Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RANKING CFB FAN HAPPINESS - Arkansas #93

Started by RME, August 22, 2017, 12:30:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 12:44:42 pm
No darn.  Rebuilding in the SEC isn't fun.  This covered 2012 - 2016 which started off as a crapshow for us.  Some fans can handle it and understand the situation and many can't. 

Personally, I'm still not over the last 2 games last season.

I agree with the last two games sentiment, but I also am an optimist by nature and competitive as hell! So, I am thinking that this team has learned how to finish, or else we do seriously need to look into the foundations of the program. That being said I am expecting a great year, and will not throw up every single little less than perfect instance I can remember repeatedly, or derail every positive thread. This is Brett's year to show what he and his staff are made of. I believe he has made some incredible hires recently that are paying off early. It feels right this time.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogman64 on August 23, 2017, 10:04:36 am
I have thought this was spot on for a long time.  It is kind of a compliment actually... it acknowledges we  have passionate fans who care and support the team in a huge way, but we are stuck in the best division of the best conference in college football.  we compete against schools  who have had more success than we and several have bigger budgets than we.  our recruiting base in our home state is smaller and  when we offer big time out of state players , much more often than not they choose one of our rivals when we go head to head.   that is a prescription for a miserable passionate fan base.....to me it means we have enough going for us to cause hope year after year but realistically the odds are against us  in a big way.

The ACC is now the best conference.

The SEC is top heavy with Bama, followed by a lot of mediocre teams. 

I hope last season was more of an oddity than something that may become the norm.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: hogman64 on August 23, 2017, 10:04:36 am
I have thought this was spot on for a long time.  It is kind of a compliment actually... it acknowledges we  have passionate fans who care and support the team in a huge way, but we are stuck in the best division of the best conference in college football.  we compete against schools  who have had more success than we and several have bigger budgets than we.  our recruiting base in our home state is smaller and  when we offer big time out of state players , much more often than not they choose one of our rivals when we go head to head.   that is a prescription for a miserable passionate fan base.....to me it means we have enough going for us to cause hope year after year but realistically the odds are against us  in a big way.

This is an excellent summary. See, it's not that bad.

Hogopolis

If the ranking was solely based on hogville Arkansas would be dead last in fan happiness. 

hawgon

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 23, 2017, 04:55:19 pm
If the ranking was solely based on hogville Arkansas would be dead last in fan happiness.

No, Hogville is on average a lot more satisfied with Bielema than the run of the mill fan.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 23, 2017, 05:38:07 pm
No, Hogville is on average a lot more satisfied with Bielema than the run of the mill fan.

Link?

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on August 23, 2017, 05:44:34 pm
Link?
lol, a link to the thoughts of the average fan that doesnt post on the internet?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 23, 2017, 05:58:39 pm
lol, a link to the thoughts of the average fan that doesnt post on the internet?

About as worthless as his post!

LZH

I would agree with that. Mostly because folks remember Hatfields good years, Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, and Petrino's run. I honestly can't say I have spoken to one single person since the end of last year that thinks Bielema is going to make it.

Biggus Piggus

Never know about the quality of data inputs (like WTH's Phil Steele's coaching stability crapola worth), but the model is reasonably designed. How exactly one samples Twitter is a huge question -- I'd be skeptical of almost any method. Would take some heavy-duty machine learning algos to produce anything but gibberish.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 02:56:29 pm
Is or is not Arkansas a small state?

Is or is not Louisville a city?  And not a big one to boot.

The only reason we are as high as we are is because most fans actually like BB dispite anything "on the field".

hawgon

If you want a small sample of non Hogville fan satisfaction, just go back to last year's twitter storm Jeff Long hit when he posted that there were more important things than wins and losses after the VT or Missouri meltdown.  It sent him scurrying from Twitter for a good while after.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on August 24, 2017, 08:10:58 am
If you want a small sample of non Hogville fan satisfaction, just go back to last year's twitter storm Jeff Long hit when he posted that there were more important things than wins and losses after the VT or Missouri meltdown.  It sent him scurrying from Twitter for a good while after.

Yeah, that wasn't a smart thing for him to post right after 2 straight losses where the team imploded in the second half of both games.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 24, 2017, 08:03:35 am
Is or is not Louisville a city?  And not a big one to boot.

The only reason we are as high as we are is because most fans actually like BB dispite anything "on the field".

Not sure how you define big, but Louisville is pretty big by most standards. Over 600,000 in city limits and twice that in metro area.  About the same size as Nashville and Memphis.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Deep Shoat

That was the same herd of jackasses that post here and call in to Drive Time Sports. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

Cinco de Hogo

August 24, 2017, 08:55:36 am #115 Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:54:11 am by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2017, 08:27:11 am
Not sure how you define big, but Louisville is pretty big by most standards. Over 600,000 in city limits and twice that in metro area.  About the same size as Nashville and Memphis.

And not much bigger than NWA, also there aren't much more outside the city area than in NWA.  It's not as attractive area to live in either. 

But no, when I think of big city it's not Louisville, doesn't even have the feel.  Now Memphis does and it really sucks.

Another thing, it takes 45 min to drive from Bella Vista to Greenland.  It takes about 15 min to drive through Louisville.  On the bright side for Louisville, they have Papa John's Stadium!

hogcard1964

+1000

That was not a well thought out Tweet.

The Kig

Would have only been surprised if we were ranked higher.  Given the time period measured, even the most ardent supporters (of the Hogs and/or CBB) would have trouble convincing that they are happy with the results during that span.  I share the frustration with how last year ended, but I also see how this year's team has used that as fuel to grow (a lesson many of us who wallow over past failure could learn) and move on.  Fans want success- they want it quickly and they want it often, circumstances be darned.

Does that mean that I am not optimistic about where we are going?  Not in the least. 
Poker Porker

hogcard1964

Quote from: The Kig on August 24, 2017, 09:40:08 am
Would have only been surprised if we were ranked higher.  Given the time period measured, even the most ardent supporters (of the Hogs and/or CBB) would have trouble convincing that they are happy with the results during that span.  I share the frustration with how last year ended, but I also see how this year's team has used that as fuel to grow (a lesson many of us who wallow over past failure could learn) and move on.  Fans want success- they want it quickly and they want it often, circumstances be darned.

Does that mean that I am not optimistic about where we are going?  Not in the least.

If we start 5-0 ...and we should, I'll get excited.

...until we play Bama.   :(

GuvHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 24, 2017, 08:50:28 am
That was the same herd of jackasses that post here and call in to Drive Time Sports. 

That time though, that herd was right. That was a bad move at that time by the AD.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 23, 2017, 04:55:19 pm

CBB had a whole season of opportunities to change the perception. He'll get another one this season.

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on August 23, 2017, 05:44:34 pmNo, Hogville is on average a lot more satisfied with Bielema than the run of the mill fan.

Link?

Sorry Rice, but I agree with him.  I feel CBB has more favorable opinion here than in amongst the general fanbase. And that is not a bad thing. As far as a link the best I could say his he has the 3rd lowest approval rating among SEC coaches.

QuoteThe Razorbacks put together another top-30 recruiting class in 2017, landing four 4-star recruits. The Razorbacks have nine commitments in their 2018 class, and have the No. 8 recruiting class in the SEC for the 2018 recruiting cycle.

Defense was a huge problem in 2016, especially against the run. After defensive coordinator Robb Smith left in the offseason, Bielema promoted secondary coach Paul Rhoads to that leading role. Rhoads has experience calling a defense and was Iowa State's coach from 2009-15. If Rhoads can turn around the defense, Arkansas could be in for a much-improved season.

Bielema might need that to happen, considering his 66.2-percent approval rating in SEC Country's previous approval poll. That left him 12th among SEC coaches. Only Gus Malzahn and Kevin Sumlin came in with lower approval ratings.

Bielema earned $4.1 million in 2016. In his four years at Arkansas, Bielema has a 25-26 overall record but is 10-22 in the SEC. The Razorbacks open their season Aug. 31 against Florida A&M.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-arkansas-football-coach-approval-rating-07-16-2017

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 24, 2017, 11:19:30 am
If we start 5-0 ...and we should, I'll get excited.

...until we play BamaArkansas.   :(

FTFY

hogcard1964

daBoar

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2017, 08:27:11 am
You, made me look it up.  Nashville has the largest SMSA of the three; Louisville the smallest, but not by much.

hogcard1964

Quote from: daBoar on August 24, 2017, 04:40:38 pm
You, made me look it up.  Nashville has the largest SMSA of the three; Louisville the smallest, but not by much.

Nashville's becoming very dirty.  I've gone there in each of the last 5 years and the difference in its cleanliness is very noticeable.

Hogeye_Pierce

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

go hogues

Below even Ole Miss. A program in the gallows.

That hurts.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

grayhawg

Tired of getting the shaft every game might have something to do with it.

AirWarren

Quote from: go hogues on August 28, 2017, 02:46:57 pm

That hurts.

Been on this earth 32 years. Nothing has changed with this program.

hogcard1964

We're still not as miserable as Kentucky, Vanderbilt or Ole Miss right now.

Tusks

you want to get happy, then go 10-3 or 11-2 and the program will be orgasmic
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

sickboy

The problem for Arkansas fans is we're also some of the most delusional fans on the planet too. We have very high expectations relative to our actual prestige.

So, we're unhappy and delusional. It's a helluva mix.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: sickboy on August 28, 2017, 05:43:59 pm
The problem for Arkansas fans is we're also some of the most delusional fans on the planet too. We have very high expectations relative to our actual prestige.

So, we're unhappy and delusional. It's a helluva mix.

We expect Arkansas to be a competitive team game in and game out, make bowl games and win most of them, and every once in a while be able to compete for an SEC title. That's not that high of expectations. Arkansas is capable of being that, and our prestige has nothing to do with it. That's actually our prestige anyway.

Hogwild

Quote from: go hogues on August 28, 2017, 02:46:57 pm

That hurts.

The range was from 2012-16, reality had sunk in for Ole Miss yet.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 24, 2017, 08:24:10 pm
Nashville's becoming very dirty.  I've gone there in each of the last 5 years and the difference in its cleanliness is very noticeable.

I haven't been in several years. Is it dirty like trash everywhere, or like lots of homeless people, or something else?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 02:33:42 pm
Well they have 1.5 mil more than Arkansas. Louisville has a population of 250K.
So Louisville gets all of there players from Louisville... ??? ...Awesome!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2017, 02:58:56 pm
The team is competitive and wins more than it loses.  Fans desperately need some perspective.
1. See Texas A&M 2016. See Alabama 2016. See Auburn 2016. See LSU 2016. Were we competitive in those games. Alabama, Auburn and LSWho toyed with us. They could have done whatever they wanted to and there was nothing we could have done about it. If you call that being competitive well, I guess we have two different definitions of the word competitive.

2. See Missouri 2016. See Virginia Tech 2016. Blew two big halftime leads.

3. Sure we win more than we lose. Against non-conference cupcake opponents.

Hoggie17

I agree!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 22, 2017, 03:10:30 pm
Yeah I kind of figured that out about the methodology after I typed.  The ranking seems to be ridiculous on multiple levels.

There's no way that the Arkansas fan base should be more unhappy than Ole Miss with all their problems, Vandy (perpetual doormat), South Carolina (perpetual underachiever).  Even Missouri with their small taste of success recently.
A happy fan base or a happy fan can all depend on what you value more. A clean program and academics, wins and losses, or somewhere in between. I'm in the somewhere in between category.
Ole Miss - Wins but cheats
Vandy - One of the smartest schools in the country but doesn't win much
South Carolina - Was pretty solid under Spurrier but now not so much
Missouri - Has won two SEC East Championships since being in the SEC but has been a struggle as of late. Unless of course they are playing Arkansas ;D. What has Arkansas done lately?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Wildhog on August 22, 2017, 03:13:15 pm
I don't know about the rest of the fanbase, but I do know I'm not happy with our football program.
I am happy with everything about our football program except for the win/loss record. Especially the SEC win/loss record. I like Bielema and the kind of clean, academic, and off the field program he runs so now the next step is in the famous words of Al Davis "Just Win Baby".

Youngsta71701

Quote from: gchamblee on August 22, 2017, 04:09:15 pm
Winning will correct our place in this poll
Even if we are winning some people will still be complaining about something. They will dig to the deepest depths of their twisted imagination to find something to complain about. Trust me...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 22, 2017, 07:02:14 pm
Those guys with those stars do pretty well at the camps and CBB would take them if he could land them. A lot of "real football coaches" do get them and seem to do well.
Believe it or not stars matter. The proof is in the pudding. Look at the schools that win the most then look at their recruiting rankings relative to the conference they're in and you will see the correlation.

If your a coach at Arkansas you better be able to develop players and you better be able to coach. And it doesn't matter what sport you're coaching if you can't do those things at Arkansas you won't win much.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Polecat on August 23, 2017, 08:13:00 am
Red Wolves ranked #52....
Exactly, that's because they are beating the teams they are supposed to beat while at the same time at least being competitive against the teams that are bigger and more talented than them. If Arkansas at least did that many Arkansas fans will have less to complain about.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 23, 2017, 01:52:24 pm
What I do not get is how the outcome of a game, that you are not playing in, could make you unhappy for more than maybe an hour, unless thats all you've got. And, if thats the case, nothing is going to make you happy.

Really?  You don't get that?  You have made 41,000 posts on a website that exists for the sole purpose of discussing Razorback athletics.  The site has over 21,000 members who have made over 9 million posts, and you can't understand that people care about the success of Arkansas athletic teams?

That doesn't seem possible, and even if it is possible it doesn't seem reasonable.