Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clemson Forum...

Started by ambien_sky, December 09, 2017, 09:25:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

December 09, 2017, 09:25:54 am Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:45:21 am by ambien_sky
About the Chad Morris hire.  They have several topics about it.  below is one of my favorite posts on there.  It was responding to a couple of people talking bad about Morris,  after his Team Meeting speech to our players was posted there.  (90% of them praise him)   //https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/I-know-imitation-is-flattery-but-Chad-Morris-seems-to-1764173?tstart=0

'Jeez, what an unappreciative bunch of a-holes in this thread. Whether you like it or not, Chad was the one who kick-started Clemson's revival and eventual climb to the top. Our offense has continued to be good even without him at Clemson, but they still operate on all the same principals and he was a great mentor to Scott & Elliot.

"He's taking too much credit for x,y,z"...he was responsible or heavily involved in all of the things he claimed. On top of that, he's trying to inspire his new players and give them a reason to believe in him. Of course he's going to try to sell his accomplishments.

"He's copying Dabo with how he talks/acts"...uhhhh, ya think? He and Dabo are friends. They coached together and learned from one another. Of course he's going to have a lot of similarities. Let me ask this: are you guys upset that we still run Chad's offense? It's not Dabo's or ScElliot's, after all. Of course you're not, because that's what Chad shared with our program, and we benefited, learned and evolved it. Chad is doing the same exact thing on his end and good on him for doing so. Wouldn't you be more offended if he went elsewhere and had ZERO influence from Dabo?

I also don't understand why people are saying he's "fake" or "a used car salesman". How so? Because he left Clemson? Chad never made it a secret that his goal was to become a head coach. Dabo knew this, and even did his best to promote Chad to other programs! We all know Dabo is a fantastic coach, but there's some major revisionist history going on here, with people crediting Dabo for things Chad did (like recruiting Deshaun). Without Chad, who the heck knows where we would be right now...the guy did amazing things for Clemson, brought in the program's best player of all time, and was such a good, selfless coach that his successors were able to fully understand his offensive principals and run with them!'

You guys sound like a bunch of ungrateful #####.'

PORKULATOR

I've been popping in and out of tigernet. Most think we got a homerun hire.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

EastTNHog

This is the definition of click bait lol

texas tush hog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 09, 2017, 09:31:31 am

According to Terry Don Phillips we did. Let's wait and see. Terry Don carries a lot of weight with me. Bo Mattingly Trey Biddy, Clay, Otis and Wally not so much.

lakecityhog

Wally not so much, what about Porkatarian???

texas tush hog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 09, 2017, 09:37:22 am
Wally not so much, what about Porkatarian???

Wally ain't Porkatarian, nasty rumor.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 09, 2017, 09:40:05 am

And I suspect Porkatarian thanks his lucky stars every day that he's not.  ;) :D 8)

dayofthehawg1

When Bielema left Wisconsin, they couldn't have been any happier.  We were warned.  And that fan base was correct in what they said.  From the moment Jen Bielema trolled the Wisconsin fan base with the Twitter of "KARMA" Bret got it in spades...   Thankfully, with Chad Morris, this is completely different.  I see a Clemson fan base that adores this HC.  That is trying to protect him from our fan base and the negativity.  That tells me everything that I need to know.  Until proven otherwise, CCM is the real deal.

PorkRinds

Quote from: dayofthehawg1 on December 09, 2017, 10:04:10 am
When Bielema left Wisconsin, they couldn't have been any happier.  We were warned.  And that fan base was correct in what they said.  From the moment Jen Bielema trolled the Wisconsin fan base with the Twitter of "KARMA" Bret got it in spades...   Thankfully, with Chad Morris, this is completely different.  I see a Clemson fan base that adores this HC.  That is trying to protect him from our fan base and the negativity.  That tells me everything that I need to know.  Until proven otherwise, CCM is the real deal.
I like the guy. The hire was pretty good. But until he proves otherwise he's 14-23 as a head coach.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: dayofthehawg1 on December 09, 2017, 10:04:10 am
What about the SMU fan base that was so supportive on game day?

Melancholy_Pigg

I think some of the HV grammar police should read some ofnthem posts.

oldhawg

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 09, 2017, 10:13:17 am
What about the SMU fan base that was so supportive on game day?

Similar to Arkansas, that support was increasing with wins, just as it will at Arkansas.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: oldhawg on December 09, 2017, 10:26:02 am

Similar to Arkansas, that support was increasing with wins, just as it will at Arkansas.
Respectfully disagree, my point in replying was that the post mentioned the clemson fan base where he hasnt coached for years rather than SMU who appears largely apathetic as witnessed by game attendance in his most successful year.

Superham

I am completely willing to give him a chance. But only time is going to tell.  It is true he walked into a dumpster fire at SMU and in his third year had seemingly turned it around. But I also remember most folks around here thought CBB had us heading in the right direction at the end of year 3 also. Many were predicting 9 and 10 win seasons for year 4.  That being said, I will be behind him until he shows he can't do the job.

Inhogswetrust

December 09, 2017, 10:45:12 am #14 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:58:19 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PorkRinds on December 09, 2017, 10:10:56 am
I like the guy. The hire was pretty good. But until he proves otherwise he's 14-23 as a head coach.

Did you happen to see our best coach winning percentage wise had a losing record before coming here...............................he also started to build it to a winner over several years. Sounds familiar huh. He actually had a BIG losing record over his first three years prior to coming here 8-24-1. He didn't win until his forth and fifth years. None other than Ken Hatfield. By the way he's been a head coach at four college programs and is only 50/50 for a winning record at those four. Don't get me wrong I think he is a really good coach but circumstances are ALWAYS different based on where one is at. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 09, 2017, 10:40:31 am
Respectfully disagree, my point in replying was that the post mentioned the clemson fan base where he hasnt coached for years rather than SMU who appears largely apathetic as witnessed by game attendance in his most successful year.

This guy's opinion has been echoed many times already from SMU fans and players:

https://soundcloud.com/arkansasrazorbackspodcast/episode-315-hogs-got-them-a-good-one-with-chad-morris

They are extremely disappointed to see him go.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

farmhawg

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 10:50:04 am
This guy's opinion has been echoed many times already from SMU fans and players:

https://soundcloud.com/arkansasrazorbackspodcast/episode-315-hogs-got-them-a-good-one-with-chad-morris

You can't argue with some of these knuckleheads that loved Bret.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 10:50:04 am

I am sure there are soundbytes that support both sides, my point was more about getting butts in seats which typically correlates to wins and losses.  Completely agree the program was trending the right direction but fan support was still near bottom of college football.
https://www.google.com/amp/usatodayhss.com/2017/fridays-are-for-the-teens-hs-football-outdraws-smu-team-on-verge-of-bowl-eligibility/amp

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 09, 2017, 10:40:31 am

Have you seen any TCU games?  Their games are not well attended and they were in the top 10 for much of the season.  What about the Memphis SMU game in Memphis this year and the Tigers with but one loss.  Their attendance was as bad as the last Arkansas game, for crying out loud. 

SMU's offense is fun to watch.  As will Arkansas' be.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 09, 2017, 11:24:19 am
I am sure there are soundbytes that support both sides, my point was more about getting butts in seats which typically correlates to wins and losses.  Completely agree the program was trending the right direction but fan support was still near bottom of college football.
https://www.google.com/amp/usatodayhss.com/2017/fridays-are-for-the-teens-hs-football-outdraws-smu-team-on-verge-of-bowl-eligibility/amp

Everything about SMU was near the bottom of college football.  That's the reason it was such a difficult program to rebuild.  The ones that were paying attention are the ones you should seek the opinions of, certainly not the ones that were not paying attention.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

rickm1976

I didn't know much about him other than he had been gradually turning SMU around.  I was underwhelmed when we hired him.  Since, I have heard first hand from someone who coached with him (at a university - not HS), and apparently we have hired a much better coach and person than what many of us first thought.  The PTB may have hit a home run, contrary to what I first thought.

wildhogman

Quote from: farmhawg on December 09, 2017, 11:23:33 am
You can’t argue with some of these knuckleheads that loved Bret.
This one statement is why the split in the fan base caused by the Nutt still exists. It cant ever be a fan didn't like bret and still questions our leadership on hiring the next coach. No sir!!!! it has to be and ONLY be, if you don't like CM, your a dang bret lover.  SMDH. 
And consider some you are enabling don't love bret. They pine for petrino, or St Gus. 
How about they just become "concerned HOG FANS'.  sheeeeeesh
Orrrrrrr, you can continue to assist the Nutt in keeping that split in our fan base. Your choice

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 09, 2017, 11:27:12 am
Have you seen any TCU games?  Their games are not well attended and they were in the top 10 for much of the season.  What about the Memphis SMU game in Memphis this year and the Tigers with but one loss.  Their attendance was as bad as the last Arkansas game, for crying out loud. 

SMU's offense is fun to watch.  As will Arkansas' be.
I'm hopeful that we have big improvements on both sides of the ball and are fun to watch.  As for the other points, TCU and Memphis both have much higher attendance than SMU

JONAS

I don't really give a damn what Clemson fans think of our hire. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 11:36:20 am
Everything about SMU was near the bottom of college football.  That's the reason it was such a difficult program to rebuild.  The ones that were paying attention are the ones you should seek the opinions of, certainly not the ones that were not paying attention.
I understand where you are coming from.  I just think more people pay attention when your win totals are higher, everyone loves cinderella.  Frost had a similar situation as did PJ Fleck.  Fleck is probably a better example because he was the next big thing and Minnesota is probably a decent comparison to us.  Either way im hopeful that better resources and fanbase help get him and our team to levels we can get excited about.

The Kig

Quote from: wildhogman on December 09, 2017, 11:45:05 am
This one statement is why the split in the fan base caused by the Nutt still exists. It cant ever be a fan didn't like bret and still questions our leadership on hiring the next coach. No sir!!!! it has to be and ONLY be, if you don't like CM, your a dang bret lover.  SMDH. 
And consider some you are enabling don't love bret. They pine for petrino, or St Gus. 
How about they just become "concerned HOG FANS'.  sheeeeeesh
Orrrrrrr, you can continue to assist the Nutt in keeping that split in our fan base. Your choice

Amen!!!!!!   My initial dislike and continued transition from skepticism to cautious optimism has ZERO to do with Bret, Gus, Petrino, Nutt, Ford, Hatfield, Broyles or any other coach in Hog history.  Never understand why we can't have honest conversations about legitimate concerns without it becoming a pissing match. 
Poker Porker

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 09, 2017, 09:40:05 am

lol. than why didnt he refute it? Why did he basically confirm it?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

cowboy_hawg

I for one was happy with the hire of Bret when it was made.  I fully supported the RAZORBACKS and the coaches that came and went.  But, thru the course of season 4 and 5 I was ready for a change.  Coach Morris wasn't as high on my wish list as other fans had him (that is why it was my wishlist).  Now my support has swung since the hiring, I'll support  the Razorbacks, Coach Morris,and whoever he brings in as staff.   I will support this team and coaches as long as they are employed by the UofA.  I'm a Razorback fan first and fan of the coach second.
cowboy_hawg

HawgwildinMI

Wonder how much they'll love him when we hire Venebales lol?

Hoggish1

Right.  There are only a few ingrates on that forum.  Most are grateful he passed their way once.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HawgwildinMI on December 09, 2017, 12:51:07 pm
Wonder how much they'll love him when we hire Venebales lol?
I predict marriage proposals on Hogville.

EastTexasHog

CM is a homerun hire.  And I am talking about an Aaron Judge hit homerun.

Smashmouth2004

I was impressed with him after watching his first team meeting with our players. I thought our players had gotten soft under Bielema because he wanted to be everyone's friend. Morris first comments were, feet on floor, sit up straight and put up your drinks! Clearly Daddy Ball is in the rear view mirror and those players who were content to slack off better take notice.
NOTICE: This post was not meant to comment or disparage about any player either real or fictional. 🤓

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 09, 2017, 11:46:04 am
I'm hopeful that we have big improvements on both sides of the ball and are fun to watch.  As for the other points, TCU and Memphis both have much higher attendance than SMU

Yes, and both of them had better records.  What I'm saying is teams like TCU, like Memphis, like SMU are never going to have great attendance in this day and age.  The apathy has nothing to do with the coach, the style of play, or the record.  The record may help some but, still, SMU hasn't been relevant since 1984.

Calling All Hogs

December 09, 2017, 08:51:44 pm #34 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:14:34 pm by Calling All Hogs
The Clemson fans that were negative seemed mostly upset that CCM left Clemson rather than with his coaching. A lot of them sure seem like entitled a-holes considering Tommy Bowden was their coach for 10 years up until 2009 and then Swinney didn't take off until he hired Chad Morris.

farmhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 09, 2017, 01:09:57 pm
I predict marriage proposals on Hogville.
You can keep dreaming but I am not proposing to you.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 09, 2017, 08:51:44 pm
The Clemson fans that were negative seemed mostly upset that CCM left Clemson rather than with his coaching. A lot of them sure seem like a entitled a-holes considering Tommy Bowden was their coach for 10 years up until 2009 and then Swinney didn't take off until he hired Chad Morris.

Yeah. That was my take. "He's not here anymore so he sucks. Coaches have no effect on Clemson because WE are Clemson." With a few exceptions, like the one the OP quoted.

racinghog

Quote from: JONAS on December 09, 2017, 11:51:55 am
I don't really give a damn what Clemson fans think of our hire. 
You should

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 09, 2017, 01:42:53 pm
Yes, and both of them had better records.  What I'm saying is teams like TCU, like Memphis, like SMU are never going to have great attendance in this day and age.  The apathy has nothing to do with the coach, the style of play, or the record.  The record may help some but, still, SMU hasn't been relevant since 1984.
I feel like you are making my point for me.  Your reference to 1984 is the last 10 win season they had, which made them relevant.  6-8 wins just makes you average, and that doesnt fill stadiums.  He may be a good coach, may be a great coach, SMU is a tough gig but bottom line he didn'nt win enough to get the fanbase engaged.  Hopefully he continues an upward trajectory here because the cupboard isnt bare.