Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 24, 2017, 09:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 14, 2017, 07:41:07 pm
it would appear to me that since Koch needs a break every now and then, we could work in some extra at bats occasionally that way as well.  Bonfield could use a rest every now and then too, and especially when we could use another left handed bat in the lineup.  We will just have to see how it goes.  DVH will have his usually tendency to stick with experience, but then he also occasionally goes with who is hot.  Should be an interesting year.  Kinney probably plays third most of the time if his batting continues to progress.
DVH indicated in his postseason PC that Gates is pretty much locked in at 3B for next year. Don't remember him mentioning Kenley much at all except to talk about his defensive versatility.  I think DVH had an INF of Gates (3B), Biggers (SS), and McFarland (1B) before the draft with a question mark at 2B. Don't think there is a question mark at 2B anymore.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 14, 2017, 07:40:29 pm
Don't forget Knight is another top 200 draft guy this year and he is coming back.

Yes, I am most excited about Knight of everybody, but was just talking about from a recruiting standpoint - if Arkansas has ever landed so many top MLB prospects?

Also, are there undrafted free agents like in the NFL?  Is there still a possibility of Shaddy trying out for a team somewhere?
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 14, 2017, 07:45:29 pm
DVH indicated in his postseason PC that Gates is pretty much locked in at 3B for next year. Don't remember him mentioning Kenley much at all except to talk about his defensive versatility.  I think DVH had an INF of Gates (3B), Biggers (SS), and McFarland (1B) before the draft with a question mark at 2B. Don't think there is a question mark at 2B anymore.

Does Shaddy start at 2nd next year? Like 100% set in stone if he comes back?  I kind of feel like it could be up the air, especially if Bonnin or Turney are hitting the ball extremely well in the fall and could slide in at 2nd? No, maybe?  I have no clue haha.

Let me note that Shaddy is one of my favorite players on the team and I love what he stands for, but he did accumulate quite a few errors last year (they were early on and he seemed to settle in as the year progressed).

Also, does anyone know if DVH does a press conference soon after the draft?  I would love to hear him speak on a lot of the upcoming players.
SCREW Vandy!

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 07:46:53 pm
Yes, I am most excited about Knight of everybody, but was just talking about from a recruiting standpoint - if Arkansas has ever landed so many top MLB prospects?

Also, are there undrafted free agents like in the NFL?  Is there still a possibility of Shaddy trying out for a team somewhere?
Yeah, Shaddy could sign as an undrafted FA, but it is highly unlikely.

The 2014 class had some good ones. Bonfield and McKinney were the jewels of the class, but it was ranked #1 by PG for a reason. A lot of players didn't pan on for one reason or another.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 07:48:49 pm
Does Shaddy start at 2nd next year? Like 100% set in stone if he comes back?  I kind of feel like it could be up the air, especially if Bonnin or Turney are hitting the ball extremely well in the fall and could slide in at 2nd? No, maybe?  I have no clue haha.

Let me note that Shaddy is one of my favorite players on the team and I love what he stands for, but he did accumulate quite a few errors last year (they were early on and he seemed to settle in as the year progressed).

Also, does anyone know if DVH does a press conference soon after the draft?  I would love to hear him speak on a lot of the upcoming players.
Turney is LH. He would only start at 1B on the INF.  Shaddy brings a lot of experience and wasn't that bad last year. He struggled mightily at the end at the plate, but at his best, he could be a .330+ hitter with 10+ HRs and would probably be down in the 7/8 hole in the lineup.  Shaddy actually turned out to be a solid defender by the end of the year and even more practice will do well for him.

Hogs49ers

After what Benintendi did and is doing as a power lefty, do y'all think the Hogs getting Fletcher and now more likely Turney to the Hill is coincidence? I think not...
SCREW Vandy!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 08:30:38 pm
After what Benintendi did and is doing as a power lefty, do y'all think the Hogs getting Fletcher and now more likely Turney to the Hill is coincidence? I think not...
I think that and that they likely highlight the fact that they moved the right field fence in. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

lakecityhog

What about McKinney? Is there any chance that he pitches for us next season??

The_Iceman

TebowHater

Quote from: lakecityhog on June 14, 2017, 08:38:52 pm
What about McKinney? Is there any chance that he pitches for us next season??

DVH said it's 50-50.

colbs

I'm pumped!  Already can't wait till next season.   

flippinhogmana

June 14, 2017, 09:10:32 pm #361 Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:50:00 am by flippinhogmana

actually I hadn't updated my thinking to the possibility that Shaddy might be back.  I was thinking maybe Gates moves to 2nd because Kinney is the better third baseman, if he had hit.  But if Shaddy comes back, and Gates hits like he did this year and is healthy all year, then he probably will play 3rd (especially since DVH likes him there, although he has found his way into DVH's doghouse a time or too)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Kevin

Can lee or bonfield learn to play first

Plus, do we have enough scholarship money for everyone?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razrpig256

Shaddy just announced on Twitter he is coming back!

Hogs49ers

WFPS!  I absolutely love Shaddy! I hate this for him, but this is a huge opportunity for him to come back and really focus on his all around game with no school to worry about!  I really think could work out really well for him and he deserves it.
SCREW Vandy!

TebowHater

Quote from: Kevin on June 14, 2017, 09:11:34 pm

These are good questions. I am guessing there are going to be some good players who leave simply because we have players who are better (or who should be better). I'm prepared for the sting of that. For example, DVH loves Hunter Wilson and thinks he's a player, but not sure where he finds his way on to the field now. Matt Burch probably going to be gone. Jaxon Williams strong possibility. Though he isn't going to be leaving, I am also not convinced that Gates spot is even secure as we think it might be (assuming Shaddy comes back). Unlikely, but wonder if DVH would almost go ahead and encourage Shaddy to leave (if we were going to lose 3-4 years of another player due to transfer by virtue of not having Shaddy's scholarship). This would definitely be a stretch, as I think he underperformed this year and could be very good (which DVH also seems to think).

Who are you DHing over Bonfield and could that person play 1B?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 14, 2017, 09:11:34 pm

I think Lee would be in the mold of a Evan White 1B that is extremely athletic, but I doubt he plays 1B.  Bonfield is probably a DH as you probably prioritize McFarland or Turney at 1B.

We will see several freshmen transfer out IMO and go the JUCO route.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 09:27:06 pm
WFPS!  I absolutely love Shaddy! I hate this for him, but this is a huge opportunity for him to come back and really focus on his all around game with no school to worry about!  I really think could work out really well for him and he deserves it.

He does have to be in school to play, you know?

Hogs49ers

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on June 14, 2017, 09:34:35 pm
He does have to be in school to play, you know?

So will he just take a couple screw off classes or start his masters since he just got his degree?
SCREW Vandy!

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 09:36:11 pm
So will he just take a couple screw off classes or start his masters since he just got his degree?

I believe you have to carry the minimum full time student load of 12 hours.  I'm sure he'll start work on his Masters.

TebowHater

June 14, 2017, 09:52:39 pm #370 Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:23:55 pm by TebowHater
Wow wow wow wow it happened. Our whole team sans Stephan and Spanberger is back + the greatest recruiting class ever in terms of making it to campus. Please no motorcycle wrecks, we are locked and loaded.

SPAL

That may close the door on Jaxon Williams

TebowHater

I now wish baseball was a game of depth (fielders/hitters wise in addition to pitching)! Our two-deep has got to be the best in the country.

Scott7703

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 14, 2017, 09:56:35 pm
That may close the door on Jaxon Williams

Is one year of Shaddy better than 3 years of Jaxon Williams. College baseball isn't a four year players game. I'm sure glad I'm not dVh because there are some tough, not so fun decisions on the horizon.

Razrpig256

Now that we pretty much know who will be here next year, which returning players do you see as the most likely to transfer? I would think at least one or two of Kenley/Burch/Wilson/Williams will likely leave. Pitching-wise, I haven't heard anything about Dahl in a long time. I could see some subset of Dahl, Denton, Loseke, Rogers, Kostyshock, and Heiss moving on, with the last two being the least likely.

TebowHater

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 14, 2017, 10:07:24 pm

Is one year of Shaddy better than 3 years of Jaxon Williams. College baseball isn't a four year players game. I'm sure glad I'm not dVh because there are some tough, not so fun decisions on the horizon.

Have been thinking the same thing.

Also hope that Bonfield and Shaddy being back doesn't make any of the HS guys reconsider going ahead and going pro. It shouldn't, but sure hope it doesn't.

Pig Papi

Quote from: TebowHater on June 14, 2017, 09:58:57 pm
I now wish baseball was a game of depth (fielders/hitters wise in addition to pitching)! Our two-deep has got to be the best in the country.

It is a game of depth, at least at the championship level.

Think about it.  Grant Koch had virtually no help and could argue his late season performance suffered because of it.  Our bullpen was not consistent which was huge factor this year.  You have to say both of those areas should be much improved.

hog47

hogman64

Bonfield and Shaddy it seems to me need to make their number 1 priority  gaining discipline at the plate.  both expand the zone of what they will swing at way to much.  with the plate discipline they have now neither have a chance to make it to AA, if they can succeed in becoming more disciplined hitters both  can raise their average by 30 points or more.

jry04

DVH said Burch or Kenley at 2nd. That was before Shaddy announced he would be returning, though.
Quote from: Razrpig256 on June 14, 2017, 10:11:19 pm
Now that we pretty much know who will be here next year, which returning players do you see as the most likely to transfer? I would think at least one or two of Kenley/Burch/Wilson/Williams will likely leave. Pitching-wise, I haven't heard anything about Dahl in a long time. I could see some subset of Dahl, Denton, Loseke, Rogers, Kostyshock, and Heiss moving on, with the last two being the least likely.
My guess is Williams, Dahl, Denton, Loseke, Rogers. I don't think Heiss leaves unless he wants to. He has electric stuff, and was one of the top recruits we got in our class last year. He seems to have control issue, but can touch mid 90s. The other guys may not have a choice but to leave. We will know a lot more after the summer. DVH said himself he will see what these guys do in the summer, but if they can't get guys out wherever they are playing then Arkansas isn't for them/

TebowHater

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 10:31:38 pm
It is a game of depth, at least at the championship level.

Think about it.  Grant Koch had virtually no help and could argue his late season performance suffered because of it.  Our bullpen was not consistent which was huge factor this year.  You have to say both of those areas should be much improved.

I would argue Catcher is the only field position where depth matters, which you are totally correct on. Pitching of course it is that's why I prefaced fielders/hitters depth.

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 14, 2017, 10:07:24 pm

I have been the hardest on Shaddy out of anyone I think, but Shaddy next year is better than Williams next year. Therefore, if we lose Williams, we only lose 2 years of Williams max. We have good recruiting classes, so I think we will be fine going forward after Shaddy.

The team we have returning next year could be special. I am good for going all in with upperclassmen to give us our best chance at winning a championship. Shaddy isn't great by any means, but you know what we will get with him at the plate, and it makes our lineup that much more dangerous. Next year's team, barring a disaster, should be a lock to host and probably push for a national seed. Aaron Fitt said last night we will be a top 10 team, so it isn't just homers talking.
Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2017, 07:40:15 am
I would argue Catcher is the only field position where depth matters, which you are totally correct on. Pitching of course it is that's why I prefaced fielders/hitters depth.
All it takes is 1 foul ball, hbp, or funny slide to lose a guy for an extended amount of time. Having someone behind your starter is crucial. Then you throw in having multiple quality infielders as a benefit. You can pinch run for Gates late to add speed, but actually upgrade in the field. A lot of teams may not have that luxury.

PigWig

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 07:32:23 am
I don't think Heiss leaves unless he wants to. He has electric stuff, and was one of the top recruits we got in our class last year. He seems to have control issue, but can touch mid 90s. The other guys may not have a choice but to leave. We will know a lot more after the summer. DVH said himself he will see what these guys do in the summer, but if they can't get guys out wherever they are playing then Arkansas isn't for them/
I would say there is a decent chance Heiss is our closer next year, although Bonnin and Rutledge could get in the mix as well. 

Kevin

I will be in the minority on here, who was ready for some new blood at 2nd base.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 08:15:19 am
I will be in the minority on here, who was ready for some new blood at 2nd base.
I definitely understand that. I screamed for the longest time that he should DH. I will say, as the season went on he settled in much more. He made a lot more plays than I expected later in the season. He is also a leader of the team. Having the veterans who have been through the fire like Knight, Bonfield, Shaddy, Cole, and Koch will be huge next year. I know some who were hoping he would get drafted just so Williams or Kenley would get an opportunity. With that being said, I accepted the fact Shaddy was returning before the season even started. Not because I had inside information, but because it was obvious he had zero shot of being drafted. When DVH refused to DH Shaddy early in the season I just accepted the fact we had through 2018 of him playing second. I went from disappointed to kind of excited with how he fielded the ball later in the year, though.

Kevin

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 08:23:04 am
I definitely understand that. I screamed for the longest time that he should DH. I will say, as the season went on he settled in much more. He made a lot more plays than I expected later in the season. He is also a leader of the team. Having the veterans who have been through the fire like Knight, Bonfield, Shaddy, Cole, and Koch will be huge next year. I know some who were hoping he would get drafted just so Williams or Kenley would get an opportunity. With that being said, I accepted the fact Shaddy was returning before the season even started. Not because I had inside information, but because it was obvious he had zero shot of being drafted. When DVH refused to DH Shaddy early in the season I just accepted the fact we had through 2018 of him playing second. I went from disappointed to kind of excited with how he fielded the ball later in the year, though.

as one person already said, as a 5th year senior, will he learn plate discipline?  his fielding is what it is, but his bat was not as good as advertised.

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 08:29:22 am
as one person already said, as a 5th year senior, will he learn plate discipline?  his fielding is what it is, but his bat was not as good as advertised.

Let's be fair here, though. He slumped to end the year, no doubt. However, look at his career.

2017: .279 batting avg, 8 HR, 40 RBI, .450 slg%, .383 ob%
2016: .332 avg (lead the team), 8 HR, 35 RBI, .521 slg%, .400 ob%
2015: .337 avg, 3 HR, 10 RBI, .517 slg%, .427 ob%

Every player slumps, some have down years, but he has 2 other seasons that prove he is capable of raking. His 2015 season he did not have as many ABs, but in 2016 he put up some pretty good numbers. Even last season, it was a down year and he still hit .279 with 8 HRs. I personally believe this down year motivates Carson, and returns to a .300 hitter with 8-10 HRs again. I am not sure there is another player on our roster that can play 2b and produce at the plate like he has potential of doing. He has a tendency to swing at a lot of junk, I agree, and I do not think that will change. However, I think adding a 5th year senior who has played in Omaha and has potential to hit well over .300 is huge for an already loaded lineup.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 13, 2017, 05:28:34 pm

June 13th:

Chad Spanberger , a junior first baseman from the University of Arkansas, was selected by the Colorado Rockies with pick #167 of the 6th round.

Rockies 2017 Bonus Pool: $4.62M
Slot Value of pick: $260,200
Signed for:
He could be drafted in the first 3 rounds if he were to return and continue on the pace he was going.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pig Papi

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 08:36:33 am
Let's be fair here, though. He slumped to end the year, no doubt. However, look at his career.

Every player slumps, some have down years, but he has 2 other seasons that prove he is capable of raking. His 2015 season he did not have as many ABs, but in 2016 he put up some pretty good numbers. Even last season, it was a down year and he still hit .279 with 8 HRs. I personally believe this down year motivates Carson, and returns to a .300 hitter with 8-10 HRs again. I am not sure there is another player on our roster that can play 2b and produce at the plate like he has potential of doing. He has a tendency to swing at a lot of junk, I agree, and I do not think that will change. However, I think adding a 5th year senior who has played in Omaha and has potential to hit well over .300 is huge for an already loaded lineup.

Yes, if Shaddy is our question mark next year then we are in very good shape.

Kevin

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 08:36:33 am

there are just players I get tired of after awhile. unfortunately, he is one of them, part of it is listening to what dvh says about certain players.

just hate to see a guy who might be more talented, leave.  fletcher just hit for a higher average than shaddy, so a new guy could put up equal to or better numbers.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 08:58:16 am
there are just players I get tired of after awhile. unfortunately, he is one of them, part of it is listening to what dvh says about certain players.

just hate to see a guy who might be more talented, leave.  fletcher just hit for a higher average than shaddy, so a new guy could put up equal to or better numbers.
I love you Kevin, but this is your perennial condition. Tired of certain players and constantly unimpressed.
I'm sorry but career .300, 8+ hr, career .400+ obp is better than unknown all day every day.

Kevin

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 15, 2017, 09:08:37 am
I love you Kevin, but this is your perennial condition. Tired of certain players and constantly unimpressed.
I'm sorry but career .300, 8+ hr, career .400+ obp is better than unknown all day every day.

I am not constantly unimpressed
very impressed:
lee
Cronin
biggers
fletcher
cole
Koch-especially if we can keep him fresh
kopps
murphy-last 2 starts
riendl

plus, that is why I said, I would be in the minority.

he will be wearing a hog uniform, I will root for him.

TebowHater

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 09:15:38 am
very impressed:
lee
Cronin
biggers
fletcher
cole
kopps
murphy-last 2 starts
riendl

Ditto everything. EspecialLEE (the rest all played a lot and were great obviously)

I am glad he's back though. Just hope DVH doesn't play him if we do actually have a better hitter ready (which I don't expect)

jry04

June 15, 2017, 09:25:59 am #393 Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:37:04 am by jry04
Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 08:58:16 am

Fletcher was also a highly recruited player at his position and could have been taken early in the draft out of high school. What infielder are we getting that is expected to make an immediate impact? I suppose you could argue Bonnin, but I think he will be a pitcher considering he is a pitching prospect for the MLB. Fletcher is drawing comparisons to Benintendi, so he is one of those special players. Sure, someone could come in and hit better than Shaddy. However, I think when you have 2 of our 3 seasons with Shaddy hitting over .300, there is a better chance Shaddy hits over .300 next year than he hits below .280 again. I am not sure we have any infielders coming in who will hit close to or above .300 at 2b along with 8+ HRs, but I could be wrong. I honestly never thought I would defend him on here either, so this is a first.

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2017, 09:22:46 am
Ditto everything. EspecialLEE (the rest all played a lot and were great obviously)

I am glad he's back though. Just hope DVH doesn't play him if we do actually have a better hitter ready (which I don't expect)
Shaddy isn't coming back to sit. If DVH didn't DH Shaddy when he was committing an error after 3rd game this year early in the season, then he definitely isn't sitting him as a senior unless it gets really bad.

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 09:38:32 am
Shaddy isn't coming back to sit. If DVH didn't DH Shaddy when he was committing an error after 3rd game this year early in the season, then he definitely isn't sitting him as a senior unless it gets really bad.

Shaddy's alternative was to not play baseball anymore (sure, he could have tried to sign as FA). You don't pay favors at the D1 level. Shaddy has always played because he was one of our best hitters. I suspect that will continue to be the case; but if he is not, then his spot cannot be assumed to be secure.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 09:15:38 am
very impressed:
lee
Cronin
biggers
fletcher
cole
kopps
murphy-last 2 starts
riendl

I say constantly unimpressed, I mean more often than not your first post is to bring up a negative or what you perceive as a negative.

I don't think it is a bad thing, we are who we are.I know I am constantly over optimistic.

ThisTeetsTaken

I'll be surprised if Shaddy comes back and doesn't have his best year.   This will literally be it for him so I expect him to be locked in like never before trying to get drafted. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 15, 2017, 09:49:05 am
I'll be surprised if Shaddy comes back and doesn't have his best year.   This will literally be it for him so I expect him to be locked in like never before trying to get drafted.
I like this take.  If anything, Shaddy's passion for being a razorback along with some veteran leadership will be huge for the team.  He will produce offensively.  As long as he isn't a huge liability defensively (I don't think he will be), he will be a starter just about every game.

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2017, 09:40:35 am
Shaddy's alternative was to not play baseball anymore (sure, he could have tried to sign as FA). You don't pay favors at the D1 level. Shaddy has always played because he was one of our best hitters. I suspect that will continue to be the case; but if he is not, then his spot cannot be assumed to be secure.
I am sure most won't admit it, but Shaddy definitely gets a bit of preferential treatment, though. His dad and DVH played together. Early in the season Cole and Spanberger were hitting in the low .200s or high .100s and Bonfield was playing in the field. The DH spot was definitely open, and Williams was coming up with big hits and hitting over .300 at the time. Shaddy was leading the SEC in errors, but continued to play in the field. Maybe he felt there were no better options, but he didn't even try to DH Shaddy, he was playing in the field no matter what. I say Shaddy isn't sitting next year, because I cannot imagine him going through another stretch as bad as he went through this year when he was still in our every day lineup. Even last year he played every day in the field despite having multiple errors at 3 different positions. You say we cannot play favorites, but I would argue Shaddy, Alberius, and Chadwick have had a much longer leash than most. Chadwick was a go to pitcher in big situations despite failing to deliver in them time after time late in the season. Alberiuis finished his year with some solid outings, but go check his results when he inherited runners on base. He gave up a hit to score a run I believe the last 5 times he inherited a runner on base this season, with 4 of the 5 being to the first batter he faced. Maybe it isn't playing favorites, but DVH definitely has some guys he "overly trusts" and others that have 1 bad outing and remain in the dog house all season.
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 15, 2017, 09:49:05 am
This is my thinking, as well.