Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey should do a better job of coaching his PG...

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 29, 2009, 08:52:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogbody

Quote from: pigzwillrise on January 30, 2009, 12:08:34 pm
my apologies but i usually disregard the opinions of tennis players and females when it relates to basketball.. especially hog basketball

LOL!

LA Football fan

If Fortson had continued playing the way he played the last 4 games up to the Alabama game, I would have started feeling maybe we need to start or play someone else at the PG more myself.  The whole mission of a PG is to get their teammates involved in the offense.  The last 4 games, Fortson was trying to BE the offense and as a result his teammates were standing around or confused on just exactly what type offense they really were trying to run.  His turnovers were careless, his shot selection was horrendous, and he was killing any momemtum we were able to generate.  Last night he improved tremendously as far as getting the ball to his teammates.  His shot selection was light years ahead of the last 4 games but there still were instances where he just used poor judgement in trying to penetrate the defense when there was no chance of it happening.  That will improve as he plays more against SEC level competition.  But I agree with the premise that it is Pel's job to coach the mistakes out of Fortson.  Fortson may be good, but he is not so good (yet) that he can't be benched and a player inserted to bring the ball down the court and start our offense.  When you average 7 turnovers the last 4 games leading into the Bama game you have just cost your team a potential 14-21 points and given the other team the potential to score 14-21 points.  That type of point swing is what was helping get us behind by double digits and making it so hard to get back into the game and take the lead.  Our shooting slump didn't help much in that regard either, but you can shoot yourself out of a slump, it is really hard to overcome mistakes that are unforced.  The team still needs ton's of improvement on the defensive end, but getting Monk back should help give us some size and power on the defensive end that we have seriously missed.

hogfan064

Quote from: pigzwillrise on January 30, 2009, 12:08:34 pm
my apologies but i usually disregard the opinions of tennis players and females when it relates to basketball.. especially hog basketball

You also should know that this guy was once known as HorninMemphis.  He's not only a tennis player, but he's also a Longhorn!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogbody on January 30, 2009, 12:16:15 pm
LOL!
Yeah, I know what you mean. If I was a real man, I'd flit around a golf course in a cart and whack at a little stationary ball once every 3 or 4 minutes while I drank beer.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 30, 2009, 12:33:43 pm
If Fortson had continued playing the way he played the last 4 games up to the Alabama game, I would have started feeling maybe we need to start or play someone else at the PG more myself.  The whole mission of a PG is to get their teammates involved in the offense.  The last 4 games, Fortson was trying to BE the offense and as a result his teammates were standing around or confused on just exactly what type offense they really were trying to run.  His turnovers were careless, his shot selection was horrendous, and he was killing any momemtum we were able to generate.  Last night he improved tremendously as far as getting the ball to his teammates.  His shot selection was light years ahead of the last 4 games but there still were instances where he just used poor judgement in trying to penetrate the defense when there was no chance of it happening.  That will improve as he plays more against SEC level competition.  But I agree with the premise that it is Pel's job to coach the mistakes out of Fortson.  Fortson may be good, but he is not so good (yet) that he can't be benched and a player inserted to bring the ball down the court and start our offense.  When you average 7 turnovers the last 4 games leading into the Bama game you have just cost your team a potential 14-21 points and given the other team the potential to score 14-21 points.  That type of point swing is what was helping get us behind by double digits and making it so hard to get back into the game and take the lead.  Our shooting slump didn't help much in that regard either, but you can shoot yourself out of a slump, it is really hard to overcome mistakes that are unforced.  The team still needs ton's of improvement on the defensive end, but getting Monk back should help give us some size and power on the defensive end that we have seriously missed.
One of the few mature and intelligent posts on this thread.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: little pigee on January 30, 2009, 10:53:38 am
Is this a tennis forum? Bravo, Bruce.  Care to play some mixed doubles with Buffy and Princess?  Perhaps you should have stopped at the Club for a latte' and saved yourself the anguish and frustration of witnessing such a barbaric display of hedonism.

yep! what he said!! +1
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogtheball

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 30, 2009, 12:33:43 pm

thanks.  good post.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Hogbody

HogInM always seems to do whatever he can to rile up the masses

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Pork Twain

January 30, 2009, 05:37:23 pm #59 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:06:27 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2009, 08:01:08 am
Best freshman PG in the nation? You sure about that? You may get an argument from the Memphis Tiger fans on that one. As well as from Ole Miss fans. The freshman who played point for Ole Miss against the Hogs did a heck of a lot better job at the point that Fortson has done in any SEC game so far. And that kid isn't even a true PG.

If Pelphrey doesn't have anyone better to run the point, we're stuck with Fortson.
I see that becoming a mod has not changed the fact that you do not know what you are talking about.  I think I will give Pel some time and leave the coaching up to him, not HiM.  Fortson is a freshman along with many on this team and is only freshmen PG in the nation in the top 30 in assists and he comes in at #11.  Mayberry and Beck did not set the world on fire as freshmen either, but they turned out ok.  I am willing to give him time to grow into the role.  I would ask what your beef is with Pel but you seem to have a beef with every coach and act you could do better, and yet here you are complaining on a message board and there they are earning millions.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

akp4105

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2009, 08:03:57 am
I wasn't just "playing tennis". Not that it is any of your business, but I was in the finals of the Racquet Club's annual Indoor championships at 4.0 singles. Had to play whether the 0-5 Hogs were on TV or not.

I won.

hahahaha wow.. lets get on razorback basketball message board and talk about how good we are at tennis.. atleast tell me you scored 40 in a rec league bball game.. geez

As for Fortson, he is one of the best freshman PGs in the nation. He's our starting PG until he's done here. Love him or hate him.. thats the way its gonna be.

razorbacksR4ever

January 31, 2009, 10:18:54 am #61 Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:20:53 am by razorbacksR4ever
I do find it funny no one was saying this when we beat OU and TexaSS ! He does play reckless but with his talent he will grow .. you gotta take the good with the bad for now!