Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best route from NLR to Fort Walton Beach?

Started by wanderer, June 19, 2018, 06:24:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

Which route to Fort Walton Beach from NLR would you consider preferable this summer?

Thank you.

wanderer

Saw that.

I was hoping for more recent info, as that thread's about 1 1/2 yrs old.  There's construction along a couple of the routes at present.

razorshark

June 20, 2018, 06:43:29 pm #3 Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:08:21 pm by razorshark
We go the lake village route to pississsipi. Much better roads.  Watch cops on one and between vicksburg. lousianna roads suck
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

Boarcephus

Quote from: wanderer on June 20, 2018, 04:46:23 pm
Saw that.

I was hoping for more recent info, as that thread's about 1 1/2 yrs old.  There's construction along a couple of the routes at present.

Where is the construction being done??  We're headed back in about 3 months for the 30+ time. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

holeinthewall

I-40 LR to Memphis has to be one of the worst stretches of road in the country because of the damn trucks.  We always go 65 to Lake Village and cross over into Miss.  I will NEVER go into lousiana again after being racially profiled in that crap hole town south of the border.

I-22 going to Birmingham is great now that it goes all the way to 65.  Once it is completed the rest of the way it should come out over toward the Barber Motorsports Park or somewhere over there. But not using those roads south of there to go to the beach.

Boarcephus

Quote from: holeinthewall on June 26, 2018, 02:21:37 pm
I will NEVER go into lousiana again after being racially profiled in that crap hole town south of the border.

LOL!!!  Not sure you were racially profiled but could have been license plate profiled.  Mine was $176.50, yours??  ;) 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 26, 2018, 08:35:25 pm
LOL!!!  Not sure you were racially profiled but could have been license plate profiled.  Mine was $176.50, yours??  ;)

They even have a sign that warns drivers coming into town that says "Caution! Speed Trap Ahead!" I ride my brake all the way thru that town every time I go thru there headed to NOLA.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HogPharmer on July 07, 2018, 12:12:27 pm
They even have a sign that warns drivers coming into town that says "Caution! Speed Trap Ahead!" I ride my brake all the way thru that town every time I go thru there headed to NOLA.

You bet they do.  It's on 65 headed north in Lake Providence just before getting to the 3 way stop sign.  That's a ** little town but I've always wanted to stop at the restaurant coming into town from the north on the left side of the road advertising crawfish. 

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 07, 2018, 08:54:22 pm
You bet they do.  It's on 65 headed north in Lake Providence just before getting to the 3 way stop sign.  That's a ** little town but I've always wanted to stop at the restaurant coming into town from the north on the left side of the road advertising crawfish. 

The Dock? Very good. I stop by there to eat and load up on a cajun seasoning they sell. Drinks aren't bad either if you are traveling with a companion.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Boarcephus

Quote from: porkinsons disease on July 08, 2018, 08:47:12 am
The Dock? Very good. I stop by there to eat and load up on a cajun seasoning they sell. Drinks aren't bad either if you are traveling with a companion.

That's the name of it.  It's just not convenient for us to stop even though we drive right by it.  It's right around the half way point for us in a 12 hour trip and we just don't want to add another 45 minutes, or so, to a long day. 

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TazorTusk

Don't know about Memphis route, but if you decide to head south DO NOT GO THROUGH VICKSBURG!  You can save an hour in getting to Jackson, MS by crossing the river at Lake Village if you are willing to stay alert and pay attention to your route.

Drive South on Hwy 65 to Lake Village, AR, and go through the stop light (the road becomes Hwy 65 & 82). Follow Hwy 65 & 82 as if you are headed to Greenville, MS (But DO NOT GO TO GREENVILLE). Continue on Hwy 82. Cross the Mississippi River bridge and almost immediately take a right on MS Hwy 454.  This will dead end in MS Hwy 1.  Take a right and go a mile or two and then take a left on MS Hwy 438.  Go through Arcola and then take a right on US Hwy 61S.  Continue heading south until you come to Anguilla, MS and then take a left on MS Hwy 14.  Stay on it until it dead ends US Hwy 149S and then take a right and follow 149 into and through Yazoo City.  About a mile or two past downtown Yazoo City you will come to a big intersection.  Take a right on Hwy 49 and follow to Jackson, MS.

When you reach Jackson, take a right on I-220 and head south.  This will intersect with I-20 and you want to turn left or east on I-20.  You will skirt the south side of Jackson and then look for signs to take a right toward Hattiesburg on I-49 again. 

From Hattiesburg you will want to head to Mobile, AL, etc.

I've gotten tickets on MS Hwy 61 and 49 between Yazoo City and Jackson.  There are many areas where you will be on two-lane roads in MS, but seldom will there be much traffic.

Tazor

Boarcephus

Quote from: TazorTusk on July 09, 2018, 06:28:06 pm
You can save an hour in getting to Jackson, MS by crossing the river at Lake Village if you are willing to stay alert and pay attention to your route.

LOL!  BS.  It's within a mile or two the same distance and it's less than two hours from Lake Village to Jackson by way of Tallulah plus the last 65-70 miles from Talulah to Jackson is on I-20 where you're driving 75 mph.  The only way you'll save an hour is if you're able to get to Jackson via your route and by covering that 135 miles in an hour and we both know that's not going to happen. 

Hoot72

The last two years, I have used the Fayetteville to Memphis to Birmingham and then south to the South Walton 30A beaches, and much prefer that route.  Coming home both years, we have driven all the way home in one day -- and it is an easy drive.  Don't think that I would ever go any other way.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hoot72 on July 14, 2018, 11:03:22 am
The last two years, I have used the Fayetteville to Memphis to Birmingham and then south to the South Walton 30A beaches, and much prefer that route.  Coming home both years, we have driven all the way home in one day -- and it is an easy drive.  Don't think that I would ever go any other way.

How long is the trip take you? I know it adds quite a few miles but it should just about be all interstate.

Hoot72

It took us about 14 hours.  BUT, you have to know that we stopped twice for a sit down meal; and I have to stop more often than most people to go to the bathroom.  As I said earlier, it was just an easy drive.

McKdaddy

No mobile tunnel issues this trip down.....woohoo!
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

razorshark

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 08:14:53 am
No mobile tunnel issues this trip down.....woohoo!
What time did you go through

McKdaddy

Quote from: razorshark on July 19, 2018, 09:49:36 am
What time did you go through

4-ish. Closer to 3:50, I think. We haven't been down here since '14, preferring to go to San Diego & Cayo Espanto each year since. The years when we were coming here, it seemed like the tunnel was an annual annoyance...some years less or more so then others.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 12:13:48 pm
4-ish. Closer to 3:50, I think. We haven't been down here since '14, preferring to go to San Diego & Cayo Espanto each year since. The years when we were coming here, it seemed like the tunnel was an annual annoyance...some years less or more so then others.

are you in ft walton or destin?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

McKdaddy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 19, 2018, 12:22:41 pm
are you in ft walton or destin?

Perdido Key. We began coming here 2010 or so for something different. Kind of a quiet, little spot. Nothing wrong w/ Destin obviously, I just grew tired of it. The Indigo resort is one I'd recommend for the few that might be interested in PK.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 12:45:38 pm

Perdido Key. We began coming here 2010 or so for something different. Kind of a quiet, little spot. Nothing wrong w/ Destin obviously, I just grew tired of it. The Indigo resort is one I'd recommend for the few that might be interested in PK.

I was just curious.  We skipped the beach this year.  That entire place down there is getting ridiculous as far as traffic. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

McKdaddy

I realize now I'm posting in a FW thread — my mistake guys.

McKdaddy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 19, 2018, 12:48:40 pm
I was just curious.  We skipped the beach this year.  That entire place down there is getting ridiculous as far as traffic. 

True. I think that might have aided in my push to try elsewhere.

razorshark

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 12:45:38 pm

Perdido key is the best kept secret, the tunnel is pretty good at 3 or 4.  We use to go thru at 8am.  Been going since 1998.  Go to sunset grill.

McKdaddy

Quote from: razorshark on July 19, 2018, 04:17:23 pm
Perdido key is the best kept secret, the tunnel is pretty good at 3 or 4.  We use to go thru at 8am.  Been going since 1998.  Go to sunset grill.

Sunset, Cosmo's, LA Lagniappe & Fisherman's Corner are ones we don't miss.

HawgWild

We're trying St. George Island for the first time this Fall. A little further East and hoping to avoid crowds.

razorshark

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 04:37:33 pm
Sunset, Cosmo's, LA Lagniappe & Fisherman's Corner are ones we don't miss.
All good, we are now going in October, no crowds more beach

McKdaddy

Quote from: razorshark on July 19, 2018, 07:17:33 pm

+1  Before kids and before kids were school age we did the same. Now we take a husband/wife trip each fall to go somewhere the kids aren't interested in or somewhere they aren't welcomed by us.

Boarcephus

Quote from: razorshark on July 19, 2018, 07:17:33 pm

Generally that's the case but we hit something called a fall break 3-4 years ago and it was crowded.  Unfortunately is just getting more and more crowded down there. 

Something we're thinking hard about doing is going down in January and renting a condo for a month.  The rates are fantastic and they have a little more leeway on pets. 

razorshark

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 19, 2018, 07:51:07 pm
+1  Before kids and before kids were school age we did the same. Now we take a husband/wife trip each fall to go somewhere the kids aren't interested in or somewhere they aren't welcomed by us.
Good move

razorshark

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2018, 06:56:46 am
Generally that's the case but we hit something called a fall break 3-4 years ago and it was crowded.  Unfortunately is just getting more and more crowded down there. 

Something we're thinking hard about doing is going down in January and renting a condo for a month.  The rates are fantastic and they have a little more leeway on pets. 
We are also thinking after Christmas.  We want to do Christmas day but have a 93 year old mil so thats out for now

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2018, 06:56:46 am

Yes, the parents state the Indigo rents for a month in the off-season for what it costs me a week in-season.