Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis Grizzlies' new head coach says no more meals prepared for players

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 28, 2009, 10:18:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

The team provides its players breakfast before practice and lunch afterwards. New coach Lionel Hollins stopped it this week as one of his first decisions as the new head coach. He said the players are grown men and don't need to be treated like kids.

Well, Mike Conley is not old enough to vote. He'd be a junior in college right now if he'd stayed and they would be giving him 3 meals a day. Not sure if any others on the team are as young as Conley.

I don't see the harm in making meals "communal" for the team. Not sure Hollins is focusing on the right issues right off the bat. Not a great start in my opinion.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

want2be

Based on how much money the franchise is losing, they hired a cheap coach and maybe cut out meals to save money. If they don't spend more money on players, it will continue to be the worst franchise is sports.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: want2be on January 28, 2009, 10:31:08 am

Based on how much money the franchise is losing, they hired a cheap coach and maybe cut out meals to save money. If they don't spend more money on players, it will continue to be the worst franchise is sports.

I thought the Detroit Lions and/or the Oklahoma City Thunder are the worst sports franchises. No?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

dennab

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 10:18:53 am
The team provides its players breakfast before practice and lunch afterwards. New coach Lionel Hollins stopped it this week as one of his first decisions as the new head coach. He said the players are grown men and don't need to be treated like kids.

Well, Mike Conley is not old enough to vote. He'd be a junior in college right now if he'd stayed and they would be giving him 3 meals a day. Not sure if any others on the team are as young as Conley.

I don't see the harm in making meals "communal" for the team. Not sure Hollins is focusing on the right issues right off the bat. Not a great start in my opinion.

I'm pretty confident that Conley is at least 18.  He might not be old enough to drink, but he's probably old enough to vote.  Maybe you meant vote in some other country. 

BTW, if he'd stayed in college, he wouldn't be a millionare and maybe he wouldn't be able to afford his own food.  These guys get these ridiculous contracts, get paid per deim on the road, and probably several other little perks... the least they can do (especially when they don't perform) is fix their own food.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: dennab on January 28, 2009, 10:54:40 am
I'm pretty confident that Conley is at least 18.  He might not be old enough to drink, but he's probably old enough to vote.  Maybe you meant vote in some other country. 

BTW, if he'd stayed in college, he wouldn't be a millionare and maybe he wouldn't be able to afford his own food.  These guys get these ridiculous contracts, get paid per deim on the road, and probably several other little perks... the least they can do (especially when they don't perform) is fix their own food.
I don't know why I said "vote". I meant drink. Weird brain farts happen once you hit about 45 or so.

Smithian

I like it. It is basically calling out a young team and telling them they're all adults and they need to start acting like it. It isn't meant to be the answer to all problems, but it is meant to signal the beginning of an attitude change.

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 10:37:03 am
I thought the Detroit Lions and/or the Oklahoma City Thunder are the worst sports franchises. No?
The Oklahoma City Thunder are going to be a good franchise. They're averaging over 90% attendance on a very crappy team. They have some very young pieces with Durant, Jeff Green, and Russell Westbrook. If they get Greg Monroe or Blake Griffin, they'll be really good down the road.

Quote from: want2be on January 28, 2009, 10:31:08 amBased on how much money the franchise is losing, they hired a cheap coach and maybe cut out meals to save money. If they don't spend more money on players, it will continue to be the worst franchise is sports.
Sooner rather than later, pure talent on the Grizzlies is going to win out. I mean, right now, they're pretty tight to watch and they compete. OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay are a championship duo with the right pieces and they're very young. Marc Gasol is a banger and a double double threat down low, Darrell Arthur is a young prospect at the forward spot, and if any of their four PGs(Francis, Javaris Crittenton, Conley, Kyle Lowry)start doing anything, they'll win some games. If they find a good, defensive minded coach, they'll be very good down the road.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 10:37:03 am
No.  Wiz have a worse record than OCT, barely, and have achieved it w/out the turmoil of a move, new ownership, a young team w/ its best players playing out of position, and little depth.

So as bad as OCT as been, the Wiz and Kings and Grizz don't have near the excuses.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Smithian

The Kings have willing ownership, they jsut are terrible. The Wizards quite possibly have the chance at being the new LA Clippers.

Anon2

Smithian

Quote from: Anon2 on January 28, 2009, 04:58:38 pm
Smithian, what are these pieces you talk about?
I guess your talking about the Grizzlies. They have two young emerging super star wings in OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay.

1. They need a PG so OJ Mayo can be a true SG where he is best at. If he wants, he can handle the ball in the fourth, but the Grizzlies need a PG who can take over the ball handling duties for most of the game. Mike Conley if he develops could handle this role... Crittenton is an explosive, shoot first PG which is what they don't need.
2. They need a true bruiser at the four. Marc Gasol wants to play offense, not defense. Darrell Arthurd could make this happen. Darko Milicic has turned into an excellent defender and shot blocker(Which is shocking considering he was supposed to be a great offensive player...), but is not a true 4.
3. Veterans. They need a veteran bench.
4. A defensive minded head coach who is preferably young. Avery Johnson would be perfect here.

If the Grizzlies get some of those things, they'll be a very good team. They could be definate contenders... And the ownership atleast is trying after shipping Pau off. Kevin Love for OJ Mayo was an easy decision for them, but it was shocking for the Grizzlies considering they took on two awful, big contracts in Antoine Walker and Marko Jaric.

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

HogK

Memphis breakfast= 5 Hardee's egg and sausage biscuits.
Memphis lunch= 3 jumbo pulled pork sandwiches from Interstate BBQ and a large order of rings.

They're gonna become "grown" men alright.  Their waist will "grow" 3 sizes.

Hoggy1

Quote from: HogK on January 28, 2009, 10:13:04 pm
Memphis breakfast= 5 Hardee's egg and sausage biscuits.
Memphis lunch= 3 jumbo pulled pork sandwiches from Interstate BBQ and a large order of rings.

They're gonna become "grown" men alright.  Their waist will "grow" 3 sizes.

High carb diet maybe?

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

sofullofwayne

Well if anyone knows the NBA like I do, they know the Grizzlies are not a franchise focused on winning. They continuously make bonehead decisions and the front office is just full of crackheads. I was watching the Pistons @ Grizzlies for a little bit several days ago, and the announcers were just bashing the Grizzlies personnel hardcore. Rightfully so.

This is the same franchise that gave away Pau Gasol to the Lakers for a bag of Lays. Of course NBA addicts know the Grizz were paid heavily under the table to do that, in which ironically Jerry West used to be their GM. Red flags galore.

Of course the Lakers are the sweethearts of the NBA, they get by with whatever they want. Bynum cheap shots Gerald Wallace last night, and he's in the hospital with a collapsed lung. No fines, no suspensions. They won a fixed game 6 of a WCF series against the Kings several years ago, which there are numerous videos prove the foul calls were just money for the refs. Hell even the ref that got caught and squealed like a pig even broke down and said that game was fixed. You can even go to the playoff series against the Spurs 2 years later, where Derek Fisher makes a game winning .4 second shot, in which the very next day commish David Stern and the NBA issued a statement and a letter to the San Antonio Spurs saying sorry, and that video evidence showed the shot should not have counted. That's really pathetic... because at the end of that game the refs reviewed the play and STILL counted the basket.

Suddenly, you die in a car wreck. Everyone is shocked. Wonder how your family, wife or son/daughter is coping? Now stop for a second and think, did they truly know how much you loved them? Well, go make sure...

DMacIsASaint

They need a point guard and if gasol pans out, one more consistent power forward. They have three first round picks in the next two years, so hopefully that can happen. Or maybe theyll keep getting screwed in the lottery, and theyll be off to las vegas in a few years.

NuttinItUp

Well, Mike Conley is not old enough to vote.
You only have to be 18 to vote. Did you mean not old enough to drink?

BigSexyHog

These guys make a ton of money.... If they lose out on Breakfast and Lunch at and before practice they can handle it themselves.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawgsav1

it's not a matter of 'losing out' on breakfast and lunch.  I can bet you the food that they're getting at the team compound is of better quality than what these kids will eat at home.  They probably get much healthier food at the team compound than they do elsewhere.  I can bet you these kids are going to go home right after practice and gorge down some McDonalds or Taco Bell, instead of eating something healthy.  The Grizzlies have made an investment in their team, and that includes the health of their players.  Why not ensure that by providing a healthier food option?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

thirtythree

What a great example of increasing the unemployment rate for the cook staff.

Couldn't he just wait until the crisis in America is over.