Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 24, 2017, 09:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 04:06:13 pm
I want all the best for our signees but as a Hog fan I would trade Knight for Tillo and Bonfield for Smith all day when it comes to next season. 

i wouldn't i prefer the known to the unknown.  If Knight and Bonfield simply repeat the years they just had it will be amazing for our team.  I really like how this draft has gone so far hopefully no crazy surprises.

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:08:56 pm
You mean "likely doesn't sign."
Sorry, yes. Good catch. Multi-tasking.

311Hog

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 14, 2017, 04:10:38 pm
You read my statement backwards (or maybe I wrote it backwards).  For 2018....

Knight and Bonfield > Tillo and Smith

I misread it to aswell then my apologies.

JonClaudeVanHam

1. Biggers SS
2. Cole RF
3. Bonfield DH
4. Koch C
5. Fletcher CF
6. Gates 3B
7. Turney LF
8. McFarland 1B
9. Williams 2B

Fri - Knight
Sat - Murphy
Sun - Campbell

Bullpen: Heiss, Reindl, Cronin, etc.

Just a loose projection, but wow.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:18:09 pm
1. Biggers SS
2. Cole RF
3. Bonfield DH
4. Koch C
5. Fletcher CF
6. Gates 3B
7. Turney LF
8. McFarland 1B
9. Williams 2B

Fri - Knight
Sat - Murphy
Sun - Campbell

Bullpen: Heiss, Reindl, Cronin, etc.

Just a loose projection, but wow.
And if Shaddy returns instead of moving on with his life you can plug him in at 2b. At worse you're getting a .270 hitter with about 8-10 HRs.

Kopps, Lee, Bonnin, Rutledge, Krull, and Milligan as weekend starters/bullpen. Better offensive lineup even without Arledge and Spanberger, but an elite pitching staff.

JonClaudeVanHam

If Shaddy is not drafted then any ranking of us below five preseason is laughable.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

dotnet

Quote from: TebowHater on June 14, 2017, 04:14:00 pm
This could be one of the best teams we have ever had. 2009 would be the only year comparable - McCann, Keuchel, Smyly, Bolsinger, Cox, Eibner, Wilkins, Kuhn. That year we were one game away from the NC (and had to be beat twice) and finished T-3rd...could be fun!!

Regardless, this class sets such a great foundation for next few years.

No, but that was the situation with 2012.  In 2009, LSU was undefeated and there was zero pitching left

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 04:19:28 pm
And if Shaddy returns instead of moving on with his life you can plug him in at 2b. At worse you're getting a .270 hitter with about 8-10 HRs.

I really felt like Bonfield and Shaddy under performed.  I agree at worse... and the upside looks more like:

Shaddy 330+ 10+ HRs
Bonfield 360+ 20 Hrs

I think Williams is more likely to never be seen again in an Arkansas uniform than he is to start next year - Regardless of what Shaddy does

Hogs49ers

Alberius just went in the 36th rd to the Marlins.
SCREW Vandy!

TebowHater

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:21:59 pm
No, but that was the situation with 2012.  In 2009, LSU was undefeated and there was zero pitching left

Thanks for correction you are totally right. 2009 was the Eibner bomb vs. Virginia year to stay alive.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:25:07 pm
I really felt like Bonfield and Shaddy under performed.  I agree at worse... and the upside looks more like:

Shaddy 330+ 10+ HRs
Bonfield 360+ 20 Hrs

I think Williams is more likely to never be seen again in an Arkansas uniform than he is to start next year - Regardless of what Shaddy does

That is disappointing.

dotnet

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:21:23 pm
If Shaddy is not drafted then any ranking of us below five preseason is laughable.

I think you should dampen expectations on preseason rankings.  I agree that I would personally have Arkansas as a national seed/CWS attendee before the season started, but nationally you're still looking at:

-Campbell has proven nothing
-no proven third starter
-if every hitter repeats 2017 performance then the lineup is good but not top five level

The only thing that changes the above is if Fletcher, Lee, Cronin, etc. really perform well during the summer

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:25:07 pm

Shaddy 330+ 10+ HRs
Bonfield 360+ 20 Hrs

Agreed. I could see Loseke, Rogers, and Denton gone as well.

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:28:27 pm
I think you should dampen expectations on preseason rankings.  I agree that I would personally have Arkansas as a national seed/CWS attendee before the season started, but nationally you're still looking at:

-Campbell has proven nothing
-no proven third starter
-if every hitter repeats 2017 performance then the lineup is good but not top five level

The only thing that changes the above is if Fletcher, Lee, Cronin, etc. really perform well during the summer
The thing is, most projections had us as a 3 or 2 seed to start the year. We ended up hosting, and pushed for a national seed. The national analysts know Campbell is a projected first rounder. Kendall Rogers has said as much multiple times this year. He has backed of DVH's sentiment that Campbell may be the better of the two. Most pre-season rankings assume the majority of your team improves. The experience we will be returning will be some of the most in the country off a team that was as successful as they were. I think top 5 may be a reach starting out, but top 10 should be a given, in my opinion.

Hogs49ers

Rutledge is currently #1 best available prospect, he must have been pretty adamant about telling teams he was going to school.
SCREW Vandy!

dotnet

Maybe, at this point we're just speculating on national sentiment... and who knows with that.  I just wouldn't be surprised to see a top 15-20 team that is in the "sleeper for Omaha" contention  to start the year. 

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:27:37 pm
That is disappointing.

High hopes after seeing him play earlier this year.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

JonClaudeVanHam

So almost through 37 rounds and still no Shaddy? Do those in the know still believe he is gone, even if he goes as the last pick?

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 04:26:22 pm
Alberius just went in the 36th rd to the Marlins.

Really glad to hear Alberius gets a shot ... he's a sentimental favorite of mine ...

311Hog

man 4 of the 5 guys ucahogfan mentions on page 1 of this thread look like they will be here next year man that is awesome not sure it could have gone better. I am looking forward to Fletcher making that freshman soph jump he is already really good, maybe not swing for the fences so much =)

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SPAL

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 04:45:44 pm
So almost through 37 rounds and still no Shaddy? Do those in the know still believe he is gone, even if he goes as the last pick?

Several of us said that Shaddy wasn't a good pro prospect and that he should come back. But I've heard he wants to start the next chapter of his life and has his degree.....so, who knows.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 14, 2017, 05:08:09 pm
Several of us said that Shaddy wasn't a good pro prospect and that he should come back. But I've heard he wants to start the next chapter of his life and has his degree.....so, who knows.
I have to think at this point he would go ahead and come back and try to have a dynamite year as a Hog.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 14, 2017, 05:08:09 pm

I'm not saying what you're hearing isn't correct, but just the pride and effort he plays with would lend me to think he would come back. He's a born and raised hog who only has a short span to live his dream.

Either way, we will be primed for a great year!

TebowHater

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 14, 2017, 05:14:06 pm
I'm not saying what you're hearing isn't correct, but just the pride and effort he plays with would lend me to think he would come back. He's a born and raised hog who only has a short span to live his dream.

It has definitely seemed incongruent but I agree with SPAL. Somewhat inexplicably, most of the signs since the season ended, including his own (re)tweets and DVH in his PC, stated he was ready to move on. He was recently engaged during the season IIRC so maybe that has something to do with it? Don't know.

SPAL

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 14, 2017, 05:14:06 pm

I'm.not hearing anything that isn't out there for the world to know. And my sources haven't been very reliable thus far in regards to anything..

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 14, 2017, 05:31:24 pm
I'm.not hearing anything that isn't out there for the world to know. And my sources haven't been very reliable thus far in regards to anything..

Most not be a HV source, lol.

PigWig

I'm just in shock at how well this draft went for us.

gdumont

Blaine Knight was finally drafted in the 2017 MLB Draft, after the Texas Rangers selected the Bryant native in the 29th round

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/knight-selected-by-texas-in-29th-round/741548575

Razrpig256

Bonfield returning throws an interesting wrench in the lineup. Assuming he will continue to DH, do we start Lee or Turney in LF? I would guess Lee will get the first shot, but it will be hard to keep Turney's bat out of the lineup.

JonClaudeVanHam

Well, assuming Shady is staying now since he didn't get drafted (I mean, it's that or quit, right?), I'm pretty comfortable in saying this is a Top Five team next year. I don't know how we find enough spots for everyone. Hit or sit.

ThisTeetsTaken

Everyone penciling in McFarland at 1b for next year? 

Quote from: Razrpig256 on June 14, 2017, 05:44:12 pm
Bonfield returning throws an interesting wrench in the lineup. Assuming he will continue to DH, do we start Lee or Turney in LF? I would guess Lee will get the first shot, but it will be hard to keep Turney's bat out of the lineup.
We're going to have some good problems next year.

gdumont

ricepig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 14, 2017, 05:51:56 pm
Everyone penciling in McFarland at 1b for next year? 
  We're going to have some good problems next year.

First, there will be some draft causality we don't expect, there always seems to be. There will be some signees not show up, go JUCO different level, and there will be some to transfer. The scholarship money almost guarantees this. Hopefully we get 90% back of all our "penciled ins".

ucahogfan

Heston Kjerstad was selected just a few picks after Alberius in the 36th round, but I would expect for him to make it to campus.

What a great day for the Hogs!  Who would have thought that we would be returning Knight, Bonfield, and Shaddy while only losing Tillo and Smith (and more than likely Bennett) out of the signees?  DVH has to be worried about where to find enough ABs for these guys.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 14, 2017, 05:57:22 pm
Heston Kjerstad was selected just a few picks after Alberius in the 36th round, but I would expect for him to make it to campus.

What a great day for the Hogs!  Who would have thought that we would be returning Knight, Bonfield, and Shaddy while only losing Tillo and Smith (and more than likely Bennett) out of the signees?  DVH has to be worried about where to find enough ABs for these guys.
What's the deal with Bennett?

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 14, 2017, 05:57:22 pm

We are almost too loaded. Like other mentioned, as far as OF players who are expected to play go, we will have Lee, Cole, Fletcher, Turney, and Bonfield. We know Cole and Fletcher will start. DVH loves Lee, rightfully so, but Turney's got a ton of power from the left side and ranked as high as the #17 high school player in the country. He could potentially have a better season than fletcher if he lives up to the expectations. He isn't quite as good of an outfielder, but is supposed to be as good a hitter. You cannot keep that type of talent off the field. I think it is safe to assume Bonfield is going to be our DH. Maybe Gates can play 1st and Turney play third to get all of their bats in the lineup.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 06:44:38 pm
We are almost too loaded. Like other mentioned, as far as OF players who are expected to play go, we will have Lee, Cole, Fletcher, Turney, and Bonfield. We know Cole and Fletcher will start. DVH loves Lee, rightfully so, but Turney's got a ton of power from the left side and ranked as high as the #17 high school player in the country. He could potentially have a better season than fletcher if he lives up to the expectations. He isn't quite as good of an outfielder, but is supposed to be as good a hitter. You cannot keep that type of talent off the field. I think it is safe to assume Bonfield is going to be our DH. Maybe Gates can play 1st and Turney play third to get all of their bats in the lineup.

Turney is left-handed, I believe. If anyone plays third it will likely be Bonnin.

Hogs49ers

I have searched some of these young recruits coming to the hill next year today and Turney already looks like a man amongst boys and is built like Bryce Harper already (Not quite as tall though)!
SCREW Vandy!

jry04

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 06:58:45 pm
Turney is left-handed, I believe. If anyone plays third it will likely be Bonnin.
He is. I have said it multiple times,  and then forget when considering him at 3rd haha.

Hogs49ers

Can somebody tell me where Fletcher, Cole, and Lee were drafted or projected in the draft last year or the year before?
SCREW Vandy!

Razrpig256

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 07:14:19 pm
He is. I have said it multiple times,  and then forget when considering him at 3rd haha.

I suppose we could start grooming Turney at 1B and play him or McFarland based on matchups with the opposing pitcher. I don't see any way to get them all on the field though, now that Bonfield is coming back.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 07:18:57 pm
Can somebody tell me where Fletcher, Cole, and Lee were drafted or projected in the draft last year or the year before?
Fletcher was the only one ranked and he was in the 200 range on BA. None of the three were drafted.

Heiss and McFarland were the only freshmen drafted last year that made it to campus.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 14, 2017, 07:28:07 pm
Fletcher was the only one ranked and he was in the 200 range on BA. None of the three were drafted.

Heiss and McFarland were the only freshmen drafted last year that made it to campus.

Okay thanks just trying to find a comparison to what it appears like we are going to land this year, but this appears to be unheard of to land 3 top 200 draft prospects in the same class right?
SCREW Vandy!

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Razrpig256 on June 14, 2017, 07:26:34 pm
I suppose we could start grooming Turney at 1B and play him or McFarland based on matchups with the opposing pitcher. I don't see any way to get them all on the field though, now that Bonfield is coming back.
OF : Cole ---- Fletcher ---- Turney/Lee
IF: Bonnin/Kenley ---- Biggers ---- Shaddy ---- McFarland/Gates
C: Koch
DH: Bonfield

ucahogfan

I'll post much more in depth this weekend, but a few questions to bring up?

Will a weekend rotation of Knight, Campbell, and Murphy rival what we had in 2007 with Schmidt, Todd, and Welker?

What kind of depth do we have if we have injuries?  I think this team will be insanely deep.

We return 7 regulars and all hit at least 4 HRs.  We think that Lee, McFarland, and Turney are the favorites to replace Arledge and Spanberger as regulars.  Two of them have double digit HR pop.  Could we see 6-7 starters with 10+ HRs and set a new team record?

Will DVH find enough ABs to keep players like Opitz, Kerstad, Bonnin, Martin, and other high level freshmen and sophomores happy and keep them from transferring?

Can the 2018 season start already?

ucahogfan

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 06:58:45 pm
The good thing is that it appears we have two legit two way players in Lee and Bonnin.  Heck, Bonnin was a second round talent on the mound and we list him as a SS in our incoming class.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 14, 2017, 07:31:50 pm
Okay thanks just trying to find a comparison to what it appears like we are going to land this year, but this appears to be unheard of to land 3 top 200 draft prospects in the same class right?
Don't forget Knight is another top 200 draft guy this year and he is coming back.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 14, 2017, 07:32:16 pm
OF : Cole ---- Fletcher ---- Turney/Lee
IF: Bonnin/Kenley ---- Biggers ---- Shaddy ---- McFarland/Gates
C: Koch
DH: Bonfield

it would appear to me that since Koch needs a break every now and then, we could work in some extra at bats occasionally that way as well.  Bonfield could use a rest every now and then too, and especially when we could use another left handed bat in the lineup.  We will just have to see how it goes.  DVH will have his usually tendency to stick with experience, but then he also occasionally goes with who is hot.  Should be an interesting year.  Kinney probably plays third most of the time if his batting continues to progress.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ucahogfan

Among the two major top 500 lists, we will more than likely get the following players for 2018:

Blaine Knight
Bryce Bonnin
Cole Turney
Jackson Rutledge
Casey Opitz
Heston Kjerstad
Luke Bonfield
Hunter Milligan

Don't think we have had that happen before.