Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss best recruiters in college football apparently

Started by hollywood hog, November 12, 2015, 02:53:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 42m42 minutes ago

Courtney Cronin Retweeted Royce Newman

Second commitment of the day for Ole Miss comes from 4-star Missouri commit Royce Newman. Story coming.

Royce Newman
‏@RoyceNewman4488

Happy to announce I'll be committing to Ole Miss! #HottyToddy

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mississippi Gridiron ‏@MSGRIDIRON 4m4 minutes ago

Ole Miss working on '17 target Cam Akers today with Hugh Freeze and Derrick Nix expected at Clinton HS.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 16, 2015, 12:28:22 pm
If Devin White suddenly decides to go there, that's when you'll know.

You still have doubt$...?  8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: KevinOMReb on December 16, 2015, 01:16:16 pm
If there was cheating going on, especially with the NCAA all over town with the Tunsil loaner car thing, it would have come out.  That's all I hear from the State people too (talk about a sorry class they're putting together...).  But it's dangerous to just blame "brown bags and couriers" when your opposition is outworking most in the conference.  They have this down to a science.  Bret is a fine coach, but he needs to surround himself with great recruiters and with a staff that stays together.

Wow! You sound just like an awbern fan...word for word.  8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: COCHISE on December 16, 2015, 01:45:28 pm
What do you not get? If Ole Miss was cheating this year, they would have been caught since the NCAA is still in town investigating their cheating last year. Come on man, sound logic.  ;D

Lawyer up! (Awbern set the example.)  8)

jbcarol

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 2h2 hours ago

How do Ole Miss' 2016 recruiting class targets, commits and signees fit into the Rebels' plan at LB next year? http://on.thec-l.com/1ROlPzq

QuoteAT A GLANCE

Coming back: DeMarquis Gates (Jr., 76 tackles, four pass break-ups), Terry Caldwell (Sr., 32 tackles, two fumbles forced), Temario Strong (Sr., 13 tackles, one fumble forced), Ray Ray Smith (Jr., eight tackles, one pass break-up), Tayler Polk (Jr., 14 tackles), Shawn Curtis (redshirt in 2015).

Already enrolled/committed: Enrolled — Donta Evans (3-star, No. 22 ILB, No. 596 player nationally, according to 247Sports Composite), Committed — David Luafatasaga (4-star, No. 2 JUCO OLB, No. 19 JUCO player overall), Tariqious Tisdale (3-star).

Targets: Mique Juarez (visited Nov. 21), Keith Simms, Brock Miller.

Priority (on a scale from 1-10): 8. Ole Miss lost its two starting linebackers in C.J. Johnson (middle linebacker) and Denzel Nkemdiche (outside linebacker), but may be set for two seasons with junior DeMarquis Gates at Nkemdiche's old position. Gates finished with a team-high 76 tackles despite Nkemdiche starting for much of the 2015 season.

jbcarol

Recruiting analysis: Ole Miss wide receivers

QuoteComing back: Quincy Adeboyejo (Sr., 604 receiving yards, 7 TDs), Damore'ea Stringfellow (Rs-Jr., 503 yards, 5 TDs), Markell Pack (Jr., 31 catches, 380 receiving yards), Derrick Jones (Sr., 6 catches, 120 yards), Damarkus Lodge (So., 1 catch, 1 TD), Van Jefferson (Rs-Fr., redshirted in 2015).

Already committed:D.K. Metcalf (4-star, No. 18 wide receiver, No. 112 player overall, according to 247Sports Composite); Tre Nixon (4-star).

Targets: A.J. Brown (visits Jan. 29), Quartney Davis (visited Jan. 22), Mykel Jones (visits Jan. 29).

Priority (on a scale from 1-10): 7. Ole Miss lost perhaps the best wide receiver in program history when Laquon Treadwell declared for the NFL draft, but the Rebels are also graduating a solid contributor in Cody Core, who finished second on the team in receiving yards behind Treadwell.

jbcarol

■Tariqious Bernard□■ ‏@_Tisdalekid_22  1h1 hour ago Oxford, MS
All you haters Out there... Bring It!! 🔴🔵💯😈 #Hottytoddy

Lexington, TN 3-star DE and long-time commit

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 11m11 minutes ago

AMRT | Here are a few notes on AJ Brown, Kobe Jones, Jeffery Simmons, D'Vaughn Pennamon and more: http://on.thec-l.com/1SlaS8R

QuoteWith three days until national signing day, five of Mississippi's top-10 ranked players in The Clarion-Ledger's Targeted 22 remain uncommitted.

A.J. Brown, Wide receiver, Starkville

In lead: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Cal

Up next: Will announce his decision on Wednesday.

Buzz: Four-star wide receiver A.J. Brown lives a few miles from Mississippi State, but that doesn't mean he's feeling any pressure to stay close to home.

The Dandy Dozen wide receiver was expected to meet with Mississippi State's baseball and football staffs last week but reportedly did not make the trip to campus. While the Bulldogs momentum has waned in recent weeks, Alabama was considered the favorite to land the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder. But Brown's visit to Ole Miss and the Rebels push to close out their crop at slot receiver with the Starkville native has put some of that confidence from the Crimson Tide in question.

Nigel Knott, Cornerback, Germantown

In lead: Alabama, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Oregon

Up next: A commitment as early as Monday or later in the week.

Buzz: Four-star cornerback Nigel Knott holds family connections to three of the four schools he's picking between when he makes his announcement this week.

He was born in Oxford, his father and godfather played football at Ole Miss and his mother attended Ole Miss. His sister Deja Givens is a junior on the Mississippi State women's track and field team. His father, David Knott, lives closest to Alabama.

"Honestly, to me, I think Alabama, Mississippi State and Ole Miss were all the same to him," said Sabrina Givens, Nigel's mother. "We're all close, a family. I'm thinking that he's really torn between all three. I'm content if it's one of the three."

Knott has also been considering Oregon...

D'Vaughn Pennamon, Running back, Manvel (Texas)

In lead: Ole Miss (committed), Alabama, Texas A&M

Up next: Solidify his final decision on a commitment Monday.

Buzz: Pennamon committed to Ole Miss over the summer but has wavered the past few weeks. He made official visits to Alabama and Texas A&M over the prior two weekends and spoke with Texas A&M during his free time while on his official visit to Ole Miss over the weekend.

The Manvel (Texas) senior plans to affirm his commitment to Ole Miss or his decision to flip to another school on Twitter on Monday.

Pennamon enjoyed his official visit to Ole Miss, receiving an opportunity to spend time with fellow Ole Miss running back commit Jarrion Street. However, Pennamon said his feelings toward Ole Miss didn't change following his visit...

Jeffery Simmons, Defensive end, Noxubee County

In lead: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Tennessee

Up next: Will make his decision by Tuesday, announce Wednesday.

Buzz: Five-star defensive end Jeffery Simmons is looking for a place that feels like home, and his official visit over the weekend should give Ole Miss some positive vibes.

"Ole Miss feels like home," he said. "Like I said, everywhere I've been, I'm loving it. I really like Ole Miss, too. The guys that I hung out with just kept saying that, 'It's home.' For a Mississippi guy, it's home. If I did choose to come here, it would be a great fit."

The defensive end plans to speak with his high school coach Sunday night and Monday before finalizing his decision Tuesday. He will then announce on Wednesday morning, a ceremony that will be broadcast on the internet.

Simmons' host this weekend was five-star defensive tackle Benito Jones, who enrolled early at Ole Miss. Simmons, who has Alabama, Mississippi State and Tennessee along with the Rebels in his top group, also had an opportunity to spend time with wide receiver commit D.K. Metcalf.

Kobe Jones, Defensive tackle, Starkville

In lead: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama

Up next: A commitment on Wednesday.

Buzz: In the last seven days, Jones has been on four official visits to Alabama, Miami, Missouri and Ole Miss. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive tackle met with Mississippi State before heading to Oxford and remains one of the top uncommitted prospects in the state.

jbcarol

Yancy Porter ‏@YancyPorter 3h3 hours ago Oxford, MS

Expect #OleMiss to ink 4-Star RB D'Vaughn Pennamon @mavnation_blu tomorrow.

jbcarol

Tre Nixon@tre_nixon1

It's official, papers are in, blessed to be an Ole Miss rebel!!📄🖊 #HottyToddy

Dixie Carter Verified account
‏@TNADixie

@tre_nixon1 Excited to have you. Welcome to the family. #hottytoddy ❤️💙

4:13 AM - 3 Feb 2016

jbcarol

Jack Frost ❄️
⛄️ ‏@mavnation_blu 7m7 minutes ago

It's official I am a OleMiss Rebel #HottyToddy #Rebels

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 3m3 minutes ago

Daniel Paulling Retweeted Jack Frost
❄️

⛄️

Straight from Pennamon himself

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 5m5 minutes ago

Rebels lose four-star CB Shyheim Carter to Alabama: http://on.thec-l.com/1X3dR4R

QuoteFour-star cornerback Shyheim Carter committed to Alabama over the Rebels. The Kentwood (Louisiana) senior appeared to be a likely option for the Rebels' 2016 recruiting class after the Rebels lost out on four-star cornerback Nigel Knott, who committed to Alabama and an Ole Miss legacy.

Carter made official visits to Alabama, Miami and Ole Miss, the three schools in his top group, last month. He also held offers from Baylor, Clemson and Georgia, among others.

dhizzle

I hope ole miss loses more recruits. Looks like bamer is making a move for number recruiting class again. The rich keep getting richer.

ChicoHog

They just got ESPN #1 safety out of Texas.  I just don't get it.  How are they pulling guys from Texas now? 

Cubbie08

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 03, 2016, 10:01:23 am
They just got ESPN #1 safety out of Texas.  I just don't get it.  How are they pulling guys from Texas now? 

They are cheating.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 03, 2016, 10:01:23 am

Inb4 you get attacked by the righteous...

The Hogfather

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 03, 2016, 10:52:20 am
Not really hard to understand, unless you are really naïve.

I agree... I don't get how So many "Hog Fans" defend them.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 49m49 minutes ago

First, there was stunned silence, and then there was a mass exodus from Ole Miss' war room after Jeffery Simmons announced for Miss. State.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 17h17 hours ago Oxford, MS

Ole Miss' final recruiting board for the 2016 class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 2h2 hours ago

Ole Miss came up a little short in the DL and at LB. Rebels will be on the lookout for a post-graduate transfer at both positions.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 11m11 minutes ago

Recapping Ole Miss' national signing day http://es.pn/1Q9rZUt

QuoteBiggest need heading into signing day: With franchise left tackle Laremy Tunsil and three other starters along the offensive line gone, Freeze and Co. had to strike gold here.

How it was addressed: You could say that Ole Miss' staff did a pretty good job of getting some guys for the present and future along the offensive line. The star of the group is the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle in Gregory Little, who could come in and immediately take over for Tunsil. He could also find himself in the same rotation as ESPN 300 offensive guard Chandler Tuitt. Ole Miss signed six offensive linemen --

Rebels needed help at linebacker, but left signing day with just two commitments, with three-star Tariqious Tisdale possibly converting to defensive end. Inside linebacker Donta Evans could be a sleeper of sorts, but Ole Miss needed a lot more help than what they got here. The staff really took a hit when No. 4 outside linebacker Mique Juarez chose UCLA...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on May 28, 2016, 09:27:48 pm

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/736293375909859328

This is going to get very interesting.  If the NCAA does what it should & drops the hammer on Ole Cheat,  anxious to see how many of their Feb 2016 signee's bail out.  :)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Dustin Dopirak
‏@TennesseeBeat

Freeze said he doesn't know that he'll ever change the narrative that people believe Ole Miss buys players.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KevinScarbinsky/status/737760321528532992

QuoteScarblog: How did Hugh Freeze succeed where so many other Ole Miss football coaches failed? How did he lift the Rebels to the point where they could beat Alabama twice in two years and win a Sugar Bowl?

NCAA believes it knows one ingredient in the formula, charging that Ole Miss turned its fortunes around, at least in some small part, by turning to some of the oldest tricks in the college football playbook.

In multiple media interviews in recent days, Freeze has drawn a line in the sand between "making mistakes and cheating."

Ole Miss has self-imposed penalties, including scholarship reductions, but the NCAA ultimately will decide on which side of that line the Rebels fall.

If Ole Miss did indeed hand out extra benefits, it pales next to Baylor ignoring or enabling violent misconduct, but the motivation at each school, for its staff members or its supporters or anyone who crossed the line, isn't all that different.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/743980427078209536

Quote...it was unclear [a few weeks ago] what impact — if any — the release of the NCAA notice of allegations last month along with the response from Ole Miss had on the Rebels' recruiting.

Then Willie Gay provided some clarity on Friday.

The Starkville 2017 four-star linebacker verbally committed to Ole Miss becoming the fourth player this week to announce a pledge to the Rebels and the fifth since the NOA was released.

Oxford defensive back Devin Rockette, Washington School offensive lineman Lavante Epson and Louisiana linebacker Josh Clarke were the others to commit this week. Virginia quarterback Alex Faniel committed on June 2.

The Rebels needed Gay's commitment the most, though. Despite playing at Starkville, Gay's future destination has long been considered to be Oxford. If Gay were to have chosen Mississippi State or a different school (gasp!), it would have been a significant blow for Ole Miss.

Instead, Gay's commitment proved that right now the Rebels' situation with the alleged recruiting violations means little.

Things can certainly change because the NCAA can accept or add to the school's self-imposed punishments and national signing day is still more than seven months away, but...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/761698400203145216

QuoteOXFORD - Justin Connor met with his mother, a few other family members and North Panola coach Carl Duffee for 90 minutes Friday afternoon as he wrestled with a difficult decision: stay at Ole Miss for a semester waiting for a scholarship or play elsewhere on one this fall.

Connor decided to leave Ole Miss, where he took summer classes and had been committed to since August 2013, for East Mississippi Community College. He said he was told this week he would be grayshirted this fall, meaning he'd have to pay for classes on his own.

"It's a real bad feeling, man," Connor said. "I can't even describe it. But everything happens for a reason, and life ain't fair all the time. I've just got to deal with it."

Connor signed with Ole Miss in February as the No. 14 running back and No. 324 player overall, according to 247Sports' Composite Rating. The Rebels had planned to use him as a cornerback after he played both offense and defense at North Panola.

"We think he probably needs a year or two to develop," coach Hugh Freeze said on national signing day, "but the guy can run and change direction and is really athletic and is another Mississippi kid that decided to stay home."

jbcarol

Freeze: 2016 could be best recruiting class yet

QuoteOle Miss 2013 recruiting class featured four five-star recruits and three players who have already been chosen in the first round of the NFL draft.

Coach Hugh Freeze believes the team's 2016 class could be even better.

"We've had some good classes, but I really think from top to bottom this 2016 class looks, after two days, for whatever that's worth, I haven't been disappointed," Freeze said. "They're good kids, and they're obviously talented. But I think this could be our best class from just two days of being out there."

The 2013 class had more star power with Robert Nkemdiche (the No. 1 player in the country), Laremy Tunsil (No. 4), Laquon Treadwell (No. 14) and Tony Conner (No. 32) than the 2016 class, which included Greg Little (No. 3), Shea Patterson (No. 4) and Benito Jones (No. 24).

But the 2016 class featured 12 four-star recruits to the 2013 class' seven...

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/763001983519391744

Dropkick

I have a hard time believing anything Freeze says.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/WillSammon/status/791019517711380484

QuoteOle Miss has lost two of its top three commits for 2017 in the last two days.

One day after Starkville four-star linebacker Willie Gay announced his decommitment from Ole Miss, three-star defensive end Bryan Jones from Madison Prep Academy in Baton Rouge posted on Twitter Tuesday that he is also no longer committed to the Rebels.

Gay, the top-ranked defensive prospect in Mississippi, was the second-highest rated commit for the Rebels, according to the 247Sports Composite. When he decommitted, Jones took that spot. Without Jones, three-star Jamar Richardson out of Aliceville (Ala.) is now No. 2 behind Morton four-star wide receiver D.D. Bowie.

Jones picked up an offer from Oklahoma soon after announcing his decommitment. He now has 31 offers to play at the next level, including ones from Arkansas and, of course, Baylor.

The lingering NCAA investigation has had a chilling effect on how some recruits view Ole Miss.

Without Jones, Ole Miss is down to only 10 commits for 2017. Ole Miss is ranked ahead of only Missouri and Vanderbilt in the SEC in recruiting team rankings by 247Sports. The Rebels, who were ranked fifth nationally in recruiting last year, have not added a commitment since early August.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/798016786599964672

QuoteJones County Junior College product announced via Twitter that he was de-committing from Ole Miss, saying that he will "have to see what's best for me and my family."

Winters is rated as a 4-star defensive end by 247Sports, but grades out as just a 3-star prospect in the 2017 247Sports composite rankings. He is rated as the 27th-best JUCO player in the Class of 2017.

Since the beginning of November, 247Sports reports that the 6-foot-4, 260-pound prospect has received offers from Arizona State, Mississippi State and Auburn.

The departure of Winters, who is from Tallahassee, Fla., leaves the Rebels with just 10 commitments for the Class of 2017.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/807779453275344896

QuoteTa'amu is rated as the No. 3 dual-threat JUCO QB in the nation and a three-star

Ta'amu attends the New Mexico Military Institute and hails from Roswell

jbcarol

Robby Donoho ‏@RobbyDonoho Dec 27

I waited a shorter amount of time for CBS to unveil the NCAA Tournament brackets than Cam to commit.
That's when you know it's too long.

Josh Newberg ‏@joshnewberg247 Dec 27

BREAKING: Cam Akers, the No.1 RB in America has committed to Florida State

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-5-Star-RB-Cam-Akers-commits-to-Florida-State-50055482 ...

John Davis ‏@oxfordcitizenjd Dec 27

2016 can't come to an end soon enough for Ole Miss football after tonight. Following the win in the Sugar Bowl, its been downer for sure.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen 11h11 hours ago

ICYM: #OleMiss landed a commitment from JUCO DT Larrell Murchison on Thursday.

Not rated on the 247 composite

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/817927825680400385

Quote3-star wide receiver RJ Sneed announced that he would be decommitting from the Rebels and committing to Baylor. Sneed's decommitment comes after the Rebels lost wide receivers coach Matt Lubick to Baylor as well. Lubick will be the Bears co-offensive coordinator.