Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is the Catfish Hole...

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, January 16, 2012, 07:08:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

We've all heard tales of what a great recruiting tool we have in The Catfish Hole. It's a regular looking fish house, like many that can be found all over the state. But evidently it turns into something special when recruits walk through the doors. I'd like to get your thoughts on what makes such an impression on recruits. Is it the food, the presentation, the fans? Just curious.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Tim Harris

West Coast Hog Fan

Best hushpuppies I have ever had.  But to answer your question it's the fans that show up.

ADAM_713

Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

LRHawg

They truly put on a show when the recruits come. That place gets loud, and the food is what I would consider "comfort food", which helps to present an atmosphere where the recruits feel welcomed and at home. If you've never been I highly recommend it.

Hogtied

It's not the hushpuppies for sue. It's the fish.  They are fried in a special lighter oil that gives them a very different and better taste than other catfish places.  Another reason may be that CBP just likes the place. lord knows it didn't neeed the extra buisness as one had to wait for a seat there for a long time before CBP got here.

Tim Harris

Where did the previous staff take recruits for dinner?  Has it always been the Catfish Hole?

Hogtied

Quote from: tbharris on January 16, 2012, 07:56:25 am
Where did the previous staff take recruits for dinner?  Has it always been the Catfish Hole?

Different places, it was coaches sports bar at one time. At least until Nutt an d his brother were asked not to come back. Seems he came in one time and jumped management that he and his pack did not have the seats they wanted, of course also free food they expected. 

shawn_563

Hooter and the staff took em to Sonic, gotta love them supersonic breakfast burritos
You gotta ask yourself is the juice worth the squeeze?

kristiandbilly

All about the $$$ and pups!! Pat & Janie are avid hog fans, and would do whatever it takes to make coaches, players & recruites happy... Some of the nicest folks I know. It was Coach Petrino that approached Pat about doing the show there on Wednesday nights, and Pat got the big head and said he would shut down half the restaurant for recruiting nights. (not actually shut down, just reserved)... Pat was and is there for the University, Nutt wanted catfish hole on the road with them during bowl games, so Pat would send their catering truck with the team to bowl games... It was also good advertisement.

ADAM_713

Quote from: kristiandbilly on January 16, 2012, 08:14:37 am
All about the $$$ and pups!! Pat & Janie are avid hog fans, and would do whatever it takes to make coaches, players & recruites happy... Some of the nicest folks I know. It was Coach Petrino that approached Pat about doing the show there on Wednesday nights, and Pat got the big head and said he would shut down half the restaurant for recruiting nights. (not actually shut down, just reserved)... Pat was and is there for the University, Nutt wanted catfish hole on the road with them during bowl games, so Pat would send their catering truck with the team to bowl games... It was also good advertisement.

So if Nutt wanted the truck on the road during bowl games, I guess that means Pat didn't have to take the truck out much.
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

Ray Piggers

I wouldn't think its the food. The hush puppies there are maybe a little bit better than the hush puppies at Long John Silvers. I would say its the fans, and the atmosphere.  Always a big turnout..
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Sow’sEar

Quote from: DahawgsN07 on January 16, 2012, 08:23:46 am
I wouldn't think its the food. The hush puppies there are maybe a little bit better than the hush puppies at Long John Silvers. I would say its the fans, and the atmosphere.  Always a big turnout..
I'll have to agree to disagree.  I frequent the one in Alma more than the one in Fayetteville because its closer to home.  Their fried catfish and hushpuppies are just about the best around. 

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Lulu Hog on January 16, 2012, 08:31:08 am
I'll have to agree to disagree.  I frequent the one in Alma more than the one in Fayetteville because its closer to home.  Their fried catfish and hushpuppies are just about the best around. 

Well, ill have to disagree.

ADAM_713

Come on bro, Long Johns?  They are a bit better than Long Johns.
true story...

Ray Piggers

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on January 16, 2012, 08:39:09 am
Come on bro, Long Johns?  They are a bit better than Long Johns.

Ha. I did say "a little bit better". It's just run of  the mill "ok" food to me.  It's definitely not legendary.  The atmosphere is great. Which is half the reason  most go there.

LRHawg

The hush puppies at the Fish Net by Degray Lake are the best. Catfish hole a close second.

TexHog188

It's the atmosphere created by raucous fans and fried food with sweet tea.  It screams, your in the south where we love our football and football players. It helps that the fish and hushpuppies are darn good.

You just don't get that at some chain restaurant that you can visit in any city in America.  It could probably be duplicated at any number of places in Fayetteville like AQ Chicken House for example, but it just happens to be Catfish Hole.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Break & Run

It HAS to be the fans and the atmosphere.  Vin Ascoleces (sp?) was all pumped up on Twitter about the visit to the Catfish Hole.  He said they were chanting his name and what not.  That is what makes recruits think they're special, when they have a whole crowd of racous fans chanting their name and making them feel like they can be a part of something special on the Razorback football team.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

hogfan98

While the Catfish Hole is very good and the hushpuppies are one of a kind, I think a lot of the allure is because a lot of people either don't know what it's like to eat catfish that they caught just a couple of hours before and prepared themselves, or they've forgotten.  I'm a part of the latter group.  When I first moved to Fayetteville to go to school, I was told that I had to go to the Catfish Hole.  So I did.  While it was good, it was nothing like what I had grew up on.  So I would go occasionally, but it never made my regular circuit of restaurants.  However, I found that after being away from home for several years, it got a lot better.  I attribute that to me just forgetting what it's like to have home raised fish.

I don't mean this as a knock on the Catfish Hole or the Gazzolas.  It's a great place and they are fine people.  It's just not as good as home.  But it's a good second place.

pedrothelion

It has nothing to do with the food.  Kid's don't commit because of fried fish and hush puppies no matter how good they are.  It's because they taken out to some innocuous sounding restaurant and they find themselves in a place full of rabid fans screaming their names.  It's all about the atmosphere.

LRHawg

Quote from: hogfan98 on January 16, 2012, 08:59:02 am
While it was good, it was nothing like what I had grew up on.

My feelings exactly. My Grandfather's fried catfish was top notch.

heatmiser

It is the fanfare, not the food, that makes it a recruiting hotspot. The food is nothing special in my opinion, however the hush puppies are really good.
Arkansas Razorbacks

razorbackcaller

Quote from: hogfan98 on January 16, 2012, 08:59:02 am
While the Catfish Hole is very good and the hushpuppies are one of a kind, I think a lot of the allure is because a lot of people either don't know what it's like to eat catfish that they caught just a couple of hours before and prepared themselves, or they've forgotten.  I'm a part of the latter group.  When I first moved to Fayetteville to go to school, I was told that I had to go to the Catfish Hole.  So I did.  While it was good, it was nothing like what I had grew up on.  So I would go occasionally, but it never made my regular circuit of restaurants.  However, I found that after being away from home for several years, it got a lot better.  I attribute that to me just forgetting what it's like to have home raised fish.

I don't mean this as a knock on the Catfish Hole or the Gazzolas.  It's a great place and they are fine people.  It's just not as good as home.  But it's a good second place.

This, I grew up eating catfish. we ate it almost every meal. We caught it and it was free food. When I say we ate it almost every meal I mean every meal. I didn't have my first taste of beef til I was about 6 years old. The catfish hole cannot touch my mothers fish,hush puppies, or fried potato's. But that being said it is good food. Oh yeah and we only ate flat head not channel cat, big difference.

Kilgor

Quote from: razorbackcaller on January 16, 2012, 09:48:02 am

This, I grew up eating catfish. we ate it almost every meal. We caught it and it was free food. When I say we ate it almost every meal I mean every meal. I didn't have my first taste of beef til I was about 6 years old. The catfish hole cannot touch my mothers fish,hush puppies, or fried potato's. But that being said it is good food. Oh yeah and we only ate flat head not channel cat, big difference.

Just an FYI:  Flatheads have 5-7 time more mercury than channel cats due to their diet.  Flatheads aren't safe to eat out of the Saline river, Ouachita river, or Shepherd Springs Lake.  Channel cats are safe to eat throughout the state.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

razorbackcaller

Quote from: Kilgor on January 16, 2012, 10:25:28 am
Just an FYI:  Flatheads have 5-7 time more mercury than channel cats due to their diet.  Flatheads aren't safe to eat out of the Saline river, Ouachita river, or Shepherd Springs Lake.  Channel cats are safe to eat throughout the state.

Myabe thats why I lack concentration and can't remember anything. LOL

(notOM)Rebel123

Thanks for the responses. I've never had the chance to go on a night when the recruits are there. Sounds like a great time for both fans and recruits!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Oklahawg

Years ago Nutt took the recruits to Doe's. "Fancier" but not as comfortable for recruits. The CH is relaxed, laid back and provides really good food (but not anything we'd confuse with 4-star cuisine). Players can graze as they choose vs ordering from a fancy menu.

Just a thought.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Seebs

Quote from: LRHawg on January 16, 2012, 08:48:30 am
The hush puppies at the Fish Net by Degray Lake are the best. Catfish hole a close second.

You sir - are correct!
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

booogaga

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 16, 2012, 11:19:48 am
Years ago Nutt took the recruits to Doe's. "Fancier" but not as comfortable for recruits. The CH is relaxed, laid back and provides really good food (but not anything we'd confuse with 4-star cuisine). Players can graze as they choose vs ordering from a fancy menu.

Just a thought.
Dude just imagine a 6'6 315 lb OT recruit going to Doe's. I imagine he would eat the porterhouse for two. LOL
GO HOGS!

uncle bubs

The Catfish Hole is one of my all time favorites, even with growing up eating catfish. The hushpuppies are brilliant, the food is good but more than that, the atmosphere is just great. It's a down home joint with down home folks. I can't wait to get back there when I travel home from Tennessee.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

woodhog14

Quote from: tbharris on January 16, 2012, 07:56:25 am

They used to go to Powerhouse and use the party room in the back by the patio.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on January 16, 2012, 08:17:30 am
So if Nutt wanted the truck on the road during bowl games, I guess that means Pat didn't have to take the truck out much.

If you're gonna slam him, at least use a real argument.. The dumbazz did get us to 8 bowls in 10 years... Now if they had asked The Catfish Hole to cater the after party for all the bowl wins you could have had something going there... Go back and try again. I have faith that you can do it..!

+1 for inspiration...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Flatline

Holding up signs, calling the hogs, and the fact that our fan base is rabid and knows a lot about the recruits.  I have noticed how the kids talk about how much the fans know about them. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: booogaga on January 16, 2012, 01:23:24 pm
Dude just imagine a 6'6 315 lb OT recruit going to Doe's. I imagine he would eat the porterhouse for two. LOL

If they took me to Doe's I'd hurt their(Both UA and Doe's) feelings...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Michael Porkleone

Just a thought.

Have you ever been to Doe's?

Not quite sure i'd call it fancy. :)
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

razorbackcaller

Quote from: 4windshawg on January 16, 2012, 02:47:54 pm
If they took me to Doe's I'd hurt their(Both UA and Doe's) feelings...

What is wrong with Doe's?

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

nwahogs

Quote from: booogaga on January 16, 2012, 01:23:24 pm

I love the 2 1/2 lb porterhouse. I'll finish it up and whatever my girlfriend leaves of hers.

tomahawkhog

Wow, what LJS's are you eating at?? 
Go Hogs!

hogbandwagon

Quote from: razorbackcaller on January 16, 2012, 02:56:34 pm

What is wrong with Doe's?
been there twice and both times it was nowhere near worth it , imo

razorbackcaller

Quote from: p bandwagon on January 16, 2012, 09:21:59 pm

I have never been, but was thinking about taking my wife so just wondering.

Hogtied

Just a thought.

You are right, Doe's also has limited seating and doesn't open until 5. 

JenksHawg

Hogtied

Quote from: p bandwagon on January 16, 2012, 09:21:59 pm

Really/ I was watching the travel channel and Doe's eat place was the number 4 best steak house in the whole country.  When two people can eat a great steak for $60 or less I call that pretty darn good.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Hogtied on January 16, 2012, 09:29:28 pm
Really/ I was watching the travel channel and Doe's eat place was the number 4 best steak house in the whole country.  When two people can eat a great steak for $60 or less I call that pretty darn good.

the does in Little Rock is the best steak I have had. And it is super affordable.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

DeepFreeze

Quote from: Flatline on January 16, 2012, 02:47:29 pm
Holding up signs, calling the hogs, and the fact that our fan base is rabid and knows a lot about the recruits.  I have noticed how the kids talk about how much the fans know about them. 

Yeah its more of the atmosphere than anything.  When I was up there, Catfish Hole was one of the places to go, especially when you got the all you could eat thing at the time.  Course what I really miss more is AQ Chicken House more than the Hole, their chicken over the coals is to die for.

Cresthog

Quote from: Hogtied on January 16, 2012, 07:54:39 am
It's not the hushpuppies for sue. It's the fish.  They are fried in a special lighter oil that gives them a very different and better taste than other catfish places.  Another reason may be that CBP just likes the place. lord knows it didn't neeed the extra buisness as one had to wait for a seat there for a long time before CBP got here.

A special lighter oil?

This is simply not true. Its freaking fried fish people. You can pretty much make it taste like whatever you want. It's white fish, may as well be white chicken breasts or tofu. It takes on whatever flavor it is seasoned with. Has absolutely nothing to do about a lighter oil. I'm sure he uses the same crap everyone else throws in their commercial fryers across the country, vegetable, peanut...whatever. I'm sure he isn't using the highest quality american farm raised catfish either. The man can straight up just fry good catfish. Seriously, its not like he's preparing souffle or foi gras stuffed terrines.