Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only at Arkansas can the football program be totally ruined in 6 years

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 06, 2017, 09:32:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

How in the heck did this happen?

Petrino's last 2 seasons, 2010 and 2011, the Razorback football team went 6-2 in SEC play both seasons and finished ranked #12 after loss in BCS Sugar Bowl to then #6 Ohio St and ranked #5 after beating Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl after 2011 season. Also, 2011 gave the Razorbacks their first 11 win season. And the season-ending #5 ranking was highest since after the Orange Bowl in 1977 season when Hogs finished #3.

The Petrino debacle goes down the spring of 2012 and he is fired. It is decided to hire John Smith as an interim head coach. The Hogs open the next season ranked #8. The season is a disaster and the Razorbacks go 2-6 in SEC play. Smith is one and done and they hire Bielema. He has just gone to 3 consecutive Rose Bowls and after 7 seasons of success at Wisconsin, outward appearances are that Bielema will be successful at Arkansas if he can establish quality lines as he claims he can.

First year, Razorbacks go 0-8 in SEC play. Everyone blames that on Petrino and Smith. Okay.

Second year, they extend the record conference losing streak to 13 games before winning 2 in conference to finished 2-6. Improvement. Slight but definitely improving, especially the way the defense performed in consecutive shutouts vs SEC teams.

Third year, with recruiting supposedly going well, according to Bielema, Hogs start the year with a horrible and unexpected consecutive losses  to Toledo and Texas Tech at home. Not even into conference play yet and season feels like it is over before it started. Annual loss to A&M following Tech loss to make it 3 losses in a row. That should have told us something important then. But, Bielema inexplicably turns it around and the Razorbacks finish 5-3 in SEC play and get a win over K St in Liberty Bowl.

Fourth year, fans are excited and expecting to see further improvement and wins like Bilema had at Wisconsin. Not so fast, my friends. Season starts with a come from behind 1 point win at home vs La Tech but that is followed by an OT win at TCU. Things looking up. SEC play begins with our annual loss to A&M, followed by 19 pt loss to Alabama then a 4 pt win over Ole Miss. Then the wheels came off. Auburn beats the Hogs like they've never been beaten before. A 56-3 loss with Auburn setting offensive records left and right against the Hogs. It was as if the Hogs D had made up their minds to not play that day. From there, the season seesaws back and forth with alternating wins and losses in conference. Beat Fla, then lost to LSU, then beat Miss St, then lost to Missouri after having a 24 point lead. Bowl game ended same way: a loss after a 24-0 halftime lead over Va Tech. From previous season's 5-3 SEC record, this team finishes 3-5 in SEC.

Fifth year, the current season, fans are uncertain but hoping for improvement again. Well, no such luck. Hogs begin with a bad loss to TCU, scoring only 7 pts. Then the annual loss in OT to A&M. That is followed by an embarrassing loss to South Carolina, a blistering by Alabama, another embarrassment at the hands of Auburn then two skin of the teeth 1 point wins over Ole Miss and a 1-7 Coastal Carolina for our homecoming game.  1-4 in SEC play going in to last 3 games and those three are probable losses. So much for cautious fan optimism at season's start. This year will likely play out to either 2-6 or 1-7. Not a good bookend to first half decade at Arkansas for Bret Bielema considering his 0-8 SEC start at Arkansas.

So in 6 years, this program has been pile driven into the dirt and given a concussion that it apparently cannot get over. From a top 15 team for the last two years under Petrino to setting records you do not want to set on both sides of the ball over the past 6 years. From precision offense and very adequate defense and special teams to colossal debacles in all three phases of the game almost every week.

And Bielema has the temerity to tell us after each week's embarrassment that the team had a "good week of preparation" and he does not understand what happened. When the coach is either lying or cannot figure out how to transfer success in practice to the game, that is an obvious sign that he is in over his head.

Six years! That's it. Not just from top 15 to somewhere outside of the rankings but from top 15 to literally bottom 15...Hogs were lucky to beat Coastal Carolina, a team that was 1-7 and had just lost to Arkansas State by score of 51-17. Bielema is likely to finish his career at Arkansas going 11-29 in SEC play. Let that conference record sink in a minute. 11 and 29! Are you kidding me?? That is 2.2 SEC wins per year!!

Fitting ending I guess for Bielema. He's quit, his team has quit, and his staff has quit. Time to send the quitters on their way.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgon

I've honestly never seen anything like it.  I was a student in the early 90s and this is worse.  Back then there was the feeling that we would hire and fire until we found the right guy.  And in a way, we did when Nutt finally came onboard.  Now?  I'm almost completely hopeless. 

This is a worst case scenario.  Short of a plane crash or the NCAA death penalty, we are as low as we can go.

NuttinItUp

Hope the next coach can turn it around.

Surprisingly, the next coach will likely have to get a "2 year pass" into his contract just like Bielema did his first 2 years. The irony is that Bielema may have done much more (long term) damage than John L. did.

Sho Nuff

Seebs

Florida was rather quick, Tennessee was as well. Ole Miss was lightening quick and they are not through sucking.

Arkansas' fall seems laborious to me.  Plodding, methodical, similar issues each year that get hung on one or two lame reasons. Last year was Denver Kirkland's fault. This year it is all those injuries. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

jgphillips3

There's plenty of talent on this team.  A real coach can win 8 next year and at least put up a fight in getting beat the other 4 games.  After that, we will have to recruit more Jimmy and Joe's for defense to compete for a title but we can be back to a modicum of respectability in very quick order; three years tops with the right coach.  After that, it's always a crap shoot.

jst01

Quote from: Seebs on November 06, 2017, 09:44:19 am
Florida was rather quick, Tennessee was as well. Ole Miss was lightening quick and they are not through sucking.

Florida's "down years" were winning a weakish SEC east.  Wouldn't that be nice.  At Ole Miss it took their coach being a scumbag cheater to pull them down.  Here we are just doing it the old fashion way...by being terrible at the game.

Gonzo

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 09:32:21 am

Petrino's last 2 seasons, 2010 and 2011, the Razorback football team went 6-2 in SEC play both seasons and finished ranked #12 after loss in BCS Sugar Bowl to then #6 Ohio St and ranked #5 after beating Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl after 2011 season. Also, 2011 gave the Razorbacks their first 11 win season. And the season-ending #5 ranking was highest since after the Orange Bowl in 1977 season when Hogs finished #3.

The Petrino debacle goes down the spring of 2012 and he is fired. It is decided to hire John Smith as an interim head coach. The Hogs open the next season ranked #8. The season is a disaster and the Razorbacks go 2-6 in SEC play. Smith is one and done and they hire Bielema. He has just gone to 3 consecutive Rose Bowls and after 7 seasons of success at Wisconsin, outward appearances are that Bielema will be successful at Arkansas if he can establish quality lines as he claims he can.

First year, Razorbacks go 0-8 in SEC play. Everyone blames that on Petrino and Smith. Okay.

Second year, they extend the record conference losing streak to 13 games before winning 2 in conference to finished 2-6. Improvement. Slight but definitely improving, especially the way the defense performed in consecutive shutouts vs SEC teams.

Third year, with recruiting supposedly going well, according to Bielema, Hogs start the year with a horrible and unexpected consecutive losses  to Toledo and Texas Tech at home. Not even into conference play yet and season feels like it is over before it started. Annual loss to A&M following Tech loss to make it 3 losses in a row. That should have told us something important then. But, Bielema inexplicably turns it around and the Razorbacks finish 5-3 in SEC play and get a win over K St in Liberty Bowl.

Fourth year, fans are excited and expecting to see further improvement and wins like Bilema had at Wisconsin. Not so fast, my friends. Season starts with a come from behind 1 point win at home vs La Tech but that is followed by an OT win at TCU. Things looking up. SEC play begins with our annual loss to A&M, followed by 19 pt loss to Alabama then a 4 pt win over Ole Miss. Then the wheels came off. Auburn beats the Hogs like they've never been beaten before. A 56-3 loss with Auburn setting offensive records left and right against the Hogs. It was as if the Hogs D had made up their minds to not play that day. From there, the season seesaws back and forth with alternating wins and losses in conference. Beat Fla, then lost to LSU, then beat Miss St, then lost to Missouri after having a 24 point lead. Bowl game ended same way: a loss after a 24-0 halftime lead over Va Tech. From previous season's 5-3 SEC record, this team finishes 3-5 in SEC.

Fifth year, the current season, fans are uncertain but hoping for improvement again. Well, no such luck. Hogs begin with a bad loss to TCU, scoring only 7 pts. Then the annual loss in OT to A&M. That is followed by an embarrassing loss to South Carolina, a blistering by Alabama, another embarrassment at the hands of Auburn then two skin of the teeth 1 point wins over Ole Miss and a 1-7 Coastal Carolina for our homecoming game.  1-4 in SEC play going in to last 3 games and those three are probable losses. So much for cautious fan optimism at season's start. This year will likely play out to either 2-6 or 1-7. Not a good bookend to first half decade at Arkansas for Bret Bielema considering his 0-8 SEC start at Arkansas.

So in 6 years, this program has been pile driven into the dirt and given a concussion that it apparently cannot get over. From a top 15 team for the last two years under Petrino to setting records you do not want to set on both sides of the ball over the past 6 years. From precision offense and very adequate defense and special teams to colossal debacles in all three phases of the game almost every week.

And Bielema has the temerity to tell us after each week's embarrassment that the team had a "good week of preparation" and he does not understand what happened. When the coach is either lying or cannot figure out how to transfer success in practice to the game, that is an obvious sign that he is in over his head.

Six years! That's it. Not just from top 15 to somewhere outside of the rankings but from top 15 to literally bottom 15...Hogs were lucky to beat Coastal Carolina, a team that was 1-7 and had just lost to Arkansas State by score of 51-17. Bielema is likely to finish his career at Arkansas going 11-29 in SEC play. Let that conference record sink in a minute. 11 and 29! Are you kidding me?? That is 2.2 SEC wins per year!!

Fitting ending I guess for Bielema. He's quit, his team has quit, and his staff has quit. Time to send the quitters on their way.

I agree pretty much across the board. The one bone I'd pick is overlooking the 1977 team won 11 games. ;)

Go Hogs!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 06, 2017, 09:47:21 am
There's plenty of talent on this team.  A real coach can win 8 next year and at least put up a fight in getting beat the other 4 games.  After that, we will have to recruit more Jimmy and Joe's for defense to compete for a title but we can be back to a modicum of respectability in very quick order; three years tops with the right coach.  After that, it's always a crap shoot.
There is a scattering of talent of course. But to say there is "plenty" seems a stretch. The coaches have stopped doing their job and they never gave it a real shot to begin with. So that can make a team look untalented. See the Razorbacks in Ford's last 2 seasons vs what they did in Nutt's first season for example.

But, there is no talent on either line of scrimmage. There is little talent anywhere on defense. Some in the skill positions on offense and that is it. Bielema's poor recruiting strategy over past 5 years is going to hurt the team for next several years. The next head coach will have his work cut out for him.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Pulse

What is crazy is there are people who still defend him and want to give him another year. Talk about "lunatic fringe" 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Pulse on November 06, 2017, 09:53:09 am
What is crazy is there are people who still defend him and want to give him another year. Talk about "lunatic fringe"
To them I would say, "defend 11-29". 2.2 SEC wins per season.

hoglady

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 06, 2017, 09:47:21 am
There’s plenty of talent on this team.  A real coach can win 8 next year and at least put up a fight in getting beat the other 4 games.  After that, we will have to recruit more Jimmy and Joe’s for defense to compete for a title but we can be back to a modicum of respectability in very quick order; three years tops with the right coach.  After that, it’s always a crap shoot.

A new coach has to change the loser mentality instilled by Bielema and company.
To me, that's more concerning than talent. There's enough talent to be respectable - changing the mentality is a different animal.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 09:36:04 am
I've honestly never seen anything like it.  I was a student in the early 90s and this is worse.  Back then there was the feeling that we would hire and fire until we found the right guy.  And in a way, we did when Nutt finally came onboard.  Now?  I'm almost completely hopeless. 

This is a worst case scenario.  Short of a plane crash or the NCAA death penalty, we are as low as we can go.

I don't understand why you think we won't hire and fire until we find the right guy. There's no evidence to support this.

Now if Bret is back next year, then I'd agree. But five years was not unreasonable for a coach with his resume. If you pull the trigger too early on proven guys, then soon you won't be able to attract the hot targets.

I think most of this attitude is hurt fee fees more than anything.

hawgon

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 06, 2017, 10:26:32 am
I don't understand why you think we won't hire and fire until we find the right guy. There's no evidence to support this.

Now if Bret is back next year, then I'd agree. But five years was not unreasonable for a coach with his resume. If you pull the trigger too early on proven guys, then soon you won't be able to attract the hot targets.

I think most of this attitude is hurt fee fees more than anything.

Well, for one thing Frank Broyles NEVER said that winning isn't everything like our current AD after a bad loss.

But maybe you're right.  I just don't have confidence that you are.

go hogues

Only at Arkansas can the football program be totally ruined in 6 years

And this was AFTER it was ruined by Nutt.

I really don't think there's been any other fanbase in college football who has had to endure more weird program-demoralizing events in such a short span of time (I'd say a span since around the emergence of Mitch Mustain in 2004).
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 10:30:09 am
Well, for one thing Frank Broyles NEVER said that winning isn't everything like our current AD after a bad loss.

Iirc, that was in response to the Ole Miss situation. Context is everything.

ricepig

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 06, 2017, 10:37:45 am

Don't expect to get anywhere with that, it doesn't fit the agenda, lol.

Tejano Jawg

Another good "look back on the Bielema era" post from HoginMemphis.

Things ARE as bad as they appear. (There were times they weren't, like in his 2014 season.) This is approaching the worst stretch I've ever seen, rivaling the early 90s. The reason these are hard to compare—after we joined the SEC, we totally disappeared from any coverage in sports pages here in Dallas-Ft. Worth. So I wasn't as privy to how bad things really were.

Regarding year 6+... I kept imagining a thread titled "Long needs to think about the future." And by that I mean look at the downward trajectory of the program...and where we appear to be going. Not just a setback because of some unfortunate injuries, or graduation, or other outside circumstances...right now we are where we are. Long has to get a handle on this situation, because we're on the brink of starting a 3-4-5 year span of totally terrible football.

From the media standpoint, being "awful" is only entertaining for so long. Eventually you settle into the area known as "IRRELEVANT." We're pretty much there. Just tune in on the Saturday night SEC Network recap. We're moved the last story of the day. Our games are covered as quickly as possible. And it's the same commentary—either delivered with a smile because of what a joke we've become, or with the shaking of heads over the disbelief that we've fallen so far. Is this the kind of press Long wants?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

elksnort

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 06, 2017, 09:42:38 am
If we make a quality hire, this can turn around quickly.
I think so also. The program does look bad, but I think there is enough talent there to start to turn it around if the right coach is hired.

Well, the current coach has to leave first.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 09:32:21 am

That's the biggest problem with bielema and the product he puts on the field. He doesn't understand that some players look much better in controlled practice enviornment than on Saturday when the lights come on. The opposite is also true. Bielema himself admitted how cole hedlund could make any kick in practice but couldn't replicate it in game time. It is on bielema for continuing to put players on the field that have shown time and time again that they cant step up when their number is called.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgon

Nope, actually it was in a tweet after either the Missouri or Virginia Tech game last year.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 10:38:46 am
Don't expect to get anywhere with that, it doesn't fit the agenda, lol.

Nope, you refer to the second time in the last year that he has publicly downplayed winning.

Cinco de Hogo

That is Longs career Philosophy, the only time in his career that he's had success with the football program was the four years Bobby Petrino was forced on him by some heavy hitters.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 10:49:49 am
That is Longs career Philosophy, the only time in his career that he's had success with the football program was the four years Bobby Petrino was forced on him by some heavy hitters.

You could also argue that the reason our program tanked out is because we hired that POS in the first place.

Also this narrative that Long had to have a gun held to his head to hire Petrino is kind of silly.

FutureMan

Have you ever heard of Auburn under Gene Chizik...?  He went from winning a national championship to 3-9 in only two years.  I think that beats us.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

ipigsooie

I know it sounds crazy but I don't think we are totally ruined. I think we have some nice pieces and I think we are a young team that can make some noise in a year or two with proper coaching.  We definitely need need some talent on the defense and on the o line but I think we are a good coach away from 8 wins next season.

greenie

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 10:30:09 am

I'm just curious...did Long actually say "winning isn't everything" somewhere?  Or are you referring to this quote:

"Yes, winning is important," Long told fans at the Little Rock Touchdown Club this week. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.
"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered."

Here's the article that reports the previous quote: https://herosports.com/college-football/arkansas-jeff-long-football-win-at-all-cost-ahah

I've seen it stated over and over on Hogville that Long isn't worried about winning. Surely I missed this statement somewhere, or just can't extrapolate the previous quote into your interpretation.  If he actually said that, it would be a terrible thing for an SEC AD to say.  If he didn't, why are you saying it?  I can understand you saying that you *think* he doesn't care about winning based on the way he runs the program, but you stated that he *said* it.  Again, maybe I missed it somewhere.  If not, I see no reason to make stuff up.  There's plenty of factual reasons to complain.

Spektre

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 09:50:26 am
There is a scattering of talent of course. But to say there is "plenty" seems a stretch. The coaches have stopped doing their job and they never gave it a real shot to begin with. So that can make a team look untalented. See the Razorbacks in Ford's last 2 seasons vs what they did in Nutt's first season for example.

But, there is no talent on either line of scrimmage. There is little talent anywhere on defense. Some in the skill positions on offense and that is it. Bielema's poor recruiting strategy over past 5 years is going to hurt the team for next several years. The next head coach will have his work cut out for him.

Talent... a bit. Speed... 0. That will be the biggest challenge a new coach will face. Speed can make up for a lack of talent. Talent can only do so much to make up for a lack of speed.

The other part of this equation is how long it takes to put the killer instinct back into the program:
We don't hit like other teams hit.
We don't go for the throat... we play "prevent."
The offensive line gets man-handled.
And now... we have "leaders" on the team that feel they need to celebrate and run their mouths when they make a routine play against a 1-7 Coastal Carolina team that is giving them all they can handle.

The last one tells me more about this team than anything else.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 10:51:40 am
You could also argue that the reason our program tanked out is because we hired that POS in the first place.

Also this narrative that Long had to have a gun held to his head to hire Petrino is kind of silly.

No you can't argue that, look at who he wanted to hire before Petrino and who he hired after Petrino.  And if you've read or heard the story, and I've never heard it refuted, Petrino was forced on Long.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 11:01:22 am
No you can't argue that, look at who he wanted to hire before Petrino and who he hired after Petrino.  And if you've read or heard the story, and I've never heard it refuted, Petrino was forced on Long.

Well first off yes you can argue that, as I literally just did.

Secondly, I've heard the story. On Hogville. So...I'll take it with a grain of salt, to say the least.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 10:46:49 am
Nope, you refer to the second time in the last year that he has publicly downplayed winning.

Quote from: greenie on November 06, 2017, 10:57:18 am
I'm just curious...did Long actually say "winning isn't everything" somewhere?  Or are you referring to this quote:

"Yes, winning is important," Long told fans at the Little Rock Touchdown Club this week. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.
"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered."

Here's the article that reports the previous quote: https://herosports.com/college-football/arkansas-jeff-long-football-win-at-all-cost-ahah

I've seen it stated over and over on Hogville that Long isn't worried about winning. Surely I missed this statement somewhere, or just can't extrapolate the previous quote into your interpretation.  If he actually said that, it would be a terrible thing for an SEC AD to say.  If he didn't, why are you saying it?  I can understand you saying that you *think* he doesn't care about winning based on the way he runs the program, but you stated that he *said* it.  Again, maybe I missed it somewhere.  If not, I see no reason to make stuff up.  There's plenty of factual reasons to complain.

hawgon

Jeff Long tweet the week after the Missouri loss:

Conversation
Jeff Long
Jeff Long
@jefflongUA
I believe in ICA & Higher ED there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?
6:47 PM · Dec 5, 2013 from Fayetteville, AR

Athog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 06, 2017, 09:38:11 am
Hope the next coach can turn it around.

Surprisingly, the next coach will likely have to get a "2 year pass" into his contract just like Bielema did his first 2 years. The irony is that Bielema may have done much more (long term) damage than John L. did.

John L was interim. He was trying keep Petrino's train wreck at a minimum!

EastexHawg

Quote from: FutureMan on November 06, 2017, 10:51:57 am
Have you ever heard of Auburn under Gene Chizik...?  He went from winning a national championship to 3-9 in only two years.  I think that beats us.

Auburn fired a coach who had won the national championship two years earlier.  Maybe that is why they have knocked off Bama twice in the last six years to win the SEC while people surrounding other programs stand around and whine about how nobody's winning anything until Saban retires.

Would it shock anyone if they knocked off either Georgia or Alabama again this year?

I can't stand Auburn, but at least no one can say they are settlers.   

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 11:03:03 am

Secondly, I've heard the story. On Hogville. So...I'll take it with a grain of salt, to say the least.

Not just on Hogville, there were links to real conversation from parties involved.

But yes you are right, YOU can still argue it. 😉

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 10:51:40 am

It really isn't silly. It's well known that the whole time Long was going after Bowden and Grobe, Petrino was practically begging to interview for the job but Long totally ignored him until finally being forced to interview and hire him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

greenie

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 11:01:22 am

So, you believe this to be true because no one has refuted it?  You should consider our volatile fan base and the current state of craziness.  I need a little more to believe something like this.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: greenie on November 06, 2017, 11:19:14 am
So, you believe this to be true because no one has refuted it?  You should consider our volatile fan base and the current state of craziness.  I need a little more to believe something like this.

What do you believe then and what do you base you belief on?  I love the eye test but some information and facts never hurt either.  All of us choose to believe what we want to believe in the end. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 11:13:10 am
Jeff Long tweet the week after the Missouri loss:

Conversation
Jeff Long
Jeff Long
@jefflongUA
I believe in ICA & Higher ED there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?
6:47 PM · Dec 5, 2013 from Fayetteville, AR

We didn't play Missouri in 2013.

jgphillips3

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 11:34:24 am
We didn't play Missouri in 2013.

Correct, this would be after 0-8 in conference had just been achieved for the first time in our history.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: greenie on November 06, 2017, 11:19:14 am
I used to have the link where an agent or something told the entire story (he was part of it) of Petrino's hiring. I'll keep trying to find it. But if anyone else has it please post it.

sickboy

I mean... we haven't been good for a long, long time. We've had three 10 win seasons ins 25 years. Bielema's going to end up being better than Danny Ford, but worse than Houston Nutt. He could have been worse. He could have been Jack Crowe or John L. Smith.

At any rate, I don't think Bielema's done anything to hurt Arkansas football. We're at the same place we've been for a long, long time. Still looking for that coach who can take us to the next level. We had him for a split second. Then good ol' Arkansas luck sprang up and stuck stick in his motorcycle spokes.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 06, 2017, 11:37:39 am
Correct, this would be after 0-8 in conference had just been achieved for the first time in our history.

Any decent coach would have went 2-6 that year, even Smiles went 2-6. CBB blew several SEC games that year. Dude is just bad.

snoblind

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 11:03:03 am

It's a story that was easily confirmed outside of Hogville when it happened. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: snoblind on November 06, 2017, 11:55:05 am
It's a story that was easily confirmed outside of Hogville when it happened.

So easily to be confirmed that someone could provide a source that Jeff Long had to be forced under duress to hire CBP?

Pigsknuckles

I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't stepped in to claim that the progressive demise of this program constitutes "cruel and unusual" punishment.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 12:49:09 pm
So easily to be confirmed that someone could provide a source that Jeff Long had to be forced under duress to hire CBP?
I don't know about duress, but he did have to be talked in to even returning Petrino's call. And I'm still trying to find the clip I had.

snoblind

Look for it yourself.  Notice, the operative verb in my comment "was",   

As indicated above, there was a radio interview with a LR attorney that used to be online.  Listened to original broadcast on, I believe, Shawn Arnell's show.  Think Chuck had moved on by then.  And I've had the background details confirmed by far bigger donors than I am.

What's amusing on here are the folks always screaming for links, like everything someone is told, especially years ago is going to plastered all over the internet.  Believe it or don't believe it, I don't care.

snoblind

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 06, 2017, 12:56:42 pm
I don't know about duress, but he did have to be talked in to even returning Petrino's call. And I'm still trying to find the clip I had.

Shawn Arnell's show after Chuck went to work for UofA.  Somebody has linked it here within the past few years.

And yeah, duress is probably a little strong.

Cinco de Hogo

Look he wasn't returning Petrino's calls and in the end the choice wasn't left up to him.  Is that duress or you bosses telling you who your going to hire?  Maybe it's the same to some people.