Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who made the best hire?

Started by ambien_sky, December 08, 2017, 09:41:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

seasonhog

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 08, 2017, 09:41:18 am
Florida (Mullen)?   Texas AM (Fisher)?  Tennessee (Pruitt)?  UCLA (Chip Kelly)?  Arkansas (Morris)?    My list goes like this.  (And NO i'm not being bias. It's what I really think.

1: Morris
2  Kelly
2: Mullen
3: Pruitt
4: Fisher.

I think the Aggies made a HUGE and expensive mistake with Jimbo Fisher.  What are your thoughts?

When Bielema was hired .....poster could not contain their selves....going by BB records it looked like a good hire.....we know how that turned out.

Morris record at SMU in three years ....not that good....some posters can not contain them selves.

I believed Bielema would fail from the beginning...& he did.

Morris may turn out to be the right coach instead of JJ money hire.

But, before some of you guys wet on yourselves.....wait & see.

MO has a State motto...." SHOW ME "

Hoggish1

Quote from: hog of steele on December 08, 2017, 11:02:46 am
There is no doubt fisher has had some success and can handle a big program. But he ran from issues at FSU. The pressure won't go down on the heals of monthly half million dollar checks. I would take fisher in a second if we could get him for what we are paying CCM

No way. 

Fisher is the guy that people think will do wonders only to find that some of his battery cells are flawed.  He can't keep a charge and eventually needs to be replaced.  But before you've decided to make the move you find he's drained your account, poisoned your players' minds and ruined your program.

FSU's program and tradition was strong enough to withstand that dude but TAMU's isn't...

pumphog

How about worst hire.  Herm Edwards at ASU. He's on ESPN today  still doing his NFL gig. I bet that fan base is excited.

Hoggish1

Quote from: pumphog on December 08, 2017, 11:14:31 am
How about worst hire.  Herm Edwards at ASU. He's on ESPN today  still doing his NFL gig. I bet that fan base is excited.

Oh jeebus, what were they thinking?  He has to be the worst HC hire this year  and it isn't even close...

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 08, 2017, 11:13:51 am
No way. 

Fisher is the guy that people think will do wonders only to find that some of his battery cells are flawed.  He can't keep a charge and eventually needs to be replaced.  But before you've decided to make the move you find he's drained your account, poisoned your players' minds and ruined your program.

FSU's program and tradition was strong enough to withstand that dude but TAMU's isn't...
LOL Tell me how ya REALLY feel.

casken

I think Florida. Time will tell but Mullen is a very good coach who has had limited resources...now...could be nasty!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

longtimeHogfan

The best was probably Florida.  But CBB just might put the 'Fun' back in Razorback football.  It's going to be interesting.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

je100

Quote from: hog of steele on December 08, 2017, 11:02:46 am
There is no doubt fisher has had some success and can handle a big program. But he ran from issues at FSU. The pressure won't go down on the heals of monthly half million dollar checks. I would take fisher in a second if we could get him for what we are paying CCM

I wouldn't want Fisher.  Reminds me of Danny Ford - without the intellect.  Ford was more accomplished than Jimbo, by the way.

I would rather have Taggert.

Grunt

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 08, 2017, 09:46:21 am
Based on fit and upside, I’d say it’s close between us and Florida with us getting a very slight edge.
I agree with this but would still have chosen Morris. I believe Morris was going to be a legend wherever he went.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Tusks

Morris seems to have pieces of a puzzle but he's got to get that puzzle put together ASAP and make something of it.

I don't know how you can think he was the best hire of the group.   He may turn out to be the best hire but like said above.  He has some 'show me' for the program.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Florida, tamu, then the hogs. Not bad considering.

carolinahogger

December 08, 2017, 11:42:50 am #61 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:54:20 am by carolinahogger
Quote from: je100 on December 08, 2017, 10:48:50 am
Half of his tenure at FSU (four out of eight years), he has lost at least three ACC conference games. On the whole, he well under-performed his predecessor, yet Jimbo did win the big one - and had a couple of other really strong years. 

Here are the facts.  You can look them up online:
1.  Winning percentage at FSU: Bowden .760,  Fisher .783
2.  Fisher lost at least three ACC games in three out of eight seasons, not four.

And here is an opinion to sweeten it a little further:  Bowden padded his record with easy conference wins when FSU entered the ACC.  Bowden lost only 6 conference games in his first 12 years in the ACC.  The ACC was a weak sister conference then.  Subsequently the conference overall has brought up their overall level of play and can play with the big boys.  Fisher never got to play the 'soft' ACC as a head coach.

Oliver

1.  Jimbo Fisher
2.  Dan Mullen
3.  Chad Morris
4.  Joe Moorhead
5.  Jeremy Pruitt
6.  Matt Luke

I really don't know how else you would rank them other than maybe switching Pruitt and Moorhead.  This is pretty much how I've seen others rank the hires.  Although some are giving Pruitt more love than I think he deserves right now. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogwild

UCLA & Florida had the best hires. 

A&M overpaid but it isn't my money and they got a quality coach.  I think we did better than Tennessee and Ole Miss.  I have no clue with regard to Miss. State.

porkrindjimmy

Florida (Mullen)?   Texas AM (Fisher)?  Tennessee (Pruitt)?  UCLA (Chip Kelly)?  Arkansas (Morris)?    My list goes like this.  (And NO i'm not being bias. It's what I really think.

2  Kelly

I think the Aggies made a HUGE and expensive mistake with Jimbo Fisher.  What are your thoughts?

We did....and it isn't even close.

Jimbo Fisher is Houston Nutt with more talent....

It will be epic to watch Aggie burn...

PRJ

elksnort

Without looking at anyone else's response I will say that I don't know who made the best hire, because they have not been through a season yet.

I think Florida made the most "for sure" hire.
Tennessee's coach does not sound very good in interviews. This dude is from the redneck stock (not trying to be mean) although he might turn out great for them. He just does not seem very Head coach like.
I don't know enough about Mississippi State's hire. I guess he did well in Happy Valley.
Ole Miss' guy is just holding the ship together for a few years.
Our guy I think will get it done if he can field some semblance of a defense.
Texas A&M is the like the rich wasteful stupid person. I hope and bet they will not make it to Atlanta while their hyped up hillbilly coaches there.

To sum it up, Florida will be winning big again. I think our guy will at least get us where we will not look like garbage as with CBB tenure. Tennessee and A&M are retards (apologize to the special people out there).

Oliver

Quote from: elksnort on December 08, 2017, 11:48:27 am
Without looking at anyone else's response I will say that I don't know who made the best hire, because they have not been through a season yet.

That's why my rankings are based on what they have done and not what they will do.  That's really all you have to go on other than blind speculation.  Hell in 5 years from now, Matt Luke may be the best of the bunch. 

Hogwild

Quote from: pumphog on December 08, 2017, 11:14:31 am

Did you see his press conference? He didn't even know that Arizona's nickname was devils.  Can't believe that Arizona State would fire a coach who had a 46-31 and just led them to his 5 bowl game in 6 years to hire a coach that is 30 games below .500 as a HC.

je100

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 08, 2017, 11:42:50 am
2.  Fisher lost at least three ACC games in three out of eight seasons, not four.

And here is an opinion to sweeten it a little further:  Bowden padded his record with easy conference wins when FSU entered the ACC.  The ACC was a weak sister conference then.  Subsequently the conference overall has brought up their overall level of play and can play with the big boys.  Fact:  Bowden lost only 6 conference games in his first 12 years in the ACC.  Fisher never got to play the 'soft' ACC as a head coach.

Jimbo lost at least three conference games in 2010, 2011, 2016, and 2017 and had a worse conference record than Bowden (Bowden was .759 and Jimbo is .739).  Maybe the ACC is stronger now than what it was when Bowden was coaching FSU in the ACC.  I don't know the answer to that.

carolinahogger

Quote from: je100 on December 08, 2017, 11:53:31 am
Jimbo lost at least three conference games in 2010, 2011, 2016, and 2017 and had a worse conference record than Bowden (Bowden was .759 and Jimbo is .739).  Maybe the ACC is stronger now than what it was when Bowden was coaching FSU in the ACC.  I don't know the answer to that.

2010 record    10–4 (6–2 ACC)

Bowden lost 2 conference games in his first 9 seasons in the ACC.  The conference was horrendously weak then.  That padded his overall record and especially his conference record.  You originally stated: "On the whole, he well under-performed his predecessor..."  On the whole.  Now you are backing up and using only their conference records.  Even then, a 2% difference is "well under-performed"?

1highhog

My 1st would have to be Mullen to Florida.   I really like our hire of Morris, mainly because we got a bargain compared to what all the other schools had to pay out, and, I think he'll help our recruiting go up alot, only time will tell.  I'll put us in 2nd.  After that I'll go with Chip Kelly 3rd and then Jimbo comes in at 4th place, I don't even care to rank the rest.

je100

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 08, 2017, 11:58:32 am
2010 record    10–4 (6–2 ACC)

I'm seeing 6-3.  Looks like they lost the ACC championship game, which would make you probably more correct than me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Fisher

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: je100 on December 08, 2017, 10:11:23 am
Kelly
Mullen / Morris
Morris
Fisher
Pruitt

See my bump.

I'm not sure how automatic Chip Kelly's system fits at UCLA right now. But still, he's been out of the game and is rested. And he should be fired up about football in Los Angeles, and having Southern Cal across town to keep him hungry. This was a good get for the Bruins.

Mullen having better athletes at Florida is a scary thought. He will get them back on track. And Morris is on that same level, just with a program that's down a bit right now. (Still amazing that we thumped Florida last year.)

hawgfan4life

Kelly will not achieve at UCLA what he did at Oregon.  What he did offensively at Oregon was new to college football and winning at that level was new to Oregon.  Oregon had the Nike money and the flashy uniforms, etc to generate excitement.  It was a perfect storm for success.  Yet, it has subsided, HUNH offense isn't the new toy, Oregon isn't the sexy, hot new girl for the recruits anymore, and Oregon wasn't fully on the up and up with how it built and maintained success.  Kelly is not as young and hungry as he was and the dynamics of UCLA will be considerably different in UCLA than they were at Oregon.  Think Charlie from Louisville to Texas.  The politics and other pressures at Texas completely changed and his success didn't translate.  I predict this for Kelly and Fisher at A&M.  Fisher's teams finished ranked worse than they started more years than not.  Much of his success was built around one player much like Sumlin's was with one player at A&M.  Both will be successful, but I will be surprised if either become what Clemson and AL are currently.

Mullin knows how to build a team and I believe he is still hungry for success.  I think FL made a great hire.  AR dodged a bullet.  We are getting exactly who we need at the moment from all indications.

Really hard to say who is the best.  We will know in about 4 years.  However, I like what I see and wouldn't trade any of those for who we hired at the moment.

Hoggish1

December 08, 2017, 12:07:46 pm #75 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:28:35 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 08, 2017, 11:17:06 am
LOL Tell me how ya REALLY feel.

Do you really want to know? lol

Hoggish1

Quote from: je100 on December 08, 2017, 11:26:06 am
I wouldn't want Fisher.  Reminds me of Danny Ford - without the intellect.  Ford was more accomplished than Jimbo, by the way.

I would rather have Taggert.

Yep.  FSU is ecstatic!

carolinahogger

Quote from: je100 on December 08, 2017, 12:03:23 pm
I'm seeing 6-3.  Looks like they lost the ACC championship game, which would make you probably more correct than me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Fisher

Got it.  They lost 3 games to conference foes, but only 2 in the regular season.  I suppose that could be seen either way.

Hoggish1

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 08, 2017, 11:42:50 am

And here is an opinion to sweeten it a little further:  Bowden padded his record with easy conference wins when FSU entered the ACC.  Bowden lost only 6 conference games in his first 12 years in the ACC.  The ACC was a weak sister conference then.  Subsequently the conference overall has brought up their overall level of play and can play with the big boys.  Fisher never got to play the 'soft' ACC as a head coach.

Two things:

Bowden had to build that program to begin with.  Yes Bill Peterson had some nice years and was quirky and funny but Bowden put the pieces together.  He did it by playing the toughest schedule in the country and doing it on the road so he could get his foot in the door.

Fisher took over a machine and slowly ran it into the ground.  Fisher has very fine football mind.  But, he plays games with his skill guys, especially his QBs.  Toward the end he put too much pressure on these pieces.  He apparently thought he could just out score people and let the D go to hell while being a control freak on the side of the ball he cared most about.

Hogarusa

Chip to UCLA is best hire.
Jimbo to A&M 2nd, they have the money and i dont care how they spend it.
Mullen to FL
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Bigfoot

Quote from: hoghiker on December 08, 2017, 11:10:01 am
Several national beat writers were way less thrilled about Arkansas hire than Hog fans. Anyone with ties to Clemson have really talked Morris up but the reminder of pundits have dissed Morris pretty hard.  It's a scrap shoot. I'll wait till the dice stop.

Kirk Herbstreit loves the hire.

He also mentioned he likes the AD hire, too.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogwild on December 08, 2017, 11:52:21 am
Did you see his press conference? He didn't even know that Arizona's nickname was devils.  Can't believe that Arizona State would fire a coach who had a 46-31 and just led them to his 5 bowl game in 6 years to hire a coach that is 30 games below .500 as a HC.

Yeah, Arizona State did with their program what Illinois did to theirs hiring Lovie Smith.  Advice to these programs would be don't chase washed out NFL coaches.  They don't have the energy or the people skills to start working their asses off chasing 18 year olds...

HamGrowsOnTrees

Lol..

Bawahahhaha

Revisionist homers lol

Redhogs

Quote from: RazorNick on December 08, 2017, 09:49:42 am
Other than Mullen, I think we made the best hire. I was watching Finebaum yesterday after the Tennessee presser and he and his 2 radio cohorts were discussing grading the hires in the SEC. Here are the grades they gave each.

Mullen   A
Fisher    A
Moorehead  A-
Pruitt   A
Morris  C

I laughed. They were pumping Pruitt (Finebaum Ten Grad) hard and went on to say his dad was a High School coach so that makes him a good choice. No mention of Morris and his 16 years HS coaching career. I think they are jealous since Paul had been bringing up Morris's name in the Ten search all week.
Yea i saw that...more FB love as usual.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Augustus on December 08, 2017, 10:57:54 am
I guess it depends on the definition of "best"

UCLA probably made the best hire. Big name in a weaker P5 conference, in a fertile recruiting ground, with an offensive scheme that will play well.

Jimbo at A&M will most likely have some very good years. I mean, hell... he's got a decade to get it done. But A&M were morons to give him that kind of contract with that kind of $$$. The 1st season he goes 6-6 they will be sick of him and won't be able to do anything about it.

Florida did really well getting Dan Mullen. Arkansas wanted him before Malzahn was offered.  But, Mullen was a fool for not keeping Randy Shannon on Florida's staff.

Arkansas? I think we're top 3, assuming CCM can bring in a good Def Co. I think CCM has the offensive scheme, energy, and personality to recruit good talent & turn kids into playmakers.  But... time will tell.

Tennessee? I think they made a solid hire, but Pruitt won't be the next Kirby Smart. Georgia & Florida are going to be battling for control of the SEC East the next 5 years.

Ole Miss & Mississippi State?  LOLOLOL

So...
1) UCLA
2) Florida
3) Arkansas
4) A&M (ranked here because of their dumba** contract)
5) Tennessee

Agree with the narrative and ranking.  Especially agree with the comment about Shannon/Mullen.  If he couldn't coach a lick, Shannon should have been retained to recruit south Florida.

Bob Stoops' assistant coach theory is hire two or three coaches that excel at on field teaching and coaching; then fill the balance of the staff with top notch recruiters and keep them recruiting from campus or on the read as much as the NCAA allows.

My opinion: assistant coaches making a significant difference coaching athletes is way over rated.  Doesn't matter how good a coach is if he doesn't have talent to coach.  Have to have recruiters to get the high level players.

I hope Morris understands that.  Bielema didn't, IMO.

hobhog

Let's hope Fischer does just enough to not get fired for a while. But he ain't worth what they are paying him. No way.

Arthur pigby sellers.

My ratings:
1. Kelly
2. Mullen
3. Fisher
4. Morris
5. Pruitt

I'm ok with Morris but Arkansas fans would be going crazy if we got one of my top 3.

How most non Arkansans rate:
Top 3 in different depending where you live: Kelly, Fisher and Mullins
4. Morris
5. Pruitt

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Hogwild on December 08, 2017, 11:52:21 am

I understand it perfectly.  Doesn't matter who the new coach is or what his record is; just hiring someone new to create a little excitement (see CCM) to fill the cool aid glasses to the brim and keep the donations coming in and the season ticket packages going out. 

We've been doing it since JFB resigned as HC to move up to full time ADing.  Hired 9 coaches since JFB gave up the HC job, counting John L.

Bigfoot

Pruitt stole Saban's "aight" and took it to Knoxville.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: seasonhog on December 08, 2017, 11:11:47 am

When Bielema was hired .....poster could not contain their selves....going by BB records it looked like a good hire.....we know how that turned out.

Morris record at SMU in three years ....not that good....some posters can not contain them selves.

I believed Bielema would fail from the beginning...& he did.

Morris may turn out to be the right coach instead of JJ money hire.

But, before some of you guys wet on yourselves.....wait & see.

MO has a State motto...." SHOW ME "

From day one, I didn't like the Bielema hire.  Couldn't wait for him to be gone.  Very rich as he was turned out.

Want to be all in with Morris but the one thing he has to do well at is recruiting.  If he can bring in difference makers in sufficient numbers, he can win.  If not, Razorback Nation will be calling for a new coach in about year four or five. 

seasonhog

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on December 08, 2017, 01:18:12 pm
From day one, I didn't like the Bielema hire.  Couldn't wait for him to be gone.  Very rich as he was turned out.

Want to be all in with Morris but the one thing he has to do well at is recruiting.  If he can bring in difference makers in sufficient numbers, he can win.  If not, Razorback Nation will be calling for a new coach in about year four or five.

Morris offence is a style ...we need at AR.......unlike Bielema offence....which I knew would not work....plus his big mouth.....

Nothing wrong with being behind the new coach.....but thinking he is a home run.....well time will tell.

I think we will know very quickly on Morris...we have some talents on this team left for next season.

" SHOW ME "

Hogwild

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on December 08, 2017, 12:50:09 pm
I understand it perfectly.  Doesn't matter who the new coach is or what his record is; just hiring someone new to create a little excitement (see CCM) to fill the cool aid glasses to the brim and keep the donations coming in and the season ticket packages going out. 

We've been doing it since JFB resigned as HC to move up to full time ADing.  Hired 9 coaches since JFB gave up the HC job, counting John L.

did a little research today, found out the AD used to be his agent, conflict of interest?  Just surprised their boosters and alumni didn't revolt

Ray Anderson

carolinahogger

Quote from: seasonhog on December 08, 2017, 01:39:06 pm

Morris offence is a style ...we need at AR.......unlike Bielema offence....which I knew would not work....plus his big mouth.....

Nothing wrong with being behind the new coach.....but thinking he is a home run.....well time will tell.

I think we will know very quickly on Morris...we have some talents on this team left for next season.

" SHOW ME "

I don't think this ... means what you think it does.

Lanlord

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2017, 10:30:16 am
Am I the only one that isn't sold on the Jimbo Fisher hire?

I'm with you

RebHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 08, 2017, 12:17:31 pm
Two things:

Bowden had to build that program to begin with.  Yes Bill Peterson had some nice years and was quirky and funny but Bowden put the pieces together.  He did it by playing the toughest schedule in the country and doing it on the road so he could get his foot in the door.

Fisher took over a machine and slowly ran it into the ground.  Fisher has very fine football mind.  But, he plays games with his skill guys, especially his QBs.  Toward the end he put too much pressure on these pieces.  He apparently thought he could just out score people and let the D go to hell while being a control freak on the side of the ball he cared most about.

Does 8-5,7-6,7-6,9-4 and 7-6 sound like a machine to you...Bowdens last few years BTW. Compare that to 10-4, 9-4,12-2, 14-0, 13-1, 10-3, 10-3 and 5-6. Fisher is an Elite college FB coach and would take more that just one 5-6 season to change that. I am warming to Morris and behind him but good lord you homers saying he is a better hire than one the only FOUR active head coaches with a championship good grief  ::)

Hogindasticks

I am sure Arkansas's grade will change once the DC is named.

KCRazorbackfan

On paper, probably Mullen at Florida or Kelly at UCLA.  As far as a "WOW" factor during the presser, hands down CCM; none of the others had the infectious enthusiasm that CCM had.  Time will tell after a couple of years.  I hope some of the doomsday naysayers here on HV realize it will take CCM a year or so to get his "hammer down" speed players in the fold.   
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

HogCommander

2  Kelly

I'd say a tie between us, Kelly, and Mullen. Fisher next, and Pruitt in dead last. 

Citizen2729

Not on the list but the best hire was Frost to Nebraska, then Kelly, then Morris. If Morris gets Venables he goes to 1.

Cure

UCLA
A&M
Florida
Arkansas
Tennessee
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.