Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What say you Hogville?

Started by Lanlord, December 12, 2017, 07:15:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanlord

Do you agree or not?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/which-direction-sec-teams-heading/

Arkansas

Trending: Abyss scouting

Why: New coach Chad Morris will have to adapt to what he has been given at Arkansas, since Bret Bielema's recruits will be there a few more seasons. This rebuilding process will take a while. Bielema looked like a home run hire at Arkansas, but came up well short. Fans should be cautious about putting too much stock in Morris.

pigbacon

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

JONAS

Nope.  Who care what that dude thinks?  He probably doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

hawaiianhogster

It's his opinion. I disagree with him and that's my opinion.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It'll be funny when the Hogs take down teams they should not beat this coming season. Reality says 3 or four years before that is supposed to happen. MEH

I'm optimistic yet I understand the reality of the SEC. There are no guarantee's. I won't cry if we have a bad season here or there as long as I can see improvements each year.

JONAS

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on December 12, 2017, 08:12:37 pm
It's his opinion. I disagree with him and that's my opinion.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It'll be funny when the Hogs take down teams they should not beat this coming season. Reality says 3 or four years before that is supposed to happen. MEH

I'm optimistic yet I understand the reality of the SEC. There are no guarantee's. I won't cry if we have a bad season here or there as long as I can see improvements each year.

I just want to see improvement as well.  I am hoping for 7-5 or 6-6.

The NewEra

What I know about Morris is that everywhere he's been, he's been a winner.  I expect to see progress each year and potentially competing for the SEC West by year four or five.  That will be determined by how quickly he can get a top notch defense in place.  Once he's been here three years I don't expect to see a season with less than eight wins with him at the helm.

lumphog

LuckyGiraffe

Chad Morris is AWESOME!!!! I know; I've read it on here a lot. How could things possibly be challenging? If he lands his 'best DC in the country,' then he will have a real chance to do well.

JONAS

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on December 12, 2017, 08:18:38 pm
Chad Morris is AWESOME!!!! I know; I've read it on here a lot. How could things possibly be challenging? If he lands his 'best DC in the country,' then he will have a real chance to do well.

I'm ready for the DC to be announced.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Well Bielema shadowed Ford's trajectory so we can hope 2018 is 1998 all over again. Hell if Nutt can do it...
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

JONAS

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 12, 2017, 08:59:17 pm
Well Bielema shadowed Ford's trajectory so we can hope 2018 is 1998 all over again. Hell if Nutt can do it...

I wouldn't mind starting 8-0.

Rayzback

Quote from: Lanlord on December 12, 2017, 07:15:12 pm

Trending: Abyss scouting

Why: New coach Chad Morris will have to adapt to what he has been given at Arkansas, since Bret Bielema's recruits will be there a few more seasons. This rebuilding process will take a while. Bielema looked like a home run hire at Arkansas, but came up

Abyss? Dilly, Dilly!

I understand we are looking at big changes, but I'd like to think the experience they gained from the SMU flip will be useful. Maybe speed things up?
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Wildhog

There are no guarantees. However, there are plenty of reasons for optimism with Morris.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 09:01:50 pm
I wouldn't mind starting 8-0.

Put a $100 on that in Vegas.  That is probably a 1000-1 shot.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

redeye

SDS is entertaining, but I rarely place much value in their opinions.  Let's look at what they said:

"New coach Chad Morris will have to adapt to what he has been given at Arkansas, since Bret Bielema's recruits will be there a few more seasons."

Yes, that's how head coaching changes work.  I  think his point is that Bielema's players won't fit into CCM's offense.  Of course there will be problems, but I suspect they'll do better than expected.  Our guys are not super fast, but they're not just big, either.

This rebuilding process will take a while.

If it didn't, then we wouldn't be rebuilding.  He's over-selling this.

Bielema looked like a home run hire at Arkansas, but came up well short.

It's almost like he just discovered what we've known for a while now.

Fans should be cautious about putting too much stock in Morris.

Why?  This is just a blanket statement, because he doesn't give a reason for it.

cosmodrum

If SDS were a magazine, it would be Highlights.
Go away, batin'

elksnort

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 09:44:13 pm
There are no guarantees. However, there are plenty of reasons for optimism with Morris.
the offense will instantly improve and if they could just get quicker on defense that'll make it better there also

Wildhog

Quote from: elksnort on December 12, 2017, 10:26:19 pm
the offense will instantly improve and if they could just get quicker on defense that'll make it better there also

Agreed on both.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Kig

My responses to your drivel inserted.  The guy is right, but too many have already been blinded or bludgeoned into getting on the Chad Hammerdown express and there's no room to question the almighty decisions that led to his new position.   

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 10:20:51 pm
SDS is entertaining, but I rarely place much value in their opinions.  Let's look at what they said:

"New coach Chad Morris will have to adapt to what he has been given at Arkansas, since Bret Bielema's recruits will be there a few more seasons."

Yes, that's how head coaching changes work.  I  think his point is that Bielema's players won't fit into CCM's offense.  Of course there will be problems, but I suspect they'll do better than expected.  Our guys are not super fast, but they're not just big, either. 

Agreed...we have slow guys who aren't strong either.  Why would you think they will do better than expected?   

This rebuilding process will take a while.

If it didn't, then we wouldn't be rebuilding.  He's over-selling this.

No...he's not.  Complete overhaul of offense AND defense.  We saw first hand what completely changing an defensive scheme can do.  We were told by many on Hogville how seamless the transition would be because we had players better suited to a 3-4.  It wasn't.   

Bielema looked like a home run hire at Arkansas, but came up well short.

It's almost like he just discovered what we've known for a while now.

No... He's just pointing out the obvious. 

Fans should be cautious about putting too much stock in Morris.

Why?  This is just a blanket statement, because he doesn't give a reason for it.

Other than the onslaught of sunshine rays and unicorns being constantly streamed on Hogville,  it's completely rational to think that this little foray into a Big 12 offensive scheme is going to be difficult in the SEC, let alone by a team that hasn't built a culture around basketball on grass.  Does that mean it won't work?  Of course not, but it's reasonable to be cautious.   
Poker Porker

UA1985

So much depends on whether we have a QB who can execute the new offense effectively. If one of our QBs really fits well, we could score a lot of points and hide a lot of weaknesses in other areas. But I'm not sure we have the right QB. I hope Kelley is a fit but I'm skeptical.

synthartist69

Should we be careful? Yes... this could work out great or it could fail. No one knows. This is new territory for Morris as a HC. Hope it works out for sure!

synthartist69

Quote from: UA1985 on December 13, 2017, 12:24:06 am
So much depends on whether we have a QB who can execute the new offense effectively. If one of our QBs really fits well, we could score a lot of points and hide a lot of weaknesses in other areas. But I'm not sure we have the right QB. I hope Kelley is a fit but I'm skeptical.
Yes, I really like Kelly but I question his accuracy. Maybe that improves in the off season. Good news is he has some serious time under his belt at starter.

buldozer

Only the best coaches have had success here so only time will tell with CCM. He for the most part is an unknown commodity at this point. I hope he turns out to be a rockstar!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 09:44:13 pm

Exactly. We have some talented receivers returning and he's adding more. We have a few tight ends that probably are more suited for Morris than blocking for Bielema. Other than pass blocking offense wasn't a huge problem and I think we will score in bunches next year.
I just hope whoever is coaching defense can find a couple difference makers to sign in February. Perhaps a few jucos that can step right in and help.

(notOM)Rebel123

Dude has Bama as "kinda standstill".

If Bama is at a standstill...sign us up for that.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Al Boarland

Every level headed person with an opinion knows it's going to take a few years for Morris to build the program.  We already have the microwave Hog fans predicting instant success winning 8 games next season.  They will be the same posters crying when it doesn't happen as fast as they would like or at all.

DeltaBoy

It will take some time but good Lord we waited 5 years with Long and the Pig Farmer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dwight_K_Shrute

All he needs to do is beat the two Mississippi schools and with the 4 non-con and he's got 6 regular seasons wins and a bowl game.  After sitting on the sidelines this season I think most would be happy with that and it would show improvement.

What fans don't want is a repeat of Bielema where you go 0'fer in conference your first year after having a losing season the year before.

Beating OM and MSU should be very doable.  OM is a mess and MSU is with a first year HC, no telling what Nick Fitz is going to be like next year.  Win those two be competitive or at least entertaining in the rest of the conference games and he will be fine.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogPharmer

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 13, 2017, 05:07:29 am
Dude has Bama as "kinda standstill".

If Bama is at a standstill...sign us up for that.

Standstill as in "still standing atop the CFB world"
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

jkstock04

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 13, 2017, 08:42:13 am
All he needs to do is beat the two Mississippi schools and with the 4 non-con and he's got 6 regular seasons wins and a bowl game.  After sitting on the sidelines this season I think most would be happy with that and it would show improvement.

What fans don't want is a repeat of Bielema where you go 0'fer in conference your first year after having a losing season the year before.

Beating OM and MSU should be very doable.  OM is a mess and MSU is with a first year HC, no telling what Nick Fitz is going to be like next year.  Win those two be competitive or at least entertaining in the rest of the conference games and he will be fine.
The "this was always going to be a 5 year rebuild guys" mantra and narrative ain't gonna work this time around. He will have a tad bit of leeway for 2018 but not much. Guarantee you if he muses about losing the last conference game of the year to make it a solid 0-8 that won't be met with a pat on the butt like last time around.

We need to win 6-8 games this next season in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on December 12, 2017, 08:18:38 pm

actually, when it looked like he would be the hire, many here were saying if they hire CM they would leave HV, quit buying tickets, and become ASU fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 09:01:15 am
actually, when it looked like he would be the hire, many here were saying if they hire CM they would leave HV, quit buying tickets, and become ASU fans.

Many many are saying it's an awesome hire and they are gonna buy tickets, I expect a huge increase in ticket sales and RF donations...before he ever coaches a game.  Come on people put your money where your mouth is.

PS: I like the hire just fine but I'm waiting til the action starts to start acting like a little girl at the "next big thang" concert. 

What I see is the work that has to be done and that's not hyperbole.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 13, 2017, 09:12:44 am
Many many are saying it's an awesome hire and they are gonna buy tickets, I expect a huge increase in ticket sales and RF donations...before he ever coaches a game.  Come on people put your money where your mouth is.

PS: I like the hire just fine but I'm waiting til the action starts to start acting like a little girl at the "next big thang" concert. 

What I see is the work that has to be done and that's not hyperbole.

I like the hire, I like it better than Norvell or Kiffin that is for sure. I just find it funny how many posters were so vehement against the hire until it was made official.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

justmakeit2thebcs

December 13, 2017, 09:30:47 am #34 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:47:38 am by justmakeit2thebcs
Quote from: The NewEra on December 12, 2017, 08:14:35 pm
What I know about Morris is that everywhere he's been, he's been a winner.  I expect to see progress each year and potentially competing for the SEC West by year four or five.  That will be determined by how quickly he can get a top notch defense in place.  Once he's been here three years I don't expect to see a season with less than eight wins with him at the helm.
Except for SMU, not a winner there.   Year 3 was better than years 1 and 2, so there's that, so the trand was up. but they lost 3 of the last 4, so the trend was down?

Point is, you can make the numbers fit your agenda. But calling a guy winner at SMU is using something other than the record.   I 'm sure I'll wind up behind the guy by the tiime football season rolls around, then the first time he gives up 60, I'll be pissed again.

Hogwild

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 13, 2017, 06:21:09 am
Every level headed person with an opinion knows it's going to take a few years for Morris to build the program.  We already have the microwave Hog fans predicting instant success winning 8 games next season.  They will be the same posters crying when it doesn't happen as fast as they would like or at all.

I agree, we need to have some patience.  Hopefully we can get to 6 regular season wins and get to a bowl game.  We will not have the talent on a roster next year that can matchup with a lot of opponents we face. It is going to take Morris more than this recruiting class to get the defense and oline to where it needs to be.  The other question is the QB of future '19&'20 currently on the roster?

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 09:29:26 am
I like the hire, I like it better than Norvell or Kiffin that is for sure. I just find it funny how many posters were so vehement against the hire until it was made official.
I don't, but all I have to do is think about Bret Bielema and the more I get behind it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogwild on December 13, 2017, 09:35:52 am
I agree, we need to have some patience.  Hopefully we can get to 6 regular season wins and get to a bowl game.  We will not have the talent on a roster next year that can matchup with a lot of opponents we face. It is going to take Morris more than this recruiting class to get the defense and oline to where it needs to be.  The other question is the QB of future '19&'20 currently on the roster?
Opinions widely vary on whether this roster has players to win right now or not. I tend to agree with the later...I don't think there is much SEC talent on this team right now. But, we will see what Chad Morris can do with what he has to work with in '18.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SemperHawg

The transition piece of it does raise some questions... I would be interested to see what some on here's thought on the subject are.  It seems I have always read/seen "experts" on T.V. say its easier to transition from a system like Bielema ran to an up tempo spread system than the other way around. 

The ease of transition with our current players to his system is the key.  I personally think we have the pieces in place to surprise next year in this offensive scheme.  It looks like a system designed to take the players thinking a whole lot out of the equation and just freeing them up to go make plays.

That could very well be a gross over simplification and just my homerism showing though.

a0ashle

I think you can see evidence that CBB was changing the style of player he recruited, so I think we aren't quite at the bottom of the hole, we still have a climb but there is a lot of talent on this team.

JONAS

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 12, 2017, 09:49:34 pm
Put a $100 on that in Vegas.  That is probably a 1000-1 shot.

Probably not going to happen.  Would love to see another 42-6 beating of Alabama like 1998.

The NewEra

I bet the Spring Game has record turnout!

hogfanny

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 13, 2017, 09:59:08 am
The transition piece of it does raise some questions... I would be interested to see what some on here's thought on the subject are.  It seems I have always read/seen "experts" on T.V. say its easier to transition from a system like Bielema ran to an up tempo spread system than the other way around. 

The ease of transition with our current players to his system is the key.  I personally think we have the pieces in place to surprise next year in this offensive scheme.  It looks like a system designed to take the players thinking a whole lot out of the equation and just freeing them up to go make plays.

That could very well be a gross over simplification and just my homerism showing though.
well it isn't pretty, but it sure is ugly!

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

rhog1

I think the reason for optimism next season is twofold. I think we actually have a lot of talent that just wasn't being used properly, and we have one of the easiest schedules we have had since joining the SEC. I could see us winning 8 next year or I could see us only winning 5.  Either way why not be optimistic about the new hire and next season. No point in being a pessimistic sad sack when it could go either way. 

FutureMan

I don't agree with that assessment at all.  Towards the end of the season, there was no life or excitement to the team.  There was no hope for the future if CBB remained.  Don't know how it can trend farther down from that. 

CCM is injecting a lot of life to the program.  I am already excited about the possibilities for the future, as I'm sure most other posters are.  Now, that doesn't mean we are going to win the SEC or anything - there is still a transition adjustment that needs to be done, but there is still a lot of talent on this team; especially in the skill positions that will fit right into what CCM is trying to do.  Plus, there is always that new level of excitement and energy when a new coach takes over.

So, if anything, we are at least trending a little up due to the renewed excitement in the program.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

IronHog

Quote from: Hogwild on December 13, 2017, 09:35:52 am

Have you looked at the 2018 schedule?

Plenty of rent a wins and vandy/Mizzou from the east
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MORAZOR

The offense scored enough points to win a couple extra games last year.....New offense is great and exciting....biggest issue for the past 2 years have been defense, or lack thereof.....hard to think much will change until we find out who the dcoord will be....

ChicoHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 12, 2017, 10:26:12 pm
If SDS were a magazine, it would be Highlights.
hey, I always liked the Hidden Pictures when I was at the dentist/doctors office! 

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 13, 2017, 11:16:48 am
hey, I always liked the Hidden Pictures when I was at the dentist/doctors office!

But Tennessee is "Down but not Out".  LOL   Yeah, this guy is an expert on College Football.  Wowzers
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck