Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kibster

If anyone cares, you can follow my eating adventures in New England on Instagram @jwkibbey
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 11, 2017, 12:53:12 pm
We did Red Beans and Rice Saturday and Whataburger on Sunday.

And there is nothing wrong with red beans and rice.  I may make that the next couple days.  Love that stuff.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 17, 2017, 05:16:28 pm
Just got back from stinkys. Good eating!  Oysters rockefeller, crawfish tamales, grilled amberjack and fried shrimp.

Heading down Saturday and we'll be at Stinky's for lunch Monday.  I called and they said they're up and going in the main dining room.  Can't wait!  Probably will hit Harbor Docks for lunch Sunday. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2017, 11:10:18 am
Heading down Saturday and we'll be at Stinky's for lunch Monday.  I called and they said they're up and going in the main dining room.  Can't wait!  Probably will hit Harbor Docks for lunch Sunday. 

Awesome!  Yall have a safe trip and a great time!
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

Made this today.  Grilled chicken thighs and scallops in a cast-iron skillet. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 26, 2017, 04:56:13 pm
Made this today.  Grilled chicken thighs and scallops in a cast-iron skillet. 

I like that little riser you have for your egg.  Where did you get it?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on October 27, 2017, 08:16:32 am
I like that little riser you have for your egg.  Where did you get it?

I bought it at Backyard Specialities out of Springdale when I bought the egg but they have since gone out of business. I'm sure any BGE  dealer has them.  I use mine quite a bit if I'm cooking something fairly small that I want to keep off the direct fire. 

pigture perfect

It's chilli today. So hot I'm Peeling skin of the roof of my mouth.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ImHogginIt

55 degrees as we enjoy our last day of vacation on the Oregon coast. About to prepare some ribeyes for the grill.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 01, 2017, 05:08:05 pm
55 degrees as we enjoy our last day of vacation on the Oregon coast. About to prepare some ribeyes for the grill.

Where are you?  We are planning on heading that way next year and have never been. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 01, 2017, 08:31:37 pm
Where are you?  We are planning on heading that way next year and have never been.

4 days at a house we rented overlooking the beach below in Lincoln City. It has been fabulous. I've sat here in the viewing room on my computer drinking beer, coffee or water most of the time. We flew into Portland late last week. Drove up and spent a night in Seattle. Did the needle and waterfront and fought off the homeless begging. Then went and saw Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens and then drove the coast from Astoria to here

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 01, 2017, 09:01:13 pm
4 days at a house we rented overlooking the beach below in Lincoln City. It has been fabulous. I've sat here in the viewing room on my computer drinking beer, coffee or water most of the time. We flew into Portland late last week. Drove up and spent a night in Seattle. Did the needle and waterfront and fought off the homeless begging. Then went and saw Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens and then drove the coast from Astoria to here

I love that view.  Did you spend much time on the beach?  We're kind of looking for ideas on what to do on the northwest coast and this looks nice.  I saw a show on the house hunters the other day and they were on the Oregon coast and looked great.  Maybe a stupid question but can you dig for clams there??  I want to do something I can't do here. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 01, 2017, 09:17:56 pm
I love that view.  Did you spend much time on the beach?  We're kind of looking for ideas on what to do on the northwest coast and this looks nice.  I saw a show on the house hunters the other day and they were on the Oregon coast and looked great.  Maybe a stupid question but can you dig for clams there??  I want to do something I can't do here.

No idea on the clams. I've gone down and walked on the beach a few times. Mostly I've sat right here on my ass and relaxed. Public beach is below but no more than 10 or 12 people at any time are out there. I've enjoyed the hell out of watching the dogs people bring play and have the time of their lives. Also fun to watch people without front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive get stuck in the sand. At least three or four a day have needed to get a tow. I went into town twice. Wife has been all over including over to Salem and Eugene retracing her family roots. I've been happy as hell maintaining a buzz and being mesmerized by the sight and sound of the ocean.

kibster

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 01, 2017, 09:01:13 pm

We love the Oregon Coast.  We usually stay a little further up the coast in Arch Cape (just south of Cannon Beach).  We have a fantastic place we stay at right on the water.  Also, the food in Portland scene is insanely good. (second photo is me watching the hogs game against TCU last year)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKKN6kgjgSE/?taken-by=jwkibbey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMqGNGDtl_/?taken-by=jwkibbey

BR

A great Salt company I always go to when we are up there..  Their Habenaro Salt & Flake Sea Salt are awesome... Plus they make the best Sea Salt Carmel I have ever had... 

https://jacobsensalt.com/

NETARTS BAY Gift Shop at the Saltworks  ( This is where they make the salt and I go)

9820 Whiskey Creek Road , Tillamook, OR 97141

The store in Portland
PORTLAND Tasting Room

602 SE Salmon Street

Portland, OR 97214
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ImHogginIt

Quote from: kibster on November 02, 2017, 07:18:54 am
We love the Oregon Coast.  We usually stay a little further up the coast in Arch Cape (just south of Cannon Beach).  We have a fantastic place we stay at right on the water.  Also, the food in Portland scene is insanely good. (second photo is me watching the hogs game against TCU last year)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKKN6kgjgSE/?taken-by=jwkibbey

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMqGNGDtl_/?taken-by=jwkibbey

Cool pics.

We just got back home to Texas. I enjoyed the Oregon coast but still prefer Northern California from Bodega Bay down to Big Sur. We've been to that area multiple times. I've now been to every coastal area in the US except for Southern California and the Miami area and Northern Cal is where my oceanfront vacations will primarily be from this point on.

kibster

If anyone is interested, here is the piece I wrote for a local food blog on my EatMaine trip.

http://themightyrib.com/travel-eating-portland-maine-mid-coast/

I was also spent last weekend eating my way through Kansas City, a town I haven't visited since I was a kid.

DeltaBoy

We grilled Ohoma Steaks for Christmas eve Lunch
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Did this the other day.   We've gotten where we like sautéed veggies so when I grilled a couple filets I threw the cast iron skillet on the egg, poured a little oil in it and sautéed  squash and onions to go along with the meat.  Certainly is a great way to do them, no mess in the kitchen!

DeltaBoy

It been too cold and windy to do much with the Weber.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

kibster

I will be doing a brisket on the egg this weekend.

Boarcephus

We wound up doing this on the egg today.  One of the spur of the moment deals.  Blackened cobia and blackened shrimp tacos.  I needed something with a little larger cooking area than my cast iron skillet so I found this Lodge griddle.  Fits the bill rather nicely. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 12, 2018, 02:20:01 pm
We wound up doing this on the egg today.  One of the spur of the moment deals.  Blackened cobia and blackened shrimp tacos.  I needed something with a little larger cooking area than my cast iron skillet so I found this Lodge griddle.  Fits the bill rather nicely. 

Great set up!

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 12, 2018, 02:47:12 pm

Great set up!

Appreciate it.  That Lodge Cookware is hard to beat.  It'll last for years, can't wear it out, and it's not all that expensive.  The skillet in the first picture was my great grandmothers and it's been handed down.  I bet it has to be close to 100 years old. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 12, 2018, 03:11:13 pm
Appreciate it.  That Lodge Cookware is hard to beat.  It'll last for years, can't wear it out, and it's not all that expensive.  The skillet in the first picture was my great grandmothers and it's been handed down.  I bet it has to be close to 100 years old. 
Was the skillet lodge brand also?

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 12, 2018, 04:33:20 pm
Was the skillet lodge brand also?

Sure is.  All the skillets and griddles are Lodge.  I contacted Lodge trying to find the age of the skillet but didn't have any luck. 

WOOPIGDOOIE

kibster

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 14, 2018, 05:13:52 pm
Smoked a butt on this snowy day

Looks great!  On a side note, who do you guys use to host your images to post photos on here?

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: kibster on January 14, 2018, 05:35:12 pm
Looks great!  On a side note, who do you guys use to host your images to post photos on here?
When you post, click on Attachments under the message box, and click on choose file.

kibster

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 14, 2018, 06:29:20 pm
When you post, click on Attachments under the message box, and click on choose file.

But no way to do it from you phone?  I just tried that with my iPhones and t didn't work.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: kibster on January 14, 2018, 09:07:06 pm
But no way to do it from you phone?  I just tried that with my iPhones and t didn't work.
I uploaded that picture with my iPhone

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 14, 2018, 09:07:06 pm

When you do it from your phone, when you click on reply, click on preview before you post and then you can access "attachments" and add you photo. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 15, 2018, 06:50:00 am
When you do it from your phone, when you click on reply, click on preview before you post and then you can access "attachments" and add you photo.

I get this error:

An Error Has Occurred!

BB20A0AD-0333-408E-BFED-29A45725B48F.jpeg.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are txt,jpg,gif,pdf,mpg,png,mid,mp3,wav,m4r.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2018, 08:03:39 am
I get this error:

An Error Has Occurred!

BB20A0AD-0333-408E-BFED-29A45725B48F.jpeg.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are txt,jpg,gif,pdf,mpg,png,mid,mp3,wav,m4r.

I have an iPhone 7.  Had a 4 but it didn't survive when it got dumped into the pond on number 4 at PV along with my push cart.   ;)

When I want to post a pic, I reply, I type my text, then hit preview.  I then hit Attachments and drop down to hit Choose File and that allows me select a photo from my photo library. 

If you do it that way and get An Error Has Occurred message, I'm lost.  Good luck because I'd like to see any food pics.  There are some smart mothers on here who can help you, I'm just not one of them.  Sorry....

kibster

That is exactly what I do, so no clue.

So in the interim, here is a link to Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd8-X-uAzjV/

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2018, 08:48:34 am

Made my mouth water just looking at it! I'm gonna have to do a brisket this week

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2018, 08:48:34 am

Looks good.  I've never done a brisket or slow cooked a shoulder.  Guess I need to try it one day. 

Been told I'm doing hot wings on the egg today.  Darn sure not doing anything outside for the next couple days with a high tomorrow of 15.  I like hot wings as much as the next guy and I'm not really a cheap mother but man, when you go out and order a couple dozen wings (which are usually small), an order of fries and two beers and it's north of $30 it made me reconsider going out for them.  You can buy a helluva lot wings for $10 and potatoes are cheap  ;) 

kibster

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 15, 2018, 08:58:42 am
Made my mouth water just looking at it! I'm gonna have to do a brisket this week

Thanks.  It was my first brisket on the egg.  Considering how difficult brisket can be, I was actually pretty happy with how it turned out.  It did turn out a little salty, but I can fix that with the rub next time.

Boarcephus

Here you go, hot wings on the egg.  I put together a dipping sauce we dip them in in the house. 

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 15, 2018, 01:52:31 pm
Here you go, hot wings on the egg.  I put together a dipping sauce we dip them in in the house.
Looks great, think I'm gonna have to invest into one of those eggs.

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 15, 2018, 01:52:31 pm

Looks great. How do you do your wings?

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 15, 2018, 02:40:00 pm

They are great, but are completely different than any other grill or smoker I have cooked in.

Boarcephus

January 15, 2018, 03:54:56 pm #791 Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:15:05 pm by Boarcephus
Quote from: kibster on January 15, 2018, 03:12:57 pm
Looks great. How do you do your wings?

The way that we like them is to heat the egg up to 325 or so, coat the wings with Zatarain's Creole seasoning, cook till done then coat them in mixture of Sweet Baby Rays Hot Wing Wing Sauce and Ranch dressing.  Meant to coat some of them with  Parmesan cheese but flat forgot.   What's great about the wings you do is you can coat them with whatever flavor you want to.  Super easy to do.  BTW, I do my wings skin on so if you do it this way, need to keep and eye on because that skin will cause the fire to flare up. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 15, 2018, 02:40:00 pm

One of the great things, IMO, about the eggs is you can't wear them out.  I've had mine for 8-10 years, use the hell out of it and the only thing I've had to replace is a fire grate last year and it cost me $20.  If you can swallow the cost of one those things, and they are pricey, you'll never regret buying one. 

jacobp

DeltaBoy

Thanks for that information Boarcephus   My Weber is hitting 5 years and I replaced the top grate cause I neglected it and the orginal one got all rusty.

99toLife

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 15, 2018, 03:58:34 pm
One of the great things, IMO, about the eggs is you can't wear them out.  I've had mine for 8-10 years, use the hell out of it and the only thing I've had to replace is a fire grate last year and it cost me $20.  If you can swallow the cost of one those things, and they are pricey, you'll never regret buying one.

You are correct, They are STUPID expensive, I won one in a golf tournament. Almost sold it that night, I kept it and it is killer. I've had it 10 years and use the hell out of it. Not sure it will ever wear out. Like you said maybe a new grate every 10 years ... 

Boarcephus

Quote from: 99toLife on January 19, 2018, 05:36:47 pm
You are correct, They are STUPID expensive, I won one in a golf tournament. Almost sold it that night, I kept it and it is killer. I've had it 10 years and use the hell out of it. Not sure it will ever wear out. Like you said maybe a new grate every 10 years ... 

I got tired of burning grills up.  You can drop $200 on a grill and burn it up in 2-3 years.  The last one I bought before the egg was one from the gas company that hooks into the gas line.  Dropped $500 on it and started replacing burners, grills, etc within the first 2-3 years.  My brother talked me into the egg, sold the wife on it (one hell of a hard sell I might add) and have never looked back.  I'd forgotten how good the taste of meat cooked over charcoal was compared to gas. 

kibster

Not grilling this weekend. In NOLA for a food trip.

hogbud

Cuban sandwiches from pork loin on egg....usually not a sandwich fan but was a big hit

netteltonhog

I've had a Smokin Tex electric smoker for years and love it. I purchased a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill last fall to replace my gas grill and never use the smoker except for salmon anymore...  The pellet grill is a no brainer for just about everything from slow cooking brisket and butts, to searing steaks...  Hands down best grill I've ever owned...