Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you guys crazy? In defense of MA

Started by Fan701, March 17, 2018, 12:52:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knot2brite

Everyone in defense of MA wants to say he is a good coach. Ok here is my question...when is good not enough? He was taking Mizzou to much higher levels before he came here and after seven seasons he isn't able to take them higher. Never had a losing season and that is amazing. Taken the team to three tournaments in seven years....uh that's ok if you are Wyoming. Can't get past the second game of the tourney....we have a problem. Plays a system that is difficult to play with the modern rules and cannot get the fundamentals through to his players( rebounding, backside rotation on defense, stopping the dribble penetration etc etc) and therein lies the major problem. We have athletes and not necessarily basketball players. Most successful teams have mainly basketball players and a couple of athlete types. We seem to have a bunch of athletes and maybe a couple basketball players. This has to change and so does MA. Neither of which is probably going to happen
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

steveaustin69

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 05:14:45 pm
You mean someone like Jimmy Swaggert?  I think you're getting pretty far off topic with the religion thing.  Lying, cheating, and stealing to win and get ahead just aren't my thing.  I guess in this era that makes me a loser. Good luck to you.

Correct

steveaustin69

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 05:56:45 pm
I don't know, but three of the past four years MA has put the best Arkansas teams since the 1990's on the court.  I have a hard time equating that with the Pelphrey disaster.  It's clear that, for most on here, what MA has done doesn't come close to good enough.  Anyway, I can see that I'm losing this argument, and the mob wants Anderson run out of town.  So be it.  I hope it all works out for you, but my guess is that it won't

Get off of your high horse. Seriously. Mike's not a great coach; proof is in the pudding.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 17, 2018, 06:03:46 pm
They been gone for sometime but they're back again.

I've been here. Not sure what you're talking about.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 07:01:23 pm
You are full of bull****.  You are trying to spin an agenda.  The mecca for sports entertainment at the moment says we have a very good class and I'm supposed to believe you that the high rated players are not good.  I wonder if I go digging through your posts on what you had to say about Darious Hall and Big Dan.  Probably said they weren't good either huh? GTFOH.

If you use ESPN as your recruiting source, well..

rude1

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 18, 2018, 09:41:58 am
Everyone in defense of MA wants to say he is a good coach. Ok here is my question...when is good not enough? He was taking Mizzou to much higher levels before he came here and after seven seasons he isn't able to take them higher. Never had a losing season and that is amazing. Taken the team to three tournaments in seven years....uh that's ok if you are Wyoming. Can't get past the second game of the tourney....we have a problem. Plays a system that is difficult to play with the modern rules and cannot get the fundamentals through to his players( rebounding, backside rotation on defense, stopping the dribble penetration etc etc) and therein lies the major problem. We have athletes and not necessarily basketball players. Most successful teams have mainly basketball players and a couple of athlete types. We seem to have a bunch of athletes and maybe a couple basketball players. This has to change and so does MA. Neither of which is probably going to happen
Uhhh, I know this sounds good and is one of the scripted complaints "athletes not basketball players", but that was one of the problems, a non athletic roster being asked to do the things that's designed for an athletic roster, it is what made the defense so atrocious, didn't have the recovery speed needed to play that way. Other than the freshman Hall, Gafford and maybe Bailey the rest of the roster is guys who are average to below average athletically.

Knot2brite

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 10:10:48 am
Uhhh, I know this sounds good and is one of the scripted complaints "athletes not basketball players", but that was one of the problems, a non athletic roster being asked to do the things that's designed for an athletic roster, it is what made the defense so atrocious, didn't have the recovery speed needed to play that way. Other than the freshman Hall, Gafford and maybe Bailey the rest of the roster is guys who are average to below average athletically.
Well this sounds like a scripted Friends of Mike response. What it sounds like you are saying is that MA mid-recruited for his own system and got non athletic basketball players instead of athletes that could run his system. That doesn't sound very smart of a highly paid coach wanting to win a national championship. Are you suggesting that he got athletes that could not play in his style and that is the reason that he was unable to go further?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Kevin

after 16 years of being a head coach, he is who he is. 22 wins, and 11 loses a year.
in 16 years, he has had 2 above average years. uab, co champs sweet 16, mizzou,, conference tournament champs, elite 8

this year is the norm
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2018, 02:10:18 pm
Just love these "new" excuse making posters. Breems is right.  Butler didn't beat us by 17 because of cheating.  "Let's just give him more time."  He's 59 and had 7 seasons here. How much more time? What you want is for everyone to just be happy with whatever.  Program not even worth time to pay attention to it. Irrelevant.
Bye Felicia!

ChicoHog

Obviously the best scenario is having great players who are very athletic but given the choice give me basketball players over athletes every time.  Especially 5 guys who can shoot it. 

BigHog396

Quote from: Fan701 on March 17, 2018, 04:31:07 pm
Macon and Barford played over 30 minutes a game, even more in conference play.  How much do you propose to play them, 40 minutes?  He doesn't get five-star talent for one reason:  He refuses to play the paying-under-the-table game.  Any coach who doesn't figure out a way to funnel money to AAU coaches and/or the families will almost never get a five-star player under the one-and-done regime.
Did you pay any attention at all to the Monk recruiting situation?  His mom got a high-paying job in NWA, and brother got a job on the staff when the Monk's moved to NWA... what exactly do think was going on with that situation???  If you really think the program was clean in that situation, you are totally oblivious to how things work in the real world.  Mike just wasn't good enough to close the deal.  He tried to play the game, and got schooled.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 18, 2018, 09:41:58 am

Well he made one run at Mizzou which looked at vs his career it is an anomaly. His last two seasons were more like where we are.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rbill

I simultaneously love Mike and wish he would succeed while I hate watching other teams play offense and defense in this tournament in comparison to how we play offense and defense.

Why can't we be as successful as a tiny school that chooses to play defense together and pass the ball around?