Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti-Kentucky

Started by hawg1221, March 26, 2017, 05:13:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2017, 07:07:56 pm
Monk was blocking out Jackson on weak side.   Fox picked up Pinson all the way. 

The Kentucky guy who screwed up was the one behind the North Carolina shooter, standing there in no man's land not guarding anyone.
He became a spectator.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on March 26, 2017, 07:20:39 pm
The Kentucky guy who screwed up was the one behind the North Carolina shooter, standing there in no man's land not guarding anyone.
He became a spectator.

Easy to get lost in that situation.  Why Roy let the play go with no timeout.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2017, 06:28:52 pm
Monk's 3 was clutch.

So were his airball-3, turnover, and blown D assignment that led to Jackson's runout -- all in the final minute-and-a-half ... he made almost as many clutch plays for UNC as the refs did last Sunday.

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2017, 07:22:38 pm

Oh I know - I thought Fox did all he could with the guy bringing the ball up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 26, 2017, 07:23:15 pm
So were his airball-3, turnover, and blown D assignment that led to Jackson's runout -- all in the final minute-and-a-half ... he made almost as many clutch plays for UNC as the refs did last Sunday.

The turnover was horrible.  Sloppy game by both teams. Not well played.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

Malik Monk gets to be hated in Arkansas and got to play one more game in the NCAA's than we did.  His brother getting other KY players to sign with him for delivering Monk, if they do, is the one who benefitted from picking UK.  Malik is going to be pretty pissed at his brother someday when his playing days are over and he realizes the long term love and loyalty he has lost in his home State because of his brother.

GoHogs1091

That game today was a pillow fight between two lightweights.

Kentucky has basically been just Fox and Monk all season long.

North Carolina is basically just Berry, Jackson, and Meeks.

A team had to win that game today, but both teams are not a true vintage all-around great team.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2017, 07:22:38 pm

In a game like that, with everything on the line? That is why they lost the game...It is easy too.

Not calling the timeout didnt cost him the game.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

oldbear

Other than cash, I have never gotten the big deal of the players going to play for Cal.  Some of you who know basketball better then me might can help. These players are already going to be high draft choices before playing for him. He doesn't really win championships. He does have one. He gets relatively far in the tourney but doesn't generally live up to the seeding that he gets. He has had to vacate multiple games for cheating.

It just seems like if you were that elite player, you would want to play for your home state or favorite team and not deal with the crap that is Cal. You are gonna get your money and so far as I know, playing for him doesn't help your draft position or get you any more ready to compete in the league. In fact, if I recall correctly, there have been several that have come out with much lower expectations after playing for him.

Anyone wish to explain?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 26, 2017, 07:32:15 pm
In a game like that, with everything on the line? That is why they lost the game...It is easy too.

Not calling the timeout didnt cost him the game.

Huh?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2017, 07:34:20 pm
Huh?

Huh, is right...The the game is on the line closest man needs to get at least a hand up. They became spectators...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

theFlyingHog

Quote from: oldbear on March 26, 2017, 07:33:38 pm
Other than cash, I have never gotten the big deal of the players going to play for Cal.  Some of you who know basketball better then me might can help. These players are already going to be high draft choices before playing for him. He doesn't really win championships. He does have one. He gets relatively far in the tourney but doesn't generally live up to the seeding that he gets. He has had to vacate multiple games for cheating.

It just seems like if you were that elite player, you would want to play for your home state or favorite team and not deal with the crap that is Cal. You are gonna get your money and so far as I know, playing for him doesn't help your draft position or get you any more ready to compete in the league. In fact, if I recall correctly, there have been several that have come out with much lower expectations after playing for him.

Anyone wish to explain?
Obviously I don't know any of these kids but I've had the impression that there is a lack of work ethic. If you come to Arkansas and want to play you're gonna have to bust your tail.

GoHogs1091

Another failure by Calipari.  He couldn't make it to the Final 4 with perhaps the best player in the entire tournament (Fox).

Just add today's failure with two other Calipari failures.

While in the NC game at Memphis, Calipari deciding to not foul Kansas while Memphis was up 3 in order to keep Kansas from attempting a 3 point shot.  Kansas made a 3, sent the game to overtime, and Kansas won in overtime.

Calipari losing in the 1st Round of the post-season NIT to a much less talented Robert Morris team.

wachhog

Luke Maye--a product of my current hone

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 26, 2017, 07:27:02 pm
Malik Monk gets to be hated in Arkansas and got to play one more game in the NCAA's than we did.  His brother getting other KY players to sign with him for delivering Monk, if they do, is the one who benefitted from picking UK.  Malik is going to be pretty pissed at his brother someday when his playing days are over and he realizes the long term love and loyalty he has lost in his home State because of his brother.

Actually, it was 2 more games (Friday & today). FWIW.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

wachhog

Luke Maye--a product of my current hometown's high school. So glad to see him hand it to Kentucky--and especially to the wunderkind  "one and done."
I cannot hold it against the Monks for trying to maximize their futures, but, in this case, I feel sure the most deserving  man won, Go Heels!

Hogeye_Pierce

No explanation needed.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

SemperFi

I was hoping that they would just beat eachother today. Find a way to make another NCAAT first. Unfortunately one of them had to win and I felt dirty for having watched it.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

3kgthog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 26, 2017, 07:27:02 pm

I truly don't think he'll care. He'll live a rich life out of state somewhere and won't look back. Arkansas as a college destination and a place to come back to after basketball were never an option. We aren't home anymore no matter what he says in the media. Momma and the remaining family members that aren't mad at him are moving away and that's all she wrote for their time in the Natural State. 

latrops

Quote from: oldbear on March 26, 2017, 07:33:38 pm

Anyone wish to explain?

PR/Marketing.  Cal and Kentucky have created an image that UK is where the elite "one-and-done" go.  It's a cross between college and NBA prep.  He invites the attention, which the players also tend to like.  UK gets more time on ESPN than about anyone else.  Players want that.

Certainly, Cal has underperformed in terms of winning the NCAAT considering how consistently his teams are among the top seeds, but not many coaches/programs are much more likely to be in the Final Four.  From a top recruit's perspective, what's not to like?

Hogist

What's not to like? How about the impact on the one thing more valuable than money. Legacy. Do you think many in Kentucky will remember this guy's name in 10 years?

Atlhogfan1

There is something to going to a UK or Duke for one and dones knowing the coaching staffs have experience in knowing how to handle the situation.  Ben Simmons' experience should give one and dones something to think about.  He felt uncertain in his role.  When he should and shouldn't assert himself or defer to the upperclassman.  Not a given they will blend and succeed.  Cal has been to a number of F4's and won a NC.  Not a fan of his certainly.  But I get why a one and done would feel comfortable going to UK or wherever he is.  They get to play in high profile games on a big stage in a program setup for them to play big roles. 

WilsonHog

I'll approach this from a different angle. I detest the one-and-done rule, and for that reason I was never torn up about Monk going to Kentucky. Let him go there, play his one year, and move on to the NBA. Had Monk came to UA and done exactly what he did this year for the 'Cats, I would not remember him as a great Razorback. He would have to play two or three years for me to think of him in those terms.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: latrops on March 26, 2017, 09:05:51 pm
PR/Marketing.  Cal and Kentucky have created an image that UK is where the elite "one-and-done" go.  It's a cross between college and NBA prep.  He invites the attention, which the players also tend to like.  UK gets more time on ESPN than about anyone else.  Players want that.

Certainly, Cal has underperformed in terms of winning the NCAAT considering how consistently his teams are among the top seeds, but not many coaches/programs are much more likely to be in the Final Four.  From a top recruit's perspective, what's not to like?

He gets it...But they are just pawns in the game.

labb

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2017, 09:22:18 pm
I'll approach this from a different angle. I detest the one-and-done rule, and for that reason I was never torn up about Monk going to Kentucky. Let him go there, play his one year, and move on to the NBA. Had Monk came to UA and done exactly what he did this year for the 'Cats, I would not remember him as a great Razorback. He would have to play two or three years for me to think of him in those terms.

What Wilson said

Atlhogfan1

If Monk had come to the UA for one season, been the SEC Fr of the year, led us to the SEC reg season and tourney championships, led us to the E8, hit shots like he did vs UGa and the 3 to tie this game tonight with 7 seconds left, he would be remembered very fondly by our fan base. 

I'd rather these types go on and be pros in Europe or let them go straight from high school to NBA instead of being a one and done.

latrops

Quote from: Hogist on March 26, 2017, 09:09:46 pm
What's not to like? How about the impact on the one thing more valuable than money. Legacy. Do you think many in Kentucky will remember this guy's name in 10 years?

I don't think 17/18 year olds are thinking much about collegiate legacy...certainly not as much as what they are going to do in the NBA.

That said, Kentucky fans will remember Monk and Fox just like they remember Wall and Cousins.  Monk is likely to have at least a decent NBA career.  He isn't likely another Goodwin type that is easily forgotten.

oldbooniehog

All SEC teams that are not Arkansas are the enemy.

They are always the enemy.

I wish them nothing but bad losses and academic scandals and NCAA investigations and embarrassing arrests.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: latrops on March 26, 2017, 09:32:35 pm
I don't think 17/18 year olds are thinking much about collegiate legacy...certainly not as much as what they are going to do in the NBA.

That said, Kentucky fans will remember Monk and Fox just like they remember Wall and Cousins.  Monk is likely to have at least a decent NBA career.  He isn't likely another Goodwin type that is easily forgotten.

He can have a sent career...But he will have to develop some. I didnt see him play in high school so I have nothing to compare to his time at Kantucky. If 5ft 11 Jarrod Barnes can shut you down, just think what a 6ft 9 Brandon Ingrams can do too you defensively...

It can be do though ask JJ Redick.

HawgnCorona

Fox, IMO has the best upside...

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on March 26, 2017, 08:19:28 pm

No explanation needed.
Quote from: factchecker on March 26, 2017, 07:44:16 pm
https://streamable.com/ha04u

NSFW (curse words)
Ah, there are the Lexingtonians I know and love.

As the home of the state's flagship university, I've never seen a less sophisticated, redneck town.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 26, 2017, 05:13:02 pm
I have always supported SEC during the bowl games and NCAA tournament, but I just can't gather myself to do it with such an ego driven coach at the helm. I remember when Tubby Smith was there and I was all about them winning. I don't feel the same with coach Cal there. SMH!
I just couldn't bring myself to root for Kentucky. I tried, just couldn't do it. Great job UNC!!! lol
"The more things change the more they stay the same"