Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 Reasons why we won this game

Started by ChicoHog, January 29, 2009, 10:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicoHog

1.  Fortson let the game come to him for the most part.  I thinkhe only attempted one three and did not drive half hazardly to the basket and throw up the "prayer" shot very often tonight.  Of coourse had more assists because clarke made shots.
2.   Clarke hit 3's
3.  Great Foul shooting, especially the 2nd half
4.  Bama is not a very good shooting team
5.  Team shot selection much better from everyone, especially Fortson and Welsh
I still don't think we are very good.  Our defense is poor underneath and our guards are too short to challenge perimter shooters.  I predict 5-11 in the SEC.     

Conway Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 29, 2009, 10:14:55 pm
1.  Fortson let the game come to him for the most part.  I thinkhe only attempted one three and did not drive half hazardly to the basket and throw up the "prayer" shot very often tonight.  Of coourse had more assists because clarke made shots.
2.   Clarke hit 3's
I still don't think we are very good.  Our defense is poor underneath and our guards are too short to challenge perimter shooters.  I predict 5-11 in the SEC.    

I agree completely with your observations...some members of this team has to learn to not take the three point shot - Sanchez and in some cases Washington over doing it

Not happy with Welsh...he really continues to be selfish and jealous of Clarke
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

The Boar War

I'll add one.  We hustled tonight.

donewithdale

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 29, 2009, 10:14:55 pm
2.   Clarke hit 3's

2 & 4 are the most important - Welsh also hit a few 3's and Henry hit a big one at the end of the half.

Its the same story that we have had going back into the Heath era, when we shoot well from the perimeter we have a chance to win most every game.  Problem is that isn't a very reliable way to win especially when our shooters are often smaller than their defenders.  Any win is a good win at this point.

Brass Knob

Quote from: The Boar War on January 29, 2009, 10:21:56 pm
I'll add one.  We hustled tonight.

And we looked like a totally different team because of it!  Improvements all around except our D is still lacking.

Niels Boar

I generally agree with your analysis.

Nice to be the smart team.  A lot of correctable mistakes were corrected on O.  Fortson inverted his recent performances.  He only took 1 trey and cut down the TOs.  His assists were back up. It helps that some guys were making jump shots.  He had a lot of potential assists against Auburn that became rebounding opportunities.  Clarke was on fire, and that may be sustainable.  It was my contention that the ball movement was improved against Auburn, but the lack of jump shooting prevented any results.  The ball movement was even better tonight, the best it has been all year.  We had 18 assists on 26 FGs, which is high for this team.  Washington and Henry looking healthier also helped the O.  We got some nice production out of Sanchez, too, who doubled his SEC rebounds tonight.

The caveat is that the D was still mediocre.  We gave up huge numbers inside despite Bama being a sub-30% arc team, including Steele's 38% contribution on the season.  We were still a few made treys from being in a real battle.  Their low arc percentage looked more like them than us.  We will find out Saturday if the D is making any progress.  Tonight makes the next two tilts huge opportunities.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Conway Hog on January 29, 2009, 10:19:33 pm

Totally disagree. Noticed at least two passes Welsh made to Clarke where Rotnei could have scored/did score. One pass was a little to hard and out of reach and went out of bounds.

Welsh made some great passes tonight. Get off his back.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

BigHog396

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 30, 2009, 08:48:38 am
Totally disagree. Noticed at least two passes Welsh made to Clarke where Rotnei could have scored/did score. One pass was a little to hard and out of reach and went out of bounds.

Gonna have to agree with you for last night.  Welsh played a much more team oriented game last night.  He is still making way too many bone-headed mistakes for a junior, but last night was better.  Let's just hope he doesn't revert back to his old ways.

DeltaBoy

We hit Threes and was hot from the charity strip.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GBoling5000

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 30, 2009, 09:01:53 am
We hit Threes and was hot from the charity strip.

I'd like for some hot babe to give me a charity strip.

jobiegohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 30, 2009, 08:48:38 am

welsh made some unbelievable passes especially coming from him.  i was shocked and proud of him

royboy10

:)I was just pleased that the Hogs played as a team. Welsh passed, Fortson got the ball to the open man;Sanchez played hard and finally started hitting free throws; Washington mainly played in the paint and all players looked for the open man instead of dribbling and throwing it up (or throwing up).....Thanks guys continue the good work and things will get better! Britt and Henry both contributed well also!:)

Razor6

Yes.

I also think Pel should limit Fortson to 5 shots a game... Pel would say "Pick your 5 shots wisely."

Last night he gave up the ball more than he attempted.  Way to go!

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

hawgsav1

Quote from: Conway Hog on January 29, 2009, 10:19:33 pm
I agree completely with your observations...some members of this team has to learn to not take the three point shot - Sanchez and in some cases Washington over doing it

What's with the Welsh bashing again?  He's been passing it to Clarke a lot the last couple of games.  I don't see why Welsh would be 'jealous' of Clarke.  I mean, Welsh has a higher scoring average, is a better defender, and has better handles.  Clarke is a better shooter, but I don't see where 'jealousy' would come in.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jkcrunch

Welsh has two modes of play.  Good Welsh who keeps his head up, and only shoots the spot up 3 off the pass.  The evil Welsh who hogs the ball, puts his head down, and dribble into trouble.  Last night Good Welsh play 95% of the game and Evil Welsh played 5% of the time.

Washington is the best player and the most consistent but he has to have his teammates play up to make him go.

Clarke was in a slump but got out of that slump in part because poor passes to score.  Last night Fortson delivered the ball in good time helping Rotnei become square.  And Rotnei moved better without the ball in turn making Fortson job easier.

2nd best player on this team is Marcus Britt look at his numbers and watch him play.  He plays great defense, hits the open shot, makes his free throw, and takes care of the ball.  When we are in the last two minutes he should be on the floor.

ChicoHog

And Britt was on the floor last night and he swished his foul shots.  I would like to see him getting more time. 

Razor6

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 30, 2009, 05:20:46 pm
And Britt was on the floor last night and he swished his foul shots.  I would like to see him getting more time. 

How about the teams' free throw shooting in the 2nd half.

Would not have won the game... but we put it away at the line!

Glad to see Sanchez's shots bounce in.  He appears to be sacrificing his body for the team (in the second half for sure). Hope the kid keeps at it!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

I saw several missed pass opportunities by nearly everyone on the team last night, but overall, the delivery was much better team wide.  Welsh is good guy, bad guy and needs to improve his good guy side.  Last night he was much better.  Clarke for whatever reason moved all over the court last night and his point production showed it.  Fortson and Welsh had been ignoring Clarke as he stood in the corner waiting for the ball and refused him the ball even when he was open.  Now Clarke is earning the ball and he is usually getting it.  I would guess a HC with a different set of goals had a talk with the team and explained what he wanted from each player.  I also saw players sitting after bone head plays a few times.  What a wonderful concept, bringing a player to the side and explaining his mistake and letting him simmer a bit before getting back in the game.  A swelled head is a dangerous thing on a BB court.  I saw some attitudes slightly adjusted last night.  And we won.