Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20 Turnovers, Outrebounded by 9, Committed 7 More Fouls

Started by Breems, February 27, 2014, 09:03:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pigonometry on February 27, 2014, 09:23:59 pm
Yep.  I still can't get my mind around that.
Not having much to cheer about since to 2008 can do that to you...It is time for some to recondition their thinking.  You can see that through out some of the comments right now this forum. Its kinda like the Stockholm syndrome...

We when a big game and rather that accept it for what it is some want come with some lame reason for it. Just enjoy the win folks.

It is OKAY TO CHEER ON YOUR TEAM NOW!!!!! WPS!!!!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

latrops

Quote from: poloprince on February 27, 2014, 09:33:32 pm
Mike said the defense was playing at a high level.

Best I've seen the defense play all year...heck, probably in several years.  That first half was fantastic defensively, even without a ton of turnovers.  All game they contested shots.  UK stayed in it with offensive rebounds and putbacks (often dunks).

HamIAm

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 27, 2014, 09:16:02 pm
We did get lucky they were terrible at the line tonight. The if's and's or but's are what sports are about. They didnt execute when they needed to.

We didnt let Randle go absolutely nuts in the lane drawing fouls. I believe Kentucky had more borderline calls tonight go their way but we had a few as well. Tonight wasn't as frustrating as most road SEC games.

They were terrible at the line because they were worn out.  They didn't start missing free throws until midway through the second half.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 311Hog on February 27, 2014, 09:33:19 pm
Hasn't that been the MO of Cal's teams since i dunno forever? it really seems to me that they are so physically gifted that it is basically a dunk or nothing and when they aren't just dunking it not much other "shooting" skill.  Young was off tonight even with that one big 3 he has been the best perimeter player of theirs.
Cal's teams have beaten a Mike Anderson coached team one time out of 5 chances....Mike owns Calipari...try that on for size....oh, so you won't get your jimmies rustled, one of those wins was when Mike, while coaching at Mizzou, beat the pants off of Calipari's Memphis team....this isn't luck folks, its becoming a trend
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 27, 2014, 09:37:37 pm
Cal's teams have beaten a Mike Anderson coached team one time out of 5 chances....Mike owns Calipari...try that on for size....oh, so you won't get your jimmies rustled, one of those wins was when Mike, while coaching at Mizzou, beat the pants off of Calipari's Memphis team....this isn't luck folks, its becoming a trend

It's the guards and how Cal uses them. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

g.lynn

The difference was shooting %'s!  Look at the Box Score.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

311Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 27, 2014, 09:37:37 pm

yeah i saw that stat on the Cats board.  really it makes a sort of sense.  fight hard in the lane D because they wont shoot many 3's if they dunk well make them earn it.  And since Cal typicaly has a short bench Anderson can test their conditioning and make a borderline poor FT shooting team bad.

hogsanity

Cant keep winning giving up 20+ offensive rebounds though.  Not every team is going to go 10-21 on ft's or shoot 34%.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Breems

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2014, 11:16:28 pm
Cant keep winning giving up 20+ offensive rebounds though.  Not every team is going to go 10-21 on ft's or shoot 34%.   

UK is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. They do that to everyone.

And they will shoot 34% if we make them.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rzrbackramsfan

There were a few possessions where Kentucky went miss, offensive rebound, miss, offensive rebound, miss maybe we get it or they do.  As Breems said, they get offensive rebound.  Offensive rebounding is very important, but it's not the key to winning.. just a part of a basketball game. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Awesome win tonight, we get some of the missing pieces for this team and we can go very far

Oklahawg

KY fans have to be wondering about the officiating. UA appeared to walk several times but without a call. Probably matches the body shots UA took after some shots (in the paint on blocks as well as a few jumpers outside) without a call.

Lots of composure (although Bell was a surprise in the lineup down the stretch...several yips) and the obvious belief they were going to win.

KY is a good match-up for UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

moses_007

I don't know if you guys noticed, but neither of the Harrison brothers were factors in tonight's game.  The Hogs flat shut them down.

nextlevel

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on February 27, 2014, 11:21:12 pm
There were a few possessions where Kentucky went miss, offensive rebound, miss, offensive rebound, miss maybe we get it or they do.  As Breems said, they get offensive rebound.  Offensive rebounding is very important, but it's not the key to winning.. just a part of a basketball game. 

At one point Kentucky had like 20 OFF boards and 8 second chance points, while Arkansas had 6 OFF boards and 4 second chance points.

Kentucky showed the stats of a poor shooting team both times we played them, the first meeting Arkansas outscored them on second chances.

Why people think its important to accumulate the stats of a poor shooting team I'll never understand, give me a good shooting team and you can win while being -15 on OFF boards...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 27, 2014, 11:32:48 pm
KY fans have to be wondering about the officiating. UA appeared to walk several times but without a call. Probably matches the body shots UA took after some shots (in the paint on blocks as well as a few jumpers outside) without a call.

Lots of composure (although Bell was a surprise in the lineup down the stretch...several yips) and the obvious belief they were going to win.

KY can complain about the refs all they want, but Arkansas had 2 FTs in the second half off a 1 and 1 opportunity while Kentucky came from behind in the FT margin in the first half to double Arkansas up from FTAs...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Rbill

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 27, 2014, 09:07:11 pm
26 offensive rebounds by Kentucky.  That has to be a record.  They erased 26 missed shots and we still won.

Yeah the statistic that really matters is how many points they get off of those extra possessions. I remember quite a few trips where they got the offensive board but just missed again.

hambone

I like how someone said this was our biggest win in 6 years. LOL

Sorry but beating a ranked Kentucky team at Rupp with a NCAA berth on the line is bigger than anything that has happened since we fired Nolan.

Congrats Hogs, you earned it tonight.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 27, 2014, 11:32:48 pm

KY also walked more than once.  The refs were pretty good at the beginning of the 1st half, but then they were really bad.  Fortunately, the were consistently bad for both sides, so it evened out.  However, if they would have called a foul on the last drive KY had at the end of regulation, that one call could have ruined our season.  Fortunately, they got the most important call of the night right, which was ironically a "no call", which is exactly text book the right call(or no call).

And I have no idea what they kept reviewing on the monitor tonight, that has really become a waste of time in college basketball.

I think our guys grew up a ton tonight and will be dangerous in the tournament.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Atlhogfan1

UK 19-11 in second chance points

Ark 21-17 pts off turnovers

UK +4 in this exchange.  How many times did they get to the line off of an O Reb?

Also, a lack of OReb limits how we can dictate pace.  UK could control the game and keep it in the 60's.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Rbill on February 27, 2014, 11:40:23 pm
Yeah the statistic that really matters is how many points they get off of those extra possessions. I remember quite a few trips where they got the offensive board but just missed again.

Our blocked shots were in their heads.  sUK rushed their second chances some and it lead to misses. Cal mentioned the missed one footers several times post game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

TXArcher

Nice win, should carry weight in NCAA tourny selection pending the SEC tourny.

Nosboar Accubond

People do realize that bad shooting % and offensive boards are correlated? Guys complaining about the offensive boards saying the other teams won't always shoot bad do realize that if hey shoot better offensive boards go down?

With the boards UK had tonight it is the same as shooting 45%. We still beat them by forcing bad shots and hitting our FTs.

We beat them fair and square. No luck. No fluke. Stop trying to marginalize this win. There are many ways to win a game and we found one tonight.

Great game Hogs WPS!

The_Iceman

When you dont start anyone under 6'5" and your big men go 6'9", 7'0" with near 40 inch verticals, you are going to outrebounded a lot of teams.

acey33

FT are definitely the difference in the game and we'll take any win we can get wherever we can get it (Especially Rupp Area) Good job Hogs...WPS

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Ilikthiskindaparty

I liked Kikko being put in the game at the end.You could tell that he wanted the ball and he wanted to be shooting freethrows.
I'm going to be here all day.

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

WorfHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 27, 2014, 09:31:42 pm
every team has an achilles heel...maybe UK just can't get it done on the line under pressure....after all most are freshmen...you live by the one and done's and you die by the one and done's

A walk-on senior put the game away, almost poetic.

AWHAWG

Quote from: TexHog188 on February 27, 2014, 09:06:38 pm
This covers up a bunch of mistakes.
a missed free throw is a mistake. So does a made shot cover up a missed freethrow? It's all a part of the game.

The real Hogules

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 27, 2014, 09:21:22 pm
Let me clarify that. We deserved the win we wanted it and played better. I was just saying they were bad on the line tonight. Sometimes people shoot bad and they really did tonight. Doesn't take anything away from our guys. Teams shoot bad whenever their guarded well.

And let me clarify your clarification, UK was terrible from the line "in the 2nd half", when their legs were tired.

UK shot FT's alright in the first half, but to keep close enough to our Hogs to make a move Calapari's kids rarely came out of the game (Randle played 40 minutes and the Harrison twins played 39 & 38 minutes each).

That's the best defense that our team has played the entire season and it still had huge lanes for UK players to attempt a drive to the basket.

Bottom line - We just wanted it more!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

LRrazorback

Didn't read through entire thread but SIAP

Most impressive stat of the night KY-76 FGA, AR-58 FGA. 18 more shots and we still won. Very good D

Atlhogfan1

UK vs LSU
Randle 37 minutes 2-2 from the FT line
Young 41 minutes 5-9
Aaron H 43 minutes 7-7
Andrew H 39 minutes 3-4

17-22

UK vs Ole Miss
Randle 29 minutes 13-14
Young 35 minutes 2-2
Aaron H 36 minutes 4-4
Andrew H 34 minutes 4-4

23-24

vs. Ark
Randle 40 minutes 2-5
Young 29 minutes 2-4
Aaron H 38 minutes 2-2
Andrew H 39 minutes 4-7

10-18