Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you confident in Arkansas ending the streak vs TAMU this season?

Started by Sweet Feet, May 20, 2017, 12:52:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

How confident are you in Arkansas's chances to finally beat Texas A&M as an SEC opponent?

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 20, 2017, 12:52:33 pm
How confident are you in Arkansas's chances to finally beat Texas A&M as an SEC opponent?

This may be more difficult to accomplish this season than the last 2. A&M returns a lot. Their biggest losses come at WR, QB and the D-Line. It could be that their losses at WR and QB may take away some of their big play opportunities, which may make the difference, but we will have to wait and see.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Not 1 of these games have I gone into thinking it would be a tall task to win, I think less of A&M this year than I have past 2 so I am pretty confident. We have found a way to lose these winnable games, won't keep happening. Most don't see it this way, but we were very close to putting them away in the first half this year and completely blew it. The play that completely undid us was the stupid penalty by Coley. We were going to get the ball back at midfield or closer to basically end the half on a scoring opportunity up by 10 already, should have been 14 or more do to poor play calling and execution in tight red zone.

Edit: assuming our end of season problem didn't present itself here also ;D

Tejano Jawg

Since the Manziel years, when they were clearly better, I've wanted to beat the Ags more than any other team. Especially after the 2 straight OT losses. But after last year, I just don't have the confidence (or optimism) I would normally. I hate to say it, but I'm at the point I'll just have to see it to believe it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bphi11ips

Confident we should beat them?  Yes.  Confident we will?  No.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 20, 2017, 03:12:54 pm
Not 1 of these games have I gone into thinking it would be a tall task to win, I think less of A&M this year than I have past 2 so I am pretty confident. We have found a way to lose these winnable games, won't keep happening. Most don't see it this way, but we were very close to putting them away in the first half this year and completely blew it. The play that completely undid us was the stupid penalty by Coley. We were going to get the ball back at midfield or closer to basically end the half on a scoring opportunity up by 10 already, should have been 14 or more do to poor play calling and execution in tight red zone.

Edit: assuming our end of season problem didn't present itself here also ;D

Yeah, that isn't close, we were tied at the half. I thought the call on Coley was just way wrong but they ended up only getting a FG out of that particular drive and that happened in the 2nd quarter. Yes, we had a chance to get the ball in good field position given where they were when the penalty occurred, but there isn't any guarantee that we would have scored. No, what took that game from our grasp was the big plays we gave up.

Fumbling the ball away at the A&M 8 yard line in the 2nd quarter.
Not scoring on a 1st and goal inside the A&M 5 in the 3d quarter.
Not scoring with a 1st and 10 at the A&M 11 in the 4th quarter.

And then, giving up all of those big plays to A&M when they were on offense. We handed them 28 to 35 points. 16 plays for 504 of their 591 yards. The difference in a 45-28 game even without having failed to punch the ball in when we had the chance.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan14

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2017, 02:46:28 pm
This may be more difficult to accomplish this season than the last 2. A&M returns a lot. Their biggest losses come at WR, QB and the D-Line. It could be that their losses at WR and QB may take away some of their big play opportunities, which may make the difference, but we will have to wait and see.

I feel like they lost a ton of their impact players, maybe more than any other SEC team.

Trevor Knight
Myles Garrett
Speedy Noil
Ricky Seals-Jones
Josh Reynolds
Josh Evans
Jermaine Elumenor
Daeshon Hall

Kirk and Williams will still be a handful on offense but I'm not sure how good their QB play will be

LZH

Arkansas -  31
A&M         -  21

Book it, bank it, Auburn lock.....

hawgmasta

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 20, 2017, 03:45:27 pm
I feel like they lost a ton of their impact players, maybe more than any other SEC team.

Trevor Knight
Myles Garrett
Speedy Noil
Ricky Seals-Jones
Josh Reynolds
Josh Evans
Jermaine Elumenor
Daeshon Hall

Kirk and Williams will still be a handful on offense but I'm not sure how good their QB play will be

As much as it pains me to say it, the aggies recruit very well now. Boohoo

LRRandy

Quote from: LZH on May 20, 2017, 03:47:28 pm
Arkansas -  31
A&M         -  21

Book it, bank it, Auburn lock.....
book it posts are my favorite.
This is fun, isn't it.

HamSammich

Go read a book on how to be an optimist Randy..... BOOK IT

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2017, 03:38:30 pm
Yeah, that isn't close, we were tied at the half. I thought the call on Coley was just way wrong but they ended up only getting a FG out of that particular drive and that happened in the 2nd quarter. Yes, we had a chance to get the ball in good field position given where they were when the penalty occurred, but there isn't any guarantee that we would have scored. No, what took that game from our grasp was the big plays we gave up.

Fumbling the ball away at the A&M 8 yard line in the 2nd quarter.
Not scoring on a 1st and goal inside the A&M 5 in the 3d quarter.
Not scoring with a 1st and 10 at the A&M 11 in the 4th quarter.

And then, giving up all of those big plays to A&M when they were on offense. We handed them 28 to 35 points. 16 plays for 504 of their 591 yards. The difference in a 45-28 game even without having failed to punch the ball in when we had the chance.
Yeah I might have the events scrambled a bit, point is we should have been up 17 minimum, but more like 21. You left off settling for 3 with 1st and goal at the 1!

You might disagree with the penalty, but from where I was sitting at the 20, I was cussing him before the flag came out of the refs pants, ball was nowhere close to him when the receiver got hit, so if it wasn't targeting it was a late hit. And it did result in 3 points for them instead of punting from their own 4. We really had the opportunity to kill them in the first half.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 20, 2017, 06:41:42 pm
Yeah I might have the events scrambled a bit, point is we should have been up 17 minimum, but more like 21. You left off settling for 3 with 1st and goal at the 1!

You might disagree with the penalty, but from where I was sitting at the 20, I was cussing him before the flag came out of the refs pants, ball was nowhere close to him when the receiver got hit, so if it wasn't targeting it was a late hit. And it did result in 3 points for them instead of punting from their own 4. We really had the opportunity to kill them in the first half.

As for the penalty, it was a "bang-bang" hit and he was already lined up and within contact range of the WR and it wasn't "targeting", no head to head, which is the call that got him ejected. Bogus freaking call. But that wasn't the only time on him. It was like they were watching him for any minor infraction that they could blow it up into a bigger infraction, like they did with Skipper. They don't like Arkansas players being big time contact hitters. It's a darned good thing that someone like Atwater isn't playing Safety for us today because he might only get to play 4-5 games each season, if that.
Go Hogs Go!

Iwastherein1969

One of two things is going to happen....either we get "aggied" again in the second half, OR Bielema takes his frustrations out on them like he did when Wisky hung 70 on the Corn holers from Lincoln, NE.   It is just a feeling, but I think we absolutely mop the floor with them
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Sed76

Nope, not in the least bit. Until the staff learns to make halftime adjustments and the defense proves they can stop someone no reason to believe otherwise. Every year it's the same story, get a lead then choke it away due to giving up big plays.

LJHOG

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 20, 2017, 12:52:33 pm

Very confident. 

There is no way we play defense as poorly as we did last year, or run block as ineffectively as we did last year.  It all adds up this year to a sizable win in Dallas.

Can't wait!

longtimeHogfan

I always start the season out optimistic....until I'm not.   :(
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

nchogg

In the last half last year we made A&M's QB look like an all SEC. I will wait to see how our offense and defense look after playing fl a&m and tcu. As always I want us to curb stop them. This could be the year. :razorback:

HoopS

I'm always optimistic.

But we don't know how to beat them or Bama.

Until we beat either of them, it's hard not to expect a loss to both again.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on May 21, 2017, 08:17:23 am
In the last half last year we made A&M's QB look like an all SEC. I will wait to see how our offense and defense look after playing fl a&m and tcu. As always I want us to curb stop them. This could be the year. :razorback:

We left a maximum of 21 points, a minimum of 9 points on the field last year.

At 9:27 of 2nd Qtr                   1st and Goal at A&M 9 yard line, 8 yard run to 1 yard line, fumble the ball away.
At about 3:30 of the 3rd Qtr     On a drive that started at our own 5, 1st and Goal at A&M 2 Yard line. 1 yard run, QB sneak for no gain, QB Sneak for no gain, run for loss of 5.
At about 3:00 of the 4th Qtr     1st and 10 at A&M 11, 2 yard reception, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete.

On defense, we limited A&M to 59 plays but on 16 of those plays we allowed them 504 of their 591 total yards of offense and handed them 28 of their points in a 45-24 ballgame.

Even though A&M returns most of their starters, they do lose most of their big play receivers, their QB, a DT and both DE's.

We will be in the game and have our chances to win if we just don't make the same critical mistakes on defense and offensively, take advantage of every scoring opportunity.
Go Hogs Go!

sowmonella

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 21, 2017, 09:11:19 am
No chance.
Every single thread it's the same with you. Since your confidence level is so high would you care to make it interesting?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

LZH

Athletically we've matched up fairly well with A&M over the past few years, so it's not like we are so outgunned that it is hopeless. I'm not saying we'll win because I think we're gonna be better...I doubt that. I say we win simply because if you flip a coin and get heads several times in a row eventually you'll come up with tails. We are due.

Besides, Sumlin looks like isn't the rock star I thought he was. Hopefully his late season skid starts early this year and he finds a way to lose this one.

nwahogfan1

Unfortunately  I am not confident of beating any SEC team.   We are just OK. We can win 6 games or we can win 9+ games depending on breaks going our way.  Talent is pretty close except for Bama and maybe a couple more.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 21, 2017, 10:39:05 am
Unfortunately  I am not confident of beating any SEC team.   We are just OK. We can win 6 games or we can win 9+ games depending on breaks going our way.  Talent is pretty close except for Bama and maybe a couple more.

So in your estimation our talent level is pretty close to everyone else in the SEC that we play (except Alabama) and you aren't confident that we can beat any SEC team that we play? Wow! Depressing.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

hogfan and LZH make good points, which is why I said above that we should beat the Aggies this year.  They lost a lot, and we have far and away the best QB.  The thing that worries me is getting over the mental hump.  If we beat TCU that will be much easier. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jgphillips3

We've given away games to them of late.  After Toledo, I gave up on ever saying "we will" beat somebody, but I am confident that this team is fed up with losing to the Aggies and will have the right defensive composition by that game to beat them. 

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 21, 2017, 01:53:02 pm
Not one tiny iota.

I disagree. We have been in games and had chances to win and have simply shot ourselves in the foot each time. See below.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 21, 2017, 09:36:32 am
We left a maximum of 21 points, a minimum of 9 points on the field last year.

At 9:27 of 2nd Qtr                   1st and Goal at A&M 9 yard line, 8 yard run to 1 yard line, fumble the ball away.
At about 3:30 of the 3rd Qtr     On a drive that started at our own 5, 1st and Goal at A&M 2 Yard line. 1 yard run, QB sneak for no gain, QB Sneak for no gain, run for loss of 5.
At about 3:00 of the 4th Qtr     1st and 10 at A&M 11, 2 yard reception, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete.

On defense, we limited A&M to 59 plays but on 16 of those plays we allowed them 504 of their 591 total yards of offense and handed them 28 of their points in a 45-24 ballgame.

Even though A&M returns most of their starters, they do lose most of their big play receivers, their QB, a DT and both DE's.

We will be in the game and have our chances to win if we just don't make the same critical mistakes on defense and offensively, take advantage of every scoring opportunity.

Go Hogs Go!

SRV

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 20, 2017, 06:53:22 pm
One of two things is going to happen....either we get "aggied" again in the second half, OR Bielema takes his frustrations out on them like he did when Wisky hung 70 on the Corn holers from Lincoln, NE.   It is just a feeling, but I think we absolutely mop the floor with them
I'll take this one, please.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Going into 2016 I felt that we could match up with just about anyone on any given week. I don't feel as confident at the moment, but im sure I'll get pumped up SEC Media days (like always)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Im not confident in any SEC wins outside of the Mississippi schools and Mizzou since we have them at home.
We are just good enough to build a big lead and crap it away.

I know we left a lot of points on the board last year vs aTm but WE DO THAT EVERY SINGLE YEAR AGAINST THEM!  I don't know what it is, we just cannot finish the big games. 
Im not nearly as confident in the program as I was last year. An 8-5 Auburn team looked like mid 2000s USC against us. We were also no match for LSU and Alabama either. 

I could have understood last year a lot more if 2015 had been what it was supposed to be. A ten win season! We crapped away winnable home games vs Toledo, Texas Tech, and Miss State in an 8-5 season.

I thought our 7-6 year we had in 2014 was supposed to be a launching pad.  I'm not sure our program is any better now than it was the day we beat Texas 31-7.  I believe we are getting better talent but it hasn't yet materialized on the field just yet.

I like Bielema. An incredibly personable guy which works wonders in recruiting for us but I hope next year we have more to brag about than the team's GPA.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 22, 2017, 08:10:44 am
Im not confident in any SEC wins outside of the Mississippi schools and Mizzou since we have them at home.
We are just good enough to build a big lead and crap it away.

I know we left a lot of points on the board last year vs aTm but WE DO THAT EVERY SINGLE YEAR AGAINST THEM!  I don't know what it is, we just cannot finish the big games. 
Im not nearly as confident in the program as I was last year. An 8-5 Auburn team looked like mid 2000s USC against us. We were also no match for LSU and Alabama either. 

I could have understood last year a lot more if 2015 had been what it was supposed to be. A ten win season! We crapped away winnable home games vs Toledo, Texas Tech, and Miss State in an 8-5 season.

I thought our 7-6 year we had in 2014 was supposed to be a launching pad.  I'm not sure our program is any better now than it was the day we beat Texas 31-7.  I believe we are getting better talent but it hasn't yet materialized on the field just yet.

I like Bielema. An incredibly personable guy which works wonders in recruiting for us but I hope next year we have more to brag about than the team's GPA.

You aren't giving the MS schools enough respect. Those games are toss ups at best. From a talent perspective we are right where they are.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 22, 2017, 08:17:16 am
You aren't giving the MS schools enough respect. Those games are toss ups at best. From a talent perspective we are right where they are.

I know that but I was being a bit generous. Although Ole Miss' talent will be decimated due to violations and Miss State needed one of the best QBs in the NFL to finally beat us in Fayetteville.

hogcard1964

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 21, 2017, 10:39:05 am
Unfortunately  I am not confident of beating any SEC team.

Unfortunately, this is spot on.

...and it's obvious no lead is safe with this guy at the helm.

daBoar

hogcard1964

Polecat

Even with a lead in the fourth quarter, I'm not confident.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

DeltaBoy

I would not put any money on the Hogs to beat anybody.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 22, 2017, 09:13:53 am
I would not put any money on the Hogs to beat anybody.

Only spot we don't have question marks is at QB.

Everything else is a complete mystery.  We cannot have any more record breaking years on defense in a bad way.

FineAsSwine

No, not unless we are playing them in Fayetteville. After Bama and Auburn, this is the team I want to see us beat the most. Would love to win two of those three this year. Heck, even 1 of those would be good depending on how we handle the rest of the schedule.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogcard1964

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 22, 2017, 09:29:36 am
No, not unless we are playing them in Fayetteville. After Bama and Auburn, this is the team I want to see us beat the most. Would love to win two of those three this year. Heck, even 1 of those would be good depending on how we handle the rest of the schedule.

Auburn and A & M are winnable.  I think Bret may go winless in his lifetime vs. Bama.

The Kig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on May 21, 2017, 07:50:51 am
I always start the season out optimistic....until I'm not.   :(

Pretty much sums up how I feel.  Are we capable of beating the Aggies?  Absolutely, but then again we were more than capable during this baffling streak of losses.  We shat our own bed every time.  They haven't beaten us once. 
Poker Porker

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 22, 2017, 09:38:17 am
Auburn and A & M are winnable.  I think Bret may go winless in his lifetime vs. Bama.

We may have to wait until Saban retires before we can beat Bama again.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 21, 2017, 07:22:47 am
Very confident. 

There is no way we play defense as poorly as we did last year, or run block as ineffectively as we did last year.  It all adds up this year to a sizable win in Dallas.

Can't wait!

Classic fan psychology. Fan of team expects they will be better while assuming opponent is same or worse.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 22, 2017, 09:42:32 am
We may have to wait until Saban retires before we can beat Bama again.

Bielema will be far away from here when that happens.