Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU game will be a HUGE one

Started by Hogtropolis™, January 29, 2009, 10:14:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

I know it big to pick up our first SEC win of the year, but I can't get too excited about it considering we are only 1-4 now.

The LSU game saturday is going to be a HUGE game if we are going to try to compete in the SECW.  I'd even say it's almost a must win.

UltimateHog

I highly doubt we stay within single digits.

If it's 1 thing i've learned the past few seasons....

We suck on the road.

We are inconsistent this year.

The odds of us playing OU/Texas level are slim and the odds of us playing Ole Miss style against a much much better team are rather high.

Who knows, maybe we somehow play great on the road, but I just don't see it.

Even if we play the way we did tonight, we lose @LSU, by about 3-8 prolly.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Hogtropolis™

I seem to think we lose also, but my point is that this win means nothing if we can't follow it up with another win.  1-5 is worse than 0-4 for the simple fact that you are still 4 games below .500 in league play with fewer games to play.

Also, if we move to 1-5 I really don't see us going 7-3 for the remainder of the season which would put us at 8-8 with a possible berth in the NCAAT.  I just feel that this game is as close to a must win that we have had this year as far as our NCAAT hopes go.

Especially if the Tourney only takes 1 SECW team which many think will be the case.

Hot_Town_Hog

It is huge, but not a must. We could still get to 8 with a loss at LSU, given we play even better than tonight and knock down some 3's.

However, beat LSU and I say we have a decent shot at beating the Vols at home next week. Then we are really back in the hunt for an 8-8 record.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 29, 2009, 10:43:00 pm
It is huge, but not a must. We could still get to 8 with a loss at LSU, given we play even better than tonight and knock down some 3's.

However, beat LSU and I say we have a decent shot at beating the Vols at home next week. Then we are really back in the hunt for an 8-8 record.
We better beat the Vols at home next week.  We have 5 home games remaining and like it or not, if we don't win all of them, we are not going to make the NCAAT.

Our biggest task is going to be picking up some road wins somewhere.

The other reason I feel the LSU game is so important is because we now have a little confidence back and if we go in there and get beat by 15+, then we come home with low confidence against a good Tennessee team, then we will get beat.  We've got to keep our momentum going.

thirtythree

It is going to be very difficult to get a win there. It seems as they learned what desperate means. Now they need to learn what winning on the road in the SEC means

HawgnCorona

sure LSU is at home, and 4-1 ,however you still have to play the game...this the HOGS first SEC win it gives them confidence, they understand a bit more what it will take to win. We have to figure out how to when on the road, since you got to start somewhere LSU is as good a place as any.So im still sticking with the Porkers win or lose. I AM  with them all the way babe, all the way!!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Niels Boar

Nice to get an uptick in confidence.  The Hogs will need a significant upgrade in their defensive effort to win in Baton Rouge, but I'm glad for once to have a quick turnaround from Thursday to Saturday.  The next 7 games are the meat of the SEC schedule.  If we are going to get back in the NCAAT picture, we need to go no worse than 4 - 3 with only 3 home games.  Gosh, winning the next two would be the 3rd sea change in the season in a month.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 29, 2009, 10:32:31 pm
I seem to think we lose also, but my point is that this win means nothing if we can't follow it up with another win.  1-5 is worse than 0-4 for the simple fact that you are still 4 games below .500 in league play with fewer games to play.

Also, if we move to 1-5 I really don't see us going 7-3 for the remainder of the season which would put us at 8-8 with a possible berth in the NCAAT.  I just feel that this game is as close to a must win that we have had this year as far as our NCAAT hopes go.

Especially if the Tourney only takes 1 SECW team which many think will be the case.
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 29, 2009, 10:48:18 pm
We better beat the Vols at home next week.  We have 5 home games remaining and like it or not, if we don't win all of them, we are not going to make the NCAAT.

The other reason I feel the LSU game is so important is because we now have a little confidence back and if we go in there and get beat by 15+, then we come home with low confidence against a good Tennessee team, then we will get beat.  We've got to keep our momentum going.
Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on January 29, 2009, 10:48:18 pm

I agree on gaining more confidence with a win at LSU. It will also give the fans some confidence too. Was just saying we can win our 5 home games if we just step it on D and knock down some 3's.

Our 2 road wins could come in order of confidence - @ Bama; @ Aub; @ Vandy,; @ LSU; and @ State. We will win at least 2 of those if we play like we are capable.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 29, 2009, 11:06:16 pm
Nice to get an uptick in confidence.  The Hogs will need a significant upgrade in their defensive effort to win in Baton Rouge, but I'm glad for once to have a quick turnaround from Thursday to Saturday.  The next 7 games are the meat of the SEC schedule.  If we are going to get back in the NCAAT picture, we need to go no worse than 4 - 3 with only 3 home games.  Gosh, winning the next two would be the 3rd sea change in the season in a month.

lol...But wouldn't it be fun!!!  Would love to have KY come to town with a lot riding on the outcome. 8-8 with wins over OU, Texass, Vols, and Cats would get us in the dance, no questions asked. Long ways to go, but it is achievable.

akp4105

I think we'll play a good game against them.. will it be enough to get it done? I dont know.. but we're gettin our "swagger" back as Jimmy Dykes would say... We'll play with intensity and give it our best shot.. I think it will be a good game.

Hogtropolis™

I still say the game today will dictate how the rest of our season goes.

If we win, then we will still be a force to be reckoned with in the SECW.

If we lose but keep it close (lose by less than 7), then we might still have a chance.

If we get blown out, this team is done and will be lucky to make the NIT, much less the NCAAT.

want2be

Quote from: PorkOpine on January 31, 2009, 11:19:55 am
LSU fans have been packing the PMAC lately.  This game could get ugly in a hurry. 

LSU is celebrating their 100 yrs of basketball today with alot of alum attending.......They will be juiced...........I just hope it is close.

40MINSOFHELL

HogWild09

I dont know why but we always lose when the game is on FSN. Whats up with that.
Well, ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man..