Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Win Total for 2017/18 Season?

Started by Pork Twain, March 21, 2017, 06:51:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How many games do you believe Arknasas will win next year?

11 (8.5%)
2 (1.5%)
12 (9.2%)
37 (28.5%)
25 (19.2%)
27 (20.8%)
13 (10%)
0 (0%)
Frito Pie
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 130

boaredstiff

Arkansas has a regrettable historical penchant for winning games they are not expected to win and losing games they are not expected to lose - - - during the same season.  In 1971, Joe Ferguson & Co. shellacked Texas 31-6 - - - and lost to Tulsa 21-20 on three unanswered Tulsa touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

I've never understood Arkansas' tendency to blister a top echelon powerhouse such as Texas or LSU and then fall to some cupcake such as a Yoohoo U. or a Panhandle State; but they have - - - and they do, unfortunately.

Major overhauling changes on the defensive side of the ball, in particular, make it virtually impossible for me to predict, with any degree of confidence, what the upcoming season might prove to bring in terms of foreseeable success.

goodguytex

Quote from: boaredstiff on March 24, 2017, 05:18:50 pm
Arkansas has a regrettable historical penchant for winning games they are not expected to win and losing games they are not expected to lose - - - during the same season.  In 1971, Joe Ferguson & Co. shellacked Texas 31-6 - - - and lost to Tulsa 21-20 on three unanswered Tulsa touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

I've never understood Arkansas' tendency to blister a top echelon powerhouse such as Texas or LSU and then fall to some cupcake such as a Yoohoo U. or a Panhandle State; but they have - - - and they do, unfortunately.

Major overhauling changes on the defensive side of the ball, in particular, make it virtually impossible for me to predict, with any degree of confidence, what the upcoming season might prove to bring in terms of foreseeable success.
Our success for this season will mostly depend on 2 factors... Our Oline showing improvement. If our Oline coach is really as good as bielema thought he was when he hired him, then it should be.

2nd is our overall defense. Paul Rhoades reputation as a coach is on the line too. He wants to be a HC again. No chance of that happening if this defense crashes and burns.

Some skepticism is understandable for this season. We should be. But if we see positives they shouldn't be ignored either.

boaredstiff

Quote from: goodguytex on March 24, 2017, 05:32:20 pm
Our success for this season will mostly depend on 2 factors... Our Oline showing improvement. If our Oline coach is really as good as bielema thought he was when he hired him, then it should be.

2nd is our overall defense. Paul Rhoades reputation as a coach is on the line too. He wants to be a HC again. No chance of that happening if this defense crashes and burns.

Some skepticism is understandable for this season. We should be. But if we see positives they shouldn't be ignored either.

I agree with your first two paragraphs in general, - - and with your last paragraph in particular.  It is never my intent to rag on the team OR the coaching staff; but I do, from time to time, comment on some seeming inconsistencies or head-scratching, sub-par results.

I'm a true-blue Hogs fan, - - win or lose.

(I prefer winning.) 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2017, 05:36:22 pm
Nine wins....That's not too much to ask.  Any less and it'll give me room to bitch for 9 months next year.

Lord, you know I don't ask for much, but pleeeease give us 9 wins.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Polecat on March 22, 2017, 09:19:59 am
6 or 7 wins. Zero arrests. Lots of kids on the honor roll. University makes tons of money, team continues its mediocrity in terms of wins and losses and the beat goes on

You missed one of the biggest positives to 6 or 7 wins. It will piss you off.  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 24, 2017, 05:55:20 pm
Lord, you know I don't ask for much, but pleeeease give us 9 wins.  ;)

Hey!  >:(

Since moving down here, my Spanish is getting better.  So if necessary, I'll bitch and complain in two languages.....double the pleasure, double the fun.

HamSammich

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 24, 2017, 04:46:01 pm
What a drama queen martyr statement.

Other than attacking someone you don't like.... what does your post even mean?

HamSammich

I think we beat Bama and lose two we shouldn't. I think this team is missing more than folks think and we win 7 and I think CBB deserves an extension if we win 7.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: HamSammich on March 24, 2017, 06:30:45 pm
I think we beat Bama and lose two we shouldn't. I think this team is missing more than folks think and we win 7 and I think CBB deserves an extension if we win 7.

HamSammich

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 24, 2017, 06:34:23 pm

Lol you are a joke

LZH

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on March 24, 2017, 06:30:45 pm

Be specific. What exactly is the team missing at each position. When I say specific, I'm talking about I want there to be several people respond with tl;dr, but I promise I will read it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Polecat

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 24, 2017, 05:58:12 pm
You missed one of the biggest positives to 6 or 7 wins. It will piss you off.  8)

I won't be angry at all. I will cheer for my alma mater in every game – I'm happy when they win and have experienced enough disappointing losses in my lifetime that I don't let the performances of 18-21 year old kids in a ball game ruin my weekend anymore.
Coach B is 25-26 at Arkansas. So expecting a 6 or 7 win season is the best and most realistic way for me to enter the football season. To each his own, but in the past few years I've decided that I won't get mad about my favorite team. I got enough real-life crap to get stressed about
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

GoHogs1091

I see only 6 wins.  Hope I am wrong.

The 6 wins being 3 non-conference wins (but losing to TCU), and 3 conference wins (Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Missouri).