Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From back then to now

Started by 12247, January 26, 2014, 08:04:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

I am reviewing the Tulsa World sports page and it remeinds me of how it used to be versus how it is now.   As of January 26 in the AM, the Hogs have 2 commitments from the state of Texas.  Sure we hope and plan for 1 or 2 others but who knows.  OU has 20 commitments this AM and 8 are from Texas.  OSU has 23 commitments this AM and 14 are from Texas.  Even lightly reguarded Tulsa Univeraity has 12 verbals and 3 signed with 1 of the signed from Texas and 3 of the verbals from Texas.

Truth is we used to live and die on Texas recruits as did OU.  Now OSU has taken our place in the peeking order and they've got really better for their efforts.  We lost our mojo in Texas when we left that conference.  Way back we could take a Kid home 3 to 5 times annuallly to showcase his talents but when we left Texas, the Kids left us.  We haven't been able to pick up that slack from the Southeastern states where we look for those Kids Texas used to provide.  If we could gain a foothold in Texas again we could really help our cause.  Maybe if Thomas signs with us a bit of traction could be gathered.  We need it.

scruf

Say Texas again - I dare you. I *double* dare you.

scruf

OSU has 2 mid-terms and 25 hard commits for a total of 27. We're sitting on 20. We'll end up with a better class on paper and on the field.

tophawg19

we are able to go into the SEC regions now . so texass is less important , although we do need to be stronger there
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

regi

Since we joined the SEC, teams with Texas based talent, have two NCs, both were upsets. OU, in 02, Texas in 05. Not bad. Teams with southeast based talent (Fl, Ga, Al, La) have won 15. Texas is nice, but it is not the dominant beast some want to make it out to be. Give me the Fl, Ga, La, Al kids any day. The NFL agrees with me also.

JackJohnson

Quote from: 12247 on January 26, 2014, 08:04:32 am

Truth is we used to live and die on Texas recruits as did OU.  Now OSU has taken our place in the peeking order and they've got really better for their efforts.  We lost our mojo in Texas when we left that conference.  Way back we could take a Kid home 3 to 5 times annuallly to showcase his talents but when we left Texas, the Kids left us.  We haven't been able to pick up that slack from the Southeastern states where we look for those Kids Texas used to provide.  If we could gain a foothold in Texas again we could really help our cause.  Maybe if Thomas signs with us a bit of traction could be gathered.  We need it.

The answer lies within ur post.  OSU is now able to do the same thing by playing in the big 12.  Part of the reason for the whole jerry world contract as well as scheduling upcoming home and home games with TT and TCU is designed to get us back in there.  We know Tex has and always will be important to us so we are making an effort. 

However the ties of this new staff affords us with an opportunity to get into the area S Florida where there is so much talent and only one major school (da u) we have to fight the "hometown" team against.  If a kid is wanting to leave S Fl and play major college football then he is a plane ride away no matter where he goes and no teams will be able to "bring them back home" to play multiple times a season during their career.  Whereas in Tex there are so many "hometown" teams that are within a much closer driving distance that it is a tougher battle to get them to leave as well as schools like OSU that play in a conference which allows them to come "home" several times a year

Uberanubis

Quote from: regi on January 26, 2014, 08:49:41 am
Since we joined the SEC, teams with Texas based talent, have two NCs, both were upsets. OU, in 02, Texas in 05. Not bad. Teams with southeast based talent (Fl, Ga, Al, La) have won 15. Texas is nice, but it is not the dominant beast some want to make it out to be. Give me the Fl, Ga, La, Al kids any day. The NFL agrees with me also.

this. I was thinking the same. what have teams with heavy Texas players done. not a lot in the last 15 years.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

dhornjr1

redeye

While I think the talent in Florida is better, I also think the reason Texas talent has fewer NC's has more to do with coaching, then talent.  There's nothing wrong with Texas players, and like the OP, I'd like to see us do better in Texas, again.

Having said that, we seem to be doing better elsewhere, and I don't really care where it comes from, as long as it comes to us.  I just think we should be doing better in Texas then we have since leaving the SWC.

Chief Mac

I am reviewing the Tulsa World sports page and it remeinds me of how it used to be versus how it is now.   As of January 26 in the AM, the Hogs have 2 commitments from the state of Texas.  Sure we hope and plan for 1 or 2 others but who knows.  OU has 20 commitments this AM and 8 are from Texas.  OSU has 23 commitments this AM and 14 are from Texas.  Even lightly reguarded Tulsa Univeraity has 12 verbals and 3 signed with 1 of the signed from Texas and 3 of the verbals from Texas.

people gnash their teeth about how "we've tried this style of football before and it didn't win us anything" then biotch when we change up our recruiting focus. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hoggish1

You really aught to stop wasting your time living in the past.  It's a different world now: 

We are in the most competitive conference (It requires more careful evaluation so you don't waste a your time on a player who may not make it academically or who might get in trouble, or who may shrink from the rigors of competition and transfer without a fight).

aTm raised the stakes when they got into the SEC (They will not revert to their former selves as so many delusional fans remember about them).

Just because Texas is there doesn't mean that getting half your team from there means anything if those players are no able to get it done in the SEC (remember, not all recruits are created equal).

We are in national recruiting mode, not a regional one (We must take the best players available from throughout the nation). 

And now TX has a real coach, with a different mentality (This adds more pressure to the mix for recruits from that state).

We still play in Texas (next year twice and plans are to continue returning there at least that many times, each year), so it's not like kids won't be returning and we don't have big time exposure there.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 26, 2014, 09:59:32 am
You really aught to stop wasting your time living in the past.  It's a different world now: 

We are in the most competitive conference (It requires more careful evaluation so you don't waste a your time on a player who may not make it academically or who might get in trouble, or who may shrink from the rigors of competition and transfer without a fight).

aTm raised the stakes when they got into the SEC (They will not revert to their former selves as so many delusional fans remember about them).

Just because Texas is there doesn't mean that getting half your team from there means anything if those players are no able to get it done in the SEC (remember, not all recruits are created equal).

We are in national recruiting mode, not a regional one (We must take the best players available from throughout the nation). 

And now TX has a real coach, with a different mentality (This adds more pressure to the mix for recruits from that state).

We still play in Texas (next year twice and plans are to continue returning there at least that many times, each year), so it's not like kids won't be returning and we don't have big time exposure there.

well said.  We still need to recruit Texas but we have to recruit nationally in order to be successful.  Taking 3-5 out of Florida every year is a big part of that. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

redeye

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 26, 2014, 09:59:32 am

Texas A&M has finished 3rd and 4th in it's two years in the SEC, so while they have accomplished some impressive feats, I'm not ready to say they'll be different from now on out.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that we only need to recruit Texas.  The point is merely that we once recruited Texas better and it's the closest mega-recruiting territory, so why shouldn't we get some of the talent currently going to OSU and other regional schools?  Not playing in Texas much is a disadvantage in that regard, but there was a time when few players would choose OSU, TCU or Baylor over Arkansas.  If we're going to recruit well again, there's no reason why we shouldn't also see better results in Texas.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: redeye on January 26, 2014, 10:45:43 am
Texas A&M has finished 3rd and 4th in it's two years in the SEC, so while they have accomplished some impressive feats, I'm not ready to say they'll be different from now on out.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that we only need to recruit Texas.  The point is merely that we once recruited Texas better and it's the closest mega-recruiting territory, so why shouldn't we get some of the talent currently going to OSU and other regional schools?  Not playing in Texas much is a disadvantage in that regard, but there was a time when few players would choose OSU, TCU or Baylor over Arkansas.  If we're going to recruit well again, there's no reason why we shouldn't also see better results in Texas.

There was a  time when those schools were terrible, which is why recruits would choose us over them.  Those schools have all improved their programs, mostly because of good coaching and stability and now they recruit better than in the past.

Oklahawg

Tulsa World used to have a list of Arkansas recruits, articles on Arkansas recruiting, and the occasional ed-op piece focused on the Hogs.

That changed as well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Thanks, Redeye, for understanding what i was trying to say.  It is very true that the SE area of the country produces many great players and its also true that FLA, The U, FLA ST., BAMA. Aubbie, GA, TN, and now several other FLA schools thin those recruits out and till now, we've not gotten enough of them to make a huge difference in our situation.  Meanwhile, back in Texas, we used to be the #2 or 3 picker in that state.  Picking through the top 50 in Texas after Texas got 15 to 20 and OU got a half dozen, we still got lots of cream.  As long as we pick over the left overs after about 10 to 12 schools have sorted through and got theirs, we will always be lining up middle of the pack or below in the SEC.  Sure, we'll get a bit of cream like Collins from time to time, but holding out hope for 12 or 15 high rollers from the Fla/GA/LSU area every year just isn't likely.