Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After watching tonight's game, there's gonna be plenty of bumps...

Started by swinesation, November 21, 2012, 01:53:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I'm sorry, but I wasn't that impressed tonight -- with anybody. Hopefully I'll be more impressed after the next few games. Maybe they were looking ahead?!? But the defense didn't look that stout, the offense was clumsy. Man, I hope it was just an off night, looking ahead. Even B.J. didn't look too hot to me tonight.

tha_shephard

in b4 breems, SWD, 311Hog, kingofdequeen, rude1, ween, and dsims2k3.

mmhogs17

I've never seen so many layups and short jumpers go in and out. If half of those go down, we score 105 points.

You weren't impressed with Powell? 8-14, 21 pts, 10 rebs doesn't impress you? You have very high standards.

mmhogs17

The_Iceman

micali

It looked like to me they were having a scrimmage.  No one seemed focused.  It was like they new they were going to win and didn't care.
Those in and outs made me scream!  If we can't make those under the hoop put backs, slam the darn thing and draw a foul. Be aggressive.

Dogtown Donkey

We were definitely looking ahead.

But not every game against a crappy opponent is going to be impressive. This is still a young team. Gotta take it game-by-game.

I mean, we did win by 29 points. For as bad as we looked, we won by 29.

luke hawg

I was real impressed with Madden, B.J Young and Powell. Madden looked great running the point. Coty Clarke fits great into our system and is very capable of starting the break. The freshman played like freshman. The most disappointing player on the floor by far was Hunter Mickelson. He was pretty awful all night. We need him to step up in a big way. We are a year away but there has been definite improvement.

SWD26

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 21, 2012, 07:45:08 am
We were definitely looking ahead.

But not every game against a crappy opponent is going to be impressive. This is still a young team. Gotta take it game-by-game.

I mean, we did win by 29 points. For as bad as we looked, we won by 29.

I agree with this, it's hard for the players to stay focused the whole time when they out-class their opponent so badly. I was really impressed with Powell though, we need his inside presence if we're gonna go very far.

Speedracer

Hard to judge in games like this.  I really think they got bored in this game.  I'm going to save my judgement for after they play some better teams.
Like smites bother me.

jry04

This is hilarious. The OP said he wasn't impressed with anyone and we will have a lot of bumps this season after a 29 point win in a game that we were ahead by 20+ for probably 20 of the last 25 minutes. They had a 5 minute run where they pulled to within 11, but 3 turnovers later we are back up by 20.

Where to begin...

You weren't impressed with Madden, Scott, Clarke, or Powell?

Powell had 21 points, 10 rebounds in 22 minutes of play. That is as quality as it gets.

Scott had 13 points, 6 reb, 2 steals, 1 assist in 19 minutes off the bench. He had a couple tipped passes as well. The last two games, Scott has been a spark off the bench. He can be a leader on the floor for that second wave of substitutions that consists of mostly freshmen. He has attacked the rim the last two games well. As long as he doesn't settle for taking jumpshots, he will be a solid player for us.

Madden had a quiet, but efficient game. He played the role he needs to play. 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block and 0 turnovers in 19 minutes. He was 3 for 3 from the field.

Clarke wasn't that great shooting last night, but he had 10 points 7 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists in 22 minutes off the bench. He had 0 turnovers coming off a game where he had trouble with turnovers. He was 6 for 7 from the FT line. The biggest thing he did that most don't pay attention to is his rebounding position. He drew 3 or 4 fouls last night just by blocking out and forcing the other guy to go over his back. Bell, BJ, and Mickelson weren't as impressive as they have been. Wade finally started hitting his shot. He was 3 for 3 from three.

As for the defense, what game were you watching? We held them to 60 points despite them having 21 points in 3s. We held them to 31% shooting from the field. We forced 22 turnovers. We had 10 steals and 8 blocks. All of this while playing 11 players 10 or more minutes.

It wasn't as dominating as it could have been, but we won by 29 points, and it wasn't even close.

dsims2k3

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 21, 2012, 08:21:53 am
This is hilarious. The OP said he wasn't impressed with anyone and we will have a lot of bumps this season after a 29 point win in a game that we were ahead by 20+ for probably 20 of the last 25 minutes. They had a 5 minute run where they pulled to within 11, but 3 turnovers later we are back up by 20.

Where to begin...

Powell had 21 points, 10 rebounds in 22 minutes of play. That is as quality as it gets.

Scott had 13 points, 6 reb, 2 steals, 1 assist in 19 minutes off the bench. He had a couple tipped passes as well. The last two games, Scott has been a spark off the bench. He can be a leader on the floor for that second wave of substitutions that consists of mostly freshmen. He has attacked the rim the last two games well. As long as he doesn't settle for taking jumpshots, he will be a solid player for us.

Madden had a quiet, but efficient game. He played the role he needs to play. 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block and 0 turnovers in 19 minutes. He was 3 for 3 from the field.

Clarke wasn't that great shooting last night, but he had 10 points 7 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists in 22 minutes off the bench. He had 0 turnovers coming off a game where he had trouble with turnovers. He was 6 for 7 from the FT line. The biggest thing he did that most don't pay attention to is his rebounding position. He drew 3 or 4 fouls last night just by blocking out and forcing the other guy to go over his back. Bell, BJ, and Mickelson weren't as impressive as they have been. Wade finally started hitting his shot. He was 3 for 3 from three.

As for the defense, what game were you watching? We held them to 60 points despite them having 21 points in 3s. We held them to 31% shooting from the field. We forced 22 turnovers. We had 10 steals and 8 blocks. All of this while playing 11 players 10 or more minutes.

It wasn't as dominating as it could have been, but we won by 29 points, and it wasn't even close.

This is a great analysis.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The_Iceman

HF#1

If that game was a disappointment, I can't wait until we play a good game. 

Powell - Old self again
Clarke - Thank God for him
Madden - So much improved in every way
Scott - Nice production
Mickelson - Looks smoother and smoother all the time. 

I can't wait until we play the big boys.  Michigan and Syracuse will be fun games to watch.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorpimp

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 21, 2012, 08:21:53 am

Where to begin...

but..but...but...that's not what I saw from watching one game on television :D

Why do some of you make analysis without watching all of the games?  I guess everyone is an analyst from their couch.

I have been to all three games and they are getting better.....

azhog10

Quote from: swinesation on November 21, 2012, 01:53:43 am
I'm sorry, but I wasn't that impressed tonight -- with anybody. Hopefully I'll be more impressed after the next few games. Maybe they were looking ahead?!? But the defense didn't look that stout, the offense was clumsy. Man, I hope it was just an off night, looking ahead. Even B.J. didn't look too hot to me tonight.
Absolutely disagree. So many people look at the score and point total. We did a lot of good things, but we still have some things to work on. I thought this was a HUGE test for us with the little guard FAMU had and Jahii Carson for ASU. Carson will be much better and his supporting cast will be a lot better as well. But i thought it was a good test for our guards to get used to the quickness that a guard like that has. Powell is going to be HUGE for us this year and when BJ gets back in rythm this team is gonna be really good. Also we have to continue to get Wade open looks. I really think against ASU we will see that. Also I thought Rickey Scott looked a lot better last night. He was driving to the basket with a purpose and saw the free throw line a lot! That's what he's going to have to do.

pigture perfect

Basketball is such a fickle game. Sometimes the shots are falling and you win by offense. Sometimes they are falling for both teams and you lose. Big thing is we won. We held them to 31% shooting according to rsvl hogfan4. That is pretty good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

azhog10

Quote from: HogFan#1 on November 21, 2012, 09:05:49 am
If that game was a disappointment, I can't wait until we play a good game. 

Powell - Old self again
Clarke - Thank God for him
Madden - So much improved in every way
Scott - Nice production
Mickelson - Looks smoother and smoother all the time. 

I can't wait until we play the big boys.  Michigan and Syracuse will be fun games to watch.
Coudln't agree more. I also want to add that even though Mickelson didn't finish a lot of his looks, he was getting nice easy looks around the rim. Those are going to fall on a normal basis. Also even though our freshmen didn't have the big game like they had Sunday night. I still think it's huge for our starters that we have a group that can go in for about 4 or 5 minutes and keep the game where it was when the starters went out. If our bench can do that, we will win a lot of games. I think against Kentucky our bench might actually be able to improve. That being said if you look at ASU and how they played FAMU. Their starters played 30+ minutes. Our's played around 20. So they don't have much of a bench and their starters played a lot more than ours. I think that's going to be key to that game on Friday.

Dogtown Donkey

If Rickey Scott would just start hitting FTs at a better clip, we could have our 6th man for the year. He had a pretty bad first game, but he's been great off the bench since. He has to fix that FT shooting, though. No way a guard should shoot under 70% from the stripe.

azhog10

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 21, 2012, 09:17:52 am
If Rickey Scott would just start hitting FTs at a better clip, we could have our 6th man for the year. He had a pretty bad first game, but he's been great off the bench since. He has to fix that FT shooting, though. No way a guard should shoot under 70% from the stripe.
He needs to get to where he can shoot about 75% from the FT line. Otherwise his energy and ability to drive and get fouled becomes more of a liability.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: azhog10 on November 21, 2012, 09:19:34 am
He needs to get to where he can shoot about 75% from the FT line. Otherwise his energy and ability to drive and get fouled becomes more of a liability.

Absolutely.

And one thing I've noticed so far this season is that he's not throwing up a bunch of mess when he gets to the rim like he did last year. He's letting the defender foul him if he doesn't have a good look at the basket. If he adds the ability to consistently hit his FTs, he could average 10-13 points per game off the bench easy.

HF#1

Quote from: azhog10 on November 21, 2012, 09:16:58 am
Coudln't agree more. I also want to add that even though Mickelson didn't finish a lot of his looks, he was getting nice easy looks around the rim. Those are going to fall on a normal basis. Also even though our freshmen didn't have the big game like they had Sunday night. I still think it's huge for our starters that we have a group that can go in for about 4 or 5 minutes and keep the game where it was when the starters went out. If our bench can do that, we will win a lot of games. I think against Kentucky our bench might actually be able to improve. That being said if you look at ASU and how they played FAMU. Their starters played 30+ minutes. Our's played around 20. So they don't have much of a bench and their starters played a lot more than ours. I think that's going to be key to that game on Friday.

Yeah, I facepalmed when he missed that 2 footer in front of the rim.  But those will fall most of the time.  I really liked the way he played with his back to the basket.  He backed his defender down nicely and got an easy look every time.

Clarke is going to be a difference maker all year.  That was a huge get for Mike and company. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

azhog10

Quote from: HogFan#1 on November 21, 2012, 09:23:37 am
Yeah, I facepalmed when he missed that 2 footer in front of the rim.  But those will fall most of the time.  I really liked the way he played with his back to the basket.  He backed his defender down nicely and got an easy look every time.

Clarke is going to be a difference maker all year.  That was a huge get for Mike and company.
We got a lot of key guys that play roles that Mike needs. That being said I do get the worry some have of not enough playmakers. That being said I don't think that that's the case as much as it was last year. Obviously BJ and Powell are a given. I think Wade's shooting ability and the fact he's trying to drive the ball more will also be an added benefit. But the biggest piece being overlooked by some is Madden. If something were to happen during the season I have full confidence in Mike turning to Madden and saying "it's your team to lead" I really think he's came a long way and just watching him out there I think he could easily put this team on his back and make things happen.

Also, I think Dee Wagner could end up seeing a lot more PT than we thought. His shot is serviceable and he can finish despite his size. He plays great defense and is a pretty good passer. I could see a group with Dee, Madden, Young/Wade, Powell, and Clarke/Mickelson that could really put a clamp down on Defense and also push in transition.

HF#1

Quote from: azhog10 on November 21, 2012, 09:31:28 am
We got a lot of key guys that play roles that Mike needs. That being said I do get the worry some have of not enough playmakers. That being said I don't think that that's the case as much as it was last year. Obviously BJ and Powell are a given. I think Wade's shooting ability and the fact he's trying to drive the ball more will also be an added benefit. But the biggest piece being overlooked by some is Madden. If something were to happen during the season I have full confidence in Mike turning to Madden and saying "it's your team to lead" I really think he's came a long way and just watching him out there I think he could easily put this team on his back and make things happen.

Also, I think Dee Wagner could end up seeing a lot more PT than we thought. His shot is serviceable and he can finish despite his size. He plays great defense and is a pretty good passer. I could see a group with Dee, Madden, Young/Wade, Powell, and Clarke/Mickelson that could really put a clamp down on Defense and also push in transition.

I agree 100%.  I think Madden is the X-factor this season.  He just looks more mature on the floor. When he runs the point, he's decisive and very quick.  If he can look for his shot a little more he could add to our playmaking ability.  I like what I see from Wagner.  He will be very serviceable at the point.  Wade and Scott are just sick with their on ball defense.  Haydar has impressed me with his defense as well. 

choppedporkextrasauce

what I don't get is all the b****ing about a 29 point win.

For a team trying to incorporate a bunch of new players and having to learn a complex defensive system that requires reaction over thought I think winning by 29 points is great. Three games in people are expecting perfection or a seasons worth of fine tuning which is ridiculous. You'd never expect a Pel or Heath team to win by this much without perfection.

I am very excited by this season, I don't expect to be the best, but I do expect this season to be a building block towards a better team in the future. Jeez enjoy a victory and have fun.

poloprince

I'll take 89 points in a not so stellar showing anyday of the week.  It is not going to be pretty every night and ugly wins are always welcome.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

sportswriter41

This is the best looking team I have seen since Nolan was on the hill....... Its crazy to be critical at this point. Especially after a win.

For one this team is VERY young. Also you might want to consider its really early in the season. Like what 3rd game or something ?

This team is LOADED. Enjoy the year. Its the only thing Long has gotten right.

reddogjcss

They had a few weak moments but over all look ok. These guys are going to get better and faster as the season goes forward. This should by a pretty good year and the future looks bright! That's my take

Brand X Hog Fan

It was just one of those games. Even Mike was just sitting back letting the guys work through it on their own terms, letting them learn while doing. He has some good teaching points, primarily about keeping focused, and you can bet he started those right after the buzzer, will continue them on the airplane, breakfast, shoot around, and right up to the pregame huddle.

We are young and in a game like FAMU, you are going to see the young guys get off script a little. The first 7 were very solid save for Mick. He's gotta step up as a leader.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.