Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

bleacher report complete idiots....

Started by hogginuplittlerock, June 29, 2011, 04:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogginuplittlerock

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/749077-college-football-2011-who-are-the-real-contenders-and-pretenders-in-the-top-25/page/13

14. Arkansas Razorbacks

Arkansas has tremendous talent at the offensive skill positions, with their top four wide receivers and star running back Knile Davis returning from last season's Sugar Bowl team.

Whether they'll have much help remains to be seen.

With star quarterback Ryan Mallett and three starting offensive linemen gone, the Razorbacks may have a tough time putting points on the board, especially once they get into the teeth of SEC play.  They will lean heavily on Davis, a 220-pound bruiser who topped 1,300 yards a season ago, but if new quarterback Tyler Wilson can't produce or get protection, it will be a long season in Fayetteville.

The situation is better on defense, where seven starters return.  The front seven is in good shape, with All-SEC linebacker Jerry Franklin anchoring an unit that ranked 36th nationally in total defense.  The line returns five players who made starters last season, but will need to improve their performance against the run.

For Arkansas, the greatest hurdle to overcome in 2011 is not a new quarterback, revamped offensive line or losses on defense.  It's their schedule.

They have to travel to their top two competitors in the SEC West, Alabama and LSU, and face off against Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi State and South Carolina.  That murderous slate will likely be too much for Arkansas to overcome.

hogs are apparently "PRETENDERS", yet georgia, notre dame and south carolina are all CONTENDERS??  ??? ??? ???

40YrHogFan

We'll know by the end of the Bama game

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

cashmoneyman_04

Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Auburn

That's the problem in comparing teams or ranking teams on an unequal schedule.  Arkansas is one of the best teams and even if we go 8-4 we should be ranked higher than many other 3, 2, and even a lot of 1 loss teams.

But voters reward scheduled wins more than real games.

And now 'writers' (bloggers, really) are doing the same thing, calling top-10 teams a pretender due to a difficult schedule and legitimizing weak(er) teams that have a watered-down schedule.

Also another reason to advocate for a playoff...

RollHogTide

Quote from: 40YrHogFan on June 29, 2011, 04:21:27 pm
We'll know by the end of the Bama game

I disagree - one game does not determine how good a team is or how bad they suck.

There are many intangibles and unexpected circumstances that cannot be measured or put on a white board with X's and O's. 

1. Luck (by far the most underrated characteristic of a season) - Folks can say what they want about we have the best this or that, but unless your team is lucky - they will lose when they should win and will never win when they should lose.  It has nothing to do with "bad officiating" it has a lot to do with catching a break.  See LSU - they are a very good team with an exceptional amount of luck.
2. Momentum - another highly underrated characteristic of a good season.  As much as this makes me sick - See Auburn after their win at Bama or even their shootout with Arkansas.  I knew at that point they would win the NC.
3. Attitude - does the team think they can win, or do they hope to win, or do they believe they will win?  Folks can say what they want about Bama - but, when our team takes the field - they expect to win and are expected to win (even if it takes a lot of #1).
4. Injuries and conditioning - What happens when the playmaker goes down - which he will at some point in time.  Does the team rally, does the team fold like a turd in a churn, do folks begin making excuses? 

Those are just a few - but, in addition to the 11 players on the field - without the first three and a lack of #4 - a team, regardless of how talented they are or how well they are coached - will not make a run at the BCSNCG.

Hawgndaaz

why do people even read that website?

beebefootballfan

Can't any nutt scratcher get a blog on Bleacher Report?
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

PorkSoda

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 29, 2011, 05:10:10 pm
Pretty much. Wish people would quit posting links to that site as if it was a real media site with real sports reporters.
exactly, feel free to post, but don't act like its anymore reliable than your average message board post.

That said, from an outsider's perspective, his points are valid and his skepticism has a solid basis.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.