Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-time Razorback team

Started by razorhogfanatic, August 02, 2013, 09:41:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhogfanatic

12 man roster, filling the positions adequately, who would your all-time razorback team be? Starters and reserves?

H-O-double g

PF-Corliss
SF-Day
C-Kliene
SG-Moncrief
PG-Mayberry

Reserves: Alvin Robertson, Darrell Walker, Ronnie Brewer, Scotty Thurman, Joe Johnson, Oliver Miller, Derek Hood (needed another big on the roster)

Rooster Hogburn

Cory Beck, Keith Wilson, Kareem Reid, ray Biggers, and Marvin Delphi.

Small ball, runnin em outaa the gym
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

secfan30

Quote from: H-O-double g on August 02, 2013, 11:51:58 pm
PF-Corliss
SF-Day
C-Kliene
SG-Moncrief
PG-Mayberry

Reserves: Alvin Robertson, Darrell Walker, Ronnie Brewer, Scotty Thurman, Joe Johnson, Oliver Miller, Derek Hood (needed another big on the roster)

Andrew Lang was a monster shot blocker.

Ray Piggers

PG Lee Mayberry
SG Scotty Thurman
SF Todd Day
PF Corliss Williamson
C  Oliver Miller

Reserves: Corey Beck, Ronnie Brewer, Joe Johnson, Dwight Stewart, Joe Kliene, Sidney Moncrief, Lenzie Howell
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

MtPorker

Moncrief would never be a reserve on any razorback team.

maxhog5

PG-Lee Mayberry
SG-Marvin Delph
SG-Sidney Moncrief
C-Joe Kleine
PF-Corliss Williamson

Joe Johnson, Oliver Miller, Scotty Thurman, Todd Day, Scott Hastings, Ron Brewer, Alvin Robertson

The_Iceman

PG: Lee Mayberry
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF: Todd Day
PF: Corliss
C: Joe Kleine

G: Corey Beck
G: Marvin Delph
G: Ronnie Brewer
G/F: Joe Johnson
F: Scotty Thurman
F/C: Scott Hastings
C: Oliver Miller

I wonder if by the end of his career here if Bobby Portis would get any mentions on a list like this?

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Hogimus Prime

G-Mayberry
G-Moncrief
G/F-Johnson
F-Williamson
C-Miller

C/F Kleine, Lang
G-Beck
G/F-Day, Thurman, Walker, Robertson

The Hogs have had a lot of great swingmen in the 6'4" to 6'8" range

Ray Piggers

Quote from: MtPorker on August 05, 2013, 04:37:59 pm
Moncrief would never be a reserve on any razorback team.

On mine he would be.

dhornjr1

Sidney Moncrief
Lee Mayberry
Todd Day
Corliss Wiliamson
Joe Kleine

Bench

Ron Brewer
Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Corey Beck
Oliver Miller
Dean Tolson
Martin Terry

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 05, 2013, 10:46:56 pm
On mine he would be.
Your age is showing.  But that's okay.  I loved May-Day and the Corliss era, but Moncrief was unreal.

[attachment deleted by admin]

McKdaddy

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 06, 2013, 12:51:15 am
Your age is showing.  But that's okay.  I loved May-Day and the Corliss era, but Moncrief was unreal.

Mayberry, Day , and Moncrief are equally my 3 all-time fav UA bb players, so this is not some old guy "back in my day" opinion. But with the exception of Taylor's list (apparently), nobody with an ounce of knowledge of the Moncrief era at the UA would put Moncrief on the the bench. He was incredible. He was UA bb.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

The real Hogules

PG - Corey Beck
SG - Scotty Thurman
SF - Todd Day
PF - Corliss Williamson
C  - Dwight Stewart

Reserves - Super Sid, Ron Brewer (Sr), Lee Mayberry, Big O, Marvin Delph, Joe Johnson, Rotnei Clark.

Just kidding about Rotnei Clark, #12 would seriously be Smokin Joe from Slater MO.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 05, 2013, 06:22:11 pm
PG: Lee Mayberry
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF: Todd Day
PF: Corliss
C: Joe Kleine

G: Corey Beck
G: Marvin Delph
G: Ronnie Brewer
G/F: Joe Johnson
F: Scotty Thurman
F/C: Scott Hastings
C: Oliver Miller

This is the list if you could add Darrell Walker and Alvin Robertson as walk ons. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: East TN HAWG on August 06, 2013, 03:34:54 pm
This is the list if you could add Darrell Walker and Alvin Robertson as walk ons. 

Walker was hard to leave off. It was down to him and Ronnie for me. Because I never got to see Walker play and because their stats are similar, I went with Ronnie. If Ronnie could have ever been on a college team where he wasn't the star player, he would have been amazing as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Hawg Red

I started to do this, but I couldn't bring myself to leave some of these guys off. Man, for a little state, we sure have had some pretty good players up on the Hill over history.

jseinfeld50

August 06, 2013, 05:42:22 pm #18 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:08:15 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: dhornjr1 on August 05, 2013, 11:08:33 pm
Sidney Moncrief
Lee Mayberry
Todd Day
Corliss Wiliamson
Joe Kleine

Bench

Ron Brewer
Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Corey Beck
Oliver Miller
Dean Tolson
Martin Terry

Great list.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 06, 2013, 03:54:41 pm
Walker was hard to leave off. It was down to him and Ronnie for me. Because I never got to see Walker play and because their stats are similar, I went with Ronnie. If Ronnie could have ever been on a college team where he wasn't the star player, he would have been amazing as a 2nd or 3rd option.

When you said Ron Brewer, I thought you meant senior.  Walker was very good on the defensive end.  He was not overly fast, but he had extremely long arms with very quick hands.  That combination made it very rough of the opposing offenses.

I would place Ron Senior, Walker and Robertson all in front of Ron Jr.  Basketball is different now, and to Ron Jr defense he did not stay long enough to mature like many of the other former greats did.  Another year and I may have changed my mind and Jr would be in the last slot. 

Ray Piggers

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 06, 2013, 05:27:45 am
Mayberry, Day , and Moncrief are equally my 3 all-time fav UA bb players, so this is not some old guy "back in my day" opinion. But with the exception of Taylor's list (apparently), nobody with an ounce of knowledge of the Moncrief era at the UA would put Moncrief on the the bench. He was incredible. He was UA bb.

Really.... You're really gonna discredit my knowledge over not starting Sidney Moncrief on my all time team hahaha

I thought more than the starting 5 played in this mythical basketball game, my apologies.

Farrestor

QuoteSidney Moncrief
Lee Mayberry
Todd Day
Corliss Wiliamson
Joe Kleine

Bench

Ron Brewer
Darrell Walker
Alvin Robertson
Corey Beck
Oliver Miller
Dean Tolson
Martin Terry

Not a great list because the 2nd best razorback to ever put on a uniform (Joe Johnson) isn't on the list
King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 06, 2013, 12:51:15 am

I agree. But, this wasn't the all time top 5 Razorbacks (Which would include Moncrief) this was the TEAM. I only assumed Nolan would be coach. Sid was a defensive nightmare, and would anchor my second unit. lol

jseinfeld50

August 07, 2013, 04:01:53 am #23 Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:29:11 am by jseinfeld50
Quote from: Farrestor on August 06, 2013, 11:30:49 pm
Not a great list because the 2nd best razorback to ever put on a uniform (Joe Johnson) isn't on the list

Best Razorback would be defined by his body of work while at the UofA. JJ only played for the Hogs for 1 1/2 yrs. His stats and body of work is only for 1 1/2 yrs and while very good they do not necessarily trump the performance of the other players in the list who played 3 or 4 years.

Farrestor

QuoteBest Razorback would be defined by his body of work while at the UofA. He is/was the best NBA player who played for the Hogs but JJ only played for the Hogs for 1 1/2 yrs. His stats and body of work is only for 1 1/2 yrs and while very good they do not necessarily trump the performance of the other players in the list who played 3 or 4 years.

I don't let academics and talent that is so good it moves up get in my way of who the best team would be. Joe was amazing on a sorry team and is on the list without question. To me it is almost like leaving Sidney or Day off. But that's just me.  I know people will laugh at this too but I also think Pargo was super underrated too because of his sorry team.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.

McKdaddy

Are we basing this off of their overall career (incl nba) or just their time as Hog? Just based on their time as Hogs, I would have trouble removing anyone from dhornjr1's list to make room for Joe. If we are including nba resumes, then Joe and Moncrief would be consensus starters on this team.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Farrestor on August 07, 2013, 07:22:39 am
I don't let academics and talent that is so good it moves up get in my way of who the best team would be.

So, by this rationale, William Mills should be on the list, right? He was without question one of the most talented players the Razorbacks have had. Hell, I guess Courtney Fortson and Patrick Beverley should be on there, too.

choppedporkextrasauce

Moncrief was such a great player, physically and mentally, he wouldn't care if he came of the bench if he thought it was best for team. No matter what he would be the leader.

I often imagine how great defensive players like Sidney, Alvin, and especially Darrell Walker would have fared in a 40 minutes of hell system. Darrell was such a defensive nightmare, and perhaps the greatest defensive guard we've ever seen at Arkansas, he'd have been a absolute terror on the press.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 07, 2013, 12:01:22 am
I agree. But, this wasn't the all time top 5 Razorbacks (Which would include Moncrief) this was the TEAM. I only assumed Nolan would be coach. Sid was a defensive nightmare, and would anchor my second unit. lol

I wouldn't think to have the greatest player in school history as the anchor of the 2nd unit.

I get what you're saying, but seriously, Moncrief is the best player to ever play at Arkansas. Better than Corliss, even.

Hawg Red

How was Joe Johnson a better Razorback than Corliss Williamson or Sidney Moncrief?

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 07, 2013, 09:09:00 am

I get what you're saying, but seriously, Moncrief is the best player to ever play at Arkansas. Better than Corliss, even.

Agreed. When Moncrief left the UA...
-- he was first in all-time scoring; he is second now.
-- he was first in all-time rebounds; he is first now (at 6'3").
-- his rebounds/game are fantastic....'76  7.6/gm, '77  8.4/gm, '78  7.7/gm, and '79  9.6/gm.
-- assists don't appear in the UA record book till the '78 season. In '79, he led the team in assists, rebounds, and scoring.

Corliss and team got us a title, and for that I'll be forever grateful. IMO, Corliss ranks as our 2nd greatest Razorback bb player, only behind Moncrief.

thirrdegreetusker

Corliss
Klein
Tolson
OMiller
Brewer Sr
Mayberry
Walker
Robertson
Moncrief
Terry
Day
Beck

Terry and Day were nothing special on defense, but they could fill it up. Beck was not a scoring machine, but his leadership and intangibles were off the charts. 

McKdaddy

Day and his long arms were great in Nolan's press.

Nipsey Mussle

Where's Rakestraw, Sanchez and the man, the myth, the legend Levan Patsatsia on your lists? Your age is showing!

Nipsey Mussle

From when I started watching (1987) : Keith Wilson, Lang, Howell, Corliss, Scotty, Day, Mayberry, Big O, Joe Johnson, Beck, McDaniel, Brewer and many others. My first game was Rice vs Hogs at Barnhill and all I remember is Antonio Lang missing a major throwdown.

If the NBA Rule had started earlier, we could've added Al Jefferson to this list. He would've been an absolute beast, if only for a year.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on August 07, 2013, 11:32:39 am

Terry and Day were nothing special on defense, but they could fill it up. Beck was not a scoring machine, but his leadership and intangibles were off the charts.

271 steals, and 102 blocked shots as a wing player say he kind of was.

Farrestor

QuoteHow was Joe Johnson a better Razorback than Corliss Williamson or Sidney Moncrief?

He wasn't better than moncrief that is why he was second. And in my opinion, When Joe Played for Arkansas (Not NBA) He was the 2nd best player we ever had play for us. Corliss was awesome and probably 3rd or 4th Maybe Alvin, Their team definatley had more success. And I know we all love Big Nasty, but he wasn't even close to me talented wise as Joe was WHEN HE PLAYED FOR ARKANSAS. I understand that his team sucked though. It's kind of like Pargo who's go to guy was Dinizio Gomez, but that doesn't mean he wasn't awesome. I know you will all will disagree because of the national championship nostaligia, but Joe Johnson was a better PG and SG than Day or Mayberry as a freshmen, of course his TEAM wasn't as good.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Farrestor on August 07, 2013, 06:39:19 pm
He wasn't better than moncrief that is why he was second. And in my opinion, When Joe Played for Arkansas (Not NBA) He was the 2nd best player we ever had play for us. Corliss was awesome and probably 3rd or 4th Maybe Alvin, Their team definatley had more success. And I know we all love Big Nasty, but he wasn't even close to me talented wise as Joe was WHEN HE PLAYED FOR ARKANSAS. I understand that his team sucked though. It's kind of like Pargo who's go to guy was Dinizio Gomez, but that doesn't mean he wasn't awesome. I know you will all will disagree because of the national championship nostaligia, but Joe Johnson was a better PG and SG than Day or Mayberry as a freshmen, of course his TEAM wasn't as good.

By "nostalgia", do you mean multiple All-American honors?

Yes, Corliss' teams were much better than Joe Johnson's teams, but it has to be noted that he was a HUGE reason why. Think about how hard it is for a school to go to back-to-back national championship games. Razorbacks did that because they had a stud like Corliss. I just don't think you can come in here and argue that Joe Johnson was a better Razorback.....because his team was worse? I don't see how that really backs you up. Joe Johnson was a pretty good college player and Corliss was an exceptional college player. There really is no viable argument.

razorhogfanatic

Hey all! Great input! Check out my new thread: Other All-Razorback Teams!  :razorback:

Ibleedred2

BEST 12

Moncrief
R. Brewer Sr.
Robertson
Kliene
Walker
Mayberry
Day
Miller
Williamson
Thurman
Beck
Johnson

jseinfeld50

Quote from: BBsTheMan on August 07, 2013, 01:04:33 pm
Where's Rakestraw, Sanchez and the man, the myth, the legend Levan Patsatsia on your lists? Your age is showing!

And we left out Jay Crane (CO), Michael Watley (Fort Worth Dunbar), Shaheed Ali (transfer from Kentucky State), and Scott Horrell (Marmaduke).

McKdaddy

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on August 07, 2013, 07:49:58 pm
And we left out Jay Crane (CO), Michael Watley (Fort Worth Dunbar), Shaheed Ali (transfer from Kentucky State), and Scott Horrell (Marmaduke).

Crane was phenomenal.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 07, 2013, 08:08:21 pm
Crane was phenomenal.

:o :o ;D ;D  I am surprised anyone remembers him.

He did make at least one HS All-American team in both FB and BB. He was a S or DB in FB - imagine a 6'8" guy in the secondary.

McKdaddy

August 07, 2013, 08:36:50 pm #43 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:02:32 am by McKdaddy
I stated earlier that Moncrief, IMO, is the greatest BB Hog, with Corliss second. However my fav BB Hog was/is Todd Day. Despite his faults, I loved his defense (especially in the press),his shooting, lanky-bodied drives to the basket, his swagger, etc. Yes, he could score 20 points in a half, then 0 in the other half (seems like something similar occurred notably in the '92 NCAA 2nd Rd game vs Memphis, and in the '91 Elite 8 game vs KU), but I loved his game overall.

Day:

Nipsey Mussle

Stats:
Corliss- 19 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assts
JJ- 15 pts, 6 rebs, 2 assts

Corliss won lots more than JJ, of course. Corliss playing with more talent around him helped him on the team success but probably took away from his individual numbers a bit (although they're still better than that of JJ).

I know you still won't budge, b/c that's what ppl do on here, but unless you're looking at Nba success as a factor there's no way you can say JJ was better.

choppedporkextrasauce

Joe Johnson should not even be considered among the great.

He played less than 2 seasons.

Other players gave far more and should receive far more consideration that a player who used the Hogs simply as a stepping stone to the pros.

alaback

Can't believe U.S. Reed didn't make anyone's list.

Big Nasty 34

Since JJ played on a much lesser team, he should've had much better numbers than Corliss. Corliss played with multiple guys who could score 20 each night. So, the fact that CW had better numbers leaves no real argument for JJ.

Farrestor

Quoteno way you can say JJ was better

Joe Johnson was better. And it wasn't really close.

QuoteOther players gave far more and should receive far more consideration that a player who used the Hogs simply as a stepping stone to the pros.

Yes after 1 1/2 years, even professional scouts thought he was so good he should be taken in the first round. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Farrestor on August 08, 2013, 05:59:52 am
Joe Johnson was better. And it wasn't really close.

Yes after 1 1/2 years, even professional scouts thought he was so good he should be taken in the first round. 

That's your argument....that scouts that he should be taken in the first round? Wow.

14.2ppg 46.8 fg% 74.7 ft% 2.6apg 6.4 rpg 0.4bpg 1.4stl

That's one of the top 2 players to ever play for Arkansas? I think if you completely removed what Joe has done in the pros from your subconscious, you would not be saying that about Joe.