Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more weeks...

Started by Porkatarian, November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 13, 2017, 07:54:29 am
The current Penn State head coach didn't seem to have any trouble "raising the ceiling" at Vandy.................

Some are program builders.....

LuckyGiraffe

I would wager that these are three of the hires this offseason. The scariest being Campbell to Tenn. I think he is the perfect hire for them and will turn that program into a juggernaut. (I hate Tennessee, but I think they finally get it right)

Mullen to Florida
Campbell to Tennessee
Norvell to Arkansas

hawg IQ

The best pro spread guy that can hire the best defensive coach .
go hogs go !

ipigsooie

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 13, 2017, 07:59:13 am
I would wager that these are three of the hires this offseason. The scariest being Campbell to Tenn. I think he is the perfect hire for them and will turn that program into a juggernaut. (I hate Tennessee, but I think they finally get it right)

Mullen to Florida
Campbell to Tennessee
Norvell to Arkansas

I just read that Florida is vetting Chip Kelly.  The background check is one of the first steps before hiring.  I still think Mullen ends up at Tennessee. I agree, and hope we get Norvell

East Clintwood

So it sounds like the only thing we've got left to hope for is that Gus turns us down.

So our sad state of affairs continues.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 12, 2017, 01:46:41 pm
Does anyone here think there's a chance Bert might pull a Hooty and run off to another school before we officially give him the pink slip?   Not saying there's another school out there that would hire him, but maybe there is.

Ole Piss, same as Hooty.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 09:40:26 pm
Gus would not be able to duplicate at Arkansas anywhere near the success level he's attained at Auburn simply because the premium blue chip talent doesn't gravitate to Arkansas like they do to Auburn.  With mediocre, leftover 2 star and 3 star talent to work with, Gus's record would be mediocre - at best -  at Arkansas.  We would gain zilch.

If Knute Rockne or Bear Bryant could return from the dead and take over the helm at Arkansas, we would STILL find ourselves mired in mediocrity.  We don't draw the upper echelon talent to develop.  We don't have it now, - - and we won't have it next year, - - or the year after that.
I have heard this theory floated a hundred times in several threads over the last couple of weeks.  I don't understand it, however.  In Petrino era, we went in his last two years 10-3 and 11-2, respectively, and were ranked #5.  During Nutt tenure, we played in the SEC championship game twice and beat several highly ranked opponents such as LSU and Auburn.  Lou Holtz's tenure had similar success with high rankings and high profile wins.  Danny Ford was beginning to accumulate SEC caliber talent. 
So I don't buy we can't achieve high results in our recruiting efforts.  However, with this lazy coaching staff it is easier to blame it on this false theory that talent can't be recruited to this school that many of you are buying.   I would say that whether it is Gus, Mike Norvell or whoever, that they will hit the road to recruit.  Gus attracted talent to Auburn as you state, and I don't see how that doesn't translate in good measure to University of AR if he should be there. 

Marshfieldhog

Lady Razorback

Quote from: RedRazorHog on November 13, 2017, 07:13:42 am
I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Gus and the fan base.  What I can say though is that he has basically been a winner everywhere he's been.  3 high schools - he was a winner.  Arkansas - he was a winner (in fact a complete winner) until HDN took back the reigns (which resulted in losses), then at Tulsa, then at Auburn as O-Coordinator, then at Arkansas State, and now at Auburn.  Look at it this way - he took over at Auburn, and look where they are now - they're in the hunt.  Look where we are right now, we're also in the hunt....for a new coach, an identity, some modicum of satisfaction. 

Bottom line - if we had a chance to get a guy that plays the best players, puts the best system for the PLAYERS HE HAS, and wins - would be just fine with me.

Exactly this.  Plus, he is coaching in the same state as Nick Saban and Bama.  I would say that this is a distinct disadvantage there for attracting in state talent and other recruits in the SEC region.  Yet, he still has been able to achieve a level of success at Auburn. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 13, 2017, 08:00:53 am
The best pro spread guy that can hire the best defensive coach .
And, doesn't he have strong defense this year at Auburn.  As I recall his defense at beginning of year was what kept them in the race until he got back key running back from injury. 

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 13, 2017, 08:31:03 am
Exactly this.  Plus, he is coaching in the same state as Nick Saban and Bama.  I would say that this is a distinct disadvantage there for attracting in state talent and other recruits in the SEC region.  Yet, he still has been able to achieve a level of success at Auburn. 
With the best players money can buy. Can he do it without the players on payroll or are we going to change our tactics to get those players?

Jimbob111

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 12, 2017, 09:40:26 pm
Gus would not be able to duplicate at Arkansas anywhere near the success level he's attained at Auburn simply because the premium blue chip talent doesn't gravitate to Arkansas like they do to Auburn.  With mediocre, leftover 2 star and 3 star talent to work with, Gus's record would be mediocre - at best -  at Arkansas.  We would gain zilch.

If Knute Rockne or Bear Bryant could return from the dead and take over the helm at Arkansas, we would STILL find ourselves mired in mediocrity.  We don't draw the upper echelon talent to develop.  We don't have it now, - - and we won't have it next year, - - or the year after that.

This is bull crap. The two starting defensive ends at New England played here. On the same team. Arkansas can get enough talent to win. Hootie should have won the SEC atleast twice with the talent he had. Other than Auburn with Cadillac and Brown (Maybe Brewer?) I can't remember two first round RBs from the same backfield being drafted together.

The talent is available if properly coached. I STILL think Danny Ford could have done a lot with another year but I was a lot younger then so who knows.

Arkansas might not get the 5 starts that Alabama gets but they get enough talent to compete if the coaching is there.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Albert Einswine

Gus's record at Auburn:

2013: 12-2, lost to Fla. St. in BCSCG

2014: 8-5, lost to Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl

2015: 7-6, beat Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl

2016: 8-5, lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl

At a corrupt school where they buy players that isn't a stellar resume. I don't really get the fascination some of y'all have with the guy. Bring him to Arkansas and he'll be harder to get rid of than Houston Nutt.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

31to6

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 13, 2017, 08:54:48 am
Gus's record at Auburn:

At a corrupt school where they buy players that isn't a stellar resume. I don't really get the fascination some of y'all have with the guy. Bring him to Arkansas and he'll be harder to get rid of than Houston Nutt.
Nobody appreciates your facts, sir.

a0ashle

I don't want Gus purely because of the baggage he has with this fan base. The baggage maybe fair or not, but it exists and if we are gonna make a change, I want them to start fresh and not dig up bad blood.

BR

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 13, 2017, 07:59:13 am

Mullen to Florida
Campbell to Tennessee
Norvell to Arkansas
$100 that all 3 are not right, since YOUR willing to wager..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

bphi11ips

Quote from: 31to6 on November 13, 2017, 08:57:17 am

Why don't you run down the losses.  Include the rankings of Auburn's opponents and location of each game while you're at it.  I'll hang up and listen.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 09:06:54 am
Why don't you run down the losses.  Include the rankings of Auburn's opponents and location of each game while you're at it.  I'll hang up and listen.

Why don't you tell us why 8-5 (bowl loss), 7-6 (bowl win), 8-5 (bowl loss) gets your juices flowing?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Scott7703

Gus's record at Auburn:

How's he doing this year?

Also, what's he average win total over those 5 years?

He probably wouldn't be able to ever reach the level bielema has taken our program but you never know.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 13, 2017, 09:09:43 am

Why don't you tell us why 8-5 (bowl loss), 7-6 (bowl win), 8-5 (bowl loss) gets your juices flowing?

Actually, it's....

12-2: BCS championship loss, barely
8-5: bowl loss
7-6: bowl win
8-2: TBD

That's not bad at all. Who has done better that last 5 years that we're able to hire?

HoopS

Quote from: 31to6 on November 13, 2017, 08:57:17 am
the facts are fine. It's the assumptions most could do without.

But let's be clear.

He almost won a national title, did win one as an assistant, is now in position to get back to the SECCG — all while SECW has been loaded, and with Georgia as their permanent east rival, and playing Clemson OOC. Of course it's gonna be hard to average as many wins as you all demand of him. Still gonna average about 9 wins a season.

I really believe if he had no ties or history with Arkansas, and had all of the accolades he has earned, most of the naysayers would be turning backflips to get him.

I also get it. You're tired of hearing about him. I either want us to hire him or move on completely from him this time. Either do it or don't and I'll support it either way. But I'm sorry, I wouldn't NOT hire him because some folks don't like him. There will be a segment who doesn't like whoever we hire for their own reasons. We need to hire who we want to hire and let the results determine the rest.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hog_fan on November 12, 2017, 04:51:16 pm
Campbell has no ties to the south. Need someone with ties to the south. Majority of fans will support any coach unril they can't get it done. 3 years you have a good idea. At Arkansas, almost for sure get 4 and probably 5 years.

It seems as Norvell is the guy. Going to find out if he wants the job like people say he does.

1st week of December should know who will be the HC.

Word on the street around Knoxville is that Campbell is their man. His northern ties would be alright on Rocky Top, and dollars are no object with a 102,455 seat stadium to fill. Butts in seats would take care of that in short order. That is, of course, if Gruden does not want to come home.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 13, 2017, 09:16:38 am
Actually, it's....

12-2: BCS championship loss, barely
7-6: bowl win
8-2: TBD

That's not bad at all. Who has done better that last 5 years that we're able to hire?

The problems is he's done that in the Same conference as us with vastly superior recruiting classes that he won't have at his disposal at Arkansas.  With any coach we hire you ask yourself "how will he do here" because typically they aren't from your same division of your same conference, they have been playing against different competition, or perhaps they are at a school with fewer resources etc.  Well you can look for yourself and see how Gus would do here except take away a few of those wins of of each season because of the talent differential. 

I don't have anything against Gus.  I think he is a decent enough coach, but I can't see how anyone could look at his current record at Auburn and think he could be successful here.  I am willing to listen if someone can convince me, but if he is currently winning about 8 games a year against the teams he will have to play as the head coach of Arkansas in a conference where his system has been dissected and is well known with less talent than he currently has, how is he going to do as good or better than he is currently doing at Auburn?  It's also not necessary to point out  that he's better than what we currently have.  That isn't any kind of argument for the next head coach.  Most active coaches are going to be better than what we currently have.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 13, 2017, 09:44:52 am

Word on the street around Knoxville is that Campbell is their man. His northern ties would be alright on Rocky Top, and dollars are no object with a 102,455 seat stadium to fill. Butts in seats would take care of that in short order. That is, of course, if Gruden does not want to come home.

Along with a $350m re-work of the old staduium.   

http://www.wbir.com/article/sports/board-approves-revisions-to-neyland-stadium-master-plan/51-488565379

bphi11ips

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 13, 2017, 07:54:29 am
The current Penn State head coach didn't seem to have any trouble "raising the ceiling" at Vandy.................

James Franklin did a great job at Vandy.  That's why he is at Penn State.  He's done a good job there in a situation that is similar to Auburn's.

The question is this - what did Vandy look like after the 2010 football season?  Vanderbilt Chancellor Gordon Gee abolished the position of athletic director in 2003.  The Commodores won just 13 SEC games in the next 8 years.  They were 1-15 in the two years prior to offering Malzahn $15M for 5 years.  Word in Nashville was that Vanderbilt would commit to building a football team in much the same that way that Stanford, Duke and Purdue were able to build theirs.  They certainly had the money to do it. 

Malzahn and Franklin were both offensive coordinators in 2010.  Malzahn clearly weighed the risk of blunting his forward momentum after getting much of the real credit for Auburn's 2010 NC with failure at a dismal program like Vanderbilt.  James Franklin had a good year himself in 2010 as Maryland's OC.  The Terrapins had a good year, averaging over 350 ypg passing.  Franklin got much of the credit for Maryland's 9-4 season after finishing 2-10 in 2009. 

Malzahn was reportedly offered $15M for three years at Vandy.  Franklin accepted a deal worth about $1.5 in base salary.  He made about $1.8M in 2011. 

Malzahn accepted the Arkansas State job in 2012 and went 9-3 while Chizik was going 3-9 at Auburn.  His initial deal at Auburn was a little less than the $3M per year Vandy offered, but after going 12-2 with a trip to the NC game in his first year, Malzahn received a raise to $3.77 M and now makes just less than $5M per year.

The point was that Malzahn made a conscious decision not to take the Vandy risk in 2010.  It was probably the best decision viewed prospectively.  It worked out well for him.

Is Franklin a better coach than Malzahn?  Maybe.  Their track records since 2010 are both impressive.  One could argue that Franklin's is more impressive given what he did at Vandy.  Derek Mason has not been able to duplicate it.  If James Franklin will come to Arkansas that would be fine with most of us, I suspect.

bphi11ips

Albert - my juices are none of your damn business.

I've explained for years why Gus Malzahn is one of the best coaches in the business.  You've been here to read what I've said.  Most of the national media has understood it since 2006.  If you don't get it then that's no Big Deal.

ricepig

He would have been fired at Alabama for that three year run, my, how far Auburn has fallen.....

porque

Gus's record at Auburn:

Amen

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 09:06:54 am

What difference does that make?  He's going to have to face a slate of murderous teams, there is only one easy out in the SEC WEST and it is us.  In the end the U of A will hire Gus if they want to with or without input from a guy like me, but I am of the opinion it will be a mistake.     

MDGoHawgs

Regarding Norvell: 106th and 111th defense nationally since he's been head coach at Memphis. I understand it's an up tempo offense but he needs to demonstrate a modicum of defense for me to be interested. Otherwise, we may as well just jet to the Big 12.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 10:03:22 am

I've explained for years why Gus Malzahn is one of the best coaches in the business.  You've been here to read what I've said.  Most of the national media has understood it since 2006.  If you don't get it then that's no Big Deal.

But he isn't though. This is what I don't get. Why does GM get a pass that other coaches don't?  He a good coach, and that's all. He's done nothing as a head coach to make him worthy of the title "One of the best in the business" unless you are including 25-26 other coaches as also one of the best.  He's been a head coach at a major school for all of 5 years.  He's slightly above average. And in my opinion he would never be able to replicate even the middling successes he's had at Auburn, as the coach at Arkansas.     

bphi11ips

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 10:14:46 am
He's done nothing as a head coach to make him worthy of the title "One of the best in the business"     

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

BigE_23

This.

Arkansas and Gus are a match made in heaven. Like you said, it should have happened in 2012, but for a few disgruntled people close to Jeffrey is would have, and we all would have rallied around him.

We aren't going to be in the running for NC's year in and out, but Gus would make us competitive. Hell, the entire state of HS coaches are running his offense! We wouldn't lose in-state talent and recruits would be plug and play. He knows how to recruit nationally, especially in the south, and he would attract better talent to The Hill.

It's where we need to look first...and we should do everything we can to make it happen. It would also be pretty fitting to replace CBB with Gus since Bert's been butthurt about the guy since taking the job.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 13, 2017, 08:48:56 am
This is bull crap. The two starting defensive ends at New England played here. On the same team. Arkansas can get enough talent to win. Hootie should have won the SEC atleast twice with the talent he had. Other than Auburn with Cadillac and Brown (Maybe Brewer?) I can't remember two first round RBs from the same backfield being drafted together.

The talent is available if properly coached. I STILL think Danny Ford could have done a lot with another year but I was a lot younger then so who knows.

Arkansas might not get the 5 starts that Alabama gets but they get enough talent to compete if the coaching is there.

Thank you.

Albert Einswine

To each his own.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 13, 2017, 09:44:52 am

Forget about Gruden, he isn't going to tak a lateral salary move or even a raise to trade in his 60 day a year work schedule for one that requires 350 at 16 hours plus a day.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 13, 2017, 10:46:41 am
Forget about Gruden, he isn't going to tak a lateral salary move or even a raise to trade in his 60 day a year work schedule for one that requires 350 at 16 hours plus a day.

The idiots that think Gruden is coming justify it by saying that espn cant afford mnf anymore and gruden will get out before the ship sinks. I think he does want to coach again but if he does itll be in the nfl.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 10:04:53 am
He would have been fired at Alabama for that three year run, my, how far Auburn has fallen.....

Total BS. Auburn's all time win percentage is 61%. Gus is currently 68% as Head Coach and 72% if you throw in his 2 years as OC at Auburn - two years that virtually every Auburn fan credited Gus for at the time. Hence, firing Chizik and bringing back Gus. For comparison sake, Alabama's all time win percentage is 72%.

Point is, people build up Auburn like they are some monster like Alabama. They aren't. The naysayers act like Gus walked in to a powerhouse program at Auburn and brought it down to mediocre. False.

Fact is, based on history, Gus walked into an above average program and has outperformed their historical norm. And he has done it at a time not when Alabama is struggling, but while Nick Saban has them on one of their best runs in school history.

Paint it how you want, but taking all things into consideration what Gus is doing at Auburn right now is nothing short of remarkable.

ipigsooie

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 01:12:50 pm
Two weeks from tomorrow......

I have to admit that this Thanksgiving i will be extra thankful. These 2 weeks cant get by fast enough. Its time fir a renewed spirit in Hogville.  Im so ready to close the door and open a new one on whoever it is that we hire. I want Norvell but ultimately will put my full support behind whoever we hire. Wps!

Hawginj

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 13, 2017, 10:51:43 am
Total BS. Auburn's all time win percentage is 61%. Gus is currently 68% as Head Coach and 72% if you throw in his 2 years as OC at Auburn - two years that virtually every Auburn fan credited Gus for at the time. Hence, firing Chizik and bringing back Gus. For comparison sake, Alabama's all time win percentage is 72%.

Point is, people build up Auburn like they are some monster like Alabama. They aren't. The naysayers act like Gus walked in to a powerhouse program at Auburn and brought it down to mediocre. False.

Fact is, based on history, Gus walked into an above average program and has outperformed their historical norm. And he has done it at a time not when Alabama is struggling, but while Nick Saban has them on one of their best runs in school history.

Paint it how you want, but taking all things into consideration what Gus is doing at Auburn right now is nothing short of remarkable.
but Gus doesn't get credit for Chizik that's like saying Dabo or saban don't really win with thier team. Facts are facts Chizik has the highest win% for Auburn end of story.  It's not an uncommon fact CHIZ AND GUS didn't get along. Gus struck a deal like BP tried to do left for A State for a year and came back.

Svrdhd

Surely all current SEC coaching contracts now have a non-compete clause for divisional rivals. I know that didn't exist for Tuberville and HDN but find it hard to believe that wouldn't be boilerplate at this point in time.
  Meaning Malzahn and Mullen couldn't come to Arkansas if they wanted to.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

MDGoHawgs

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 10:55:18 am
I have to admit that this Thanksgiving i will be extra thankful. These 2 weeks cant get by fast enough. Its time fir a renewed spirit in Hogville.  Im so ready to close the door and open a new one on whoever it is that we hire. I want Norvell but ultimately will put my full support behind whoever we hire. Wps!

I agree. Would 100% Malzahn, Kelly or Venables. Could also see Strong. Otherwise, Norvell MIGHT be an option provided he addresses concerns regarding the putrid defense at Memphis.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Svrdhd on November 13, 2017, 11:08:59 am
  Surely all current SEC coaching contracts now have a non-compete clause for divisional rivals. I know that didn't exist for Tuberville and HDN but find it hard to believe that wouldn't be boilerplate at this point in time.
  Meaning Malzahn and Mullen couldn't come to Arkansas if they wanted to.

I read gus's. He doesnt.  The only thing is he or his agents cant speak to another school without permission from the athletic director. No  non compete clause though.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Hawginj on November 13, 2017, 11:04:57 am
but Gus doesn't get credit for Chizik that's like saying Dabo or saban don't really win with thier team. Facts are facts Chizik has the highest win% for Auburn end of story.  It's not an uncommon fact CHIZ AND GUS didn't get along. Gus struck a deal like BP tried to do left for A State for a year and came back.

Facts are facts? I guess if you make up your own facts.

Chiz win percentage was 63% as HC. That includes three years with Gus as OC. The only year Gus wasn't OC Chiz went 3-9.

Gus winning percentage is 68% as HC at Auburn.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 13, 2017, 11:14:45 am
Facts are facts? I guess if you make up your own facts.

Chiz win percentage was 63% as HC. That includes three years with Gus as OC. The only year Gus wasn't OC Chiz went 3-9.

Gus winning percentage is 68% as HC at Auburn.

Let me also remind you that after that 3-9 year from Chiz he was fired and they brought Gus back as HC then went to the National Championship game the very next year.

hogfan stuck in texas

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 01:47:23 pm

I just see him A&M bound
I like Morris as well but agree that he will likely end up at his alma mater if Sumlin gets the boot

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 10:18:57 am
Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Auburn_Tigers_football_team

Yes really.  He didn't win the national championship. He took a team Gene Chizik built and lost the national championship, and he hasn't done anything remarkable since, unless I am missing something.  It is only my opinion, but I don't think losing the national championship and then following that up with 8, 7, 8 win seasons with some of the best talent to be had in the country makes you one of the best in the business. You think it does and that is fine. We just have different opinions.     

oldhawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 11:39:00 am
Yes really.  He didn't win the national championship. He took a team Gene Chizik built and lost the national championship, and he hasn't done anything remarkable since, unless I am missing something.  It is only my opinion, but I don't think losing the national championship and then following that up with 8, 7, 8 win seasons with some of the best talent to be had in the country makes you one of the best in the business. You think it does and that is fine. We just have different opinions.     

On the other hand, Auburn's record was 3-9 the year before Malzahn took over as head coach.  I would say that taking a 3-9 team to the National Championship Game in one year is quite an accomplishment.  Could be that defenses somewhat caught up to his offensive philosophy after that.  But he appears to be making adjustments that have made Auburn very competitive again.

Hawgphat

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 13, 2017, 08:48:56 am

You "reality deniers" need to stop touting what Arkansas "USED TO DO".  Times and modes have changed.  Look at the W-L  results of the five years of The Bielema era and then tell me again that my observation is "bull crap". Maintaining that satisfying results can be obtained by settling for a lower overall talent level player complement and coaching the underrated players up to over-performing standards is - at best - a "hit or miss" proposition.  Yes, that principle has worked to an efficient degree AT TIMES in our history, - - but it's OBVIOUSLY not working for us right now.

Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and several other SEC football programs are eating our lunch on "recruiting" coups. - - and there's not much we can do about that inequity anytime soon; we can't FORCE 5 star, blue chip athletes to want to bypass the high-profile programs and come to Arkansas.

If we can somehow land a humdinger of a highly proficient coach who is willing to start from scratch here with a brand new drawing board, it is possible that we might begin to witness an upward trend in our fortunes in 3-4 years.  That's the sad state of Razorbacks Football.  Any other outlook or prediction is "bull crap".

hogsanity

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 13, 2017, 08:28:28 am
I have heard this theory floated a hundred times in several threads over the last couple of weeks.  I don't understand it, however.  In Petrino era, we went in his last two years 10-3 and 11-2, respectively, and were ranked #5.  During Nutt tenure, we played in the SEC championship game twice and beat several highly ranked opponents such as LSU and Auburn.  Lou Holtz's tenure had similar success with high rankings and high profile wins.  Danny Ford was beginning to accumulate SEC caliber talent. 
So I don't buy we can't achieve high results in our recruiting efforts.  However, with this lazy coaching staff it is easier to blame it on this false theory that talent can't be recruited to this school that many of you are buying.   I would say that whether it is Gus, Mike Norvell or whoever, that they will hit the road to recruit.  Gus attracted talent to Auburn as you state, and I don't see how that doesn't translate in good measure to University of AR if he should be there. 

And what did BP's best two teams, and HDn's best two teams have in common? Abnormally high numbers of in state difference makers and solid ol's.

Give BB the 2006/07 or 10/11 teams and his is rocking 9 or 10 wins just like they did ( well 07 should have been ). Give Gus those teams and he has the same thing. Give either of them the 2008 or 2004 teams, and he would have a losing record just like they did.

People seem to think some coaches are miracle workers. If they are so great, let them go win national titles at Ball State or Buffalo.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE