, jj redick - they are all skinny guys, who dont look like they live in the weight room. i am not saying i agree with only twice in the weight room per week, but i am saying that there are different desirable qualities in basketball and football. basketball emphasizes more refined skills and football emphasizes more brute strength.

You do realize that by lifting weights you don't always gain muscle mass.  There's something called muscular endurance, which is what most basketball players would use.  Muscular endurance workouts use more reps with less weight.  Football players are doing less reps with more weights.  Muscular endurance workouts will create a more lean and cut muscle and give the player ability to perform late in the game or "fresh legs" 

mbgrulz

yeah, i know that. i will have a masters in kinesiology next semester. i said above, that i think twice a week is a little slim, but who knows if that's true. personally, id rather see us getting light workouts and 4 or 5 hundred game shots than spending time in the weightroom that could be used for basketball stuff. i just think people are getting too comfortable criticizing coaches. i know they screw up, but if everytime one of us screwed up at our job or at school, people jumped all over it and called for our jobs, it would get old. demanding success, and being a nitpicker are totally different. it's as simple as this: stan must win or stan must go. how he prepares for the games are all up to him.

SultanofSwine

Are there any jobs where you work? It would be damn nice to not be held accountable, I'm thinking.

They need to be in the gym 7 days a week. Either lifting or working on cardio along with serious doses of fundamentals work like ball hadling drills, freethrows, etc. It would be nice to have a well conditioned, strong team for a change.

larrylegend33

It is amazing to me that people are so dumb to think weights are not important.  They are lifting twice a week and that is a joke.  If you dont think weights are important than you have not got a clue.  Oh and nice comment about weights messing up shots.  Steven Hill doesnt need to be on weights does he.  He is so strong and he might mess up that wonderful touch. 

CheerioHog

It realy depends on how much there lifting per day    theres a guy named mike mentzer he is a pro body builder and and while training for the world championship his workout schedule was only two days a week

pigture perfect

Quote from: mbgrulz on May 01, 2006, 02:06:23 pm
yeah, i know that. i will have a masters in kinesiology next semester. i said above, that i think twice a week is a little slim, but who knows if that's true. personally, id rather see us getting light workouts and 4 or 5 hundred game shots than spending time in the weightroom that could be used for basketball stuff. i just think people are getting too comfortable criticizing coaches. i know they screw up, but if everytime one of us screwed up at our job or at school, people jumped all over it and called for our jobs, it would get old. demanding success, and being a nitpicker are totally different. it's as simple as this: stan must win or stan must go. how he prepares for the games are all up to him.
Kines' was my favorite class while going for my Phys. Ed. Degree. And I agree about the rest of what you said too.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SultanofSwine

After how many years of hard core weight training?

SultanofSwine

Larry in some cases coaches do have to restrict a players weight training. In HS Michael Cage was that way. He was a gym rat workout freak though and periodically the coache had  to reduce his upper body lifting beause it was affecting his shot follow through adversely. I seriously doubt any of our current players fit that scenario.

CheerioHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 01, 2006, 02:49:01 pm
After how many years of hard core weight training?

you dont need previous training

nwarazfan

These guys need strength in their legs.  One of the reasons for poor shooting is tired or weak legs.  Sure, Hunter, Hill and Townes need upper body strength added.  Our perimeter guys need to get their legs in shape.

SupaCrawf

"However, these data indicate that one training 2 days/week may derive approximately 80% of the isometric strength benefits achieved by those training 3 days/week."

"I have trained top players in the NFL, NBA, and numerous major college football players and they have obtained excellent results training 2-3 times/week. I seriously doubt that their bodies could recover from more frequent workouts over a period of time."

"Training 2 or 3 days/week are as effective training frequencies as any as long as intensity is high. There does not exist any scientific literature to my knowledge that would suggest that the more advanced trainee needs to train more frequently, although some do."

Maybe Stan does know what he's doing....

Source: http://www.naturalstrength.com/research/detail.asp?ArticleID=202
I'm kind of a big deal.

MBAHog

Did anyone want to provide a link?

BPPig

They are working two hours a session. Except for abs and calves twice a week per body part is the norm. They have to recover.

They practise 3 times a week and play pickup games 2 to 3 times also.

Doesn't BB have their own S & C coach? Does anyone know who that is?

hogfan064

Quote from: SupaCrawf on May 01, 2006, 02:59:53 pm
"However, these data indicate that one training 2 days/week may derive approximately 80% of the isometric strength benefits achieved by those training 3 days/week."

"I have trained top players in the NFL, NBA, and numerous major college football players and they have obtained excellent results training 2-3 times/week. I seriously doubt that their bodies could recover from more frequent workouts over a period of time."

"Training 2 or 3 days/week are as effective training frequencies as any as long as intensity is high. There does not exist any scientific literature to my knowledge that would suggest that the more advanced trainee needs to train more frequently, although some do."

I've trained for over 10 years now and I've never seen any results from 2 workouts a week.  I don't know anyone that has.  The players need to be lifting 4 days a week and training 5-6 days. 7 days is unhealthy as you have to give the body some rest.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 01, 2006, 03:07:41 pm

I've trained for over 10 years now and I've never seen any results from 2 workouts a week.  I don't know anyone that has.  The players need to be lifting 4 days a week and training 5-6 days. 7 days is unhealthy as you have to give the body some rest.
And you got your PhD from where? ;)
I'm kind of a big deal.

SultanofSwine

cheerio, am I understandingg yu correctly that you need no prior training to be a pro body builder? Seriously? He must not be planning on winning...I see the correlation to Stan's plan now, thanks for clearing that up. ;)

BPPig

Here is a link to the article.

http://wholehogsports.com/story.php?paper=adg&storyid=153305

If one is talking about training for body building that is a whole different breed of cat. I have never seen any of them train their fast twitch muscles but Basketball players sure should. When the Army went to weight training in my area of Germany we started with 2 days a week for an hour. After six months the gains were stunning. Measuables were way up. They didn't look that much different as you have to really watch your diet for that but we were stronger and had better endurance. Also, I am sure they don't run them off if someone wants extra work.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BPPig on May 01, 2006, 03:06:23 pm
They are working two hours a session. Except for abs and calves twice a week per body part is the norm. They have to recover.

Fresh legs!!!!!

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hog caller

jvegashawg

Does anybody know what successful programs around the country do with respect to basketball players and lifting?  Just off the top of my head, it doesn't seem that big a deal that they practice three days a week as a team, lift two days a week as a team, and then play pick up ball in between.  These guys can lift on their own as well, and I suspect they are being encouraged to do that. 

SupaCrawf

Quote from: jvegashawg on May 01, 2006, 03:30:39 pm
Does anybody know what successful programs around the country do with respect to basketball players and lifting?  Just off the top of my head, it doesn't seem that big a deal that they practice three days a week as a team, lift two days a week as a team, and then play pick up ball in between.  These guys can lift on their own as well, and I suspect they are being encouraged to do that. 
No, you're missing the point!  We have to have SOMETHING to use to call Stan a bad coach / failure / idiot!!!  ;)  Can't assume that just maybe he knows what he's doing...
I'm kind of a big deal.

SultanofSwine

"A team can't win pressing for 40 minutes" as close as I can remember to the exact quote.

Tell me again how much he knows...

hogsrmyfav36

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2006, 10:22:04 am

Idiot,  Decker wasn't S&C coach when Day and Mayberry were here.  He may have been a Grad Assistant but he wasn't the S&C coach
F&*!NG INTRANET

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: SupaCrawfNo, you're missing the point!  We have to have SOMETHING to use to call Stan a bad coach / failure / idiot!!!  ;)  Can't assume that just maybe he knows what he's doing...

You're right.

Strength, stamina and conditioning do not matter in basketball.

It *is* possible to lift 3-4 times a week WITHOUT going Cedrick Cobbs on us and putting on 30lbs of muscle.

Lighter weight - more reps.  Instead of getting bulky, akward muscles, you get smaller, more conditioned one's.  It's not rocket science.

Twice a week doesn't give you anything.

zwhogfan

I agree, they need to lift every other day, one day lifting, then a day of recovery. If they do lots of reps at a lighter weight then they will be fine. But twice a week is, IMO, inadequate.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 03:41:41 pm

Please see my earlier post referencing Ted Lambrinides, PhD.  Then tell me where your PhD is from, and I'll believe that two workouts per week results in 'Nothing'...

I'm kind of a big deal.

bighog1015

just to let you all know hes only doing it to make sure they dont put on a ton of wait in the offseason. the season wont start again for about 6 months or so. just thought i would let you know that

mbgrulz

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 01, 2006, 03:41:41 pm
Quote from: SupaCrawfNo, you're missing the point!  We have to have SOMETHING to use to call Stan a bad coach / failure / idiot!!!  ;)  Can't assume that just maybe he knows what he's doing...

You're right.

Strength, stamina and conditioning do not matter in basketball.

It *is* possible to lift 3-4 times a week WITHOUT going Cedrick Cobbs on us and putting on 30lbs of muscle.

Lighter weight - more reps.  Instead of getting bulky, akward muscles, you get smaller, more conditioned one's.  It's not rocket science.

so what makes that 3rd lift so magical? is there proof that 3 is better than 2? it looks like that guy with the Ph D would know.  and yeah, its possible to lift 3 or 4 times a week and not get bulky, but i dont think you can replace good ole line drills and stadiums for a basketball workout program.

SultanofSwine

You guys advocating this wimp assed program need to keep in mind that while you may make some gains with a 2 day program you will unequivocally gain more with more stringent program. Ofcourse we are quickly becoming accustomed to taking a half assed approach to everything related to the BBall team so why should the offseason workouts be any different?

SupaCrawf

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 01, 2006, 04:07:37 pm
You guys advocating this wimp assed program need to keep in mind that while you may make some gains with a 2 day program you will unequivocally gain more with more stringent program. Ofcourse we are quickly becoming accustomed to taking a half assed approach to everything related to the BBall team so why should the offseason workouts be any different?

Would you sacrifice an extra day of skill development for an extra day of weights?  If 2 days gets you 80% of the benefit?  There is a limited amount of time in a week, and a coach has to distribute it as effectively as possible.  Hell, why not lift five days a week?  Sure, there wouldn't be anytime for individual workouts, but we'd have a GREAT LIFTING PROGRAM!!!!  B/c, as we know, these guys all came here to be weight lifters who just happen to be b-ball players....

I'm kind of a big deal.

jvegashawg

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 01, 2006, 04:07:37 pm

As I read the article, they are meeting as a team twice a week for two hours in the weight room.  This does not affect how much individual players are working out.  Playing basketball is not these guy's jobs.  They still have to go to school and some probably work part time in the summer.  I'm just wondering if anybody is comparing what Stan's ordering as far as off season weight work to what every other major coach does, or if they're just thinking that twice a week doesn't cut it without really knowing what other programs do.  If somebody can show me that every other program in the SEC works out as a team with weights four times a week for two hours, then the criticism becomes more valid.    

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: mbgrulzso what makes that 3rd lift so magical? is there proof that 3 is better than 2? it looks like that guy with the Ph D would know.  and yeah, its possible to lift 3 or 4 times a week and not get bulky, but i dont think you can replace good ole line drills and stadiums for a basketball workout program.

Ever tried it?

And besides, there are people with PhD's that say eating chocolate is GOOD for you.

Let's get out of the realm of theory and into the realm of results.

But hey, we don't want to make them tired.  Fresh legs!

SultanofSwine

Don't think for a minute that I am not for 5 day a week lifting, high rep/low weight/body part specific. I agree that they do need SERIOUS amounts of fundamental work and if you had read the thread you would have seen where I already mentioned as much. My question is who is going to be teaching it? At the rate they have been improving I would trade that miniscule amount of fundamentals work for a better conditioned and stronger team that doesn't get abused on the boards like we have been or one that can push the defensive tempo for more than 5 minutes.