Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest Basketball Coach in UA History

Started by dhornjr1, January 25, 2006, 02:09:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GOAT

Obviously the way he went out makes this a hot button topic, but the thread is the greatest coach in UA basketball history.  Until you show me someone else with a National Championship under his belt though this discussion is over.  If HDN or any other football coach, regardless of color, won a National Championship at the UA he could take a dump on Frank's desk daily and there'd be nothing said or done about it.

Point blank Nolan is and I'm sure always will be a winner.  He won at each and every level he coached.  Now for the Eddie fans out there I'll agree that he put Razorback basketball on the map, but the capital of college basketball was Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1994.  Nolan deserves to be inducted into the HOF and I hope one day he'll be thought of as highly as Eddie is now.  It took some years for that to happen as well, if I recall.  A fitting tribute would be to have the court named after him in a wonderful ceremony.

GOAT

hogtheball

This doesn't have to be all Nolan VS. Eddie.   I've been going to Razorback games since Sutton came to town (as a very small kid).  I still remember when Barnhill had a dirt floor around the court!  Back then, basketball was just an afterthought at Arkansas.  Before Sutton, Broyles was accused of being a football only athletic director.  Sutton built an awesome program that was one of the most successful in the country.  He started from almost nothing to make Arkansas an extremely successful program.  He was the best coach Arkansas could possibly have had at the time. 

When Sutton left, he had huge personal issues. He'd be the first one to tell  you it's not the time in his life he's the most proud of.  I'm sure many of us have had those times in our lives as well.  It got worse when he went to Kentucky.  Most men would have dropped out of coaching with all their money and never bothered with it again.  Sutton went back to his alma mater OSU (they were terrible when he got there), cleaned up his personal life, and has built another of the nations' most respected programs.  Those of us who appreciated what he did for the UofA love him for it and always will.  I wish him the best. 

Nolan came at a difficult time and took us to an even greater level than we had been.  He was the right coach at the right time for Arkansas.  Most people on this board are young and only remember back to Nolan's glory days - and don't even remember the triplets.  Nolan was fun, entertaining, and won games. His personal issues were certainly there as well - different from Sutton, but difficult in their own way for fans. At a time when we entered the tough SEC, Nolan's defensive strategy, I think, was the best thing that could have happened to the program. 

I don't think Nolan quit focusing on basketball his last few years.  I think SEC coaches figured out exactly how to handle the 40 Minutes of Hell. It became 30 minutes of hell, then a half of hell, then just a really uncomfortable defense for point guards.  Would Nolan have changed? We may never know, but his defense is still giving teams fits at UAB.

I don't know exactly who was the best coach - but I thank them both for all the great memories they gave me.  Who was the best quarterback? Dan Marino or John Elway?  We could argue for a hundred years and not decide... I think the same of Sutton and Nolan.  I'm just glad they were  both here and their legacy should be something to be proud of, not argued about.

I really don't know if Heath is up to the challenge or not.  I do know he has two incredible legacies to live up to and that makes it tough on any young coach.  I predict even if he isn't successful at Arkansas, he will be somewhere - sometime.   Gotta go.  I'm going to go to the game tonight and scream until I lose my voice just like always.  If we do lose, it won't be because this fan didn't do his job to make Fayetteville one of the toughest road trips in the country.  Hope to see you guys there.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

CalHog

Let's not forget what our BB program was before Eddie.  He put Arkansas basketball on the map.  Nolan was a good coach, but there are a number of coaches that could have carried on the tradition that Eddie left us with.

Pig Power

Quote from: CalHog on January 25, 2006, 05:28:21 pm
Let's not forget what our BB program was before Eddie. He put Arkansas basketball on the map. Nolan was a good coach, but there are a number of coaches that could have carried on the tradition that Eddie left us with.
Cabot..... What did Eddie really do? 1 Final Four? Please... ES was a good coach but couldn't lick Nolan's Boots when it comes to winning Championships.. IMO. Look, I don't condone his attitude, but the MAN could coach and did more for this University than any other coach. Period.

hogtheball

Nolan didn't take Tulsa to the final four.  he needed to get to a better program to get it done.  Why was it a better program?  Sutton made it that way.  When Sutton got here, we weren't any better than Tulsa's program.  We were just a football school. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

dude

Quote from: ki285 on January 25, 2006, 04:56:24 pm
yea you are right blitz. he had to have been treated awful on the hill. thats why he stayed for so long right
AND still lives here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude

IF......Nolan is sooooooo great, why is he still unemployed?

berryhog

IMO Nolan was definitely the greatest.  I know ES helped lay the foundation, but Nolan took it to the top.  Nolan brought us to elite status in the early to mid 90's.  I just wish his career would have ended differently. :razorback:

johnny cash

He is the best so far.  I hope that he is not the best that will ever be.  Surely we will be back on track to compete for championships if not why compete. 

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: tulsahog36 on January 25, 2006, 02:51:45 pm
Quote from: Inigo Montoya on January 25, 2006, 02:20:51 pm
To bad that's the best coach our program has had. Sorry but Nolan hates white people. ;D

I agree 100%. The bad taste he left in mouth puts Eddie Sutton on top of my list. He was\is all class. Hopfully after this year win Ark fires stan heath they can hire his son Scott Sutton, who has made ORU a very competitive team the past 6 years.

Eddie brought our program in to the national scene no matter what anyone says.  Nolan was great also, have nothing against hiim.  he just turned sour at the end because Broyles is who he is.  But you can't bite the hand that feeds you no matter where you are at in your life.

fieldturf

I got sick and tried of playing 10 or 12 all black schools from the Southern Conference during Nov & Dec and then get stomped by Okla. or Cinn. right before conference play started in Jan.

jkcrunch

Quote from: tulsahog36 on January 25, 2006, 04:51:18 pm
smite for mr.show for comment about Nolans statue.

Tulsa other than your disdain for Nolan you have avoided the fact that we won a NC while Nolan was in charge and Eddie didnt.    Eddie was not a sterling person either at Arkansas.  He had problems with booze and drugs at the time.  There were rumors that he had coke issues.  He also said he would crawl to coach at UK, this is when he had fans of UA lining up to watch us play.   He also left the program without a single d1 player on the roster other than the problem kids who had drug issues also.  By the way they never failed a drug test while Eddie was here and failed there first one when Nolan showed up.

Both are great coaches Eddie was not a prince and Nolan did show his A$$.  But winning is how everyone judges coaches on this board at least that is what
I have noticed.  Number seem to favor Nolan over Eddie.

South_Ark_Pig

EDDIE SUTTON, HANDS DOWN, NO FURTHER DISUCSSION NEEDED!!

TMc

Nolan was without question.  I sure miss his coaching style.. I still wish Stan success but he is just on a learning curve, and whether or not he upgrades is still in the air. Nolan could take this team and darn near get to the final eight.  I wish Nolan was coach and Stan was recruiting for him.

silvertip

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 25, 2006, 02:16:49 pm
Too bad he couldn't adapt to the game as it changed and as recruiting changed. Its a shame he went out losing leaving behind a mediocre at best program.

Eddie Sutton was the best BB coach at Arkansas.

silvertip

Quote from: TMc on January 25, 2006, 10:23:26 pm
Nolan was without question. I sure miss his coaching style.. I still wish Stan success but he is just on a learning curve, and whether or not he upgrades is still in the air. Nolan could take this team and darn near get to the final eight. I wish Nolan was coach and Stan was recruiting for him.

Well, since you're new here, I'll repeat what many have said, but maybe you haven't seen yet.

Most of these players would not have played for Nolan. He couldn't use or develop big men & the word was out. Now, we have at least 3 big men with the chance to develop into NBA players. Plus another on the way. Plus Brewer who would not have played for Nolan.

What you would get with Nolan was a bunch more Charles Bakers & Gomez's & Satchells with the occasional Igoudala & Sullinger. It was over long before Nolan left.

mbgrulz

Quote from: South_Ark_Pig on January 25, 2006, 10:05:47 pm
oh, im sorry. i forgot that ES won us our NC, and got us back the next year. all nolan did was get us to 1 final four. i mean come on the coach at GA Tech did that. that's nothing. for a second there, i thought nolan won us the title. stop the discussion, south ark pig says so.

IndyHog45

As far as being able to handle game situations and getting a team prepared to play to the best of its ability, my vote has to go to Eddie Sutton.

hogtheball

"He also left the program without a single d1 player on the roster other than the problem kids who had drug issues also.

JK? I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it, but you need to check the roster again for Nolan's first year.  Byron Irvin was on Nolan's first team (All-American after transferring to Missouri). Went on to play three seasons in the NBA - Portland, I think.  Also, Andrew Lang was on that team - he only played NBA ball for 12 seasons or so.  William Mills was there.  A tragic story in the end, but maybe the most talented player ever at UofA, and certainly a D-1 player.  I'm sure there were some drug issues, but I think you'll find there were some on Nolan's teams as well.  You can say that Nolan was a better coach than Eddie (and you might be right), but Eddie didn't leave a team without talent.  Certainly, if that is the way we judge coaches, Eddie left us with more talent than Nolan did.  Again, I love both of 'em.  Razorback basketball wouldn't have become great without either.

chiefsfan

Quote from: tulsahog36 on January 25, 2006, 04:39:32 pm
The top five coachs:
1. eddie sutton
2. Scott Sutton (who will be the coach here next year)
3. Stan Heath
4. Elmer Fud
5. ANYONE but Nolan

Scott Sutton will be the coach of OSU next year,  he would be off his rocker if he left.

And Stan hasnt done enough to warrent his dismissal yet...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogtheball

chiefsfan,   Scott is at ORU - and doing a great job.  His brother, Sean, is at OSU - and will be the head coach soon.  And a good one, I think. 

DUKE SNYDER

How many times did Nolan beat Sutton at Arkansas or Tulsa.Try zero.
Nolan would never have been at Arkansas if Sutton hadn't built the program
from scratch & when Eddie started at Arkansas he had a 5000 seat arena with
a dirt floor & no NCAA tournament games in eighteen years.
Without his building up the program there would not have been no Bud Walton
Arena.

I can guarantee if Nolan had to go an coach in Stillwater he would never have matchedEddie's record or would have got to the final four as many times as he did.

So Nolan had everything laid in his lap taking over a proven program with awesome
facilities & he did have a different kind of style which took coaches awhile to
figure it out & when they did he started going downhill fast because all they
had to do was get him in a half court game & he was done.

Also he refused to recruit Arkansas boys & lost his Memphis connection he
could no longer compete.

Suttion was a teacher & take a decent player & turn him into a great player
whereas Nolan players did not get much better from the time they arrived
here.

Also Eddie allways had a better coaching staff.Look how many coaches that
have got head coaching jobs elsewhere.

Also from the second season Eddie was here every game was a sellout & the
seats were always filled.

I do agree that Nolan did win a national championship & I give him credit for that
but the most exciting times for me was watching Delf,Brewer,Moncrief,U.S Reed.
Balantine,Counce,Medlock,Walker,Hastings,Klien,Ricky Norton.Do you notice
how many of those players were from Arkansas.Those are the players who
made Arkansas basketball & why we expect so much out of our team.

So who do you think I say it the best
Quote from: mbgrulz on January 25, 2006, 04:48:00 pm
im a lifelong razorback fan, but if scott sutton is hired here, im moving away. i dont want anything to do with eddie frown face sutton. i dont even want his spunk on campus. we need to quit living in the past and go get the next nolan richardson. obviously stan is not going to be him, so lets go get the next one.

fsmhogfan

Sutton and Nolan both had huge influence on the program. Sutton built the program into a winner. He created the tradition. Nolan did what Eddie couldn't do and in my opinion, will never do, and that is, obviously, win a national championship. I don't even think this would be a valid topic if not for the way Nolan went out. I really don't understand what happened during the adabayo and pate ordeal, but I know it crushed the program as did the herod scandal. Nolan has to be #1 as he brought the 'backs an NC.

Chappeee

chillinhoggie

It's either Nolan Sutton, or Eddie Richardson for sure.

chillinhoggie

"If HDN or any other football coach, regardless of color, won a National Championship at the UA he could take a dump on Frank's desk daily and there'd be nothing said or done about it."     

That may be the funniest thing I've read on this board.
Nice. Goat.

Hardwork321

If someone say that Nolan isn't the Best UA basketball coach ever they hate Black people.

Call Mr. Sow

Anyone who says anything other than Nolan is obviously harboring a lot of ill feelings about the things Nolan said, and I suppose that's valid, but to me, the way the Hog team quit last year was way more embarassing than any racial tirade Nolan ever went on. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: DUKE SNYDER on January 26, 2006, 12:52:28 am
Arena.

I can guarantee if Nolan had to go an coach in Stillwater he would never have matchedEddie's record or would have got to the final four as many times as he did.

So Nolan had everything laid in his lap taking over a proven program with awesome

could no longer compete.

here.

I do agree that Nolan did win a national championship & I give him credit for that

im a lifelong razorback fan, but if scott sutton is hired here, im moving away. i dont want anything to do with eddie frown face sutton. i dont even want his spunk on campus. we need to quit living in the past and go get the next nolan richardson. obviously stan is not going to be him, so lets go get the next one.
you can try every vain attempt to make your boy eddie look better than NR. heck, i used to want vince carter to be the next jordan instead of kobe, but some things you cant deny. we all know that peyton is a more talented QB than Tom Brady, but who has the rings? kevin garnett is more talented than tim duncan, but who has won the WC's? in the end, all the nerdy stats in the world dont equal a championship ring.

Joe-T

bloodeytusk479

Noland energized basketball season like nothing ever seen in these parts.

bloodeytusk479

I have little energy for this squad.I have the eternal hope for recuiting for stan.Wash,mcbride,weems,welsh,irving,this needs to pay dividens next season.I really dislike colin cowherd.He is like a bad snlive skit that will not stop.

Hums

I think you would have to rank Nolan near if not at the top. He took our Program to the next level, but unfortunately he biggest problem he had was that he could not forget.I guess I would have been bitter too if, when I daughter was dying, all I heard and read about in the papers was that he was a lousy coach and needed to resign or get fired. I think he has and will always remember those 1st couple of years and all the hate/anger that was directed towards him, and he cant get over it. I did disagree with the way he ended his career,and think he was in the wrong, and that after we made it to the top he got satisfied and took it easy for a couple of years and that cost us, but give the man his due, he brought us to heights that we may never reach again. I will always remember Nolan giving a relative of mine, who worded the scores table, a copy of the Kansas game to give to me because I was unable to attend the game because of an illness.

bloodeytusk479

Colin cowherd won a award,This is a sign of the Apocalypse.This guy tries to be funney.Is everyone on dope but me or what.This guy is annoying.

bloodeytusk479

DUKE SNYDER

If you choose to ignore the facts then you probably wasn't around when
Sutton first got here & saw where he had to start from.
If he was so much better than Eddie then how come he never beat him.
Also as a previous poster asked:Why is he not employed.I believe Sutton
still is.
How many losing seasons did Eddile have here verses Nolan.
Hpw many MsDonald All-Americans did Nolan have come here & how many
were college americans when they left.
How many Sutton players since he has been coaching verses how many
Nolan has put in the NBA.
Quote from: mbgrulz on January 26, 2006, 08:55:58 am
Quote from: DUKE SNYDER on January 26, 2006, 12:52:28 am
Arena.

could no longer compete.

here.

you can try every vain attempt to make your boy eddie look better than NR. heck, i used to want vince carter to be the next jordan instead of kobe, but some things you cant deny. we all know that peyton is a more talented QB than Tom Brady, but who has the rings? kevin garnett is more talented than tim duncan, but who has won the WC's? in the end, all the nerdy stats in the world dont equal a championship ring.

Pignominious

If your going to rate AR coaches how about this one:
1 John McDonnell
2 Nolan Richardson
3 Eddie Sutton
4 Frank Broyles

and then the riff raff ensues in no particular order.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

HairyHog

I agree.  Nolan was the best. He was, however, a racist.  It's too bad he decided to get into a peeing contest with Broyles.  Nobody wins when they slap leather with Frank.

Athog

Eddie Sutton could take more and make it win more than anyone. He did it here and other places too.

mykidsdad

This is my first post but something needs to be said. I have known Nolan and Miss Rosie personally for about 17 years. He is most certainly not racist. In fact he is the least racist person that I know. However he does have a back bone and will stand up for what he believes, which none of our current coaches will do. I find it interesting to see where the press will use the "NCAA hurt the football program with the investigation" as an excuse for why the football program has had 2 loosing records. I never heard that excuse from the media about the basketball program. If you will remember in 96 the NCAA started an investigation into the basketball program based upon problems with the administration. This investigation lasted about a year and then we were placed upon probation (because of Kim Wood typing papers for players). Of course this type of thing only hurts the football program and has no effect on the basketball program or its' recruiting. Also, it is kind of strange how the press has been extremely "good" to Houston while they were far from it with Nolan. Why do you think that happened? Most every fan bases their opinions of the coaches on what the press says because they do not have access to the coaches themselves. How do you know that Stan Heath is a good man? How do you know that Houston is a good man? Most people, not all, make this determination based upon what others write or say about them. How many of you know about all the money that Nolan raised for charity? I do. Lastly, if you remember, Nolan stated that he would leave quietly if they would allow coach A (Mike Anderson) to become head coach. This would have also kept AI and other players with Arkansas. JFB made his decision that Heath was the right choice. Look at UAB and look at Arkansas. JFB is the one that destroyed the program and is continuing to do so, not Nolan, and yes without a doubt Nolan was and will always be the best coach ever to coach at Arkansas (notice that I did not preface it with a sport).

dhornjr1

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 26, 2006, 10:03:33 pm
This is my first post but something needs to be said. I have known Nolan and Miss Rosie personally for about 17 years. He is most certainly not racist. In fact he is the least racist person that I know. However he does have a back bone and will stand up for what he believes, which none of our current coaches will do. I find it interesting to see where the press will use the "NCAA hurt the football program with the investigation" as an excuse for why the football program has had 2 loosing records. I never heard that excuse from the media about the basketball program. If you will remember in 96 the NCAA started an investigation into the basketball program based upon problems with the administration. This investigation lasted about a year and then we were placed upon probation (because of Kim Wood typing papers for players). Of course this type of thing only hurts the football program and has no effect on the basketball program or its' recruiting. Also, it is kind of strange how the press has been extremely "good" to Houston while they were far from it with Nolan. Why do you think that happened? Most every fan bases their opinions of the coaches on what the press says because they do not have access to the coaches themselves. How do you know that Stan Heath is a good man? How do you know that Houston is a good man? Most people, not all, make this determination based upon what others write or say about them. How many of you know about all the money that Nolan raised for charity? I do. Lastly, if you remember, Nolan stated that he would leave quietly if they would allow coach A (Mike Anderson) to become head coach. This would have also kept AI and other players with Arkansas. JFB made his decision that Heath was the right choice. Look at UAB and look at Arkansas. JFB is the one that destroyed the program and is continuing to do so, not Nolan, and yes without a doubt Nolan was and will always be the best coach ever to coach at Arkansas (notice that I did not preface it with a sport).

One of the best posts of he thread.

South_Ark_Pig

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 25, 2006, 11:18:01 pm
Quote from: South_Ark_Pig on January 25, 2006, 10:05:47 pm
oh, im sorry. i forgot that ES won us our NC, and got us back the next year. all nolan did was get us to 1 final four. i mean come on the coach at GA Tech did that. that's nothing. for a second there, i thought nolan won us the title. stop the discussion, south ark pig says so.

Why highlight my comment when if you look there were alot of posters before me that said ES was the best? Just wondering why you picked mine out? cause it was in bold type? I guess you think dick vitale is the best announcer ever too?

South_Ark_Pig

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 26, 2006, 10:03:33 pm

Nolan isnt  a Racist? I guess he didnt call us a bunch of redneck SOB"s either? or said if he was white they would build a staute of him? is that not  aracist comment? let a white coach say that and hes fired before he gets the sentence out of his mouth. Nolan is as big a racist as jesse jackson and al sharpton. Go tell that story to someone that will believe you.

Ugly Uncle

Eddie Sutton came in with no real history or tradition.  He built this program.  Anyone ever read of the changes he made to just the arena?  I know he left saying he would have crawled to Kentucky.  But he was the best coach that didn't embarrass us...and bring us completely down.  I think Nolan was a great coach and should and could of been the greatest.  But what he did after he left dropped him down to #2.  He should have left when he left with a statue of him in front of Bud Walton.  He should have been a celebrated hero.  I am sorry that he became what he hated most.  Eddie was the greatest we had...built the program.  Gave us national recognition.  Remained (mostly) a class act.
Retired Radio Host

dman

:'(Nolan was the best, too bad he burned the bridge.Go Hogs Go, beat ky :razorback: :razorback:

ThunderHog

Eddie is one of the best bench coaches that the college game has seen, but Nolan's record cannot be argued.  He won more titles, got us to more final fours and won more big games against big teams.  Stats alone  put him at the top of the list.

Did anyone see Nolan at last nights game in Memphis.  He was sitting right in the middle of a bunch of Memphis fans.  He was  wearing UAB colors and he was absolutely wearing out one of the refs standing close by.  It was great.

Hardwork321

I did see him!  i sure is good to hear about Nolan.

Quote from: ThunderHog on January 27, 2006, 12:05:04 pm
Eddie is one of the best bench coaches that the college game has seen, but Nolan's record cannot be argued. He won more titles, got us to more final fours and won more big games against big teams. Stats alone put him at the top of the list.

Did anyone see Nolan at last nights game in Memphis. He was sitting right in the middle of a bunch of Memphis fans. He was wearing UAB colors and he was absolutely wearing out one of the refs standing close by. It was great.

razrken

This is an easy question to answer...NOLAN RICHARDSON...end of discussion next post please

razrken

I think Eddie "crawled to kentucky to get away from Arkansas"

hoggystyle78