Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back-Up QB

Started by Exit Pursued by a Boar, August 21, 2017, 07:41:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

phadedhawg

I hope we can get some playing time for the backups but just bc the score isn't close doesn't mean AA and the RBs don't need the extra snaps in a game situation.  Allen is a senior but he needs to get used to his OL and his backs. 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hawg66 on August 21, 2017, 01:49:38 pm
So now you wish your coach was more like Kliff Kingsbury?  Ok....

Do you want me to keep going?  Clemson tigers back up attemped 33.

gchamblee

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 12:15:44 pm
Really?  Just last season Patrick Mahomes back up Nic Shimonek attempted 58 passes.

Mahomes left a game early due to injury, and all Tech does is throw the ball. Nice try.

hogsanity

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 12:15:44 pm
Really?  Just last season Patrick Mahomes back up Nic Shimonek attempted 58 passes.

He was also a JR, and only played in 4 games. HE did almost all of his passing in the SFA and Kansas games where he threw 49 of his 58 passes. He played late in their blowout losses to WVU and Iowa St. IT is not like they were getting him 1st team snaps early in games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 01:57:10 pm
He was also a JR, and only played in 4 games. HE did almost all of his passing in the SFA and Kansas games where he threw 49 of his 58 passes. He played late in their blowout losses to WVU and Iowa St. IT is not like they were getting him 1st team snaps early in games.

Did I say he got 1st team reps? Are you implying game reps with the 2nd team aren't meaningful?

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 01:54:11 pm

hogsanity

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Did I say he got 1st team reps? Are you implying game reps with the 2nd team aren't meaningful?

Those are not meaningful snaps, in the context of the game.  Go read the other threads on this subject. People want the backup to get series with the 1st team. They have elaborate. plans on how to put them in for the 3rd series of the 1st half, then have them start the 2nd half, or some variance of that.  But no, in regard to getting the backup ready, playing with the 2nd team against a team that is also playing their backups, after you beat their 1st team into submission, is not meaningful to getting the backup ready to face the 1st team D of teams like LSu/Aub/Bama. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tejano Jawg

Think about this—there are some teams that don't have their STARTER chosen at this point. I'm glad we don't have that problem.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hogsanity

And he was a Sr that is not even on the team this year. The guy who is going to start for Clemson threw 9 passes last year as a soph and 9 in 2015 as a Fr.

hogsanity

Yes I do. I want you to find a team where the backup was playing with the 1st team, REGULARLY. So far you produced a guy in a offense that throws the ball just about every down, and a Sr on Clemson's team that is not even playing this year.

rzrbkman

In 2013 the Hogs were hosting Auburn and making a game of it. Brandon Allen had to leave the game for a while with a leg injury. AJ Derby came in and turned the ball over on 2 consecutive snaps. In 2014 Brandon Allen could not stand up straight on a potential game tying drive against a weak Missouri team, but there was no backup QB ready to go in game 12 of that season and the Hogs could not punch it in. I like CBB but it seems like he has never had a backup QB ready to go when needed, at Arkansas.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 02:09:40 pm
Those are not meaningful snaps, in the context of the game.  Go read the other threads on this subject. People want the backup to get series with the 1st team. They have elaborate. plans on how to put them in for the 3rd series of the 1st half, then have them start the 2nd half, or some variance of that.  But no, in regard to getting the backup ready, playing with the 2nd team against a team that is also playing their backups, after you beat their 1st team into submission, is not meaningful to getting the backup ready to face the 1st team D of teams like LSu/Aub/Bama.

That is simply not true.  To say game reps are only meaningful when its a tight contest against a good defense is ignoring plenty of areas.  First it's totally different when a qb is practicing in skeleton or repping in practice team with O.  They have no worries about being drilled from behind or their arm being ripped while attempting to throw.  Plays are scripted so the D can t go full bore.  Not to mention a stadium full of fans, family, girlfriends plus a national audience on t.v.. I want to see more than 4 attempts by the back up this season if there is a nice lead starting 4th quarter..  Not with the 1s with the 2s. 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 02:16:22 pm
Yes I do. I want you to find a team where the backup was playing with the 1st team, REGULARLY. So far you produced a guy in a offense that throws the ball just about every down, and a Sr on Clemson's team that is not even playing this year.

Keep moving the goal posts.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 21, 2017, 02:43:29 pm
In 2013 the Hogs were hosting Auburn and making a game of it. Brandon Allen had to leave the game for a while with a leg injury. AJ Derby came in and turned the ball over on 2 consecutive snaps. In 2014 Brandon Allen could not stand up straight on a potential game tying drive against a weak Missouri team, but there was no backup QB ready to go in game 12 of that season and the Hogs could not punch it in. I like CBB but it seems like he has never had a backup QB ready to go when needed, at Arkansas.

How would you suggest that be done? How do you get a guy ready to maybe have to lead a game winning drive in the last game of the season on the road? Playing with the 2nd and 3rd team against a out manned out classed opponent is not going to do it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 02:45:05 pm
Keep moving the goal posts.

No the goal post has always been find a coach that is doing anything with his backup other than playing him in mop up duty, other than if the starter gets hurt.

daprospecta

Thank you sir for pointing out how it has hurt us.  If we are up 35-7 at halftime against FAMU, there is no reason not to start our number 2 qb in the 3rd quarter.  The game is still out of hand but not completely over.  Allow your number 2 to throw because as we have seen every year in the last few years, the number 2 could be called on at any time.

daprospecta

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 02:47:23 pm
How would you suggest that be done? How do you get a guy ready to maybe have to lead a game winning drive in the last game of the season on the road? Playing with the 2nd and 3rd team against a out manned out classed opponent is not going to do it.
Take it from someone who played, practice does not compare to a game environment/situation. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

hogsanity

well I guess Saban is a moron then because they only have 2 players on the roster that have thrown a pass for the Tide. Hurts and Stewart, and Stewart has 2 attempts and is also not even a Qb, he is a WR. Same for ole Dabo at Clemson, his starter this year threw 9 whole passes last year, not exactly what i wold call " getting him ready" now was it.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 02:55:02 pm
well I guess Saban is a moron then because they only have 2 players on the roster that have thrown a pass for the Tide. Hurts and Stewart, and Stewart has 2 attempts and is also not even a Qb, he is a WR. Same for ole Dabo at Clemson, his starter this year threw 9 whole passes last year, not exactly what i wold call " getting him ready" now was it.

Saban was using a TRUE FRESHMAN last season lol.  Dude give up. Seriously.

Carl Lazlo

Is it ok to compare Arkansas to Michigan St?  One of their back ups Brian Lewerke class of 2015 had 57 attempts.

hogsanity

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 03:11:25 pm
Is it ok to compare Arkansas to Michigan St?  One of their back ups Brian Lewerke class of 2015 had 57 attempts.

Don't know because Mich St had another Qb with 46 attempts. Lewerke started and played the entire game against Maryland, a game MSu lost. So it appears that their starter missed some time with unjury or for other reasons.

Porked Tongue

I think it's been decided.

I believe the two involved will know as early as tomorrow and the rest of us shortly thereafter.

Carl Lazlo

Joe Burrow? Ohio st buckeyes 28 attempts.

Carl Lazlo

The back up would benefit with around 30 pass attempts. Per the stats from the majority of D1 schools.

hogsanity

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 21, 2017, 03:24:27 pm
The back up would benefit with around 30 pass attempts. Per the stats from the majority of D1 schools.

No one here would have issue with that, but that is not what people are talking about whe they say they want to get the backup ready. 30 pass attempts over a 12 game season ( 2.5 per game ) is NOT going to get the backup ready if they have to come in against a mad fired up 1st team D for a SEC opponent.

tampahog

Regardless of what other teams do or what is typical in the NFL where there are very few blowouts, if we have a comfortable lead, we should be building depth at the most important position on the team for 3 reasons:  1) to have real world experience in our backup if something were to happen to AA this year, 2) to reduce the risk of injury to AA in a meaningless situation, and 3) to build experience in our potential starter for next year and get the first game jitters out of the way now rather than next year.  The only argument against this is if our starter is still learning or we have a totally new offense that we need to break in and I don't feel that's the case with us this year.

It really doesn't matter to me if backup gets his reps with the 1st team or 2nd team.  When I say meaningful reps, what I mean is actually let them run the offense in it's entirety and try to move the chains (which is more than just trying to run the clock out).  If Saban chose not to develop a backup behind Hurts, then IMO he is taking a calculated risk but fortunately for him, he has great pass protection and a very mobile QB which are luxuries we haven't had lately. 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 03:34:36 pm
No one here would have issue with that, but that is not what people are talking about whe they say they want to get the backup ready. 30 pass attempts over a 12 game season ( 2.5 per game ) is NOT going to get the backup ready if they have to come in against a mad fired up 1st team D for a SEC opponent.

You do it to get their feet wet.  Nothing more nothing less. 

Also your calculation for per game IS meaningless since the backup isn't getting in every game.

Ugly Uncle

Lou Holtz used to try to get his back up QB in on the third series of the game...if I remember correctly.  Put him out there and let him run the offense.  Anyone else remember that?
Retired Radio Host

hogsanity

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 21, 2017, 03:45:10 pm
Lou Holtz used to try to get his back up QB in on the third series of the game...if I remember correctly.  Put him out there and let him run the offense.  Anyone else remember that?

Yes. Some of us remember when they played with leather helmets and no face masks too, but that does not mean that is what is done now.

Quote from: tampahog on August 21, 2017, 03:39:38 pm
Regardless of what other teams do or what is typical in the NFL where there are very few blowouts, if we have a comfortable lead, we should be building depth at the most important position on the team for 3 reasons:  1) to have real world experience in our backup if something were to happen to AA this year, 2) to reduce the risk of injury to AA in a meaningless situation, and 3) to build experience in our potential starter for next year and get the first game jitters out of the way now rather than next year.  The only argument against this is if our starter is still learning or we have a totally new offense that we need to break in and I don't feel that's the case with us this year.

It really doesn't matter to me if backup gets his reps with the 1st team or 2nd team.  When I say meaningful reps, what I mean is actually let them run the offense in it's entirety and try to move the chains (which is more than just trying to run the clock out).  If Saban chose not to develop a backup behind Hurts, then IMO he is taking a calculated risk but fortunately for him, he has great pass protection and a very mobile QB which are luxuries we haven't had lately. 

The backups should play when the team is way ahead or behind, but that is still not going to get them ready, especially at QB, to face a 1st team from a sec school.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 21, 2017, 03:45:10 pm

Yep.  In 1977, it was the Right Reverend himself behind Calcagni, the next year Kevin Scanlon.

Polecat

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on August 21, 2017, 09:44:12 am
If you announce #2 too early, you're going to have someone transfer out.

Isn't there still a need for a couple guys to transfer out, in order to get under the 85 limit?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HogHomer

So you pull up CBB's first year where he had a QB transfer and we were redshirting AA btw (we would have a new starter this year if he played in the Mizzou game) CBB has brought some very talented QBs to Arkansas and they will prove it when they are the starter just as AA did and I think he did pretty well I his first year with a struggling oline. Only major playing time he got before last year was the ole miss game where he came in, managed the game and we won. Just as a back up should do.

hobhog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 21, 2017, 03:20:07 pm
I think it's been decided.

I believe the two involved will know as early as tomorrow and the rest of us shortly thereafter.

yep- thought I read this in ADG this weekend. I think someone will start taking more reps in practice this week.......

Atlhogfan1

Tough to be critical of Bielema when it comes to qb depth those first few seasons.  Pretty ** to do so in fact in regards to the 13 season.  The qb depth chart was a great example of just how much of a rebuild this was going to be.  If you want to bring up the fact he couldn't keep Mitchell, then make your spin although we have rehashed this on here.  Or some of his Wisconsin qb decisions if you want to reach. 

I've been one to favor letting the backup play when possible and not just take a knee or hand off to end a game.  When a game is out of reach, let the backup play.  But I also get that some college coaches tend to have the NFL mindset that the starting qb is going to play nearly every down if possible.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tampahog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 03:59:17 pm
Yes. Some of us remember when they played with leather helmets and no face masks too, but that does not mean that is what is done now.

The backups should play when the team is way ahead or behind, but that is still not going to get them ready, especially at QB, to face a 1st team from a sec school.
I agree it doesn't get them fully ready but at least it gets them one step closer

Deep Shoat

This thread = SSDD

Might as well start a GSD thread.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Oh, and the decision is made.  Cole Kelley will be announced tomorrow.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Tyro3

Backup qb's  may not get to play MEANINGFUL SNAPS ( whatever that means) but they get another year in the system, learning the playbook, being coached by Enos, and maturing and that is meaningful.

Dwillhog66

We didn't lose that game because of BA. As I remember it BA completed a couple passes on 3rd or 4th down to give us a 1st down and kept us alive. A fumble by AC ended that final drive.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HogHomer on August 21, 2017, 04:21:31 pm
So you pull up CBB's first year where he had a QB transfer and we were redshirting AA btw (we would have a new starter this year if he played in the Mizzou game) CBB has brought some very talented QBs to Arkansas and they will prove it when they are the starter just as AA did and I think he did pretty well I his first year with a struggling oline. Only major playing time he got before last year was the ole miss game where he came in, managed the game and we won. Just as a back up should do.
Fail, AA was not red shirting, he had just finished off the Ole miss game for us because BA got knocked out. AA should have started the 2nd half, BA couldn't hardly stand up much less win an SEC game.

Mike Irwin

The two QBs not named Austin Allen that impressed me the most in the two preseason scrimmages were Carson Proctor and Jack Lindsey. They were the only QBs to score against the No. 1 defense. Lindsey was particularly impressive because he directed a ball control drive against the ones while Proctor got his TD on one big play. At one point Lindsey side stepped a blitzing linebacker and found a receiver to the one yard line, then got the TD on a one yard pass. Both QBs were working with the No. 2 offense.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 21, 2017, 05:37:57 pm
Oh, and the decision is made.  Cole Kelley will be announced tomorrow.

rzrbkman

Quote from: HogHomer on August 21, 2017, 04:21:31 pm

You need to check your Austin Allen math. It's not correct.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: gchamblee on August 21, 2017, 01:54:55 pm
Mahomes left a game early due to injury, and all Tech does is throw the ball. Nice try.
Lol..exactly, the guy probably had 58 attempts on one drive.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 21, 2017, 06:01:45 pm
The two QBs not named Austin Allen that impressed me the most in the two preseason scrimmages were Carson Proctor and Jack Lindsey. They were the only QBs to score against the No. 1 defense. Lindsey was particularly impressive because he directed a ball control drive against the ones while Proctor got his TD on one big play. At one point Lindsey side stepped a blitzing linebacker and found a receiver to the one yard line, then got the TD on a one yard pass. Both QBs were working with the No. 2 offense.

Thanks, Mike, for the update.  But, I never know how to feel when one side beats our other side!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

swinesation

I can only conclude the guys arguing on this thread simply like to argue.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 09:52:44 am
My mistake, that's right he was still playing in the 4th Q of a game the Hogs were up by about 30 in.

Not true.

It was the Vandy game, but that was a game we struggled put any distance between us in the first  half. We were actually losing to Vandy in the 2nd quarter of the game. We were up by 21 at the time that Childs got injured. The drive started with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and you don't really sub in backups in the middle of a drive. Childs was injured on the first play of the 4th quarter.

Up by 21 points in an SEC game with James Franklin as the opposing coach with nearly 20 minutes of game ahead is in no form a comfortable lead.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 01:36:27 pm
Not true.

It was the Vandy game, but that was a game we struggled put any distance between us in the first  half. We were actually losing to Vandy in the 2nd quarter of the game. We were up by 21 at the time that Childs got injured. The drive started with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and you don't really sub in backups in the middle of a drive. Childs was injured on the first play of the 4th quarter.

Up by 21 points in an SEC game with James Franklin as the opposing coach with nearly 20 minutes of game ahead is in no form a comfortable lead.

Caldwell was coaching Vandy.  Their offense couldn't move the ball at all after their 2nd possession.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 01:36:27 pm
Not true.

That was a Vandy team that finished 2-10. They had fewer than 200 yards total offense that day against the Hogs. Lets not make them out to be anything they were not. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 02:06:53 pm
Caldwell was coaching Vandy.  Their offense couldn't move the ball at all after their 2nd possession.

True. Franklin came in the next year.

They didn't score after the second possession but we were losing to them in the second quarter.

21 point lead with 20 minutes left in the game was not a comfortable enough situation to put in the backups.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse