Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 more weeks...

Started by Porkatarian, November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

Quote from: RexMentor on November 12, 2017, 03:05:27 pm
There's the polarization I have talked about. I don't believe Jeff Long -- if he is in trouble with the BOT -- will make a choice that is that polarizing.

You're always going to have a few that will say something like that.  Winning cures that.

Make no mistake.  Jeff is in trouble with the BOT and if the rumors are accurate his wings have already been clipped.  Granted, they are just rumors, but the four hour long meeting the other day speaks volumes about the state of the football program, even though we don't have the official transcripts.

UA1985

Chad Morris is leading a helluva turnaround at SMU. His offense is cutting egde. He's a natural leader. Good recruiter. Probably one more good season at SMU away from being the coach everyone wants. Let's get him now.

WilsonHog

There's the polarization I have talked about. I don't believe Jeff Long -- if he is in trouble with the BOT -- will make a choice that is that polarizing.

I predict that Jeff Long will have roughly the same level of input on our next football coach as I will.

RexMentor

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 03:10:32 pm
You're always going to have a few that will say something like that.  Winning cures that.

Make no mistake.  Jeff is in trouble with the BOT and if the rumors are accurate his wings have already been clipped.  Granted, they are just rumors, but the four hour long meeting the other day speaks volumes about the state of the football program, even though we don't have the official transcripts.

Of course that four hour meeting was in private, closed executive session. And no on talked about it afterward.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 12, 2017, 03:01:46 pm
I'm calling bullcrap on this unless you give specifics. Gus is exactly who I think he is, a proven winner who coached a heisman winner , won a NC, went back to the NC game and almost won that one. He's beaten Saban too.

Let's be clear...Chizik won it all as HC and Gus was the OC that year.  I'm pretty sure he has only had one 10-win season as HC and he has never won against LSU in Baton Rouge.

I don't care if Kristi Malzahn wants to come home.  Gus makes enough money to buy a house in NWA for her.  You can already see here how divisive this is going to be with them and it's just the rumor stage for now. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

ricepig

Quote from: UA1985 on November 12, 2017, 03:10:40 pm
Chad Morris is leading a helluva turnaround at SMU. His offense is cutting egde. He's a natural leader. Good recruiter. Probably one more good season at SMU away from being the coach everyone wants. Let's get him now.

Who's aTm going to hire?? I've always heard there was mutual interest between both parties, and to be honest, I've heard he is interested in our opening, should we have one.

RexMentor

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 03:12:57 pm
I predict that Jeff Long will have roughly the same level of input on our next football coach as I will.
I think Long will make the decision. He might get more input this time, sure. Long is all about image and money. Money rarely embraces that much risk. But, you may be totally right. What do I know? We'll see in about 15 days.

RexMentor

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 03:14:22 pm
Who's aTm going to hire?? I've always heard there was mutual interest between both parties, and to be honest, I've heard he is interested in our opening, should we have one.

Great question. Of all the openings that are supposed to happen in the SEC, Texas A&M might be the best.

The real Hogules

Now that's just sick!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Piggie

The only thing that might bring Gus home other than him just wanting to come back is if the Auburn fan base treated him like Ken Hatfield was treated by ours. Hatfield won a SWC championship two years in a row and was determined to leave anyway. I know coaches should have tough skin, but sometimes the darts can penetrate and make them want a change. Sadly, though, the darts would fly at Gus right out the gate if he returns because there is an element who despises him no matter how successful he might become.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

David†

I have also heard Gus is coming back. Not sure how reliable but what I've heard through some of the Arkansas elites.

Hawginj

Quote from: okrazorback on November 12, 2017, 02:29:59 pm
Sorry. I don't know why you are so excited about Norvell. Gus has experience in the sec and is a good coach.  He is not an up & comer. He is already there.
I do not know how good Norvell would become.
then check him out. Much higher ceiling than Gus

Hawginj

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 12, 2017, 03:13:45 pm
Let's be clear...Chizik won it all as HC and Gus was the OC that year.  I'm pretty sure he has only had one 10-win season as HC and he has never won against LSU in Baton Rouge.

I don't care if Kristi Malzahn wants to come home.  Gus makes enough money to buy a house in NWA for her.  You can already see here how divisive this is going to be with them and it's just the rumor stage for now.
excactly!

EastexHawg

We can only hope.

hog_fan

Campbell has no ties to the south. Need someone with ties to the south. Majority of fans will support any coach unril they can't get it done. 3 years you have a good idea. At Arkansas, almost for sure get 4 and probably 5 years.

It seems as Norvell is the guy. Going to find out if he wants the job like people say he does.

1st week of December should know who will be the HC.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm
Who's at the top of your coaching wish list?

I'm hearing Gus with Norvell as a fallback plan.

Personally I like Chad Morris and Matt Campbell.

Porkatarian out...
[/quote
Quote from: Porkatarian on November 12, 2017, 01:11:19 pm
Who's at the top of your coaching wish list?

I'm hearing Gus with Norvell as a fallback plan.

Personally I like Chad Morris and Matt Campbell.

Porkatarian out...

Gus and Norvell In that order makes sense.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hawginj

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 12, 2017, 04:53:02 pm
Gus and Norvell In that order makes sense.
it does if you like a repeat of the past 5 years.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Hawginj on November 12, 2017, 05:09:48 pm
it does if you like a repeat of the past 5 years.

Absolutely crazy statement
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hawginj

fieldturf

Although Gus has and is having a good year at Aubbie this year it's got to be exciting for a chance to come home.  Hope he makes that choice and puts us back on the road to succeed in the West...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 12, 2017, 01:28:18 pm
I'd like to see a run made at Mullens, at Mississippi State.
He's already competing in the SEC-W and with facilities much worse than ours!
Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 01:41:12 pm
This is the guy you have to go for.

You guy's hooked anyone with this bait yet..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Barring something extremely unlikely, the fan base (or least hogville) will still be very divided after the hire.

The real Hogules

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 12, 2017, 05:25:18 pm
You guy's hooked anyone with this bait yet..?

I just read an article that listed Mullen as a leading candidate for both Tennessee and Florida, so others are taking notice of the job that he's doing in Starkville.
I said that I liked the guy and that he knows first hand how tough the SEC-W truly is.
And while I'm no Gus fan, I'm pretty open to the other names being mentioned.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hog_fan

I can see Gus being top target. Doesn't mean he accept. Auburn fans want him gone. Beating Georgia didn't change that. He will be in danger every year at Auburn. I could see him wanting a fresh part. If Norvell truly wants the job, then I think ir will be him.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 02:40:48 pm
When we were winning basketball games and championships in the 1970s and first part of the 1980s, it made me no difference that Eddie Sutton was pretty much a functioning alcoholic. When I took trips to Denver for the Final Four in 1990, and all of those trips to Dallas for the SWC Tournament, it made me no difference that Nolan's players were not graduating. When Petrino crashed his motorcycle, my thoughts were not, "Well, he has to go. We can't have a man who would cheat on his wife as our head football coach." My thoughts were more pragmatic: "You got caught, now you have to pay the price that comes with it." I have not missed a home game this season, and I'll be at both the Mississippi State and the Missouri games. Not once this season, or ever, have I turned to my wife and said, "Well, at least our kids are staying out of trouble and graduating." I doubt anyone else has, either.

My position on Gus Malzahn is that he is an outstanding football coach who has a track record for winning. What his relationship is with his wife, what church he attends, or whether he practices privately the faith he professes publicly, is none of my business - until it puts UA in a bad light (if it ever does). Did he take advantage of some generational talent at Springdale High to launch his career? No doubt. I suspect many of us, as we look at the opportunity to go from making $60,000 a year to eventually $4 million a year in less than 10 years, would have done the same.

Just come here, win football games, and don't embarrass the University publicly. I make that statement about Malzahn, about Norvell, about Morris, whoever.

It's great that Bielema is a good guy, that his players graduate, and (to a fair degree) stay out of trouble. What all of that is about to get him is fired.

For better or worse, that's the reality of major college athletics.

I completely agree with this. 

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: hog_fan on November 12, 2017, 04:51:16 pm

It seems as Norvell is the guy. Going to find out if he wants the job like people say he does.

1st week of December should know who will be the HC.

Wrong

It's Gus's job to turn down. He's choice #1, #2, #3 and if he for some reason turns it down, The who really knows.  The PTB want Arkansas connection and I know for sure Gus is #1 target.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 02:45:40 pm
Gus....
Gus....
Gus....
Gus....

Until he says no.

Then Mike Norvell.

PRJ

And, agree with this. 

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 12, 2017, 05:33:38 pm
And, agree with this. 

I agree with PRJ. It's Gus's to turn down

bvillepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 02:40:48 pm
When we were winning basketball games and championships in the 1970s and first part of the 1980s, it made me no difference that Eddie Sutton was pretty much a functioning alcoholic. When I took trips to Denver for the Final Four in 1990, and all of those trips to Dallas for the SWC Tournament, it made me no difference that Nolan's players were not graduating. When Petrino crashed his motorcycle, my thoughts were not, "Well, he has to go. We can't have a man who would cheat on his wife as our head football coach." My thoughts were more pragmatic: "You got caught, now you have to pay the price that comes with it." I have not missed a home game this season, and I'll be at both the Mississippi State and the Missouri games. Not once this season, or ever, have I turned to my wife and said, "Well, at least our kids are staying out of trouble and graduating." I doubt anyone else has, either.

My position on Gus Malzahn is that he is an outstanding football coach who has a track record for winning. What his relationship is with his wife, what church he attends, or whether he practices privately the faith he professes publicly, is none of my business - until it puts UA in a bad light (if it ever does). Did he take advantage of some generational talent at Springdale High to launch his career? No doubt. I suspect many of us, as we look at the opportunity to go from making $60,000 a year to eventually $4 million a year in less than 10 years, would have done the same.

Just come here, win football games, and don't embarrass the University publicly. I make that statement about Malzahn, about Norvell, about Morris, whoever.

It's great that Bielema is a good guy, that his players graduate, and (to a fair degree) stay out of trouble. What all of that is about to get him is fired.

For better or worse, that's the reality of major college athletics.
One of the best and most truthful post I have read. 

majp51

Quote from: Dr. Sheldon Cooper on November 12, 2017, 01:20:10 pm
No way Gus leaves Auburn for this mess...
I would be thrilled with ANY of the other three, but Norvell would be my first choice...

I don't know, after the past 6 years Arkasnas has had Gus cold come "home" and could replicate HDN's record and never get fired. Meanwhile at AU he could manage to win the NC, and two years later be out of football altogether.

Think about this. To all but the rabid fan base, teh past 6 years have been so bad that 20 Years of the kind of records HDN got at Arkansas would be enough to revitalize the program.

zane

I can't believe it but I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of Gus being coach.

I'm so tired of CBB that I'd be comfortable with pretty much anyone.
RIP LSUfan

Hawginj

Quote from: majp51 on November 12, 2017, 05:43:34 pm
I don't know, after the past 6 years Arkasnas has had Gus cold come "home" and could replicate HDN's record and never get fired. Meanwhile at AU he could manage to win the NC, and two years later be out of football altogether.

Think about this. To all but the rabid fan base, teh past 6 years have been so bad that 20 Years of the kind of records HDN got at Arkansas would be enough to revitalize the program.
and That's very very sad and the definition of insanity.

TulsaHawg

I don't think Jeff will be making the decision.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: TulsaHawg on November 12, 2017, 06:00:46 pm
I don't think Jeff will be making the decision.

No....this.cant.be....are you the original TulsaHawg? I am giddy right now....

PRJ

jgcat4

I'm so not on the Gus bus. Heck I'm not even gonna take a bus. I'll ride in a cab just so it doesn't rhyme. That makes me wanna be a Bama fan. I cannot stand that man.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Simple Swineman

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 12, 2017, 06:11:47 pm
I'm so not on the Gus bus. Heck I'm not even gonna take a bus. I'll ride in a cab just so it doesn't rhyme. That makes me wanna be a Bama fan. I cannot stand that man.

I thought Petrino was a slime ball, egotistical, and a major a-hole before he came to Arkansas. But I was never more excited when it was announced he is our coach. Why? Because as a Razorback fan I want to see us win games, not hang out with the coach. Get on board.

moses_007

Quote from: RexMentor on November 12, 2017, 02:55:26 pm
If it is Gus, his first act as coach will be to send Houston Nutt a framed and signed photo from the press conference.
Absolutely right... Nutt deserves it.  And Malzahn also should send one to each of Nutt's assistants that called him "high school" too........

Quote from: moses_007 on November 12, 2017, 06:31:34 pm
Absolutely right... Nutt deserves it.  And Malzahn also should send one to each of Nutt's assistants that called him "high school" too........
So all the stuff that's take us 10 years to get last will be front and center again.

moses_007

Quote from: Karma on November 12, 2017, 06:35:54 pm
So all the stuff that's take us 10 years to get last will be front and center again.
Shoot, 50 years from now the Nutt-Malzahn-Mustain thing will still be discussed in Hog circles.

Pork Ranger

If that's the case I can't see him staying/keeping his job.

Quickdraw

We are competing with other schools to hire the right coach. We might not get our first choice but their are some good coaches to choose from. But to get the perfect coach will be difficult at best. Look who we have to compete against.
Tennessee
Florida
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Nebraska

TulsaHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 06:05:31 pm
No....this.cant.be....are you the original TulsaHawg? I am giddy right now....

PRJ

Hi PRJ!  Good to see you.   :)

Justagp

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 12, 2017, 02:45:40 pm
Gus....
Gus....
Gus....
Gus....

Until he says no.

Then Mike Norvell.

PRJ
Please Gus, just say no!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I don't want no dude thinking about my opening, but that's just me...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

WilsonHog

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 12, 2017, 06:20:11 pm
I thought Petrino was a slime ball, egotistical, and a major a-hole before he came to Arkansas. But I was never more excited when it was announced he is our coach. Why? Because as a Razorback fan I want to see us win games, not hang out with the coach. Get on board.

So did I, and I figured he would one day leave in just as controversial fashion as he arrived. Knew he was a horse's ass...but he was our horse's ass, and we were winning football games.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 07:08:09 pm
So did I, and I figured he would one day leave in just as controversial fashion as he arrived. Knew he was a horse’s ass...but he was our horse’s ass, and we were winning football games.

Probably made it easier that most from Arkansas had not known anyone affected by Petrino being a horses ass. 

LRrazorback

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 12, 2017, 02:36:41 pm
Gus has all the signs of a sleazebag coach at a sleazebag school. Don't want Gus.

Why?  What has he done?  I see people complaining and not sure why

jgphillips3

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 07:08:09 pm
So did I, and I figured he would one day leave in just as controversial fashion as he arrived. Knew he was a horse's ass...but he was our horse's ass, and we were winning football games.

Yep.  I'd rather have other people hate our coach than either think he is a good guy or laugh at him like they do now.  If they hate your coach, it's because he beats their team or makes them think he could beat their team.

LRrazorback

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 12, 2017, 06:11:47 pm

I'll ask you too. Why?  What in the world has Gus done for people to hate him so much?