Started by HogtoberFest, January 29, 2009, 10:24:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogtoberFest

Oliver

chiefsfan

Quote from: justin7780 on January 29, 2009, 10:24:26 pm
Per R. Clarke,  Thoughts?

Well we won didnt it

If we have to bring in Nolan every game, and it gets us SEC wins, Ill take it every time
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

rjmass

RC said Nolan talked to them about defending their house.  Who better to talk about defending your house than the man that built the house.

Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

HogtoberFest

I say bring him every game, heck put him on staff!!

Hogphilia

Conway Hog

Quote from: rjmass on January 29, 2009, 10:28:30 pm
RC said Nolan talked to them about defending their house.  Who better to talk about defending your house than the man that built the house.

Agree!!!!  It sure is good to see the healing continue...looking forward to celebrating the National Champions on March 1
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

rjmass

Quote from: justin7780 on January 29, 2009, 10:28:35 pm
I say bring him every game, heck put him on staff!!
If Nolan gets Pel wearing those red boots the score desk would have holes all over the front of it. 
Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

HogtoberFest

Quote from: rjmass on January 29, 2009, 10:32:32 pm
If Nolan gets Pel wearing those red boots the score desk would have holes all over the front of it. 

Red Boots, Red Jacket, Red Hair!!
Go Hogs

The Boar War

Quote from: rjmass on January 29, 2009, 10:32:32 pm

Forget the boots bring back the polkadot handkerchief.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Ar_Hog on January 29, 2009, 10:28:12 pm
GREAT to see the hatchet being buried....

WPS!!!!

Now, If they can just bury the other "old bones" with that hatchet...we can really go places!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

thirtythree

Quote from: rjmass on January 29, 2009, 10:28:30 pm

So, wouldn't they want to defend Nolan's house? :) I could understand why that would be important to him. :)

HogBreath

Shrewd move by Pelphrey.  Use every resource you have.  Nolan can still be an asset to the program.  Nothing to be gained by living in the past.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HawgWild

Quote from: HogBreath on January 29, 2009, 10:46:44 pm
Shrewd move by Pelphrey.  Use every resource you have.  Nolan can still be an asset to the program.  Nothing to be gained by living in the past.

Agreed. Pelphrey doesn't need to carry around this baggage. That should have left with FB, JW & HDN.

hawgsmellgud

Put him on the staff. Nobody recruits like Nolan. When you talk about greatest Razorbacks of all time he has to be mentioned.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

swinesation

According to the ADG, Nolan told them they needed to recover their intensity - that he had noticed it had dropped off the last few games. I was impressed that he is following the team so closely and has the freedom to talk that way with them. He and Pel must talk on occasion. Anyway, who better to talk about intensity? You can say a lot of things about Nolan, but that guy defined intensity on the basketball court.

hogginbama

Think it was a good move. A coach, or any leader for that matter, can always benefit by bringing in an outside source to motivate the team. Sometimes it takes an "outsider" to share their views to get a point across to young men. Nolan has the credentials, he has the legacy and he speaks from the experience of being on the mountain top and what it takes to get there.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

BigHog396

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on January 30, 2009, 08:27:52 am
Put him on the staff. Nobody recruits like Nolan. When you talk about greatest Razorbacks of all time he has to be mentioned.
Are you kidding me?  The fact that he pretty much quit recruiting was why Nolan lost his job, that and the fact he quit coaching.  I love where he took our program, but hate where he left it.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 30, 2009, 08:47:50 am
Are you kidding me?  The fact that he pretty much quit recruiting was why Nolan lost his job, that and the fact he quit coaching.  I love where he took our program, but hate where he left it.

Can he recruit or not? And after ole Franky boy held our program hostage for so long I don't blame Nolan for what he did. And he did not quit recruiting turn on the T.V. tonight and watch the star of 76ers A. Iguedala (sp) and then tell me he quit recruiting.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

DeltaBoy

Nolan is an asset that can be used more. Pel is smart to ask for his help and insight.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

chiefsfan

it still can be said that we would have had a very good class the year Nolan left.  I believe that was the year we were in on both Igudola and Okafor.  Both of whom turned out to be 1st round draft picks.   Igudola committed to us, and changed to Arizona when Heath came in.    Okafor had us in the lead, and then chose UCONN
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on January 30, 2009, 08:54:34 am

Can he recruit or not? And after ole Franky boy held our program hostage for so long I don't blame Nolan for what he did. And he did not quit recruiting turn on the T.V. tonight and watch the star of 76ers A. Iguedala (sp) and then tell me he quit recruiting.

Igoudala's dad and Nolan were friends.  Don't know that he had to try too hard.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

HawgWild

FWIW - Ronnie Brewer said that Coach Richardson never came to see him play when he was in high school at Fayetteville. What do you make of that?

kimjongsqUeAl

January 30, 2009, 01:20:50 pm #23 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:39:53 pm by kim_jong_sqUeAl
Quote from: justin7780 on January 29, 2009, 10:24:26 pm
Per R. Clarke,  Thoughts?

Whatever works.  I do love how Pel and Jeff Long et al have reached out and tied up loose ends with Nolan.  These guys are selfless gentlemen who need to be recognized as does Nolan - finally.

:razorback:
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

hawgsav1

Nolan is great.  'nuff said.  Bring him every game to inspire the players (or run their asses ragged). 

Whether or not Nolan stopped putting as much effort in as he used to is besides the point.  He was and still is the greatest coach that we've had in Razorback history (apart from John McDonnell).  He trumped Frank. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jkcrunch

Nolan knows how to win championships if I was a young coach at the biggest point in my career I would seek his help also

3kgthog

If Nolan's ego could handle it I'd easily welcome him as an assistant. These guys would learn to play defense or break down in tears, whichever comes first.

Arazorbackguy1

After being at one job for more than 10 years, most of us lose a bit of focus and intensity.  Especially if you have success.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hogfan2000

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 30, 2009, 08:47:50 am

He left it in much better shape from a national perspective than what we have now.  Lets not forget, he had recruited Andre Igadola before he left.  Anyway, it had dropped off, but nothing like what Stan did to us from a national perspective.

Memory fades but didn't Arkansas get in some NCAA difficulty caused by the eligibility front office that caused us to lose a schollie or 2 or 3 toward the end of Nolan's tenure.  Also, lets remember that Nolan wasn't treated like Nutt was and Nolan would take great offense to that.  Nolan likely did his job based on the way he felt he was treated.

hawgsav1

January 30, 2009, 07:10:49 pm #30 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:12:52 pm by hawgsav1
Quote from: 12247 on January 30, 2009, 06:58:43 pm
Memory fades but didn't Arkansas get in some NCAA difficulty caused by the eligibility front office that caused us to lose a schollie or 2 or 3 toward the end of Nolan's tenure.  Also, lets remember that Nolan wasn't treated like Nutt was and Nolan would take great offense to that.  Nolan likely did his job based on the way he felt he was treated.

I was a young fella but I do remember some front office shenanigans that caused us to lose a schollie or two.  On top of that, a lot of Nolan's post 1996 signings didn't pan out.  We got a few Mickey D's All Americans (Darnell Robinson, Glendon Alexander) and other high profile recruits who didn't pan out.  Btw, I found an interesting blog article on Glendon Alexander.  I didn't know much about him (he apparently transferred to OSU, where most of his NCAA violations occurred...interesting).

http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-hall/130060-big-time-big-house-glendon-alexanders-sad-tale-microcosm-college-hoops-woes.html
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

thirtythree

Was it shrewed to have Eddise Sutton talk to the team as well? I think it is wonderful thet JP is embracing Razorback history and clinging to it. that really show he has a true passion for the Hogs.

Now, I don't think he needs to do too much of it because he could lose a little respect from his players. Therefore, I don't see a problem with an every now and then thing.

jkcrunch

Quote from: thirtythree on January 30, 2009, 07:20:33 pm
Was it shrewed to have Eddise Sutton talk to the team as well? I think it is wonderful thet JP is embracing Razorback history and clinging to it. that really show he has a true passion for the Hogs.

Now, I don't think he needs to do too much of it because he could lose a little respect from his players. Therefore, I don't see a problem with an every now and then thing.

Yes it was these kids as most young kids today dont seem to get what it means to be a Hog because of the decade of struggles

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.