Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we had that much trouble with Bama

Started by hogsanity, January 30, 2009, 08:58:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

at home, when we were shooting pretty well, RC went off for 26, and we still only won by 9, then what will happen when Tn LSu and KY come to town?

This team forgot how to play defense, or, worse, they know how and just do not want to play defense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

We had trouble with them?  What game were you watching? 

I've always thought you didn't like it when people posted negative comments?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

We have 6 fish playing and some young underclassmen so I am taking a wait and see approach. Pel is doing a great job correcting mistakes and We are getting better. Getting Monk back ASAP would help too.  IMO we didn't have that much trouble with BAMA we lead all the 2nd half and most of the First.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgrox

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2009, 08:58:41 am
at home, when we were shooting pretty well, RC went off for 26, and we still only won by 9, then what will happen when Tn LSu and KY come to town?

We'll work up a #7 on 'em...

Yes...I am afraid it will get ugly even this Saturday at Red Stick. We should have blown 'Bama out.

Hawgrox

The Hogfather

This team forgot how to play defense, or, worse, they know how and just do not want to play defense.

I agree.  I was thinking the same thing during and after that game.  They kept coming back to within 10 because we CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE!  We HAVE TO outscore people to win.  That is why, if our shooting is just the slightest bit off, we get beat.  If we don't play defense any better than we have in the past couple of games @ LSU, we'll get beat by 28 points.

DeltaBoy

20 years from now all anybody will remember is that we Won our 1st conference game at Home against Bama.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HawgAdvocate

We don't have the length or depth to play solid defense. We HAVE to play the 2-3 to stay in the game. It's not because it's Pel's first choice.

I still wish we'd sign another big body for next season, even IF Borden isn't a sign and place.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 30, 2009, 09:13:27 am
We don't have the length or depth to play solid defense. We HAVE to play the 2-3 to stay in the game. It's not because it's Pel's first choice.

I still wish we'd sign another big body for next season, even IF Borden isn't a sign and place.

Somebody needs to invite the big boys home and feed them. Washington needs at least 15-20 more pounds along with Sanchez.

jobiegohog

length and depth.   that is what makes me so mad about last year's team .  so strong front and backcourt but no heart

kRazorback

Quote from: jobiegohog on January 30, 2009, 09:22:52 am
length and depth.   that is what makes me so mad about last year's team .  so strong front and backcourt but no heart

that's what she said? ;)

jobiegohog

Hollywood_HOGan45

January 30, 2009, 09:44:28 am #12 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:46:32 am by Hollywood_HOGan45

we should bring in your boy HDN to coach the team.

just be glad we finally got a W.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 30, 2009, 09:44:28 am
we should bring in your boy HDN to coach the team.

That's the way, show us your fixation is still strong.

I am glad we won, but the win did not give me much hope for the rest of the season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorod

i'm very happy for the win. we won't go 0-16. but, the fact that we didn't/couldn't blow out a reeling bama does say something. and yes, again, i'm very happy with the win.

the next five games are going to be tough. three road games in that set, beginning with lsu. home games are with tenn and ky. could easily go 0-5 during this stretch. i'm just saying, i won't be surprised if we're 1-9 five games from now (yes, i'm hoping for better). there are three winnable games in the last six--ole miss and georgia at home, bama on the road (we'll see what kind of shape there in by then). 4-12 is the best that i see right now, even with last night's win.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

PennHOG

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 09:08:03 am
I agree.  I was thinking the same thing during and after that game.  They kept coming back to within 10 because we CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE!  We HAVE TO outscore people to win.  That is why, if our shooting is just the slightest bit off, we get beat.  If we don't play defense any better than we have in the past couple of games @ LSU, we'll get beat by 28 points.

They kept coming back because Alonzo Gee is a leader and a stud.  He tried to will them back into it. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

donewithdale

Or more like, they are still learning how to play defense especially zone at this level.  The mistakes are made in the post by players like Fr Sanchez and Fr Clark.  Our perimeter defense is not going to be that strong when most SEC teams have guards and SF's that can get their shots anytime over our guards. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: PennHOG on January 30, 2009, 10:15:05 am
They kept coming back because Alonzo Gee is a leader and a stud.  He tried to will them back into it.

Not really.  Alonzo Gee is a freak athlete.  That's about it.  Green and Knox killed us more than Gee.  The purpose of the zone was to lock down their inside game and force them to shoot threes, but we couldn't stop Knox at the high post or Green down low.  We can't play defense.  I'm worried about the upcoming stretch of games.

PennHOG

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 10:27:26 am
Not really.  Alonzo Gee is a freak athlete.  That's about it.  Green and Knox killed us more than Gee.  The purpose of the zone was to lock down their inside game and force them to shoot threes, but we couldn't stop Knox at the high post or Green down low.  We can't play defense.  I'm worried about the upcoming stretch of games.

I agree with you overall.  But just when we were starting to pull awayby 10 points it always seemed to me that Gee would make some sort of clutch play that would lead to a quick run.  That's what senior leaders do and I thought he sparked them in way that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

jry04

Honestly, why is anyone complaining after a win? We were 0-4 and beat a team that isn't that bad. We didn't play great, but how can you say we struggled with Alabama? Their only lead was when they were up like 9 to 8 in the early minutes of the game. We pretty much lead the entire game. The closest they got it in the 2nd half was 6 points, but we quickly pushed it back up to 11 within a few possessions. Keep in mind this team starts 3 freshmen, and were without 2 of their big guys off the bench(Monk and Moore.) We were forced to play a walk-on golfer and Andre Clark. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they don't have the experience Monk has obtained since he has been here or even the minutes Moore has logged.

Razorod

i don't think we're complaining in the classic sense of the word. i think some of us are making the observation that wins are going to be few and far between this year. i'm preparing myself for it and am going to resist bashing. we are what we are and if we can simply get better, then that may have to suffice for this season.

The Hogfather

I haven't seen a complaint.  I've seen assessment, analysis, and an aprehension to put to much stock into the win last night.  I'm thrilled we won.  But, the way we did it, makes me kind of nervous about the upcoming stretch of games, starting @ LSU.

HawgWild

Quote from: mathhog on January 30, 2009, 09:16:39 am
fail.

we beat texas but shot horribly.  does that cheapen texas' win?  we held texas' abrams to 3 points.  does that mean "if we only beat texas by 6 at home when their star is useless, what happens when we play alabama at home"

or by that logic, UNC lost at home to Boston College, who lost at home to HARVARD

THerefore, HARVARD > NORTH CAROLINA

Done and done!   If North Caronlina can't beat the team that lost to harvard, then why don't they drop out of the acc altogether and fire roy williams?

We beat ou but lost to auburn (who lost to mercer).  FIRE THE TEAM!

(sarcasm)

Yeah! What he said! ;D

Jim Harris

they will lose.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The Hogfather

Quote from: mathhog on January 30, 2009, 11:07:13 am
bama was picked to win the west, we were picked to lose it.

i'll take a game where we're up by 7-15 points virtually the whole time any day of the week.

Two points:

1.  Preseason rankings don't mean #$^& and are rarely right.
2.  That was when Bama had a coach and Ronald Steele.

Ok, one more point.  Tennessee basketball will continue it's slide, beyond this year.

Razorod

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 11:11:54 am
Two points:

Ok, one more point.  Tennessee basketball will continue it's slide, beyond this year.
i think our best chance at a win over the next five games is against tennessee. in my more optimistic moments i'm hoping for a sweep of tenn and ky--our next two home games. as of right now, i don't have much, if any, confidence in this team on the road.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 11:11:54 am
Two points:

Gottfried sucked at coaching. He brought in awesome talent and did nothing with it almost every year. Most Bama fans liked him as a person but were ready for him to be gone a while ago.

Steele was a big loss though.

That goes both ways though. With as much foul trouble as Washington and Sanchez get in, Monk and Moore are big losses for this team. That, and our big men need breathers, too.

I am not saying this was a great win by any means, but having 2 players out after already having little depth and still leading the entire game is pretty decent.

want2be

We are going to have to OVERACHIEVE at a higher level to stay close against LSU......If we are not hitting from outside they will burn us

The Hogfather

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on January 30, 2009, 12:07:37 pm
Gottfried sucked at coaching. He brought in awesome talent and did nothing with it almost every year. Most Bama fans liked him as a person but were ready for him to be gone a while ago.

Steele was a big loss though.

That goes both ways though. With as much foul trouble as Washington and Sanchez get in, Monk and Moore are big losses for this team. That, and our big men need breathers, too.

I am not saying this was a great win by any means, but having 2 players out after already having little depth and still leading the entire game is pretty decent.

I disagree about Gottfried. 

Read my posts again.  It was a decent win, but it doesn't give me confidence that we are going to go on a win streak or anything.  If anything, the manner of last night's win makes me increasingly leary of this upcoming stretch.

If it doesn't you, that's fine.  We can disagree.

I do think it is kind of silly to point out preseason predictions and say that this was a good win based on that, when preseason rankings are never right in the first place and the fact that their coach has since been fired (regardless of what you think of him, he recruited all those guys to Bama and has been coaching them since they came to Alabama) and arguably their best player has left the team.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 12:40:06 pm
I disagree about Gottfried. 

Read my posts again.  It was a decent win, but it doesn't give me confidence that we are going to go on a win streak or anything.  If anything, the manner of last night's win makes me increasingly leary of this upcoming stretch.

If it doesn't you, that's fine.  We can disagree.

I do think it is kind of silly to point out preseason predictions and say that this was a good win based on that, when preseason rankings are never right in the first place and the fact that their coach has since been fired (regardless of what you think of him, he recruited all those guys to Bama and has been coaching them since they came to Alabama) and arguably their best player has left the team.
I wasn't the one that pointed out their preseason prediction.

How can you disagree about Gottfried? That is your opinion and I will respect it. However, even most Bama fans didn't like him. Look at his recruiting classes and look at what he has done with that talent. He had one good year where they made the Elite 8. For the most part, he has underachieved. Last year they had quite a bit of talent and failed to really even compete in the SEC.

Last night doesn't make me leary of the stretch, but it doesn't give me reason to believe we will go on a win streak either. I agree with you there. However, I just think with a depleted bench of our own and being 0-4 in the SEC, it was a breath of fresh air to see us actually come out and have a double digit lead and not be down at any point in the 2nd half. Despite what some people on here want to say, we were in control of that game almost the entire game. Yes, Bama went on a few runs but we kept them to small runs.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 30, 2009, 09:12:15 am
20 years from now all anybody will remember is that we Won our 1st conference game at Home against Bama.
I hope I'm not thinking about this season 20 years from now. I prefer to remember the years we were good than the ones we weren't. I want to bury this season far enough into the back of my mind that by the time football season rolls around, I will think it was all just a bad dream.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The Hogfather

We all know if Bama fans don't like him, he must be a bad coach.  Same with Brady at LSU.  I don't base my assessment of a coach on the opinions of the fans of football schools.

It seems you are just trying to argue about what I said about the team.  We had a lead basically the whole game, but it took all those things that hogsanity said.  It took almost a perfect game to beat Bama, in Bud Walton, by 9.  That's a little worrisome to me in regards to how this team will finish the season.  That's all.

I'm not saying that Pelphrey did or is doing a bad job, I'm not saying we should give up on the season or anything, just that I'm not expecting out team to go on an extended winning streak.  The same things that showed up in our losses to get us beat showed up last night, even though we won.  The only thing that saved our bacon was that we shot decently and Clarke went off.

NuttinItUp

We pretty much dominated them the whole game. If we hadn't made so many silly turnovers we would have beat them by more. Even with the mistakes, we didn't have trouble with them, though. Not sure what game you were watching.

We beat a team last night that had more talent, experience, and depth than we did.  Our only advantage was we were at home.  I guess you Pel downers could insist we should have beat them by a larger margin but we led most of the game and was able to fumble around and pull back out front every time they got close.  We finally put Clarke to work until he got so tired their defender shut him down.  He needs to get in shape for 4 quarters.  We finally let Fortson know he can't mess up time after time and not be pulled and same with Welsh.  Britt and Henry both had some very good minutes, we were without 2 decent players all night and both low post players hung tough.  They both made some glaring mistakes and both did great from time to time.  Washington is the makings of a very good post man and Sanchez is trying hard.  I think we will win a few more this season.  Likely beat someone we shouldn't and get beat by several we shouldn't.  I still like this team for their heart.  It went away for 3 or 4 games but now it appears back.  Did you notice Clarke got passed to last night?  He deserved those passes because he was working to get wide open.  Did you see Welsh with those passes inside, lightning quick.  Every player on this team brings something we need. 

TexHog188

Who knows for sure with this "very young" team.  Is this not the same team that beat Oklahoma and Texas just a few weeks ago.  If they play with confidence and tenacity, they will stay with anyone at the Bud.  If they are tentative and selfish they will get blown out.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

The Hogfather

Quote from: 12247 on January 30, 2009, 02:25:30 pm
I guess you Pel downers could insist we should have beat them by a larger margin but we led most of the game and was able to fumble around and pull back out front every time they got close. 

Kind of hard to take you seriously when this is near the top of your post.  Find me a sentence in this thread that would be considered a comment that you would consider "downing Pel".

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 30, 2009, 02:00:24 pm
We all know if Bama fans don't like him, he must be a bad coach.  Same with Brady at LSU.  I don't base my assessment of a coach on the opinions of the fans of football schools.

It seems you are just trying to argue about what I said about the team.  We had a lead basically the whole game, but it took all those things that hogsanity said.  It took almost a perfect game to beat Bama, in Bud Walton, by 9.  That's a little worrisome to me in regards to how this team will finish the season.  That's all.

I'm not saying that Pelphrey did or is doing a bad job, I'm not saying we should give up on the season or anything, just that I'm not expecting out team to go on an extended winning streak.  The same things that showed up in our losses to get us beat showed up last night, even though we won.  The only thing that saved our bacon was that we shot decently and Clarke went off.
You contradicted yourself in this post. You said the same things that got us beat showed up last night. Right before that you said it took a near perfect game to beat Alabama by 9 points in BWA. We had a 13 point lead 3 different times in the 2nd half, and kept it around 9 or 10 points for most of the 2nd half other than the run they went on to pull it within 6. We didn't struggle with them that much, and to say it took a near perfect game is wrong. We had more turnovers than them. We had 12, they had 11. We had 1 more rebound than them, but they had 2 more offensive rebounds. We shot 49% overall and they shot 48% overall. The only big difference in the game other than the three was fouls. We did play a near perfect game when it came to the foul situation.