Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some ruling help

Started by onebadrubi, June 15, 2017, 03:32:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Golf ball hit in fairway but cut from sprinkler head.  Is it replaceable without penalty.  I thought so but playing partner bet large sum of money it's not.

Hawg414

strictly guessing... but i would guess no, as there is no way to know for certain the sprinkler head cut it.

i mean, obviously, its a likely scenario.  but you cant replace balls that are scuffed from rocks or trees or anything else during the hole. 

hogbud

Did playing partner have large sum bet with you?

dxcrabtree

Rule 5-3 permits a player to substitute another ball during the play of a hole when his original ball has become unfit for play during the play of that hole.  If the sprinkler head, or any other external cause, damaged the ball to the extent that it is unfit for play, you can replace the ball during that hole. 

onebadrubi

Yes 5-3 states that but a very large club pro said completely opposite.  We settled bet finally to my winnings.  The rule is and has been if cut you can replace it so long as playing partner agrees it's unfit.  It took many long discussions to get playing partner to pay up, but he did.  To his defense, he did not know the honest answer and sided with the club pro.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 15, 2017, 11:35:30 pm
Yes 5-3 states that but a very large club pro said completely opposite.  We settled bet finally to my winnings.  The rule is and has been if cut you can replace it so long as playing partner agrees it's unfit.  It took many long discussions to get playing partner to pay up, but he did.  To his defense, he did not know the honest answer and sided with the club pro.

Fat guys don't know anymore about golf, than skinny ones. Ask Ponderin......