Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you be accepting of a FCS or DII coach?

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, October 20, 2017, 08:41:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I just want the next coach to come from a place with a culture of winning.  The thread that highlighted the assistant coaches and all of them have a losing record from their previous coaching stops.

We have somehow become a school that has accepted a culture of mediocrity and I believe that is the most important thing that has to change.

I'd be OK w/ hiring the coach from NW Missouri St. Willie Fritz did great work at GA Southern and if he brings Tulane into respectability he'd have to be considered. Fritz also comes out of the Pittsburg St. program where they have a good culture of success.

Ohio St. pulled Jim Tressell out of Youngstown St.

I'd be OK w/ Craig Bohl his record at NDST speaks for itself and he comes out of the Nebraska program.

I'd be OK w/ anyone from SDST as well.  The Dakotas are not an easy place to find football players.

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

King Kong

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

IronMountainHog

WoooPigBrewie

If we were accepting of Frank the Great's choice of a 5-6 FCS coach, then yes, certainly.

Maybe we could hire UCA's coach. Might be the best team in the state.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

HotlantaHog

I'd be ok with a high school coach if he wins at Arkansas.

Forget about winning the press conference. Hire someone who will be a winner long term.

Erockster20

Head coaches don't recruit. That's the biggest misconception people have. Sure they help close kids....but they aren't beating the bushes to find the recruits. If you went this route it would put an emphasis on finding assistants that have ties to areas and who are good recruiters. Nick Saban isnt a great recruiter, his name is.

Find me a guy who can win and coach, and surround him with assistants that have ties to the SEC and Texas and let's go win some games.

Cotton

Quote from: Erockster20 on October 20, 2017, 08:59:41 am
Head coaches don't recruit. That's the biggest misconception people have. Sure they help close kids....but they aren't beating the bushes to find the recruits. If you went this route it would put an emphasis on finding assistants that have ties to areas and who are good recruiters. Nick Saban isnt a great recruiter, his name is.

Find me a guy who can win and coach, and surround him with assistants that have ties to the SEC and Texas and let's go win some games.
I watched Kirby Smart land a helicopter on a Georgia High School field last night to recruit a player...
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GuvHog

No, they should go after a P5 Coordinator (Brent Venables preferably) before looking at an FCS or a DII coach. Looking at coaches below the FBS level should be a last resort.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Seebs

P5 coaching pedigree with roots, contacts and ties to recruiting in the south. Nothing less.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 09:34:30 am
No, they should go after a P5 Coordinator (Brent Venables preferably) before looking at an FCS or a DII coach. Looking at coaches below the FBS level should be a last resort.
Unless you're Frank Broyles.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

King Kong

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 09:34:30 am

Let's get this Venables thing done.

GuvHog

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 10:48:35 am
Who did Frank hire from the FCS-DII level??
Jack Crowe.

5-15 career record as HC of Livingston (DII).
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 20, 2017, 11:07:44 am
Jack Crowe.

Jack Crowe was the OC at Arkansas when he was hired as Hog HC.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 10:48:35 am
Who did Frank hire from the FCS-DII level??
Lance Harter - Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo (DII)
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 11:14:58 am
Jack Crowe was the OC at Arkansas when he was hired as Hog HC.
So no HC experience in DI?

GO FRANK GO!!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

King Kong

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 20, 2017, 11:07:44 am
Jack Crowe.

This is not the same thing as the OP is talking about. Crowe was 12 years removed from that level

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: King Kong on October 20, 2017, 11:16:14 am
This is not the same thing as the OP is talking about. Crowe was 12 years removed from that level
I'm aware.

Just maintaining the position of how far Frank set the program back with his last three coaching hires.

But as someone said today, he gets a pass because he built the program.

Which makes no sense.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 20, 2017, 11:16:04 am
So no HC experience in DI?

GO FRANK GO!!

No, but he was a P5 Coordinator when he was hired as HC, not an FCS or DII coach.

Wildhog

I'd take an FCS coach over some of the names I've seen thrown around here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 20, 2017, 11:15:26 am
Lance Harter - Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo (DII)

The Womens Track coach?? We're talking football here.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 11:20:37 am
No, but he was a P5 Coordinator when he was hired as HC, not an FCS or DII coach.
That makes it justifiable.

5-15 as a HC.

All that was needed to be seen.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 11:22:51 am
The Womens Track coach?? We're talking football here.
Your question: "Who did Frank hire from the FCS-DII level??"

I answered.

8)
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

GuvHog

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on October 20, 2017, 11:20:13 am
I'm aware.

Just maintaining the position of how far Frank set the program back with his last three coaching hires.

But as someone said today, he gets a pass because he built the program.

Which makes no sense.

As I stated, Frank only made 2 bad football hires. Jack Crowe and Danny Ford.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 20, 2017, 11:25:16 am
As I stated, Frank only made 2 bad football hires. Jack Crowe and Danny Ford.
I guess that led to the administration losing faith in the man as AD...

Thus he wasn't allowed to hire the next coach...

Makes sense...

Frank should have been removed as AD when we went 38-51-2 from 1990-1997.

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 20, 2017, 08:41:42 am
I just want the next coach to come from a place with a culture of winning.  The thread that highlighted the assistant coaches and all of them have a losing record from their previous coaching stops.

We have somehow become a school that has accepted a culture of mediocrity and I believe that is the most important thing that has to change.

I'd be OK w/ hiring the coach from NW Missouri St. Willie Fritz did great work at GA Southern and if he brings Tulane into respectability he'd have to be considered. Fritz also comes out of the Pittsburg St. program where they have a good culture of success.

I'd be OK w/ Craig Bohl his record at NDST speaks for itself and he comes out of the Nebraska program.

I'd be OK w/ anyone from SDST as well.  The Dakotas are not an easy place to find football players.

Willie Fritz didn't coach at NWMSU. He was the UCMs HC. The guy will get a p5 job. But not in the SEC. He'll get a job at Kansas or Iowa St soon enough. In fact many Jayhawk fans wanted Fritz as their HC rather then Beatty. When he was at UCM, they were considered a JUCO/transfer team. He was Bobby P for the MIAA.

Adam Dorrell coached at NWMSU. And he's good. He's a winner at NW Missouri. But he's in his first season at Abilene Christian. Not ready for primetime.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

trphog

Why stop there? Let's go JUCO and get Buddy from Netflix.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 20, 2017, 11:32:28 am
Willie Fritz didn't coach at NWMSU. He was the UCMs HC. The guy will get a p5 job. But not in the SEC. He'll get a job at Kansas or Iowa St soon enough. In fact many Jayhawk fans wanted Fritz as their HC rather then Beatty. When he was at UCM, they were considered a JUCO/transfer team. He was Bobby P for the MIAA.

Adam Dorrell coached at NWMSU. And he's good. He's a winner at NW Missouri. But he's in his first season at Abilene Christian. Not ready for primetime.

I'm well aware of Fritz's resume. Why do you think I even mentioned him?  Sorry I didn't break that into a separate paragraph.  My point boiled down is that football is football is football.  Get a guy that comes from a winning program and has built up a program of his own into a winner.  GA Southern was a monster before they hired Fritz and the guy before Fritz took it a couple steps back. Fritz got it back going and got the call from Tulane.

It's impressive what NWMOST has done to keep their program going through multiple coaches, they just keep that thing chugging along.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: trphog on October 20, 2017, 11:37:13 am
Why stop there? Let's go JUCO and get Buddy from Netflix.
Nolan Richardson did JUCO before major college right? What's wrong with JUCO? Pick up the best JUCO coach you can and you might be surprised.

BigE_23

I'd be ok with the right guy. To me, Bohl would be the right guy. He's a little older, but he's a proven winner. He's getting it turned around at Montana. Guys like him are great at finding diamonds in the rough. The QB at Montana is a prime example. Carson Wentz, his former QB at ND-State is another one.

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 20, 2017, 12:56:44 pm
Nolan Richardson did JUCO before major college right? What's wrong with JUCO? Pick up the best JUCO coach you can and you might be surprised.

Nolan won a JICO national title and his move up was to Tulsa which isn't exactly a big time D1 school.

GoHogs1091

A DII Coach would be too big of a risk.

There are some very good FCS Coaches who would do well at the FBS level.  There are some FCS Coaches who do very well even though they have disadvantages (not as good facilities, less Support Staff, and less scholarships).  They do well because of pure coaching ability.

Football at the FCS level is really the backbone of college football.  The FBS level gets all of the media attention, but a lot of the actual high-quality football coaching that takes place occurs at the FCS level.

lakecityhog

Danny Ford WAS NOT A MISTAKE!!!

Ford knew the type of athletes that we needed to compete in the SEC and he started us down the right path. No, he wasn't as successful as he might have been, but based on the Nutt results his 1st year you have to think that Ford had the right players in place.

sickboy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 20, 2017, 06:03:20 pm
A DII Coach would be too big of a risk.

There are some very good FCS Coaches who would do well at the FBS level.  There are some FCS Coaches who do very well even though they have disadvantages (not as good facilities, less Support Staff, and less scholarships).  They do well because of pure coaching ability.

Football at the FCS level is really the backbone of college football.  The FBS level gets all of the media attention, but a lot of the actual high-quality football coaching that takes place occurs at the FCS level.

What exactly are we risking? It's not like we've got too much to lose.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: sickboy on October 20, 2017, 06:25:34 pm
What exactly are we risking? It's not like we've got too much to lose.

Continued mediocrity.

It has been a lot of mediocrity since Coach Hatfield left. 

BrianG

Quote from: BigE_23 on October 20, 2017, 01:01:43 pm
I'd be ok with the right guy. To me, Bohl would be the right guy. He's a little older, but he's a proven winner. He's getting it turned around at Montana. Guys like him are great at finding diamonds in the rough. The QB at Montana is a prime example. Carson Wentz, his former QB at ND-State is another one.

Bohl is at Wyoming.

swineology

My God how expectations have been lowered..

:puke:

TNRazorbacker

I think an FBS coach from a mid major would be a better bet.

MuskogeeHogFan

You don't care who it is as long as it isn't Bielema. How about Rob Robinson?
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

I believe Houston Nutt was at a fcs or d2 school then at Boise State for 1 year then hired at Arkansas. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Letsroll1200

I'll take a talented Texas high school coach over what Arkansas has right now.

swineology

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 20, 2017, 07:38:20 pm
I'll take a talented Texas high school coach over what Arkansas has right now.

Bring on Rick Jones from Greenwood

I'd love to have Dale Earnhart Jr. as the AD and Danica Patrick as HC.  Dale has run a small company successfully and his ego is intact and people love the Guy.  Danica could recruit and her ego is intact and she would know she knew nothing about football.  The best football minds would likely be very happy to work for her and the players would want to play for her.  Danica has her own line of clothing, both have operated businesses that depended on them to be profitable.  Both realize how much the right personnel mean to a business.  Both manage time well.

JaketheSnake

There was a high school coach in NLR a few years ago that could really recruit.  Let's grab him before Ole Miss does

Pig in the Pokey

What are we a SUNBELT team?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

trphog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 20, 2017, 12:56:44 pm

Nolan went to Tulsa before Arkansas. Though recent results don't necessarily show it, there's a big difference between coaching at those two destinations.

HighcountryHog

I want a winner, first and foremost.  Secondly, a coach who knows the Xs and Os.  Someone that will take control of the team, and isn't afraid to get in the player's faces.  Arkansas football has had NONE of this for five seasons.  All this crap about the current coach doing it the "right way," and how he is buddy-buddy with the players has only continued to make this program a laughing stock for all to see.  You think Saban is liked by his players? Hell no. But they listen, and they win. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2017, 07:29:14 pm
You don't care who it is as long as it isn't Bielema. How about Rob Robinson?

I hoped Bielema would have worked out.  The more I've seen of the guy the more it was obvious that he was a fraud. He probably interviews like a SOB and politicks like a mutha.

His performance on the field as a Razorback has been abysmal.  He'll go down as the worst coach in modern razorback history.  He's been a complete embarrassment to the university and the state.  I'm no Petrino fan but at least he gave a bunch of his salary back to the state to help the Children's Hospital and gave us a couple really fun years.

Bielema falls to his knees at Bama, makes a ton of stupid low-class comments, is corny af on social media, keeps gaining weight despite years of fat shaming (which hurt recruiting), rotates through assistants making lower grade hires at each step, meddles with the offense, meddles w/ the defense despite putting it out that he's hands-off (this is a tactic for placing blame on others), throws players under the bus, recruits lazy, doesn't try at many of the top recruits, comes up with excuses such as grades and character flaws as to why he doesn't recruit players that our competition comes in and signs and the player turns out to be a contributor. Doesn't take accountability in the piss poor development of his recruits, blames said recruit, runs off players that can contribute to make the team competitive because he's too lazy to actually coach them and help them.

He's been an absolute disaster on all fronts outside of making old tardos laugh at the Razorback club and Touchdown club meetings. When he's on national TV he dresses hideously and often has wrinkled right out of the packaging clothes on that are ill-fitting.

He's got a lack of awareness on gameday that is unthinkable for a coach at this level.

I truly believe he's a bottom feeder of DI coaching talent. There's too much evidence to point to his failures to think any different.