Monday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, May 11, 2015, 10:48:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: prattville pig on May 11, 2015, 11:35:31 am
Chris Daniels, uh?

They say he is the Charlie Daniels of the bull rush.

And apparently a master of blue steel.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PaintballHog

This Chris Daniels thing makes no sense.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 11, 2015, 12:03:59 pm
This Chris Daniels thing makes no sense.
That happens when you think you have all the info, but really don't.

All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawgzinbowlz

Nice list and nice measurables.   
Glad that Chris Daniels has deep connections to Arkansas.
Good to hear that Georgia linebacker Tre Lamar has developed a good relationship with defensive line coach Rory Segrest.
Offensive line coach Sam Pittman is such a good recruiter he's in on safety Brandon Jones this week.
After some time with Coach Herbert T.J. should develop very nicely.

" WOO PIG "

PaintballHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 11, 2015, 01:55:53 pm
That happens when you think you have all the info, but really don't.

We know he's higher rated and has better offer list than the two DT's we have currently.

We know he's from Arkansas, loves Arkansas, likes the Razorbacks, and has publicly said he wanted an offer from us.

We know Arkansas showed minimal interest before (which is fine, maybe they think he wouldn't be a good fit for whatever reason), but now we are. After other schools have been recruiting him and setting up relationships. Delaying showing interest will only hurt us. If we didn't want him, we should have made that clear, but now we have to play catch up.

Again, it makes no sense.

Positive Pete

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 11, 2015, 04:49:59 pm
We know he's higher rated and has better offer list than the two DT's we have currently.

We know he's from Arkansas, loves Arkansas, likes the Razorbacks, and has publicly said he wanted an offer from us.

We know Arkansas showed minimal interest before (which is fine, maybe they think he wouldn't be a good fit for whatever reason), but now we are. After other schools have been recruiting him and setting up relationships. Delaying showing interest will only hurt us. If we didn't want him, we should have made that clear, but now we have to play catch up.

pccmizuno24

The coaches wanted to see how Daniels was doing academically this past semester before pushing ahead! everything looks good  now

redeye

I haven't followed recruiting closely this year, but we don't actually know all those things.  We don't know where Daniels will end up rated and can only compare his rating to our other DT's final rating.  Even so, he's still currently rated lower then Bijhon Jackson and we don't know whether any of those ratings are deserved.

What we do know is that our staff works hard and has had good success evaluating/rating/signing talent, so I'm willing to trust them until I have reason to do otherwise.  When this situation has risen in the past, there were times when we eventually understood, and times we didn't, but all indications have been that this staff knows what it's doing.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on May 11, 2015, 07:27:34 pm
The coaches wanted to see how Daniels was doing academically this past semester before pushing ahead! everything looks good  now

This sounds logical.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on May 11, 2015, 10:56:39 pm
This sounds logical.

It is far more logical than the "sky is falling" comedy from Paintballhog. Work with known facts, not speculation.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

NLRHog92

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 11, 2015, 11:31:01 pm
It is far more logical than the "sky is falling" comedy from Paintballhog. Work with known facts, not speculation.

What are these fact things you speak of? Not sure if I've come across those before on Hogville.

Choctaw Hog

Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean it makes no sense to the people who actually know what's going on. That's why you are speculating on a public message board instead of making millions of dollars actually coaching. 

When you become the head football coach just remember to make public your every thought and action on every recruit because uninformed fans are easily confused. 

DCimport

We didn't offer Ty Storey until June 14th.  Coach has his protocol and sticks to it.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 11, 2015, 11:31:01 pm

If my post comedy to you, you're more than welcome to respond to it to refute it. Nothing I said was false, and I'm not the only one who has asked about Daniels.

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on May 11, 2015, 07:27:34 pm

Do you have a link? I haven't read anything on that, and it didn't seem to stop OSU, Mich, OU...

Quote from: redeye on May 11, 2015, 09:58:53 pm
I haven't followed recruiting closely this year, but we don't actually know all those things.  We don't know where Daniels will end up rated and can only compare his rating to our other DT's final rating.  Even so, he's still currently rated lower then Bijhon Jackson and we don't know whether any of those ratings are deserved.

What we do know is that our staff works hard and has had good success evaluating/rating/signing talent, so I'm willing to trust them until I have reason to do otherwise.  When this situation has risen in the past, there were times when we eventually understood, and times we didn't, but all indications have been that this staff knows what it's doing.

As I said, if we didn't think he was a good fit, then that's cool. Coach B should get guys he wants, but it seems like we're flip flopping our position with him, and we would be in alot better shape if we went after him in the beginning

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 12, 2015, 07:02:10 am
Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean it makes no sense to the people who actually know what's going on. That's why you are speculating on a public message board instead of making millions of dollars actually coaching. 

When you become the head football coach just remember to make public your every thought and action on every recruit because uninformed fans are easily confused.

Maybe you're right. Why even have a message board then? Or at least make the rules that you must only cheer on every move the staff makes. Discussion? Pleaseee none of us are coaches, there's no reason to discuss anything!

lefty08

Why do the ones making the biggest leaps and reaches the ones who complain about being sensored?

This message board works both ways, if you don't want feedback, don't make outlandish statement based on zero facts.

This is a message board afterall
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Choctaw Hog

Message boards were originally developed to post messages, i.e. information about the subject of the message board, not to question every damn decision the coaches make, post uninformed opinions, or to be a public bitch forum for those who have ulterior motives.

Otherwise, message boards would have been called opinion boards.

PaintballHog

Quote from: lefty08 on May 12, 2015, 09:14:09 am
Why do the ones making the biggest leaps and reaches the ones who complain about being sensored?

This message board works both ways, if you don't want feedback, don't make outlandish statement based on zero facts.

Feedback is one thing, but when nobody is able to engage in a discussion, and just attack the messenger. It benefits nobody. If you have a response to the content of my post, then lets hear it.

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 12, 2015, 09:18:57 am
Message boards were originally developed to post messages, i.e. information about the subject of the message board, not to question every damn decision the coaches make, post uninformed opinions, or to be a public bitch forum for those who have ulterior motives.

Otherwise, message boards would have been called opinion boards.

Message boards are for discussions, or there wouldn't be functions to respond to topics. If you want just information, then I suggest sites like wholehogsports. If you wish to actually discuss my posts instead of childish insults, then go ahead.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: lefty08 on May 12, 2015, 09:14:09 am

But it's alright to make outlandish statements as long as it supports the current coaching staff even if it insults the player...right?  Which, ever time a situation comes up the tried and true response is "academics".  How many times do you believe that is actually true?  And no it didn't just start happening with the current staff it's the way the main people on message boards have decided to steer conversation about such subjects.  Throwing the player under the bus is the only accepted response.

For the person that susgested it was acedemics and the people who agreed so readily, were is you proof?  Do you have a link or a tweet from CBB?

PaintballHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 12, 2015, 10:23:58 am
But it's alright to make outlandish statements as long as it supports the current coaching staff even if it insults the player...right?  Which, ever time a situation comes up the tried and true response is "academics".  How many times do you believe that is actually true?  And no it didn't just start happening with the current staff it's the way the main people on message boards have decided to steer conversation about such subjects.  Throwing the player under the bus is the only accepted response.

For the person that susgested it was acedemics and the people who agreed so readily, were is you proof?  Do you have a link or a tweet from CBB?

This.

Don't know why people get upset over someone with a difference of opinions, hell I was just asking questions. Anyone who isn't emotional and is unbiased can see this Chris Daniels situation is odd.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 10:43:03 am
This.

Don't know why people get upset over someone with a difference of opinions, hell I was just asking questions. Anyone who isn't emotional and is unbiased can see this Chris Daniels situation is odd.

I mean, it's just not that odd.  There are any number of reasons that they were not showing interest until recently.  Unless someone has inside info, it's just pointless speculation.  When you take that pointless speculation and use it to suggest the coaches made mistakes or screwed up, you'll get a certain amount of pushback.  When you take the negative around here, expect pushback. 

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 12, 2015, 10:23:58 am

Coaches can't comment on recruits, you know that. I have no idea about the recruitment of the young man, just like the other 200+ we will offer this year.

PaintballHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 12, 2015, 10:51:04 am
I mean, it's just not that odd.  There are any number of reasons that they were not showing interest until recently.  Unless someone has inside info, it's just pointless speculation.  When you take that pointless speculation and use it to suggest the coaches made mistakes or screwed up, you'll get a certain amount of pushback.  When you take the negative around here, expect pushback.

I get that. I just figured posters were mature enough to pushback on the content of my post instead of acting childish. When the Chris Daniels thread was first started, it seemed odd and I just figured the coaches didn't think he would be a fit. Completely fine. But to get in late on a kid who asked for an offer on twitter earlier, should raise eyebrows. Grades is a possibility, but the defending national champions didn't seemed worried about it.

ricepig

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 11:05:19 am
I get that. I just figured posters were mature enough to pushback on the content of my post instead of acting childish. When the Chris Daniels thread was first started, it seemed odd and I just figured the coaches didn't think he would be a fit. Completely fine. But to get in late on a kid who asked for an offer on twitter earlier, should raise eyebrows. Grades is a possibility, but the defending national champions didn't seemed worried about it.

So, we should give an offer to all that request one from Twitter? Our staff has a process, whether you or I like it, that they use. I've seen where we've offered guys late after every other SEC has, and then, seen us be the first for a guy and the rest offer him.

Deep Shoat

The defending national champions have Urban Meyer, a coach known to ignore rules.  The Big 10 also has different qualifying standards than the SEC.

Basically, the answer is this: you have no idea why they waited, so you assume some big, dumb conspiracy of coaching incompetence.  The rest of us also have no idea why they waited, so we assume something that makes sense, like grades or character or we liked someone else more.
All Gas, No Brakes!

PorkRinds

I think it most likely that they didn't have him high on their board for a good while, and now for whatever reason his stock has risen with them.  There can be all the pointless speculation in the world, but the reality is there is no telling. 

Cinco de Hogo

That another can of worms, Urban Meyer completely screwed up a great Florida program by not caring about acedemics and charcter.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2015, 10:59:37 am
Coaches can't comment on recruits, you know that. I have no idea about the recruitment of the young man, just like the other 200+ we will offer this year.

Exactly, so why make a comment about academics.  Some perspective recruits might be offended by that.  They are the kids in this senario while the coaches are adults and should be able to handle MB chatter.

jjdlc

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 10:43:03 am
This.

The only thing that has seemed odd about the situation to me was the "mixup" with his visit a while back, and who knows what the real story on that was.  This staff doesn't hand out offers till they are good and ready, and I'm ok with that.  I don't see where that makes me emotional or biased.

PaintballHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2015, 11:09:23 am
So, we should give an offer to all that request one from Twitter? Our staff has a process, whether you or I like it, that they use. I've seen where we've offered guys late after every other SEC has, and then, seen us be the first for a guy and the rest offer him.

One of the top prospects who has ties to Arkansas? Yeah I think we should've offered.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Offers

Here's all our offers. We shot out a bunch of offers to alot of the top recruits that we're not even engaging. One that has multiple ties to Arkansas? Don't see he wouldn't get one.

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 12, 2015, 11:10:05 am
The defending national champions have Urban Meyer, a coach known to ignore rules.  The Big 10 also has different qualifying standards than the SEC.

Basically, the answer is this: you have no idea why they waited, so you assume some big, dumb conspiracy of coaching incompetence.  The rest of us also have no idea why they waited, so we assume something that makes sense, like grades or character or we liked someone else more.

Where have I assumed a conspiracy? Didn't know asking questions assumed anything.

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 12, 2015, 11:10:15 am
I think it most likely that they didn't have him high on their board for a good while, and now for whatever reason his stock has risen with them.  There can be all the pointless speculation in the world, but the reality is there is no telling.

That's apart of message boards. It's for users to discuss topics. I made points and posed a question, others can respond and have discussions. Most of these sections are opinions and discussions. Offseason is full of speculation.

ricepig

Quote from: jjdlc on May 12, 2015, 11:18:16 am
The only thing that has seemed odd about the situation to me was the "mixup" with his visit a while back, and who knows what the real story on that was.  This staff doesn't hand out offers till they are good and ready, and I'm ok with that.  I don't see where that makes me emotional or biased.

I think they "kind of" thought they would get Capps commitment that weekend and didn't want another top DT there at the same time, but I'm just spit balling.....

PaintballHog

Quote from: jjdlc on May 12, 2015, 11:18:16 am

I misspoke about the emotional and biased comment. That was toward the trolls. If you don't find it odd, i respect your opinion, but disagree. This kid is basically an instate kid, who would the second highest prospect in the state. I can understand not offering, but we basically ignored him.

PaintballHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2015, 11:24:49 am
I think they "kind of" thought they would get Capps commitment that weekend and didn't want another top DT there at the same time, but I'm just spit balling.....

This would make sense, but wouldn't they try to get him back for the spring game or anytime soon?

Wildhog

The fact is that we don't have all the necessary information to judge anyone on this situation.  It's a strange deal, but we just don't have enough information.  There's no telling what could be going on. 

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jjdlc

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 11:25:32 am
I misspoke about the emotional and biased comment. That was toward the trolls. If you don't find it odd, i respect your opinion, but disagree. This kid is basically an instate kid, who would the second highest prospect in the state. I can understand not offering, but we basically ignored him.

As has been pointed out earlier, we didn't offer Ty Storey till June of last year either.  The thing about in state kids, or in this case, kids with deep ties to the state.  The in state team has to be absolutely sure they want the kid before offering.   It can be much more damaging to pull an offer from an in state kid than an out of state one.  Arkansas isn't the only school to follow that policy either.  Sometimes it backfires, sometimes it don't, most of the good kids are willing to wait on that offer they want. 

There are other schools, that throw out offers like confetti, then see what sticks, a lot of the time they don't even bother to see if there are possible issues with the kids they are offering.  I'm definitely not a fan of that recruiting style.

jjdlc

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 11:26:28 am
This would make sense, but wouldn't they try to get him back for the spring game or anytime soon?

From what I gathered, they did try to get him to come to the spring game, but he had other plans. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: jjdlc on May 12, 2015, 11:34:05 am
As has been pointed out earlier, we didn't offer Ty Storey till June of last year either.  The thing about in state kids, or in this case, kids with deep ties to the state.  The in state team has to be absolutely sure they want the kid before offering.   It can be much more damaging to pull an offer from an in state kid than an out of state one.  Arkansas isn't the only school to follow that policy either.  Sometimes it backfires, sometimes it don't, most of the good kids are willing to wait on that offer they want. 

There are other schools, that throw out offers like confetti, then see what sticks, a lot of the time they don't even bother to see if there are possible issues with the kids they are offering.  I'm definitely not a fan of that recruiting style.

I was going to point this out as well.  Our staff is careful when offering in state kids.  And it's probably a good thing.

Vantage 8 dude

Going forward I'm definitely going to try refraining from questioning why the staff may/may not offer a kid and even when we may end up offering (if we do). Call me naive but I'm going to assume the staff is very well aware of the vast majority of kids that they not only want but also have a legitimate interest in the Hogs. I'm also going to have enough faith in the staff that they're also very aware of their likely needs not only this coming year, but the future as well. In other words, while I may have the right to question why and when a recruit is or isn't offered, I'm going to try an keep from cluttering up the message board any and every time something doesn't go the way I see fit. Just seems to relieve the stress that way.

pccmizuno24

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 07:53:40 am
If my post comedy to you, you're more than welcome to respond to it to refute it. Nothing I said was false, and I'm not the only one who has asked about Daniels.

Do you have a link? I haven't read anything on that, and it didn't seem to stop OSU, Mich, OU...

I know his dad

Vantage 8 dude

May 12, 2015, 04:51:13 pm #41 Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:02:12 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: PaintballHog on May 12, 2015, 07:53:40 am

As I said, if we didn't think he was a good fit, then that's cool. Coach B should get guys he wants, but it seems like we're flip flopping our position with him, and we would be in alot better shape if we went after him in the beginning

Maybe you're right. Why even have a message board then? Or at least make the rules that you must only cheer on every move the staff makes. Discussion? Pleaseee none of us are coaches, there's no reason to discuss anything!
So just because other programs might have already offered we automatically have to or even be the first to do so? I have NO knowledge of this young man or of his academics, playing ability or whatever. I have no "axe to grind" or "dog in this hunt". All I know is the staff elected to play it cautiously with the young man. Why that is I have not a clue. And unless you personally have some knowledge as to the thinking/rationale behind the Hill's slow(er) approach to Daniel perhaps you should just follow the approach expressed in your own comment that "Coach B should get the guys he wants". In any event getting worked up about it, whether you know the kid or not, isn't going to change the situation one bit. Besides, at this rate you're liable to blow a gasket!